Maynard should have the next title shot!

James_Moss

Maynard has already beaten Frankie Edgar and Maynard is STILL on his win streak. Why would anyone consider this fight again. Maynard hasn't fought everyone in the LW division, but he has already fought the best. His fight with Nate Diaz wasn't the best Maynard. I believe he lost his gameplan trying to takeoff Diaz's head. Any other fight, I believe a different fighter will emerge. The same one we have been seeing with the defeat of Edgar and Huerto. He is very fast on his feet. He has fast hands and crisp punches. He is very strong and has the best wrestling in the LW division. He also has really good submssions from the top position due to his wrestling dominance that usually puts him on the top positions. Penn may win, but Maynard deserves the title logically speaking. I would like see how good Maynard would be when pushed to the limits. Maynard seems to be an intelligent fighter and I believe could give Penn a little more challenge than some of the most recent opponents.

Penn will probably win, but Maynard possess alot of skill that may be overlooked. You do have to put Diego above Maynard perhaps, but I just have a feeling that Maynard when pushed and placed into a fight with his gameplan, then he just might have a chance or atleast give us a closer fight. I do agree though that Frankie Edgar may be more exciting because Edgar gambles more and created more exciting fights. I do have to admit that Maynard will probably play it safe with Penn. Unfortunately, to defeat Penn, Maynard may have just a little extra footwork and hand speed that may be what the Dr. ordered and play it safe.

If Maynard has to fight Ken Flo that would seal it for me and I think the rest of the UFC fans. If Edgar defeats Penn ( if the Edgar/Penn fight happens), then Maynard should go next for the title anyway since he already defeated Frankie.

I agree! Sometimes I wished the Champions weren't so dominate, but then again it's kind of cool to have dominate fighters to admire. If dominate fighters didn't exist, then fighting would be less interesting and boring. I think you need Strong champions like we have now in the UFC to create attraction to the sport. I would like to see a little more comptition. With the way things are going, Champions from different weight classes will have to start competing or UFC will have to search for some Sholin Monk's that may want to fight some of these Champs. Maybe see if Frank Dukes is up for the Challenge :-). There are still alot of competitive and exciting fights even if BJ Penn can not be dethrone. A rematch with Edgar and Maynard or Maynard and Griffin. Rematch with Edgar and Griffin. I believe these will be exacting enough without BJ. BJ needs to stick his chin out and get hit a few times to make his fights more competitive.

While I do agree that Maynard is probably the best wrestler in his division, he just isn't a good striker, and I wouldn't use the Roger Huerta fight as an example of his striking ability, as Roger was beating him in the standup, which is why Maynard decided to do takedowns.

Maynard could, and most likely would, take BJ Penn down. This guy isn't Florian or Diego, he's explosive. He is, however, BORING!!! He doesn't do any combinations on his feet. I think the most i've seen him do is one two combinations. I mean, he did okay against Nate Diaz, but Nate Diaz is a HORRIBLE striker. The only thing Nate has going for him is that he has a 76" reach. Dude has the reach of some heavyweights, but his leg movement is non-existant, and to think of Maynard as being good, striking wise, one just has to view his footage against Huerta or Nate. Huerta schooled him, and Nate naturally sucks on his feet.

wins are not the only thing considered when putting together a title challenger, how you win plays a big part of it, how dominating you look, and how much steam/popularity yo have going behind you. I will say maynard is in with the heap of challangers but last nights fight didnt make a good case for them to put him up against penn if he looked lackluster against diaz no one in there right mind is going to think he will be a good choice to fight penn

While I do agree that Maynard is probably the best wrestler in his division' date=' he just isn't a good striker, and I wouldn't use the Roger Huerta fight as an example of his striking ability, as Roger was beating him in the standup, which is why Maynard decided to do takedowns.

Maynard could, and most likely would, take BJ Penn down. This guy isn't Florian or Diego, he's explosive. He is, however, BORING!!! He doesn't do any combinations on his feet. I think the most i've seen him do is one two combinations. I mean, he did okay against Nate Diaz, but Nate Diaz is a HORRIBLE striker. The only thing Nate has going for him is that he has a 76" reach. Dude has the reach of some heavyweights, but his leg movement is non-existant, and to think of Maynard as being good, striking wise, one just has to view his footage against Huerta or Nate. Huerta schooled him, and Nate naturally sucks on his feet.[/quote']

Huerta wasn't winning much of the standup. Maynard owned alot of the standup against Huerta. Maynard has very good standup. Watch his next fight.

Like I said, Maynard is explosive. He would hit Huerta, but not follow up thereafter. It's good to get that one good haymaker in, but he doesn't know how to flurry/combo. Huerta did multiple combinations on Maynard, and even the commentators noted how good Huerta looked against Maynard on his feet.

Archived