Sign in to follow this  
Tjinjatu

Learning how to 'Slip'?

So i cant slip punches at all!!!!

Of course i know it takes years of practice but in the disciplines i train (Muay Thai and HKD) i haven't learnt how to do it at all.

This year im devoting most of my time to BJJ and Wrestling so i was wondering if anyone could tell me where you start?

Are there some beginner drills or something i can do to try and learn how to slip because at this moment i dont have the time to go to a boxing coach?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Of course i know it takes years of practice but in the disciplines i train (Muay Thai and HKD) i haven't learnt how to do it at all.

This year im devoting most of my time to BJJ and Wrestling so i was wondering if anyone could tell me where you start?

Are there some beginner drills or something i can do to try and learn how to slip because at this moment i dont have the time to go to a boxing coach?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

http://www.5min.com/

some good videos on there with some basic boxing instruction and drills. the videos by Adolfo are the best.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Don't know of any specific drills that wouldn't require a partner.

If the opponent throws straight punches, you want to slip your head whichever way the punch is coming. Into it, not away. If the guy throws a straight right, you move your head left and slightly forward (towards him). The reason is the punch can't be adjusted mid-throw to move to the same side it's coming from. The punch is basically like throwing an object, it won't be able to adjust at the kinds of velocities it's being thrown at in a real fight. Moving the same way the punch is, (IE: Back or right when the from a right straight) the punch can simply be lengthened to. If he throws a right and you move right he just kind of has to follow through.

Some are tentative and a bit scared to move their head into a punch. But assured, it is the best way. Hooks are slightly different than straight punches. Just go under and into.

I'm sure you can find some beginner tutorials on youtube or something. But as far as drills? Kinda requires a partner and some gloves. Or you can stand against a wall, stay stationary and do the head slipping ball drill. Get a friend with a rubber ball (preferably the size of a fist) and have him throw it at decent speeds (but not too fast obviously) and slip them accordingly without moving your feet.

Thanks guys.

Yeah i know the theory of how to do it but im just terrible at it :P

I'll check out that video when i get home seeing as my stupid work computer blocks any videos!

Thanks again.

Slipping a punch can be tricky, most people when they first start want to jus slip straigh outside but this is wrong. When you slip you want to move your head towards and outside the punch with a slight shoulder roll keeping your inside guard up. I.E if your sliping a left jab move your head towards the left and downwards at a slight angle keeping your right hand in a decent guard.

I could show you better then telling you. However you don't want to slip straight out as you won't be set to throw a punch and never slip to the inside

Sliping a hook is more of a boobing and weaving motion then a slip