Why the hype over Mousasi?

Vaseline

I really dont get it. Some people make it out as if hes SUCH a threat to anyone, not at all.

No doubt he's a very good fighter, top 10 for sure. But in reality I dont see him doing that great against the top 5.

In his fight against Sokoudjou he showed that he didnt really have that great takedown defence when up against good TD artist. I wasnt impressed in that fight, and if sokoudjou had a decent cardio I would be confident enough to say he had that fight won.

Saying that, him vs Henderson is a sure win for Henderson in my opinon. I see Henderson beating him in all aspects of his game, except for maybe BJJ, which I believe Henderson can manage to avoid.

Nor would he do that well against the top contenders in the UFC LHW division

I really dont get it. Some people make it out as if hes SUCH a threat to anyone' date=' not at all.

No doubt he's a very good fighter, top 10 for sure. But in reality I dont see him doing that great against the top 5.

In his fight against Sokoudjou he showed that he didnt really have that great takedown defence when up against good TD artist. I wasnt impressed in that fight, and if sokoudjou had a decent cardio I would be confident enough to say he had that fight won.

Saying that, him vs Henderson is a sure win for Henderson in my opinon. I see Henderson beating him in all aspects of his game, except for maybe BJJ, which I believe Henderson can manage to avoid.

Nor would he do that well against the top contenders in the UFC LHW division[/quote']

Agreed. I think we learned alot from the Soko fight. I think what happens is...people aren't "students" of the sport. They don't learn to watch HOW a fighter achieves his success, and why it worked. The just spectate. And people put alot of stock in the word "Champion" in my mind...due to it's vastly superior talent pool. The UFC champions are the true champs. They have to get through alot stiffer and more consistent competition to get that belt. But other's who don't think about these things just see the word "champion." So when Mousasi beat Sobral and got a belt...all of a sudden this speculation began...as if the UFC title and the SF title were somehow comparable.

There is alot to be considered to really judge a fighters skill. And if you want to talk about "the best" anything you need to see that fighter against TOP competition. We haven't seen Mousasi in this situation yet. A good fighter...can look like a great fighter against mediocre competition.

Cheers

-DR

Agreed. I think we learned alot from the Soko fight. I think what happens is...people aren't "students" of the sport. They don't learn to watch HOW a fighter achieves his success' date=' and why it worked. The just spectate. And people put alot of stock in the word "Champion" in my mind...due to it's vastly superior talent pool. The UFC champions are the true champs. They have to get through alot stiffer and more consistent competition to get that belt. But other's who don't think about these things just see the word "champion." So when Mousasi beat Sobral and got a belt...all of a sudden this speculation began...as if the UFC title and the SF title were somehow comparable.

There is alot to be considered to really judge a fighters skill. And if you want to talk about "the best" anything you need to see that fighter against TOP competition. We haven't seen Mousasi in this situation yet. A good fighter...can look like a great fighter against mediocre competition.

Cheers

-DR[/quote']

Good post, agreed!

Mousasi = the Dreamcatcher

27-2-1

Only three fights have gone the distance

Has one 14 fights in a row

Including names of Denis Kang, Ronaldo Souza,(Dream Middleweight Title),Renato "Babulu" Sobral(Strikeforce Light Heavyweight title),Melvin Manhoef

Mousasi lands 54% of strikes, the average is 35%.

He hit babalu a dozen times and only took two in return.

Against Messing and Evangelista he landed 26 and 19 and took ZERO in return.

Basically he lands a very high percentage and absorbs very few.

