Does Maynard deserve a shot at the title?

Enthusiast

No. Look, I know these are professional athletes but all tonight proved to me is that Penn will just destroy Maynard. If you can't convincingly beat someone who isn't a top 5 contender at lightweight then you have no shot at Penn! In my (worthless) opinion we should see a Maynard vs Edgar and Florian vs Stevenson card, the winner's of both those fights fight each other for the #1 contender. It's a theory, it might be wrong.

Maynard's not ready. He was tired in the third round. His conditioning's not ready for a 5*5minutes bout. Plus I don't think he'd last more than 2 rounds against Penn.

Edgar deserves it more but again, I don't think he's ready for Penn.

UFC should let Penn fight in WW until they find a contender that might put Penn in trouble. By seeing if Edgar can get a (easy) win against Kenflo / Sanchez for instance.

Maynard's not ready. He was tired in the third round. His conditioning's not ready for a 5*5minutes bout. Plus I don't think he'd last more than 2 rounds against Penn.

Edgar deserves it more but again' date=' I don't think he's ready for Penn.

UFC should let Penn fight in WW until they find a contender that might put Penn in trouble. By seeing if Edgar can get a (easy) win against Kenflo / Sanchez for instance.[/quote']

dude if he fights penn he wont have to worry about that, bj will have him outta there inside 3 minutes

dude if he fights penn he wont have to worry about that' date=' bj will have him outta there inside 3 minutes[/quote']

That's what I told the sentence after.

And that's the reason why UFC shouldn't make Penn lose his time. They should organize fights between the top contender in the division and find the right one for the end of the year (interim LW belt would be good). In the meanwhile, Penn could fight once or twice in the WW division against Alves/Fitch/Koscheck.. That would be much more exciting than a Penn - Maynard in 2 month :/

That's what I told the sentence after.

And that's the reason why UFC shouldn't make Penn lose his time. They should organize fights between the top contender in the division and find the right one for the end of the year (interim LW belt would be good). In the meanwhile' date=' Penn could fight once or twice in the WW division against Alves/Fitch/Koscheck.. That would be much more exciting than a Penn - Maynard in 2 month :/[/quote']

IMO if maynard or edgar want a title shot they should have to go through sanchez or florian as they are the top 2 in the division besides penn, and may i say top 2 by a long way

I agree. If not for Penn. I think that Sanchez and Florian would have a Faber v Brown kinda relationship. Super competitive fights between the two...and obviously a cut about the rest. (pre-aldo)

I say...coin toss...Maynard fights Florian...Edgar fights Sanchez... or vice versa

Those fights would be much more fun to watch than...either Maynard or Edgar v Penn.

They both lose..and badly..

BJ to 170 barring any new talent in the LW division

Cheers

-DR

I'm pretty sure that Penn/Edgar is happening in Abu Dhabi.

Sadly...I agree. It's where my money would be if I had to bet.

Shame really...I dont want Penn to lose the edge and focus he's had these last two fights.

It's really not fair to Edgar..to have him go into an all but guaranteed loss. And it's not fair to Penn to give him a fight he doesn't even have to train for.

Seriously...just have Penn jog every morning from now until the fight. No sparring. And he STILL destroys Edgar.

This IS NOT a healthy situation for a guy who is KNOWN to need a challenge to get him in the right frame of mind to be a champ, and perform to his best.

If Penn slacked I wouldn't be concerned for him in the Edgar fight..at all. My concern is...lets say he beats Edgar. Maynard fights Florian...loses. Give Penn the opportunity to jump to 170 because there are no viable contenders....but by the time this happens..Penn hasn't thought about seriously training for what? 6 months? 8? more?

This isn't fair for anyone. Not Penn. Not Edgar/Maynard. And not the fans.

Cheers

-DR

I reckon Edgar is next, even though I thinkhe's just BJ fodder.

Penn has already beaten the best at LW and for the next-but-one contender, a mini tournament between the promising Maynard, the previously impressive Sanchez, the improved KenFlo and the always good Joe Stevenson would be best.

Give Penn a fopray into WW and that has his 2010 covered, and perhaps someone new and interesting will present for a title shot in 2011 - Gomi perhaps, or even the muchb discussed match with Shinya Aoki?

There is in no way that last nite was any type of measuring stick for Maynard or Diaz to be bumped to number 1 contender, and that fight was a weak boxing match, 3 rounds of them swinging at each other and then calling each other a bi*ch , but neither did realy any damage at any point. I think someon eelse mentioned it ealier in the posts as well, about their conditioning, both these fighters were almost exhausted by the 3rd round, could you imagine either of them fighting the new and improved cardio of BJ penn lol he'd eat them alive. I dont in any way see Maynard being at number 1 , and it certainly showed last nite.

He doesnt deserve the shot at all' date=' IMO, but no one really does. I guess BJ must be really bored of the division right now, if only there wasnt a certain dominant canadian kicking crap out of ALL the WW's ;)

well, until hardy knocks him out :) haha[/quote']

Lmao , I hope your not betting your farm on Hardy, cuz I think you'll be finding it very cold, hell I want to see Bj come up with his new conditioning and fight Alves or Jon Fitch, and maybe use that as a step towards a rematch vs that pesky canadian huh.

Lmao ' date=' I hope your not betting your farm on Hardy, cuz I think you'll be finding it very cold, hell I want to see Bj come up with his new conditioning and fight Alves or Jon Fitch, and maybe use that as a step towards a rematch vs that pesky canadian huh.[/quote']

haha, no im not risking my cold farm :)

remember serra didnt stand a chance against gsp, and he nearly... oh wait... he did beat him. f**k it, im betting the farm haha

Just look at who BJ has recently faced, Kenny Florian, Joe Stevenson, Diego Sanchez...and now were talking about another lame TUF contestant, Gray Maynard? Is it any wonder that a fighter as experienced and talented as Penn is looking like a god against these scrubs? Christ, what a weak division. The UFC needs start worrying more about recruiting some better talent and less about padding BJ's record.

