What was the first fight or fighter that hook you up into mma?

GLOBAL1TV

Actually the first time I saw UFC and got hooked was watching the previews for one of the ppvs. My first PPV was the return of Tito Ortiz verses Forrest Griffin. Even though the person I liked didn't win since that night I began watching everything I could get my hands on that related to UFC.

Actually the first time I saw UFC and got hooked was watching the previews for one of the ppvs. My first PPV was the return of Tito Ortiz verses Forrest Griffin. Even though the person I liked didn't win since that night I began watching everything I could get my hands on that related to UFC.

So then you're relatively new, huh? Welcome to the club :D

For me it would have to be UFC 68: Couture vs. Sylvia. Been following it ever since.

I had watched only a little UFC up until midway through last year. My fiend liked it and recomended we hire a UFC dvd. The only one the small local store near his place had was UFC 72: Victory Franklin Vs Okami. The Tyson Griffin Vs Clay Guida match up on that DVD was what had me hooked. Back and forth with some great action.

Since then I've found out that a store near me has all the UFC dvds from UFC 40 onwards,most of the ultimate fighter series and some pride dvds. I've been working my way through them ever since although I haven't been watching them all in order. Now I'm a UFC/MMA addict.

I'm fairly young at 18 and i got immediately hooked after stumbling upon Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg 1 and 2 on a UFC Unleashed. Soon after I discovered they were doing the first season on TUF and literally have been watching UFC fights ever since. I'm addicted. I used to spend free time watching tv or something. Literally the only thing I do is watch fights online now

I'm fairly young at 18 and i got immediately hooked after stumbling upon Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg 1' date=' 2 and 3 on a UFC Unleashed. Soon after I discovered they were doing the first season on TUF and literally have been watching UFC fights ever since. I'm addicted. I used to spend free time watching tv or something. Literally the only thing I do is watch fights online now[/quote']

Why not start training?

It's great exercise and it's fun as hell!!

Why not start training?

It's great exercise and it's fun as hell!!

It's one of those things where its something I'm literally obsessed with and just never have gotten the oppurtunity to do it. Growing up I swam religiously. and by that I mean my coach was the American Distance Head coach, trained with a world record holder in 3 events and bascially devoted 25 hours a week to swimming. I was gonna swim D1 but my senior year went to **** with some stuff and I ended up not being able to afford the college I was gonna swim at. So now I'm at Virginia Tech with no money and no way to afford lessons. I've started training triatholons just cuz I'm bored with all my free time.

I'm fairly young at 18 and i got immediately hooked after stumbling upon Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg 1' date=' 2 and 3 on a UFC Unleashed. Soon after I discovered they were doing the first season on TUF and literally have been watching UFC fights ever since. I'm addicted. I used to spend free time watching tv or something. Literally the only thing I do is watch fights online now[/quote']

Matt Hughes and Frank Trigg haven't fought 3 times. Perhaps you mean the UFC Unleashed of Hughes vs GSP 1, 2, and 3. Though how someone, new or otherwise could confuse Trigg with GSP... I'll never know =P

Matt Hughes and Frank Trigg haven't fought 3 times. Perhaps you mean the UFC Unleashed of Hughes vs GSP 1' date=' 2, and 3. Though how someone, new or otherwise could confuse Trigg with GSP... I'll never know =P[/quote']

correction: I meant 1 and 2. Don't know where I got the three from. Thank you for pointing out my stupidity. I must be new

yup

the whole time screaming "OH YEAH THIS DUDE IS GONNA KTFO OF THIS LITTLE ROYCE DUDE"

and then being disappointed...and then thinking "damn that dude is good' date=' what is he doing?"[/quote']

yeah here's how stupid i was = when gracie fought art jimmerson, the guy with one boxing glove, i was like "this little guy is gonna get KTFO" man was i wrong. i had no understanding of submissions at that time. then he beat shamrock who was pretty impressive looking at the time, then gerard gordeau who was a karate guy. after that i knew i had to learn bjj. all i was doing at that time was wrestling and boxing a little bit, didnt even THINK about combining the two at the time. how things change.........

My first fight card and fighter i watched was UFC 54 I bought it because someone told me about this bad *** named Chuck Liddell and I was at wal mart and saw this dvd with him on the cover so i bought it and watched his fight against Jeremy Horn and was immediatly hooked.

That vid makes me wonder what if kicks to the head whilst the opponent is on the ground were allowed in the UFC.

It was for sometime. Until some idiot lawmaker threatened to pull the plug on the whole MMA sport if they didn't do something about the brutal moves.

Hmm. I've been aware of MMA since I was a teenager studying karate, but as it got roughly NO promotion (not on PPv, no TV deal) in the UK and this was in the days before the internet, there was no way to get into it, despite the obvious hook of interest.

So I spent years as a wrestling fan, getting increasingly annoyed at the fakeness of the product, but without another sports/entertainment package to replace it with...

...then a few years back, UFC starts promoting more in the UK, one of my preffered former wrestlers joins the UFC and my interest is piqued. I started checking out videos online and the first 'cuirrent' MMA fight I saw was Lesnar vs. Mir I.

At that point I borrowed the DVD of TUF series 8 (won by Amir Sadollah) from my mate and was utterly hooked.

Since then I've checked out the results and fight videos for every UFC, Strikeforce and WEC event, and have started training and sparrting for MMA *(which is way more fun than the karate class I was going to go back to...)

I guess it's fair to say I'm one of ther fans that Brock brought with him, but I reckon it's actually the fact that Mir won the first fight which really spiked my interest.

As a relative newb who is spending a lot of time on boningh up on MMA history, I have a respect for the likes of Liddell and Wabnderlei, but my favourite fighters who've BEEN fighters since I started watching, less than 2 years ago are...

HW: Brock Lesnar, Frank Mir, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Junior Dos Santos, Fedor

LHW: Lyoto Machida (karate baby), Shogun Rua, Forrest Griffin, Jon Jones, Gegard Mousassi

MW: Vitor Belfort, Nate Marquadt, Dan Henderson (Anderson Silva annoys me...)

WW: GSP, Dan Hardy, Amir Sadollah,

LW: BJ Penn, Clay Guida, Frankie Edgar,

Archived