Ranked in top three on almost all lightheavyweight rankings.

i do and dont i very well think mousasi could compete with many of the top lhw and very well be a contender he would whoop half of the so called great ufc lhw for a fact-jardine,krystof,vera,thiago,forresst, ortiz,liddell and so on and yes he would be a threat to any of them. i dont me to come off wrong the ufc is my favorite org but i believe some people let the hype behind it and dana white blanket cover up the truth. That there is world class fightters not in the ufc

i do and dont i very well think mousasi could compete with many of the top lhw and very well be a contender he would whoop half of the so called great ufc lhw for a fact-jardine' date='krystof,vera,thiago,forresst, ortiz,liddell and so on and yes he would be a threat to any of them. i dont me to come off wrong the ufc is my favorite org but i believe some people let the hype behind it and dana white blanket cover up the truth. That there is world class fightters not in the ufc[/quote']

that doesnt matter

his fight against sokoudjou showed me enough

i didnt say he wasnt a good fighter, hes a damn good fighter just not enough to beat the big dogs

Agree .. sorry guys but unfortunatelly some of those fighters on Strikeforce or other organizations are joke .. im sorry .. but when u see Babalu holding the belt of LHW so u can imagine what fighters they have on that organization ..

Sobral is a badass. He is a great fighter and thrilling to watch.

Agreed. I think we learned alot from the Soko fight. I think what happens is...people aren't "students" of the sport. They don't learn to watch HOW a fighter achieves his success' date=' and why it worked. The just spectate. And people put alot of stock in the word "Champion" in my mind...due to it's vastly superior talent pool. The UFC champions are the true champs. They have to get through alot stiffer and more consistent competition to get that belt. But other's who don't think about these things just see the word "champion." So when Mousasi beat Sobral and got a belt...all of a sudden this speculation began...as if the UFC title and the SF title were somehow comparable.

Cheers

-DR[/quote']

Yeah I think before we can accurately judge the skills of Gegard we need to see him against a higher caliber of opponent.

Cheers

-DR

you talk about judging fighters skill, when with all due respect you have no idea how to judge a fighter's skill obviously. For the simple fact that obviously you noobs are all judging him by the soko fight. any real knowledgeable mma fan knows you can not judge a fighters talents on one fight that is ridiculous. name me any fighter and i will name you there bad fight.

I don't get your reasoning. You base everything on what you saw in one fight? A fighter has a poor performance in one fight but has dominated almost every other fight including a much better fighter in Sobral and you think he's over-rated and isn't that good?

I guess you must have thought Shogun was over rated when he had a hard time with Coleman. Or maybe you think Couture is over rated when he lost to Overeem and I'm not talking about the good one. Look, everyone has a poor showing, that doesn't mean they don't deserve the credit they get.

Mousassi may be a bit over-rated but the guy is only 24 years old and he is already being considered a top 5 fighter. The kid has so much potential and will only get better. This kid is the future of the division. Rampage, Machida, Rashad, forrest, etc are all in their 30's and have hit their prime. The kid can already hang with them and would prob beat rashad and forrest at this point. In 4 to 6 years when he hits his prime how much better will he be?

Sobral is a badass. He is a great fighter and thrilling to watch.

this

Babalu has only lost to the best guys in the game, for the most part. Chuck in his prime, Fedor, Randleman, Hendo. You don't get a record of 32-9-0 if you can't fight. and Mousasi beat him for the title. Shows me something.

and as far as the OP goes, how can you say in the same sentence that you think a guy is top 10 in the world, and over rated at the same time:confused:??

If there's anyone who deserves up and comer hype (which is odd to say for a guy who holds a 28-2 record, noobs) it's Mousasi.

Clearly the OP hasn't watched any Mousasi fights, nor recognizes the great list of top ranked middleweights he obliterated. Now he moves up TWO weight classes - LHW, and recently fought HW Goodridge. Mousasi on paper, could stand and win against any top LHW in the world. Why? Because he is one.

You people are embarassing.

If there's anyone who deserves up and comer hype (which is odd to say for a guy who holds a 28-2 record' date=' noobs) it's Mousasi.

Clearly the OP hasn't watched any Mousasi fights, nor recognizes the great list of top ranked middleweights he obliterated. Now he moves up TWO weight classes - LHW, and recently fought HW Goodridge. Mousasi on paper, could stand and win against any top LHW in the world. Why? Because he is one.

You people are embarassing.[/quote']

...and that's being polite.

If there's anyone who deserves up and comer hype (which is odd to say for a guy who holds a 28-2 record' date=' noobs) it's Mousasi.

