Lyoto Machida

K_Gore

I now know that a lot of people on here think very little of Machida. But really don't understand why? Ok yes his fight with shogun went to a decision. Big deal. Thats all I've really heard. "Oh Lyoto aint that good look at his fight with shogun" When has someone's career ever been judged on one fight?

It's probably got something to do with his style being exposed by Shogun. They expect that his style won't work very well anymore. That or they are crazy Shogun fans, or they dislike how he wouldn't fight Silva there are plenty of reasons. I think he has alot of skills but don't think he will stay champion for very long anymore.

Hes a great' date=' smart, talented, techniqual fighter. But there is no way u can classify him as an unstoppable champ like A. Silva, GSP, & BJ. Espeacially when I think the number 1 contender in his devision is a better fighter than he is.[/quote']

Who's the number one contender that is a better fighter than Machida? I know you ain't gonna say Mr. Lucky Rashad Evans.

It's probably got something to do with his style being exposed by Shogun. They expect that his style won't work very well anymore. That or they are crazy Shogun fans' date=' or they dislike how he wouldn't fight Silva there are plenty of reasons. I think he has alot of skills but don't think he will stay champion for very long anymore.[/quote']

What style was exposed by Shogun? Alls that Shogun did the whole fight is kick his legs, didn't take him down, didn't knock him down, didn't hurt him anywhere but his leg, and lost the fight because he wasn't good enough to do enough to make it a decisive win. Where was Shoguns supposid style and skill? Forest Griffin exposed Shogun and outskilled him at the same time. That was skill. Matt hughs beat down Gracie at his own game for a win, that was skill.

thats a pretty bold statement about his style specially after his K.O. over Evans

firstly 1 fight doesn't change the other 15.

Also, he emplyed the same strategy in the Evans and the Shogun fight. Back off and side step the opponents attacks until they over extend (imagine how annoying it would be to show up to a fihgt for someone to pull a Kalib Starnes on you?) once they get frustrated and over extend, fire off single counters. back off sidestep, counter, repeat.

as for the Evans fight he scored a good counter, rocked Evans, and pounced. I'm not saying he doesn't win. his style of back pedalling and sidestepping + counter striking only + not taking any initiative isn't appealing to me.

What style was exposed by Shogun? Alls that Shogun did the whole fight is kick his legs' date=' didn't take him down, didn't knock him down, didn't hurt him anywhere but his leg, and lost the fight because he wasn't good enough to do enough to make it a decisive win. Where was Shoguns supposid style and skill? Forest Griffin exposed Shogun and outskilled him at the same time. That was skill. Matt hughs beat down Gracie at his own game for a win, that was skill.[/quote']

Gonna take a giant guess here and say your a Machida fan??

Agreeing with the majority of people above...I think Machida has style, an excellent and accurate fighter, and is amazing at doging hits. But i strongly believe that he should have lost against Shogun. It seemed like Shogun won most of the rounds and that it should have gone to him. It mainly bothers me now because it makes Machida look like a stronger opponent than what he really is. I give alot of respect to him, I think he is an excellent fighter...but i think Shogun should have won that fight and I think Shogun might be equally matched with Machida and my mind wont be changed until i see a rematch.

-New Fighter, Logan Ohlson

i don't think anyone thinks he's not that good. i think he's one of the best p4p fighters in the world, but i just don't like his countering defensive style, its not that i don't think its good its clearly the best way to fight. but i preffer berserker crazzy horse fighters who never take a backward step who'd rather loose by a brutal knock out trying something crazzy than win a decision.

What style was exposed by Shogun? Alls that Shogun did the whole fight is kick his legs' date=' didn't take him down, didn't knock him down, didn't hurt him anywhere but his leg, and lost the fight because he wasn't good enough to do enough to make it a decisive win. Where was Shoguns supposid style and skill? Forest Griffin exposed Shogun and outskilled him at the same time. That was skill. Matt hughs beat down Gracie at his own game for a win, that was skill.[/quote']

Griffins win over shogun due to his beta skills over Rua lol. That was a horrible fight

firstly 1 fight doesn't change the other 15.

