Whats with everybody hating Matt Hughes these days?

l1fel1ke

I've just noticed during my few months on these forums how much the fans these days seem to really despise Matt Hughes and I was wondering if there's a particular reason?

I started watchin the UFC back when Matt was in the midst of his ww domination of the world and although he's not my favourite fighter, several of his fights would be in my top 5 (namely the frank trigg II and carlos Newton I).

He's done so much for the ufc and been an influence on a number of top contenders in todays game... so really, why all the hate!?

He was dominate because of lay and pray... the reason i hate him is because he forces his religon on others... i do not give a damn what your believes are but keep them to yourself

edit: his record is not as spiffy as it seems hes got 40+ wins.. but 30+ of them are people no-one will ever know of

He was dominate because of lay and pray... the reason i hate him is because he forces his religon on others... i do not give a damn what your believes are but keep them to yourself

edit: his record is not as spiffy as it seems hes got 40+ wins.. but 30+ of them are people no-one will ever know of

Exactly, everything about Christianity. Even down to the shirts.

He really does think he is something. Being the "Down home, farmin', Christian boy" he likes to show others.

the dislike for matt hughes isn't really anything new. a lot of fighters and fans have diliked him for quite some time. respect for his skills and his wins. not so much for his attitude and holier-than-thou hypocrisy.

This ^ yeah hating on Matt Hughes is old school hate haha for me anyways I do respect him as fighter no doubt in my mind.

This ^ yeah hating on Matt Hughes is old school hate haha for me anyways I do respect him as fighter no doubt in my mind.

he was a good fighter for his time, he would be hard pressed to be a top 10 WW at this point... hes got a weak chin but decent wrestling... but his wrestling even though it is good is not good enough to get the LnP wins hes was able to get in the past

Matt Hughes was never Lay and Pray until later on in his career....slam and destroy is more like it.

^. But remember, most MMA fans have short memories. They only recall a fighters last, or worst performances.

Being a huge Hughes fan I'm obviously biased. His time as a TUF coach wasn't anything spectacular, but TV editing can also make things look different then how they really are. I've had the pleasure of meeting Matt, and even training down at the H.I.T camp for 3 months, just to get into it. He's a great guy. But of course that is my opinion and many people will always dislike him.

As far as being a top 10 WW. Looking at the current rankings, I think he could beat at least 4 of the current top 10 WW's, and on most of the sites providing rankings he is an Honorable Mention.

Will he ever hold the strap again? Probably not. He wasn't just a good fighter in his day, he was dominant. He's a 9 time champion. A future hall-of-fame member. Like him or not, the man paid his dues for MMA.

^. But remember' date=' most MMA fans have short memories. They only recall a fighters last, or worst performances.

Being a huge Hughes fan I'm obviously biased. His time as a TUF coach wasn't anything spectacular, but TV editing can also make things look different then how they really are. I've had the pleasure of meeting Matt, and even training down at the H.I.T camp for 3 months, just to get into it. He's a great guy. But of course that is my opinion and many people will always dislike him.

As far as being a top 10 WW. Looking at the current rankings, I think he could beat at least 4 of the current top 10 WW's, and on most of the sites providing rankings he is an Honorable Mention.

Will he ever hold the strap again? Probably not. He wasn't just a good fighter in his day, he was dominant. He's a 9 time champion. A future hall-of-fame member. Like him or not, the man paid his dues for MMA.[/quote']he was dominate over lesser fighters... if you compare opponent to opponent for Hughes and GSP

Trigg = GPS made him look stupid he out classed him by so much

Sherk = went the distance with Hughes in a close fight, against GSP he barely made it half way though the second round

Alves = beats Hughes yet GPS beat him like a red headed step child

Hughes was good in his day but GPS is far superior to him. Hughes is a good wrestler but thats his game, during his time thats all you needed to win in the WW div

he was dominate over lesser fighters... if you compare opponent to opponent for Hughes and GSP

