abu dhabi buys 10 %

TrueGrit

I thought this was interesting...This was on mmafighting.com..

The UFC has announced that Flash Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Government of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, has purchased a 10 percent stake in Zuffa, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and World Extreme Cagefighting.

"Over the past few years, we have built a relationship with all levels of the Flash organization," UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta said in a statement. "They share our vision, passion, and enthusiasm for the UFC. We are confident that this partnership will accelerate the worldwide growth of the UFC."

Prior to this transaction, Fertitta owned 45 percent of the UFC, his brother Frank Fertitta owned another 45 percent, and UFC President Dana White owned the final 10 percent. UPDATE: The sale will dilute all existing owners proportionately, which means the Fertitta brothers now each own 40.5 percent, Abu Dhabi owns 10 percent and White owns 9 percent.

Said Ossama Khoreibi, chairman of Flash Entertainment, "Since our very first meeting, we were impressed by Lorenzo, Frank and Dana's commitment to growing UFC as a global sport. Flash is equally committed to building Abu Dhabi's profile as an international entertainment destination."

Flash Entertainment has put on concerts and tennis tournaments in Abu Dhabi, and in April will put on the first of what will presumably be many UFC events in Abu Dhabi. The fight card hasn't been officially announced, but it's expected to be a major show with a title fight as the main event.

Do you think that more fighters will come into the picture now that abu dhabi owns 10%?

Thoughts?

The phasing out of Dana White as the UFC figurehead is now underway. Nothing against Dana but if they want to be taken seriously in the eyes of the world they need a more diplomatic figure speaking on their behalf.

I dont think dana will be released from the UFC..

i hope he does get released. i don't think that he looks out for the best interest of the fighters. for example, not allowing clinch gear or condom depot to sponsor fighters. or the whole dan henderson ordeal.

the last time i seen a rich american business man do business with a wealthy saudi arabian was when george w bush was in the oil business making a deal with osama bin laden father im not making that up its true. osama bin laden dad is one of the richest man in saudi arabia if not the richest and osama is the black sheep of the family.

but the guy who bought part of ufc is alledgedly a big ufc fan.

we should have brock lesnar fight the best alkida fighter. like when rocky fought ivan drago in the cold war since we are bringing ufc to the middle east which is a good idea. ufc can solve the war problems

the last time i seen a rich american business man do business with a wealthy saudi arabian was when george w bush was in the oil business making a deal with osama bin laden father im not making that up its true. osama bin laden dad is one of the richest man in saudi arabia if not the richest and osama is the black sheep of the family.

we should have brock lesnar fight the best alkida fighter. like when rocky fought ivan drago in the cold war since we are bringing ufc to the middle east which is a good idea. ufc can solve the war problems

that would be tight..+1

Al Queda?

The phasing out of Dana White as the UFC figurehead is now underway. Nothing against Dana but if they want to be taken seriously in the eyes of the world they need a more diplomatic figure speaking on their behalf.

dana white and the ferreta brothers have been good friends since highschool so i dont think there going to get rid of dana white especially when dana white is the greatest president/promotor in pro sports today

i agree with u UFC should resolve diplomatic problems instead of war. but i disagree that Osama Bin Laden Jr is the black sheep, Im not from the US and obviously Im NOT with terrorism and all that stuff, but i do think the US government against the USSR occupation so I still believe that it was an inner job.

I Respect USA citizens but i really despise USA politics and if it was not an inner job i really think that the reason of that attack was a true quote: you get what you give!!!

tanto en los individuos como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Benito Juarez.

both in individuous as nations, respect for the rights of others is peace

dana white and the ferreta brothers have been good friends since highschool so i dont think there going to get rid of dana white especially when dana white is the greatest president/promotor in pro sports today

phasing out of dana? dont be ridiculous!

UFC is where it is at today because of dana and his team' date=' you dont get to the top by being a poor figurehead. dana has pushed ufc hard, and to the very top.[/quote']

Read my post on the page before this. They're not going to fire him. He just won't be the face of the UFC anymore in times to come. He connects with US Male 18-30... Thats it, no other demographic looks at Dana White as a steady businessman.

More than likely, as time goes on and future deals like this are made, Dana will become the TUF Host and a share holder.

Also, he is no where near the best promoter/president in pro sports. The Tour De France organizers pull in more cash then the UFC, FFS. MMA is still pretty small time on the grande scheme of pro sports gentleman. Quit drinking Dana's kool-aid.

+1...danas to rough around the edges to be a spokesman for MMA(ambassador)his potty mouth just diminshes the sport...when interviewed he may have valid points,but his constant F word overwhelms his valid points...and people just remember his F words...and think this man is the voice and president of the UFC?the powers to be seriously need to slowly move Dana to the back and get another voice for the cameras...his arrogance is out of control...let him work behind the scenes and muzzle him in front of the cameras

Also' date=' he is no where near the best promoter/president in pro sports. The Tour De France organizers pull in more cash then the UFC, FFS. MMA is still pretty small time on the grande scheme of pro sports gentleman. Quit drinking Dana's kool-aid.[/quote']

You joined this site because you love UFC yeah? I'd guess your fave mma org is UFC? and I think we all know who has pushed UFC to its current level and is pushing it more and more!

Now i'm not a huge fan of dana, but some of you act like ungrateful f**kers when you ask for the main driving force to be 'phased' out and host tuf etc.

