Anyone else think that Kenny Florian has evolved more then Diego Sanchez?

Denominator

Now I know that styles make fights, but I can't help but notice that Florian coasted through opponents that Diego struggled with (As Florian blew through Stevenson and Clay Guida). Both of those opponents gave Diego a run for his money. It also seems that Kenny has gotten significantly larger then when they first fought.

I use to be a hardcore Diego fan, but I think he was stupid for leaving Greg Jackson's camp, and now he doesn't even seem like the same fighter from the past. His takedown ability is pretty much non-existant, and he really doesn't shine as much as people are saying on his feet. He seems methodical. I think Kenny is more crisp, and has better reach.

I hope to see their rematch, and for Diego to wake up, and see that Florian has improved, and he made a huge mistake in leaving Greg Jackson's camp.

What are your guys opinion?

It depends how Diego goes about his next training camp etc. How he rebounds from his loss against Penn, I want Diego to go over to American Top Team it would work out really well for him training there i believe. KenFlo shouldn't have made his fight with Penn about training with GSP and all that nonsense. Florian should have went out as KenFlo not GSPFlo.

It depends how Diego goes about his next training camp etc. How he rebounds from his loss against Penn' date=' I want Diego to go over to American Top Team it would work out really well for him training there i believe. KenFlo shouldn't have made his fight with Penn about training with GSP and all that nonsense. Florian should have went out as KenFlo not GSPFlo.[/quote']

I agree with you on the Penn/Florian fight. GSP was able to use his size to wear Penn out, something that Kenflo didn't have.

Yeah, I think KenFlo should have stuck to his roots. I don't see him as being anywhere near the wrestler that GSP is. I do think that his most recent fight showcased his standup (Against Clay Guida).

I just don't see Diego as being that improved. I mean beating Stevenson in a standup war isn't saying that you are a phenomenal striker. Also, Diego's takedowns are just slow, and easy for an opponent to stuff. I don't think Diego is weak physically. He just doesn't seem to be as intuitive with his takedowns, as he use to be with Greg Jackson's camp.

Oh, and I agree. I think America Top Team would be Diego's best bet. He definitely needs to change camps. I think he has fallen behind on his training. It's one thing to train like a madman, which he does, and another to train smartly. I don't think I saw him throw too many leg kicks against BJ, and BJ is known for being very susceptible to them. Maybe he was worried about being taken down, but then, he wasn't doing well with his boxing in the slightest.

yes and no .. as of lately .. he is the same dude .. so is diego

wait till they start training in Abu Dahbi when the have nothing to eat & drink but "sand"wiches & oil

what r u talking about? please before u post idiotic posts..think even if its a hard task for u...sandwiches and oil ? we have the finest most luxirous resturants here, read the newspapers , stream the net...lol better yet grow some brains :P

what r u talking about? please before u post idiotic posts..think even if its a hard task for u...sandwiches and oil ? we have the finest most luxirous resturants here' date=' read the newspapers , stream the net...lol better yet grow some brains :P[/quote']

i do read the newspapers .. except they dont tend to show your luxurious restaurants unless they have been blown up :D and although i dont stream the net ( allot of people in different countries stream illegal showings of ufc fights so i tend to stay away from streaming) i do happen to surf the web .. and ill leave the grow some brains alone .. ok ockbar

IMO your right. Both fighters have evolved. but i think KenFlo is tops in the division besides BJ and would beat Diego in a rematch

Think he meant a rematch for Florian and Sanchez.

"Shut your fat *** Rayvie, I can't go buy smokes without passing nine guys you ****ed!"

one of the greatest movies ever...haha

Yes because KenFlo is more of an intelligent fighter' date=' he is able to evolve, not so much Diego, same style and same fighter.[/quote']

dude you obviously havent watch diego fight have you? he got robbed verse fitch and had a staph infection when he fought kos

go watch the fight verse fitch and you tell me that he hasnt evolved, there is no where where kenny can be dominant against diego

but they are the top 2 in LW besides penn and they are top 2 by a very long way

dude you obviously havent watch diego fight have you? he got robbed verse fitch and had a staph infection when he fought kos

go watch the fight verse fitch and you tell me that he hasnt evolved' date=' there is no where where kenny can be dominant against diego

but they are the top 2 in LW besides penn and they are top 2 by a very long way[/quote']

Neither of them should be top 2. Diego just got raped, and Kenny just rebounded off his last loss with a dominating performance over Guida, who I think is nowhere near top 5.