Trigg = GPS made him look stupid he out classed him by so much

Sherk = went the distance with Hughes in a close fight' date=' against GSP he barely made it half way though the second round

Alves = beats Hughes yet GPS beat him like a red headed step child

Hughes was good in his day but GPS is far superior to him. Hughes is a good wrestler but thats his game, during his time thats all you needed to win in the WW div[/quote']

The two greatest WW's ever, GSP and Hughes. The thing with comparing them is simply this, Hughes himself always said GSP would be the future of the WW division. He's the next step up, the new breed. Though they have crossed paths three times they are fighters (in their respective primes) from different times. All the fighters are getting better, more well rounded. The fact that some of the previous champs and elite fighters are even still competing makes it compelling and impressive enough.

As far as the three comparisons

Trigg: Yes GSP outclassed him, made him look just plain bad. Hughes did the same in their first meeting. And their second has become one of the greatest fights ever. Twice Trigg has stepped in there with Hughes and been strangled. I personally would like to see it happen again.

Sherk: The fight with Hughes was NOT close.Yep GSP finished him. There were many times in the Hughes fight where the ref could have stopped it as well. He was handled for the entire 5 rounds by Hughes.This was also the first time in his first title reign that anyone was able to take him (Hughes) to a decision. A feat which at the time GSP failed to do. Yes, GSP was having great success in his first fight with Hughes, but the fact is he tapped, in the first. GSP fought Sherk nearly three years after Hughes did. Plenty of time to improve.

Alves. Not much to argue here. GSP handled him much better. Controlled him and took the decision. But even GSP can be stopped with a knee to the head :). Props to Alves for finishing Hughes.

Lets not forget Penn.

Many (I disagree) think Penn won the first fight with GSP. And he won his first crossing with Hughes as well. He was summarily smashed in the rematch with both guys. He had some success in the second round with Hughes but was finished, in dominant fashion in the third. Much as he was in the fourth against GSP.

Anyway I'm rambling. Yes the argument can be made that Hughes beat lesser opponents. But again, ALL the fighters are getting better these days. The sport is evolving. The fact is Hughes dominated the WW division for a long time. GSP is the new king, just as the old one predicted, and will likely enjoy as good of, if not a better, time atop the throne.

The two greatest WW's ever' date=' GSP and Hughes. The thing with comparing them is simply this, Hughes himself always said GSP would be the future of the WW division. He's the next step up, the new breed. Though they have crossed paths three times they are fighters (in their respective primes) from different times. All the fighters are getting better, more well rounded. The fact that some of the previous champs and elite fighters are even still competing makes it compelling and impressive enough.

As far as the three comparisons

Trigg: Yes GSP outclassed him, made him look just plain bad. Hughes did the same in their first meeting. And their second has become one of the greatest fights ever. Twice Trigg has stepped in there with Hughes and been strangled. I personally would like to see it happen again.

Sherk: The fight with Hughes was NOT close.Yep GSP finished him. There were many times in the Hughes fight where the ref could have stopped it as well. He was handled for the entire 5 rounds by Hughes.This was also the first time in his first title reign that anyone was able to take him (Hughes) to a decision. A feat which at the time GSP failed to do. Yes, GSP was having great success in his first fight with Hughes, but the fact is he tapped, in the first. GSP fought Sherk nearly three years after Hughes did. Plenty of time to improve.

Alves. Not much to argue here. GSP handled him much better. Controlled him and took the decision. But even GSP can be stopped with a knee to the head :). Props to Alves for finishing Hughes.

Lets not forget Penn.

Many (I disagree) think Penn won the first fight with GSP. And he won his first crossing with Hughes as well. He was summarily smashed in the rematch with both guys. He had some success in the second round with Hughes but was finished, in dominant fashion in the third. Much as he was in the fourth against GSP.

