Tell me this doesn't make Dana a great guy...

NewDad09

This is iImmediately folowing UFC 104:

Visibly angry with the decision ? Who cares what I think? I'm only the ****in' promoter! ? White retreats with his entourage to his private dressing room, where he is joined by two financial officers from Zuffa. Along with Lorenzo Fertitta, White decides who should win the bonus money for best submission and the rest. Bonus checks for all the fighters are written out by hand. When they get to Shogun's check, White orders the accountants to "pay the taxes." Meaning, essentially, that he wants Shogun's previously contracted payday to be doubled.

With a check for $250,000 in hand, White goes off looking for Shogun.

When the defeated challenger sees the boss enter his dressing room, he rises shamefacedly from his bench ? his body language says defendant about to be sentenced. His manager stands stolidly at his left elbow; his entourage surrounds him in a semicircle.

White hands Shogun his check. He points to the amount. "Tell him that's the real number," White instructs the manager.

"Thank you, thank you very much," Shogun says in heavily accented English. Back home in Curitiba, Brazil, his wife is expecting their first child. He looks appreciative ? if not exactly satisfied.

"We paid the taxes," White reiterates. Maybe he didn't understand? He points to the check again. "That's the real number there. That's take-home pay."

Shogun listens to the translation. He ratchets his proud, chiseled jaw one crank higher. "Okay, thank you," he says. "Thank you very much."

"I know it doesn't erase what happened."

Resigned: "No, no problem."

"But it's gotta make you feel a little better." White elbows the fighter playfully in the triceps ? I just gave you an extra hundred grand, dude, lighten up!

Shogun breaks down and smiles for real. White regards him appraisingly. "Do you want a rematch?"

No translation is necessary.

The cornermen clap and cheer and hug one another. They pound their fighter on the back. He winces.

"He will do it if Machida will do it," the manager says, not to be disincluded.

"Thank you very much," Shogun says. This time you can tell he really means it.

"No, thank you," White says. "Great fight. Really great fight." He also means it. "But listen. Next time? Be more aggressive at the end. When there's thirty seconds left, go for it, steal the round, you know what I mean?"

"I know I know I know," Shogun says. Coming into that last round, he'd thought he had it won. The expression on his face is universal

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/features/people-who-matter-2010/dana-white-ufc-0210-3#ixzz0ccLORj7k

And earlier in the article they mention Dana getting hit in the face with a shovel as a child and that's the reason his face turns down on the right side when he smiles. Whacked with a shovel people...to the face...OUCH

I wish I worked for Dana White...the most my emplyer every gave me was Tobelrone chocolate bar at christmas. Cheat cuunt :mad:

Two questions, can add your quote:

Translation = "I know I'm going to tossed around and pounded like a roofied prom date and there's not much I can do about it."

to my header/footer.

And if so, could you show me how. I just read that after I started this thread and I'm still laughin. I'm bed ridden with a back injury and my day is now made.

Yeah, I just read that article yesterday. It was a good show of class by DW. It doesn't make him god though. Anyone with a good heart and some cash to throw around would have done it. I was happy he did it though. Shogun is a good guy and a good poster boy for the sport. With a fight as close and controversial as that, it'd be pretty hard not to justify a rematch.

And earlier in the article they mention Dana getting hit in the face with a shovel as a child and that's the reason his face turns down on the right side when he smiles. Whacked with a shovel people...to the face...OUCH

I'm not buyin it.

That got ripped off from Adam Sandler in "Little Nicky"

Thanx 4 this article, very happy 2 see Shogun get rewarded in some way. I remember hearing something about Dana doubling the pay but never the play by play like this article. I wonder if this is what Shogun was telling the media at the post fight press confrence I think about Dana White telling Shogun something that he could not revile or let be heard. Seems like this article answers this question 4 me.

Archived