Penn vs Edgar... Any point ?

MAIA1

Frankie Edgar is a great fighter but lets be realistic what can he do with Penn ? If anyone was worthy I thought Maynard would be next in line who beat Edgar, although he didnt look too good against Diaz.

However il give Joe Silva credit for making Cote vs Belcher, should be a war.

No. I'm not even excited about it. Edgar couldn't even beat Maynard who is undefeated and apparently not worthy of a shot. He does not stand a chance against Penn. I think he should've atleast had to go through somebody else to get to him, like Florian. Or just let Maynard have it, which I would've like to have rather seen.

Cote vs Belcher...REALLY?! that one I haven't spotted, that's a brawl right there!

Maynard didn't get the shot as he shows he still needs to grow. Edgar isn't the type of fighter to get off his gameplan just because he hates an opponent, which Maynard did just that Monday night.

Penn vs Edgar is a classy match-up, one I feel they are rushing a little though. It feels as though Penn is really pushing towards cementing his status as the greatest LW and will accept any fight at this point, which clearly he has to being the champ.

As great of a fighter as he is, IMO he should slow the time between fights. I know he may get back to his lazy ways being off longer between fights, but he's going to burn the lightweight division out by the end of 2010 really lol.

Frankie Edgar is a great fighter but lets be realistic what can he do with Penn ? If anyone was worthy I thought Maynard would be next in line who beat Edgar' date=' although he didnt look too good against Diaz.

However il give Joe Silva credit for making Cote vs Belcher, should be a war.[/quote']

What does it matter what Edgar will be able to do? No one can beat Penn at the moment, so what is the difference between Maynard and Edgar besides a striking and wrestling match? Personally, I think Edgar deserves the shot first. Both have fought top competition but you have to think about Maynard's performance over Diaz.. If he struggled with Diaz what makes you think he can do any better against Penn? It just gives Maynard more time to train. I don't see why so many fans seem to be putting Edgar down.

Im taking nothing away from Edgar, you dont get a title shot for no reason. Who knows he could come out and surprise us, he did against Sherk. However although I dont think he could win either I believe Maynard is more deserving, due to his undefeated record and dominating win over Edgar.

theres 0 good fights for bj at 155 with the current ufc roster.. Zero... Bj should hit up a strength n conditioning program' date=' pack on a few lbs so hes a natural 170 and go take gsps title.... We all know he can givin gsp doesnt have 40lbs on him.[/quote']

exactly! Its a shame bj penn is too good lol oj. I think he should seriously think about vacating his title an let the title swap hands a few times move up to ww an have a crack at that because even if he didnt beat gsp (which btw in the shape an form bj looks at the moment i think he has a very good chance of), he would have better fights. The ww is stacked the lw div is really really poor.

Bj penn is just gunna maul every lw on the planet

There is no way that Frankie Edgar has earned a title shot. The only guys that he has been able to finish were Mark Boceck and Matt Veach. That's not exactly the elite of the division. I think the only reason they are giving him the title shot now is that they know if he is forced to fight any of the top guys in the division (Florian, Sanchez, Stevenson) that he will get beat and no longer serve as a viable contender.

Maynard deserves the shot more than Edgar with a win over him. I don't think that Maynard has shown that he is in BJs league either though. Pretty much anyone you feed BJ is toast anyway.

I would like to see some of the guys from the WEC come up and create some noise in the division. I would love to see a Ben Henderson vs BJ Penn matchup. I know they trained together before the Diego fight and Henderson said BJ is way better but it would still make for an intriguing matchup. Henderson is ridiculously hard to finish.

Archived