Anyway I'm rambling. Yes the argument can be made that Hughes beat lesser opponents. But again, ALL the fighters are getting better these days. The sport is evolving. The fact is Hughes dominated the WW division for a long time. GSP is the new king, just as the old one predicted, and will likely enjoy as good of, if not a better, time atop the throne.[/quote']IMO GSP won the first BJ fight... it should not of been a split D IMO BJ won the first round... but as soon as he broke GSPs nose he seemed to act like the fight was over, he was beat the second 2 rounds IMO

and the second fight was BJ getting taken out to the wood shed

the level of comition that hughes fought is not half as tough as what GPS is facing now... and the scary thing is GSP is making all his fights look easy where they never looked easy for hughes

he was a good fighter for his time' date=' he would be hard pressed to be a top 10 WW at this point... hes got a weak chin but decent wrestling... but his wrestling even though it is good is not good enough to get the LnP wins hes was able to get in the past[/quote']

until u take that leap and become an mma fighter dont comment, uv got 2 respect all these guys, ur sitting on a chair commenting, they r actually fighting, and at the end of the day whatever u say doesnt make a difference,no 1 cares my brother

why are u bitter bro? let the man practice his religion' date=' u hate a man for that reason?[/quote']

Bitter? First if you don't know that part you quoted...of what I said...

AKA..is American Kickboxing Academy...just in case you thought that had something to do with religion.

As for religion..I do recall making a comment about his Christianity or something. I don't really discriminate as far as religions go..they are all seriously lacking in the evidence and logic department. And in order to hold fast to any faith..you need to not only do so in the ABSENCE of all evidence..you need to do it IN SPITE of the evidence that DOES exist to the contrary.

But ultimately regarding Hughes' religion..I think he is entitled to whatever he'd like to believe.

Cheers

-DR

why are u bitter bro? let the man practice his religion' date=' u hate a man for that reason?[/quote']

i do not care what religion he is i care that he wants to force it on others

and i never said i did not respect him as a past fighter you asswhipe i said hes nothing now

hizoka bro why r u upset? grow a few brain cells and perhaps u can reply in a more civalized fashion, u did disresprect matt hughes u discredited his opponents on his record, why dont u muster up the courage and become a fighter, all ur good at is talking in a forum well bro thats all ur about 2 achieve, ur opinions are baseless and mean nothing adios

Bitter? First if you don't know that part you quoted...of what I said...

AKA..is American Kickboxing Academy...just in case you thought that had something to do with religion.

As for religion..I do recall making a comment about his Christianity or something. I don't really discriminate as far as religions go..they are all seriously lacking in the evidence and logic department. And in order to hold fast to any faith..you need to not only do so in the ABSENCE of all evidence..you need to do it IN SPITE of the evidence that DOES exist to the contrary.

But ultimately regarding Hughes' religion..I think he is entitled to whatever he'd like to believe.

Cheers

-DR

good bro, if u do not believe in god, or deny his excistance..or perhaps u do not believe in organized religion, thats u...others practice their religions, he did not inforce his religion but preaches his religion proudly and rightly so, dont inforce ur beliefs what ever they might be on others and do not hate others because their beliefs conflict with yours

good bro' date=' if u do not believe in god, or deny his excistance..or perhaps u do not believe in organized religion, thats u...others practice their religions, he did not inforce his religion but preaches his religion proudly and rightly so, dont inforce ur beliefs what ever they might be on others and do not hate others because their beliefs conflict with yours[/quote']

Ah. Thank you for the sermon Father. Should I consider myself sufficiently chastised? And how many Hail Mary's was that you wanted me to say Father?

