Stand ups, and a ring

alliedwarior

I like to see a good ground fight but I think the ground game is what is holding the UFC and MMA back alittle.

I think they should stand fights up much faster, if a guy takes the other person down he should have like 10 seconds to do something or stand it up. If a guy is one top but isnt landing any punches or doing anything STAND IT UP.

I think the UFC should also consider using a ring because another problem is people holding each other up against the cage. This is staling and very boring, either refs should break it up after like 10 seconds or they should use a ring so this can stop.

I think wrestlers are mainly to blame for the boring staling fights and as I said refs need to work on breaking up boring situations where nothing is happening (on the ground or up against the cage)

What do you think?

I like to see a good ground fight but I think the ground game is what is holding the UFC and MMA back alittle.

I think they should stand fights up much faster' date=' if a guy takes the other person down he should have like 10 seconds to do something or stand it up. If a guy is one top but isnt landing any punches or doing anything STAND IT UP.

I think the UFC should also consider using a ring because another problem is people holding each other up against the cage. This is staling and very boring, either refs should break it up after like 10 seconds or they should use a ring so this can stop.

I think wrestlers are mainly to blame for the boring staling fights and as I said refs need to work on breaking up boring situations where nothing is happening (on the ground or up against the cage)

What do you think?[/quote']

I hear what you are saying...(Hughes v Serra for example)....and I agree to a point. But I think there definitely needs to be a balance. If you get a guy down...and you are a ground guy...you shouldn't be handicapped by a system that favors strikers.

That said...I agree that refs need to be alot more vocal with their warnings about action on the ground. If you aren't advancing position and are just pitter patting someones ribs....you get 2 warnings..issued...roughly 10 seconds apart...and if nothing happens...yeah you stand them up.

So in short...I'm okay with how the rules are set up..I think a cage is better than a ring personally. I just think we need to have refs enforce things more.

Cheers

-DR

I think they should stand fights up much faster' date=' if a guy takes the other person down he should have like 10 seconds to do something or stand it up. If a guy is one top but isnt landing any punches or doing anything STAND IT UP.

Ya I agree there should be quicker standups for when fighters arent trying to better there position. I hate lay and prayers.

But that already happen's in the UFC, if the fighter is doing nothing on the floor the referee stand them up.

UFC is no a box tournament.

UFC is a MMA tournament

MMA = Mixed Martial Arts

UFC = Ultimate Fighting Championship

If you take the ground game out of MMA it's not MMA anymore, it's kick boxing.

Think MMA is boring, fine, go watch kick boxing.

But that already happen's in the UFC' date=' if the fighter is doing nothing on the floor the referee stand them up.

UFC is no a box tournament.

UFC is a MMA tournament

MMA = Mixed Martial Arts

UFC = Ultimate Fighting Championship

If you take the ground game out of MMA it's not MMA anymore, it's kick boxing.

Think MMA is boring, fine, go watch kick boxing.[/quote']

What a fool, being a drama queen acting like this thread is about taking the ground game out of mma. Its about stopping boring lay and pray where a fighter just lies on his opponent for three rounds without even doing anything. The referees are often very slow to stand it up when nothing is happening. An option might be to bring in some sort of stalling rule. You get 3 warnings and if you keep laying and praying you get a point deduction.

What a ****it' date=' being a drama queen acting like this thread is about taking the ground game out of mma. Its about stopping boring lay and pray where a fighter just lies on his opponent for three rounds without even doing anything. The referees are often very slow to stand it up when nothing is happening. An option might be to bring in some sort of stalling rule. You get 3 warnings and if you keep laying and praying you get a point deduction.[/quote']

yer gonna get banned

What a fool' date=' being a drama queen acting like this thread is about taking the ground game out of mma. Its about stopping boring lay and pray where a fighter just lies on his opponent for three rounds without even doing anything. The referees are often very slow to stand it up when nothing is happening. An option might be to bring in some sort of stalling rule. You get 3 warnings and if you keep laying and praying you get a point deduction.[/quote']

Sorry to tell you, but you're the fool. Everybody sees your point, but you don't have to be an **** about it.

