Amir's Muay Thai

DanielCharlesworth

To start, its great, his Muay Thia won me over as an Amir fan. Perfect techincal display against both Blackburn and Baroni; however, could he use it to finish his fights more on his feet? It seems a waste that he has such a great Muay Thai base with a varied arsenal of weapons, yet didnt manage to put away both Baroni and Blackburn, considering he had Blackburn hurt twice.

Thoughts?

Amir just needs a couple more fights and some more practice on finishing guys and he could be a scary (amir=scary? lol not even) person to fight against. He doesnt have the extreme knock out power but his technical skills are improving as we saw tonight by hurting blackburn twice.

To start' date=' its great, his Muay Thia won me over as an Amir fan. Perfect techincal display against both Blackburn and Baroni; however, could he use it to finish his fights more on his feet? It seems a waste that he has such a great Muay Thai base with a varied arsenal of weapons, yet didnt manage to put away both Baroni and Blackburn, considering he had Blackburn hurt twice.

Thoughts?[/quote']

Amir mentioned he wasn't too happy about not putting his strikes together more, he was being respectful of Bad Brad's power

I kinda wished Amir would've gone more for the kill rather than the takedown when he rocked Blackburn. He just didn't appear to have the killer instinct last night.

Loved the use of the teep kick and the knees, but he definitely let Brad off the hook a few times. Anyhow, good for Amir to get another win, just hope he developes some killer instinct AND interview skills lol

Never thought much of Amir in the past but after his last 2 fights I'm starting to take to him. Can't for the life of me understand why he took Blackburn down both times when he had him rocked and then did almost nothing on the ground *shrug*

I think Amir took him down because he knew he was in zero danger on the ground. He also maybe thought since Blackburn was so poor on the ground that he might be able to submit him. I agree though, he should have stayed on his feet and finished him.

The most impressive part of Amir's game is his defense. He can somehow cover his entire head with 4 oz gloves. He also has great head movement and timing.

To me it seems like Amir doesn't think he possess' the KO power he needs. IMO he was trying to get the fight to the ground to grind out the TKO via multiple strikes, but just couldn't get the position required to rain down the blows. I think if he had of kept it standing and landed a couple more clean shots he would have finished Bad Brad, but he is still young in his career, and has lots of time to figure out his "way" of finishing guys which I think we will see develop over his next few fights. And yes I watched the TUF season he won and am aware he finished every fight, but those fights are alot different from actual UFC fights, plus he seems to not want to submit guys these days, prefering to stand and bang!

CG

I think Amir took him down because he knew he was in zero danger on the ground. He also maybe thought since Blackburn was so poor on the ground that he might be able to submit him. I agree though' date=' he should have stayed on his feet and finished him.

The most impressive part of Amir's game is his defense. He can somehow cover his entire head with 4 oz gloves. He also has great head movement and timing.[/quote']

Not one time in the fight did Amir go for a sub. Which he should of cuz he would of got him easily. Amir is getting better every fight.

I've only seen Amir twice so far, getting pummeled by Johny Hendricks at 101 (early stoppage IMHO) and teeing off on a gassed out Baroni at 106. I was very impressed with his Muay Thai in this fight though, especially his knees in the clinch.

He wasn't able to finish Baroni because Phill has one hell of a chin (check out the Frank Shamrock Strikeforce-EliteXC fight as evidence) but also as WarBringer mentions above perhaps lacking in power as well.

Would love to see some of Amir's TUF fights, subbed C.B. Dollaway (9-2-0) in the first around at the final apparently.

He's muay thai looks pretty good but it almost seems like it lacks power. He needs to do some strength training.

maybe he doesnt have one strike ko power but he eaisly could o kod blackburn if he didnt take him down when he was rocked. amirs muay thai looks great and i love seeing the teeps and front kicks used i cant wait to see who he fights next.

I've only seen Amir twice so far' date=' getting pummeled by Johny Hendricks at 101 (early stoppage IMHO) and teeing off on a gassed out Baroni at 106. I was very impressed with his Muay Thai in this fight though, especially his knees in the clinch.

He wasn't able to finish Baroni because Phill has one hell of a chin (check out the Frank Shamrock Strikeforce-EliteXC as evidence) but also as WarBringer mentions above perhaps lacking in power as well.

Would love to see some of Amir's TUF fights, subbed C.B. Dollaway (9-2-0) in the first around at the final apparently.[/quote']

IIRC, he's subbed him twice.

I think Amir took him down because he knew he was in zero danger on the ground. He also maybe thought since Blackburn was so poor on the ground that he might be able to submit him. I agree though' date=' he should have stayed on his feet and finished him.

The most impressive part of Amir's game is his defense. He can somehow cover his entire head with 4 oz gloves. He also has great head movement and timing.[/quote']

Fully agree about the defense. He was getting rght up close to Brad and punching up close, and at the same time blocking Brads strikes effectively. He's definately got the potential, maybe just lacks that finishing killer instinct, but if you look at his mma record he's hardly the most weathered fighter, so theres always a chance he'll develop that instinct with experience.

Good luck to him, cant wait to see his next fight.

+1 yeah what he said

I thought he looked tough in his fight with Baroni and again last night. I think he's a bit cautious but he's finding his way and getting much needed experience; something he gives up much of to other fighters. Look forward to seeing more of him in up coming fights!

I wasnt a big fan of Amir before this fight but now im pretty amp to see him get back in the octogon again. I really thought he was gonna knock out Blackburn on a couple of shots and I think he keeps improving (alot). Lets wait and see.

I wasn't a big fan before the fight either.

But after the Baroni and Black burn fight I am putting Amir in another level. I think he will get his tittle shot pretty soon if he keep up with his performances.

By the way how cool was he in the interview after the fight with Jow Rogan??

I laughed hard!!!!

Besides being a good fighter he seems to have a very good personality too.

I liked his use of the front kick as an offensive move as well as a defensive move. I think he will struggle against bigger guys like Blackburn. He needs to build his strength in the clinch to be more of a threat there. Blackburn kept powering out of it. Great technique. I doubt Amir will be a contender within the next year but he will make a mark eventually.

To start' date=' its great, his Muay Thia won me over as an Amir fan. Perfect techincal display against both Blackburn and Baroni; however, could he use it to finish his fights more on his feet? It seems a waste that he has such a great Muay Thai base with a varied arsenal of weapons, yet didnt manage to put away both Baroni and Blackburn, considering he had Blackburn hurt twice.

Thoughts?[/quote']

I'd say he has the most "utilized" Muay Thai that I've ever seen.

Archived