Cheers

-DR

hizoka bro why r u upset? grow a few brain cells and perhaps u can reply in a more civalized fashion' date=' u did disresprect matt hughes u discredited his opponents on his record, why dont u muster up the courage and become a fighter, all ur good at is talking in a forum well bro thats all ur about 2 achieve, ur opinions are baseless and mean nothing adios[/quote']

dude do not troll a troll... yyu just end up looking stupid...Hughes fought 3 times the number of crap opponents then he did legit contenders, that is a FACT... its a FACT that GSP is better then Hughes at everything... stating fact is just that its not disrespect... sorry you are too damn dumb to know the differance

gdont inforce ur beliefs what ever they might be on others and do not hate others because their beliefs conflict with yours

And by this you mean not to do what EVERY established religion has been doing for thousands of years? You think the Native Americans knew who Jesus was prior to good ole Junipero Serra? nah...

Religion spreads itself like a disease and preys on ignorance.

I think it would do the world a whole lot of good if Agnostics and Atheists spoke up a bit.

Cheers

-DR

dude do not troll a troll... yyu just end up looking stupid...Hughes fought 3 times the number of crap opponents then he did legit contenders' date=' that is a FACT... its a FACT that GSP is better then Hughes at everything... stating fact is just that its not disrespect... sorry you are too damn dumb to know the differance[/quote']

i never mentioned gsp brother, the fact is matt hughes was a great fighter and commands respect and has done many things in the sport than just watching it on television like u, thats all..every single fighter deserves respect. uv gone off the topic, ur pea size brain cant cope with it...i understand gsp is an awesome fighter, and so was hughes back in the day, like any sport..athletes have their highs and lows ,u just dont get it

And by this you mean not to do what EVERY established religion has been doing for thousands of years? You think the Native Americans knew who Jesus was prior to good ole Junipero Serra? nah...

Religion spreads itself like a disease and preys on ignorance.

I think it would do the world a whole lot of good if Agnostics and Atheists spoke up a bit.

Cheers

-DR

religious freedom, each individual has the right 2 follow a certain religion, ur inforcing this notion of no god on others, ur not better than those who inforce religion on others

im surprized with u so called 'mma fans' u hate..dispise fighters critisize them...why dont u become a fighter then start talking..experience the pressure..their life...sitting on ur couch..any 1 can do that

why are you even here??? you are harping on everyone being a fighter... you hav no idea who fought here and who has not... you came into this thread when religon was mentioned... and yes Hughes had forced his beliefs on others

personally i thing religion is an exercise in stupidity, but that does not mean i want you to think the same.... feel free to believe what you want just don't expect me to believe it, or try to force it on me

why are you even here??? you are harping on everyone being a fighter... you hav no idea who fought here and who has not... you came into this thread when religon was mentioned... and yes Hughes had forced his beliefs on others

personally i thing religion is an exercise in stupidity' date=' but that does not mean i want you to think the same.... feel free to believe what you want just don't expect me to believe it, or try to force it on me[/quote']

we are here 2 talk about mma, but not 2 critisize fighters, and of course ur not a fighter...u have no respect for the sport im sorry brother

religious freedom' date=' each individual has the right 2 follow a certain religion, ur inforcing this notion of no god on others, ur not better than those who inforce religion on others[/quote']

I'm simply advocating that fact and logic should speak for themselves. And if you think somehow that we as a global community can simply eschew reason...then say goodbye to automobiles...computers...houses...everything other than a sharp stick and a rock.

Thought and rationality have been PROVEN to yield results.

Religion and superstition kills people and fosters ignorance.

I'll take progress.

And as a general aside...are you Hulk Hogan? Or a fan of his? Just curious...

Cheers

-DR

Once again to return the thread to its original point....

I personally haven't liked Hughes since he fought Carlos Newton, got choked out against the fence and dropped Newton to the mat. they were both out and the fight should have been a draw, yet he took the win, and I don't blame him for that but his superior attitude like he had just won by any means other than luck just turned me off to him big time. You can't deny he was the best in the world for a time and regardless of what you might think of his competition it was the best available in the UFC at the time so that is not his fault. It was/is his attitude of superiority that makes me not like him, and his blatant disrespect for Royce before and since their fight pisses me off too.