Yes, some fights can get boring on the ground (Roy Nelson), but sometimes a guy on top is doing more damage than it seems.

you cannot just say stand fighters up... this is MMA not kick boxing... you need to be working while on the ground though... you should not be allowed to just lay there like hughes did to serra but at the same time you need enough time to make something happen

A ring? Are you kidding? Seriously.....

Clinching is part of MMA, Just because its boring doesnt mean there not doing damage or there "staling". This thread is a epic fail. The only time I think they should stand people up is in like Shields vs Mayhem. Shields just was sitting there and miller was just like wtf?

what your suggesting about stand ups does already happen. it says something about inactivity in the rules but thats open to interpretation so theirs no consistency to it. and another problem with stand ups is theirs fighters who'll hold someone down it'll get stood up they'll take them down and do it again and again biding their time.

prevention is better than a cure.

they should have a pannel of all the refs at any event watch every fight and penelise inactivity or ******* tactics with a point deduction. that would act as a deterent to fighters from even trying it in the first place.

as for the ring idea epic faill worst idea ever.

As far as the ring/cage comment, I couldn't care less. Fighters clinch in the ring just as much as they clinch in the cage(If they like clinching that is).

As far as the stand up comment, it's a hard one. Because 10 seconds might seem like a long time to people watching, but it's very hard to do anything in 10 seconds. This would seriously prevent fighters who like the ground to do well.

A simple and easy solution to stop fighters from just controlling the opponent, without advancing position/damaging, would be to use a card system like in Pride. Trust me, if fighters know they might lose 10% of their purse, they'll never just LnP.

A ring? Are you kidding? Seriously.....

Clinching is part of MMA' date=' Just because its boring doesnt mean there not doing damage or there "staling". This thread is a epic fail. The only time I think they should stand people up is in like Shields vs Mayhem. Shields just was sitting there and miller was just like wtf?[/quote']

I didnt say Clunching, clinching is all good if your doing something like working for a take down or knees, I mean Couture vs Vera hold the guy against the fight for mintues on end and not do anything but hold up the fight and try and wear out the other guy. You have a a limtied time on the ground and against the fence,

not sayin take it out I'm sayin limit it so theres less time with no action.

Not to be off topic but i had someone do this to me when i was playing undisputed one day and i almost broke the controller, as a fan i can see where it takes the excitement out of things but as a fighter give them some time to work let them frustrate their opponent and then begin to pass but if there are no attempts to do so then stand it up

soo if a stand up fight is really boring (kimbo-alexander) should we stop them and put them on the ground? since that can be considered stalling... These are fighters and this is a sport it essentially is not for our entertainment. Yes mma imo is the most entertaining sport but thats because i love the chess match involved figthing is the ultimate personal test of ones heart and mind and body againsnt another worthy opponent. When fighting someone with good ground skills 10 seconds is never enough time to make something happen. Royce Gracie vs Shamrock went for 36 minutes stalled on the ground into a draw but it was an awesome match between 2 very skilled fighters

i think it's called mixed martial arts.

MMA is not a tough man contest , it is a mixture of all arts, including JJ and wrestling.

I say 30 seconds for the 1st attempt if no action is being pressed, the stand them up and the 2nd time 15 seconds. If they start landing or throwing punches and elbows then start back to 1 second. I agree and with the ring is better cos there's not much room to run away from the fight(machida), and the ring makes it almost impossible to keep someone there against the ropes(vera vs couture).

UFC needs to install the yellow card system if fighters keep on holding each other and not doing anything, or at least play some soft romantic music while they're holding each other.......LOL.

Fighters need to be penalized for trying to squeek a decision by doing only takedowns and no follow up. Man how I miss the Pride rules.

I hear what you are saying...(Hughes v Serra for example)....and I agree to a point. But I think there definitely needs to be a balance. If you get a guy down...and you are a ground guy...you shouldn't be handicapped by a system that favors strikers.

Yes but if you're a ground guy then you should know that you're suppose to advance your position or you will get stood back up. You cant just lay on the ground for 3 minutes and take a whole round of fighting away.

I think the refs need to be more educated some fights get broke up on the clinch game against the cage when it shouldn't and a lot of times fights are stood up when the guy on top is doing acceptable damage or is improving his position. I'm kind of Joe Rogan like on this issue. And yes some fights should be stood up sooner it's really the education of the ref

Archived