Also' date=' he emplyed the same strategy in the Evans and the Shogun fight. Back off and side step the opponents attacks until they over extend (imagine how annoying it would be to show up to a fihgt for someone to pull a Kalib Starnes on you?) once they get frustrated and over extend, fire off single counters. back off sidestep, counter, repeat.

as for the Evans fight he scored a good counter, rocked Evans, and pounced. I'm not saying he doesn't win. his style of back pedalling and sidestepping + counter striking only + not taking any initiative isn't appealing to me.[/quote']

I would bet that 90% of the fighters wish they were skilled enough to do that.

Machida's defensive strategy may be annoying to those who are just looking for a quick knock out fight. But if your looking at actual fighting skills, then his defensive strategy is excellent. Hes one of the least hit fighters in UFC history. He dodges and makes perfect counters before the other fighter hasnt even finished their first move. Machida isnt going for a crazy flailing attack, hes going for the win, and hes gonna do it the best and most intelligent way

Machida is a hella good fighter. Smart, quick and technical that most fighters only wish they looked like. Sure some of his fights are chess matches, but nothing wrong with that sometimes. Heck I often get bored when fights go to the ground because sometimes they just man hug there for minutes trying to do something, but its part of a fight and i respect it, when you get to this level, you don't just need to stand there and take punches and brawl. I dig Machida's style and near flawless technique.

Nope. Beating other fighter using his own skill cannot be judge to the skill of a fighter. Skill is when you master your own skill then beat others by imposing it to them. look at Couture, he imposes his skills of dirty boxing & clinching to other fighter whether they are a striker (Liddell, T. Silva, Belfort), wrestler (Ortiz), Jiu Jitsu (Gonzaga). Brock will always use his wrestling style no matter what the skills of his opponents, maybe thats the reason he's the HW champion, he imposes his will to others.

Nope. Beating other fighter using his own skill cannot be judge to the skill of a fighter. Skill is when you master your own skill then beat others by imposing it to them. look at Couture' date=' he imposes his skills of dirty boxing & clinching to other fighter whether they are a striker (Liddell, T. Silva, Belfort), wrestler (Ortiz), Jiu Jitsu (Gonzaga). Brock will always use his wrestling style no matter what the skills of his opponents, maybe thats the reason he's the HW champion, he imposes his will to others.[/quote']

Huh???

People just seem to forget his fighting base is all Asian Martial Arts, which are all primarily designed as defensive maneuvers to use the opponents movement, momentum, and weight against them. How can you say he is completely defensive when his biggest wins were KO's and even in his decision wins his opponents were pretty well bashed.

His technical brilliance to me is a beautiful thing to watch, and on the rare occasions when he couldn't get his opponents to engage he has become offensive as well. Just ask anyone he has fought how effective his style is.

And instead of using the Shogun fight as a way to disparage Machida, it should show just how good Rua is. A loss is a loss and a poor performance is just that, but way too many people seem to rate Shogun off of his inital entries into the UFC, the Forrest loss and Coleman debacle. Thank the creator that Spike is putting the best of PRIDE on the air, because if it truly is the best of PRIDE, Shogun will be a prominant part of it.

Lyoto is skilled. I personally don't like him because I hate watching his fights. I think they are extremely boring. He is definetely good at avoiding damage. But it's not like he's doing extraordinary head movement or changing levels. It always looks like he is just running backwards and because he is quick his opponents have trouble hitting him. His opponents get frustrated and hear the boos from the crowd and decide to go all out. They expose themselves because they are chasing too hard and get hit. I don't Think this is skill. I feel like a lot of fighters in the UFC could employ this same tactic although I hope they don't because I want there to still be a few exciting fights on each card.