To get away fro Dana bashing and back to the original point...

More importantly than bringing other fighters to the UFC, this deal opens up the Abu Dhabi International Grappling Championship Tournament to UFC fighters. We will get to answer some of those questions about just who are the best pure grapplers in MMA. GSP better be worried or his mystique us MMA's best grappler will be out the window!

To get away fro Dana bashing and back to the original point...

More importantly than bringing other fighters to the UFC' date=' this deal opens up the Abu Dhabi International Grappling Championship Tournament to UFC fighters. We will get to answer some of those questions about just who are the best pure grapplers in MMA. GSP better be worried or his mystique us MMA's best grappler will be out the window![/quote']

I like the idea of ufc fighters competing in the abu dhabi...didnt matt serra win one?

You joined this site because you love UFC yeah? I'd guess your fave mma org is UFC? and I think we all know who has pushed UFC to its current level and is pushing it more and more!

Now i'm not a huge fan of dana' date=' but some of you act like ungrateful f**kers when you ask for the main driving force to be 'phased' out and host tuf etc.[/quote']

I ask for him to be phased out as the figurehead because I want to see MMA legitimized by main stream media. That is not being ungrateful buddy. He is not a stable, intelligent figure that a company needs to gain international clout. Sorry to be the one to tell you, but, it's the truth.

I ask for him to be phased out as the figurehead because I want to see MMA legitimized by main stream media. That is not being ungrateful buddy. He is not a stable' date=' intelligent figure that a company needs to gain international clout. Sorry to be the one to tell you, but, it's the truth.[/quote']

The sport of MMA has been legitimized over the last ten years, thanks to the work of Dana White & the Fertitta brothers. Without Dana, the UFC would not be on Spike right now. There would be no network or cable outlets where you could watch MMA events. In fact, the UFC probably wouldn't even exist. Let's not forget that the UFC was on the verge os bankrupcy when Dana White had the foresight to convince the Fertittas to buy it. Dana, Frank & Lorenzo brought it back from nearly being out of business to building the entire sport of MMA to a legitimate, professional sport. To say that Dana is not an intelligent person just shows your complete ignorance. Only an intelligent business man can build a nearly bankrupt company to one worth hundreds of millions, within a decade. You may not like his personality, but he's obviously business mind to respect.

The sport of MMA has been legitimized over the last ten years' date=' thanks to the work of Dana White & the Fertitta brothers. Without Dana, the UFC would not be on Spike right now. There would be no network or cable outlets where you could watch MMA events. In fact, the UFC probably wouldn't even exist. Let's not forget that the UFC was on the verge os bankrupcy when Dana White had the foresight to convince the Fertittas to buy it. Dana, Frank & Lorenzo brought it back from nearly being out of business to building the entire sport of MMA to a legitimate, professional sport. To say that Dana is not an intelligent person just shows your complete ignorance. Only an intelligent business man can build a nearly bankrupt company to one worth hundreds of millions, within a decade. You may not like his personality, but he's obviously business mind to respect.[/quote']

You misunderstood the meaning of what I said. He is successful, so has a good business prowess. He is not politically correct, nor would any Fortune 500 company have a spokes person as brash as he is and be taken seriously on an international business level. Before you go jumping on about my ignorance maybe you should comprehend what I'm saying in the first place.

I ask for him to be phased out as the figurehead because I want to see MMA legitimized by main stream media. That is not being ungrateful buddy. He is not a stable' date=' intelligent figure that a company needs to gain international clout. Sorry to be the one to tell you, but, it's the truth.[/quote']

we will have to agree to disagree on this. Like i say, im not a massive dana fan, i just feel he has made MMA massive in the us/uk etc and the sport is just growing at an enormous rate.

You misunderstood the meaning of what I said. He is successful' date=' so has a good business prowess. He is not politically correct, nor would any Fortune 500 company have a spokes person as brash as he is and be taken seriously on an international business level. Before you go jumping on about my ignorance maybe you should comprehend what I'm saying in the first place.[/quote']

Im with hutch on this one kevbo, although i see your point, and its not how i first read your view, i still think youre very wrong. Dana is very smart, and although he is brash, i kinda think thats what the ufc needs to push it forward. a no holds barred figurehead rather some suit and tie PC guy saying what people want to hear instead of what they need. Infact sod it, the dana white fan club starts here, youre out on the curb tonight kevbo :D haha, catch you tomorrow for your reply mate, no doubt

You misunderstood the meaning of what I said. He is successful' date=' so has a good business prowess. He is not politically correct, nor would any Fortune 500 company have a spokes person as brash as he is and be taken seriously on an international business level. Before you go jumping on about my ignorance maybe you should comprehend what I'm saying in the first place.[/quote']

I see what you are saying and agree on a certain level but neither of us know his demeanor in the bordroom because this is where it is going to count in the realm you mention. Most of the men he will have to deal with will likely never see a UFC event, or promo, or commercial. Dana's public image would never fly in the boardroom but he must have one hell of a demeanor when he is in there because some big deals are getting done.

I see what you are saying and agree on a certain level but neither of us know his demeanor in the bordroom because this is where it is going to count in the realm you mention. Most of the men he will have to deal with will likely never see a UFC event' date=' or promo, or commercial. Dana's public image would never fly in the boardroom but he must have one hell of a demeanor when he is in there because some big deals are getting done.[/quote']

amen brother! consider yourself told kevbo :P

Archived