I guess he just reminds me too much of the stereotypical high school wrestling/football jock that I used to beat up in school and he never seemed to outgrow that stage.

Matt Hughes was never Lay and Pray until later on in his career....slam and destroy is more like it.

i agree and did you see him fight frank trigg dude got kicked in the nuts and the ref didnt even notice!! he still came back and destroyed him. great fight if you havent seen it go watch it.

He's good friends with Brock Lesnar and is basically a smaller' date=' slower, less athletic version of him.[/quote']

Given their repective places in this sport and its history I would say Brock is a bigger and less skilled version of Hughes. And at his best Hughes was proportionately just as fast and athletic if not more. Brock's speed and athleticism is impressive for a man his size but he is not the super athlete he is made out to be. His size makes his speed and athleticism look way more impressive than it actually is. Best in the HW division for sure, but he isn't half the athlete of many smaller guys.

MMA fans don't hate Matt Hughes, the loser wannabe noobs who post on MMA forums hate Matt Hughes. He was the most dominate welterweight in the history of the UFC and, like him or not, a very popular ambassador for the sport. The inbreds who post here and on sherdog have memories like goldfish, their shriveled little coors lite soaked brains are only capable of judging a fighter based on his last fight.

MMA fans don't hate Matt Hughes' date=' the loser wannabe noobs who post on MMA forums hate Matt Hughes. He was the most[b'] dominate [/b]welterweight in the history of the UFC and, like him or not, a very popular ambassador for the sport. The inbreds who post here and on sherdog have memories like goldfish, their shriveled little coors lite soaked brains are only capable of judging a fighter based on his last fight.

No he wasn't. He was the most DOMINANT WW in History.

If you are going to go through all that spent energy insulting people and assuming your own MMA superiority, which is pretty much your entire repetoir on this forum since your arrival, you could at least spell things correctly.

Just saying....

And I am an MMA fan, and I have disliked Matt Hughes for a long long time!

No he wasn't. He was the most DOMINANT WW in History.

If you are going to go through all that spent energy insulting people and assuming your own MMA superiority' date=' which is pretty much your entire repetoir on this forum since your arrival, you could at least spell things correctly.

Just saying....

And I am an MMA fan, and I have disliked Matt Hughes for a long long time![/quote']

Check your facts d-bag...he has the most successful title defenses at WW.

And I was posting from my cel phone, those damn buttons are too small for my mammoth fingers :)

PS. You always no that someone has no argument when they attack your spelling or grammar.

And I was posting from my cel phone' date=' those damn buttons are too small for my mammoth fingers :)

PS. You always no that someone has no argument when they attack your spelling or grammar.[/quote']

think you missed the guys point

think you missed the guys point

Yeah that happens quite a bit' date=' in such a hurry to use that anonymous internet courage to drop a "d-bag" bomb that the point goes flying by like an A-10 Warthog.

I just find it funny as hell that someone who has spent the entire last month insulting as many people as he can while all the time eschewing his own brilliance doen't know the difference between [i']dominate[/i] and dominant, or no andknow for that matter.

And I was posting from my cel phone' date=' those damn buttons are too small for my mammoth fingers :)

PS. You always no that someone has no argument when they attack your spelling or grammar.[/quote']

what is there to argue? all you are doing is throwing the 'noob/sherdog' card at people to try and make yourself look more intelligent in the subject because you are the one who has no argument. No one says they don't like the guy as a fighter. He was the most dominant WW at his time and he does have the title defenses, people are not denying that. People are saying they don't like him due to his attitude and actions. which is far more than justifiable for someone to dislike another person.

He was the most dominant WW at his time and he does have the title defenses' date=' people are not denying that. [/quote']

Thank you for agreeing with me.

Oh and I hate Matt Hughes too...I think he's an arrogant jesus freak. I just find the lack of respect he gets from retards like you and the downplaying of his accomplishments is ridiculous.

Archived