I also don't feel like Machida has faced the best competition. I feel like he had an easy road to the title and lost his first defense. (Not on the judges scorecards. but everyone knows who won that fight.) I've broken this fight down before to emphasize Aggression, Octagon Control and Effective Striking. Aggression and OCtagon control go to the guy chasing not running. Effective Striking well many websites have broken this down. Shogun landed more to the legs and the head. Machida landed 5 more strikes to the body. Overall though Shogun landed 82 and Machida 41 or somewhere very close to these numbers.

Fans hear Joe Rogan say he gets hit once every other round and they go ape ****. He doesn't get hit because he is agile and runs. I personally don't want to see any of the best fighters fight this guy because It would be a waste of a fight for them. Why put a guy as exciting as Anderson Silva against a guy who runs. Anderson is another fighter that doesn't get hit but he presses the action.

Machida Beat Sam Hoger, David Heath,and Kazuhiro Nakamura, to begin his UFC career and all three went to a decision. Then he submitted Sokoudjou who is now losing fights in Strikeforce and more recently Dynamite. He had another boring decision against an over the hill and injured Tito Ortiz. He also had a decision against a much smaller BJ penn and I mean much smaller. The bout was at HW. Machida did however have a nice win over Thiago but again it's frustrating an opponent by running until he over exposes himself to get the crowd into it because Machida is that boring. I think Machida is a great points fighter but not a killer.

I will never be excited about any of Machida's Fights. This is all my opinion and the reasons why I hold that opinion and maybe why some others don't like him as well. I'm not saying he's not skilled. I just personally don't like his fighting style.

The point of fighting is to protect yourself at all times and let your opponent make the mistake(s).

exactly. Machida's style isn't THAT much different than Silva's but no one hates on him. Both are elusive, both are counter strikers, and both attack when there is an opening.

People like to say Machida is scared of getting hit and that's just stupid. Isn't the point not to get hit? And he basically perfects that. Not everyone wants to be a Wandy or a Forest and block punches with their face.

Sorry but the guy is the most overrated fighter in MMA today and also one of the most boring

Professional record breakdown

16 matches 16 wins

By knockout 5

By submission 2

By decision 9

5 by knockout my **** one was a stoppage because bonnar was cut and wasn’t able to continue not a ko pr a tko in my book but let’s move on, one was because Dimitri Wanderley was too tired to carry on again not really a ko or tko the guy had **** cardio, which gives him 3 ko/tko’s not that great out of 16 fights and then he has 9 yes nine decisions like I said boring. If this guy was a British fighter this forum would be all over him slagging him off.

Im sick of this **** about Shogun not doing enough to become champion. Is their a rule that all close rounds and rounds that Shogun won must go to the champion Machida.

Close rounds always have and always will go to the champion as long as judging is done subjectively by human beings.

Ric Flair did not create that old saying, "To BE the man, You have to BEAT the man."

Close rounds always have and always will go to the champion as long as judging is done subjectively by human beings.

Ric Flair did not create that old saying' date=' "To BE the man, You have to BEAT the man."[/quote']

Ya but this isnt fake and the result isnt pre-determined. Cecils Jacobs is the worst judge in the world. Better judges need to be appointed. After all the talk over this fight the rematch will be very interesting. I wonder what will happen if Shogun is robbed again.

Ya but this isnt fake and the result isnt pre-determined. Cecils Jacobs is the worst referee in the world. Better judges need to be appointed. After all the talk over this fight the rematch will be very interesting. I wonder what will happen if Shogun is robbed again.

Who? I am guessing you read Cecil Peeple's somewhere and got confused or something, anyway...

My point was the "fake" wrassling guy didn't make that up. In fact I believe it was first used by Jack Johnson around 1909 or so when he was forced to relinquish his HW championship and leave the country because they couldn't find a white man that could beat him. It was true then and holds true to this day.

Archived