You people are embarassing.[/quote']

The guy is going to be great someday, he's already well on his way and still very young. I would beg to differ that the fight with Soko made him look bad. He pretty much dominated it. He just didn't go in there and floor him in 2 seconds like unrealistic UFC fans expect from him. I find it extremely funny when a UFC fanboy trys to claim anyone outside of the most OVER-HYPED ORG AND FIGHTERS ON THE PLANET, the UFC, are over rated or over-hyped. It's comical.

Yeah I think before we can accurately judge the skills of Gegard we need to see him against a higher caliber of opponent.

Cheers

-DR

you talk about judging fighters skill' date=' when with all due respect you have no idea how to judge a fighter's skill obviously. For the simple fact that obviously you noobs are all judging him by the soko fight. any real knowledgeable mma fan knows you can not judge a fighters talents on one fight that is ridiculous. name me any fighter and i will name you there bad fight.[/quote']

Do you often speak before you think? Just curious.

I said we learned alot from the Soko fight and ...WE DID. But did I ever say that we now know everything he is capable of as a fighter as he stands now? NO! Infact you even quote me as saying WE NEED TO SEE MORE. Jesus.

As for my knowledge of the sport. I'm not going to get into an internet "whose is bigger" contest. If you REALLY feel you know more about this sport than me...try me. I am fully confident in my ability to assess a fighter and his chances of success and where he stands in his division. I don't want to make you look foolish in a public forum, but if you insist I will begrudgingly do so.

Cheers sir

-DR

The guy is going to be great someday' date=' he's already well on his way and still very young. I would beg to differ that the fight with Soko made him look bad. He pretty much dominated it. He just didn't go in there and floor him in 2 seconds like unrealistic UFC fans expect from him. I find it extremely funny when a UFC fanboy trys to claim anyone outside of the most OVER-HYPED ORG AND FIGHTERS ON THE PLANET, the UFC, are over rated or over-hyped. It's comical.[/quote']

+1

Finishing guys that quick is definitely a talent, especially big names.

But no way would I put him on the top five LHW or MW as I think that a fair amount of tough opponents could beat him in either one.

I'll take that sig beg. Henderson will win this one

and his fight with soko was the very few that lasted a bit longer. he had trouble against his takedowns and wrestling, if soko had a decent tank he could have won that fight. imagine that but with henderson who does have a gas tank and has twice the wreslting, maybe more. sorry i dont see mousis getting the win here

I really dont get it. Some people make it out as if hes SUCH a threat to anyone' date=' not at all.

Nor would he do that well against the top contenders in the UFC LHW division[/quote']

you should really watch some more of his fights if that's all you've seen. i don't mean to imply that you haven't, but if you haven't seen more of his fights, watch them. you'll see why people know he is one of the best.

Not sure what you have to do besides win all your fights, which in the sport of mma is no easy thing to do.

So Gegard has done that and done it handidly so YES he deserves the hype and i just hope that if he does beat henderson with ease that he'll be internet certified at that point, or will the new cry be that hendo is a ufc has been?

I don't get your reasoning. You base everything on what you saw in one fight? A fighter has a poor performance in one fight but has dominated almost every other fight including a much better fighter in Sobral and you think he's over-rated and isn't that good?

I guess you must have thought Shogun was over rated when he had a hard time with Coleman. Or maybe you think Couture is over rated when he lost to Overeem and I'm not talking about the good one. Look' date=' everyone has a poor showing, that doesn't mean they don't deserve the credit they get.

Mousassi may be a bit over-rated but the guy is only 24 years old and he is already being considered a top 5 fighter. The kid has so much potential and will only get better. This kid is the future of the division. Rampage, Machida, Rashad, forrest, etc are all in their 30's and have hit their prime. The kid can already hang with them and would prob beat rashad and forrest at this point. In 4 to 6 years when he hits his prime how much better will he be?[/quote']

Agreed. Great post.

Though I do think that there is very few opponents left for him outside of the UFC in the LHW. The calibre of a fighter that is Mousasi shouldnt be fighting Goodrige.

Archived