No. Look' date=' I know these are professional athletes but all tonight proved to me is that Penn will just destroy Maynard. If you can't convincingly beat someone who isn't a top 5 contender at lightweight then you have no shot at Penn! In my (worthless) opinion we should see a Maynard vs Edgar and Florian vs Stevenson card, the winner's of both those fights fight each other for the #1 contender. It's a theory, it might be wrong.[/quote']

Seriously though, do you never want Bj to fight?

Maynard is a better fighter than what we saw lastnight. He just wanted to knockout Diaz so bad that he got a little sloppy and gassed out from swinging so hard. It's amazing he didn't spin on a couple of those swings. He has already schooled Frankie Edgar. Maynard has more than earned his title shot. Win or lose against Penn, he has earned his chance. One thing I like about Maynard is his footwork and hands. I think his boxing is the best in the LW division outside that of Penn. Against Penn, he will stick with his gameplan and you will see the real Maynard. Even if he doesn't beat Penn, I believe he will give Penn a little more trouble than any of his past opponents in the LW division. Maynard has the best wrestling at his weightclass and he uses pretty crafty submissions from the top that is usually different from other fighters.

does any1 actually want him to fight for the title??

this guy is so boring' date=' what the hell was that #1 contender the fight with Diaz was awful![/quote']

I don't even know why they called it a number one contender fight. No way Diaz was going to get a shot regardless of how he won. Edgar deserves the shot though no one of the aforementioned names has a shot in hell against Penn.

Tyson Griffin is the only guy at 155 who Penn has not cleaned out that I want to see eventually fight for the title. But let's be real folks, Penn cleaned out Florian and Sanchez so who else really a chance at 155?

Frankie defeated Griffin and Maynard totally handled Frankie. I like all 3 of these fighters' date=' but you have to give the title shot to Maynard. Maynard is logically the next #1 contender. No way around the facts.[/quote']

tyson got robed on the decision with edgar in my opinion ..

def need to rematch.. maynard is an embarrassing fight against BJ .. id rather watch diego get owned again .. at least he made it as far as he did

he looked horrible against a horrible looking diaz .. they need to keep everyone under #1 fighting a lil bit more to make it a better shot .. id rather see frankie vs. tyson II than bj vs. anyone at this point

I don't even know why they called it a number one contender fight. No way Diaz was going to get a shot regardless of how he won. Edgar deserves the shot though no one of the aforementioned names has a shot in hell against Penn.

Tyson Griffin is the only guy at 155 who Penn has not cleaned out that I want to see eventually fight for the title. But let's be real folks' date=' Penn cleaned out Florian and Sanchez so who else really a chance at 155?[/quote']

Exactly, If penn was able to slaughter florian and sanchez then no one else in the division is going to stand a chance. BJ is a better boxer than everyone in the division, so it's a bad idea to stand with him but he probably is in the top 5 bjj guys in the ufc and easily has the best in the LW divison. I will say though that sanchez is not the best takedown artist nor the best wrestler in the division but he was still unable to take penn down once.

Maynard would get massacered on the feet if he boxes the way he did against diaz, penn would just pick him apart. But I think maynard would be the only dude left in the LW divison that could take him down

Frankie defeated Griffin and Maynard totally handled Frankie. I like all 3 of these fighters' date=' but you have to give the title shot to Maynard. Maynard is logically the next #1 contender. No way around the facts.[/quote']

by this logic everyone is the number one contender you can't go on wins and losses and who has beat whom you have to go off of improvement and heart

No. Look' date=' I know these are professional athletes but all tonight proved to me is that Penn will just destroy Maynard. If you can't convincingly beat someone who isn't a top 5 contender at lightweight then you have no shot at Penn! In my (worthless) opinion we should see a Maynard vs Edgar and Florian vs Stevenson card, the winner's of both those fights fight each other for the #1 contender. It's a theory, it might be wrong.[/quote']

Maynard shouldn't have to bully anymore opponents like he has been doing without fighting for the title. Let's see how he does. Maynard has already beaten Edgar. Why should he have to defeat him again before he himself gets beat. Does not make sense.

The fact is Maynard beat a different Frankie nearly a year ago. Since then, and in fact since his first fight in the UFC, he's finished NO ONE. Besides which his last two wins were SPLIT decisions

Edgar's last last fight was a submission over very strong wrestler Matt Veach, handling the bigger, stronger wrestler, regaining his feet and using his superior speed and above-his-weight punching power to rock, and then strangle him for the finish. Three of his fights have earned FoTN honors proving, while he holds a loss to Maynard, he is the more dynamic, impressive and deserving contender.

Having said all that, neither will likely beat Penn, but if Edgar goes in there he will bring it and throw everything he has into trying for a win. I see Maynard just trying to squeak out a win, which he wouldn't.

Correct, really no one right now deserves a LW title shot, he's just going to demolish everyone

you cant judge how he would do against pen by this fight,

diaz is 6 feet tall pen is 5'9

big difference, plus like gray said it was personal and he was just throwing bombs not really boxing.

I think he stands the best chance right now but hell still lose.

Edgar deserves it more but again' date=' I don't think he's ready for Penn.

UFC should let Penn fight in WW until they find a contender that might put Penn in trouble. By seeing if Edgar can get a (easy) win against Kenflo / Sanchez for instance.[/quote']

It doesn't matter who fights who before Penn, no one is good enough to beat Penn unless they get lucky, like Rashad the lucky man Evans. Penn has a natural skill that can't be learned.

Archived