Right now just based on recent fights I would put Edgar and Maynard over both Diego and Kenny. Edgar is getting a title shot, so set up a match between Tyson Griffin and Diego, and a fight between Maynard and Kenny. Winner of Maynard Kenny could possibly be a title contender, and Tyson vs Diego (while being an awesome fight IMO) could also have future title implications.

That's just one way of lookin' at it though.

Neither of them should be top 2. Diego just got raped' date=' and Kenny just rebounded off his last loss with a dominating performance over Guida, who I think is nowhere near top 5.

Right now just based on recent fights I would put Edgar and Maynard over both Diego and Kenny. Edgar is getting a title shot, so set up a match between Tyson Griffin and Diego, and a fight between Maynard and Kenny. Winner of Maynard Kenny could possibly be a title contender, and Tyson vs Diego (while being an awesome fight IMO) could also have future title implications.

That's just one way of lookin' at it though.[/quote']

just because they lost to penn doesnt mean they arent the best 2 fighters at LW besides penn, griffin and edgar will get destroyed by either diego or florian

just because they lost to penn doesnt mean they arent the best 2 fighters at LW besides penn' date=' griffin and edgar will get destroyed by either diego or florian[/quote']

I gotta disagree. I think Tyson could pose problems for both of them, He has KO power and a very strong wrestling base. Both are qualities that have previously been problems for Kenny and Diego. And for the record I never mentioned Kenny or Diego vs Frankie Edgar, I mentioned Gray Maynard. Frankie is getting a title shot in Abu Dhabi at 113 I believe.

That little rant I had was more of an idea as to clear up who could possibly be the next contender, not who would win in the fights I mentioned. Notice in my last posts I didn't call any of the fights.

But the way I look at it, you have to drop at least a couple spots in the ranks after a loss to the champ. It gives new fighters a shot at the belt. As far as I'm concerned until Diego comes back strong with some wins, he can't possibly be considered number two. That spot is reserved for Frankie right now.

just because they lost to penn doesnt mean they arent the best 2 fighters at LW besides penn' date=' griffin and edgar will get destroyed by either diego or florian[/quote']

I gotta disagree. I think Tyson could pose problems for both of them, He has KO power and a very strong wrestling base. Both are qualities that have previously been problems for Kenny and Diego. And for the record I never mentioned Kenny or Diego vs Frankie Edgar, I mentioned Gray Maynard. Frankie is getting a title shot in Abu Dhabi at 113 I believe.

That little rant I had was more of an idea as to clear up who could possibly be the next contender, not who would win in the fights I mentioned. Notice in my last posts I didn't call any of the fights.

But the way I look at it, you have to drop at least a couple spots in the ranks after a loss to the champ. It gives new fighters a shot at the belt. As far as I'm concerned until Diego comes back strong with some wins, he can't possibly be considered number two. That spot is reserved for Frankie right now.

Is my computer screwing up or did I post twice while DR posted several times.... wtf is going on?

Yeah dude I have no clue what that **** was about.

I hit the submit reply button...and the page wouldn't load. I hit it again. Nothing. So I closed out the window and tried again. Same thing.

This is my first post since that. But yeah....no clue what happened. Server issues?

Cheers

-DR

I gotta disagree. I think Tyson could pose problems for both of them' date=' He has KO power and a very strong wrestling base. Both are qualities that have previously been problems for Kenny and Diego. And for the record I never mentioned Kenny or Diego vs Frankie Edgar, I mentioned Gray Maynard. Frankie is getting a title shot in Abu Dhabi at 113 I believe.

But the way I look at it, you have to drop at least a couple spots in the ranks after a loss to the champ. It gives new fighters a shot at the belt. As far as I'm concerned until Diego comes back strong with some wins, he can't possibly be considered number two. That spot is reserved for Frankie right now.[/quote']

Diego hasnt had any problems verse wrestlers, i really dont know where you got that from.

as for dropping a few spots i dont dont agree , you should only drop spots if you lose to people rated lower then you, so the only way they can drop below 1 and 2 is if they lost to each other or to the lower ranked fighters, i seriously dont see how win over veach puts edgar to number one contender when veacj isnt in the top 10

same as maynard he hasnt even beat a top 5 ranked fighter (edgar wasnt top 5 when he beat him edgar becames top 5 after beating sherk) yet people think hes first or second in line? sure hes won 6 in a row but only 2 of them are against top 10 fighters the rest are on the outside looking in

Yeah dude I have no clue what that **** was about.

I hit the submit reply button...and the page wouldn't load. I hit it again. Nothing. So I closed out the window and tried again. Same thing.

This is my first post since that. But yeah....no clue what happened. Server issues?

Cheers

-DR

Exact same thing that happened to me. After that I said to hell with it and just logged off.

Diego hasnt had any problems verse wrestlers' date=' i really dont know where you got that from.

as for dropping a few spots i dont dont agree , you should only drop spots if you lose to people rated lower then you, so the only way they can drop below 1 and 2 is if they lost to each other or to the lower ranked fighters, i seriously dont see how win over veach puts edgar to number one contender when veacj isnt in the top 10

same as maynard he hasnt even beat a top 5 ranked fighter (edgar wasnt top 5 when he beat him edgar becames top 5 after beating sherk) yet people think hes first or second in line? sure hes won 6 in a row but only 2 of them are against top 10 fighters the rest are on the outside looking in[/quote']

I was primarily thinking of Fitch, Kos and BJ when I said he had problems with Power punchers and top notch wrestlers. BJ dropped him and defended his takedowns no problem. He wasn't able to handle himself against Fitch, and he also wasn't able to takedown Kos. I know you're just gonna say staph, I accept that. So I'll disregard Kos if you wish. But the fact remains he got handled against both BJ and Fitch.

So you're saying that if you lose to a champ, you don't drop in the rankings because you lost to someone better than you and not someone lower in the rankings? Gimme a break. How can you not drop spots after a loss?! Doesn't matter who you lose to, a loss is a loss, and this is a "what have you done for me lately?" sport. Diego is clearly not number two. And as far as arguing the validity of Edgar or Gray getting a title shot... How many wins in a row did Diego have before his shot at Penn? 4. Maynard has 6 like you said above. And when Diego (who you defend like there's no tomorrow) Had his four fight win streak, how many of them were top 10? If you try and tell me that Bielkheden, Fioravanti, Stevenson and Guida (you might be able to argue Stevenson, but I doubt it after two losses in three fights beforehand) were top ten I'll facepalm. And even if you do consider Joe a top ten, that means that Gray has beaten 2 top ten fighters with a six fight win streak, while Diego beat one and got a shot.

This sport isn't based on the ranking of somebody you beat, it depends on who impress' Dana the most. An undefeated record, and win over a former champ both impress a lot of people.

I honestly don't think a win over Veach should give Frankie the title shot either, I thought the win over Sherk definitely put him into the top five though. As for Maynard, well, being undefeated has to count for something. The UFC has hyped every other undefeated fighter, you gotta know that if he doesn't lose he's in line pretty soon. Just based on those two facts alone I rank Edgar and Gray over Diego. One of them has beaten a former champ, something Diego hasn't done, and one of the is undefeated, whereas clearly Diego is not.

I heard Diego drops to 145 now to fight Aldo. He said 145 is a perfect weight class for him. That's his destiny ;)

lmao!!

Now I know that styles make fights' date=' but I can't help but notice that Florian coasted through opponents that Diego struggled with (As Florian blew through Stevenson and Clay Guida). Both of those opponents gave Diego a run for his money. It also seems that Kenny has gotten significantly larger then when they first fought.

I use to be a hardcore Diego fan, but I think he was stupid for leaving Greg Jackson's camp, and now he doesn't even seem like the same fighter from the past. His takedown ability is pretty much non-existant, and he really doesn't shine as much as people are saying on his feet. He seems methodical. I think Kenny is more crisp, and has better reach.

I hope to see their rematch, and for Diego to wake up, and see that Florian has improved, and he made a huge mistake in leaving Greg Jackson's camp.

What are your guys opinion?[/quote']

I agree and cant wait to see how he does against Gomi. Kenny's obviously a great fighter but also very dedicated to improving himself. Sucks for him BJ is fighting at LW cuz he's probably the 2nd best LW right now.

I don't even see Frankie Edgar as being in the top 5 of his weight class. Sure he beat Sean Sherk, but I don't think Sherk is in his prime anymore. Two years ago I think Sherk would've put Edgar on his back, and beat him senseless.

On the Diego part of things, I really see some flaws in his game since he left Greg Jacksons camp. He doesn't seem to setup any takedowns. He just rushes in now. He looks sloppy compared to the old Diego. I honestly think the old Diego could kick the crap out of the new one. Heck, I think the old Diego could've beaten Penn. He just seems sloppy, and that overconfidence is getting him into slugfests. It's fun to watch, but he still isn't a striking genie.

I really miss seeing the old Diego. He was my favorite fighter for a LONG time. I honestly think that Florian has surpassed him, and he is just not able to self reflect and realize that he made a mistake changing camps.

Archived