Disrespectful MMA Fans

shrimp_jao

So, almost every UFC event that I have watched, at one point or another, the crowd starts to boo the fighters in the ring. This always makes me furious. Besides the fact that they are probably drunk and are uneducated in the ground game of fighting, they are being totally disrespectful to the professional fighters who make great sacrifices to fight in the UFC. Why should somebody risk losing a fight and hurting their career just to put on a show and make the Joe Schmoes in the crowd happy? Last time I checked this wasn't the WWE, meaning pure entertainment.

If you watch the PRIDE events, the Japanese fans never boo. They show true respect to the fighters in the ring.

Thoughts?

well if you think the fights suck on tv imagine how bad it would suck being at the event .. people pay big dollars to see action .. so when people like alexander houston and kimbo fight they get pissed .. and when people start circling around the ring not engaging they probably feel they are in for another snooze fest .. not to mention the single directional of view they have and highly over priced beer .. and instant chain reaction syndrome from boo .. all hyped up and get to watch crap.. most these people dont know crap about mma and clearly are not true mma fans ( lol..had to throw that in there)

Well yea I personally just dont boo at all it doesnt accomplish anything but some booing is more ridiculous than in other cases. When people just boo because its a ground fight or just because they are interbred and think its fun its worse than other cases where the fighters are just circling each other an not engaging or getting takedowns and just setting in guard. Also sometimes the booing is due to what they feel was a poor decision at the end and what not, it seems like some cities are more proned to idiotic booing than others i'd kinda like to go back and see what parts of America are more retarded :)

So' date=' almost every UFC event that I have watched, at one point or another, the crowd starts to boo the fighters in the ring. This always makes me furious. Besides the fact that they are probably drunk and are uneducated in the ground game of fighting, they are being totally disrespectful to the professional fighters who make great sacrifices to fight in the UFC. Why should somebody risk losing a fight and hurting their career just to put on a show and make the Joe Schmoes in the crowd happy? Last time I checked this wasn't the WWE, meaning pure entertainment.

[b']If you watch the PRIDE events, the Japanese fans never boo. They show true respect to the fighters in the ring. [/b]

Thoughts?

that's a great point that i never noticed. wonderful thread!

haha the japanese didnt boo cause the fighters knew they had to put on a show in pride, or else they would lose 10% of their purse each time they got given a warning

but yer fans are spoilt by mma these days and start acting like brats if the fighters arent standing in front of each other and throwing haymakers constantly

x

So' date=' almost every UFC event that I have watched, at one point or another, the crowd starts to boo the fighters in the ring. This always makes me furious. Besides the fact that they are probably drunk and are uneducated in the ground game of fighting, they are being totally disrespectful to the professional fighters who make great sacrifices to fight in the UFC. Why should somebody risk losing a fight and hurting their career just to put on a show and make the Joe Schmoes in the crowd happy? Last time I checked this wasn't the WWE, meaning pure entertainment.

If you watch the PRIDE events, the Japanese fans never boo. They show true respect to the fighters in the ring.

Thoughts?[/quote']

People want fights, not mixed martial arts competitions. It's the Joe Schmoes that fork over $50 bucks a PPV and if you don't give them what they want, they won't pay. It's that simple.

i have said this before about the japanese fans loving the ground game as much as the stand up. I understand booing in some fights Kimbo vs Alexander and Quarry vs starnes but they boo sometimes in the first minute of a fight sometimes when fighters are feeling each other out. And the ground game is something to be admired i understand lay and pray is boring but sometimes people are booing when someone is working for a submission.

LIke many others have stated before, people are paying big money to go to these fights and watch them. I have to admit that I booed during a fight that I attended. I was at the strikeforce event where sheilds pulled that lay and pray crap on mayhem. I know that fighters come in with game plans that they need to excute, and I am a fan of ground game over throwing wild punches but when a fight is boring and not entertaining why not show how you feel.

Now i have to say that I do hear a lot of booing at the recent UFC events, I have never been to one live but from the PPV to me its getting a little overdone. Back to the strikeforce event i was seated behind this idiot guy who kept booing and screaming stupid stuff through each fight. He was drunk and that probably contributes to majority of the booing but what really gets me is how drunk some people get and outta control. Like someone stated earlier these fighters put their health on the line, I dont like booing unless its necessary(it hardly ever is), but I jsut see booing as a way for the more retarted fanbase or the Brocktards (lol jkjk) to try and show how cool they are... ;););)

What the hell is with everyone caring about the fighters' health? They CHOSE to get into a cage and fight someone. How do you win a fight? By hurting the other guy more than he hurts you. This is primarily why people boo, because one, usually both, of the fighters are too scared to try and end the fight. Look at BJ Penn for example. He knew he won the first 4 rounds of the Sanchez fight, and he still went for the kill in the fifth. Fighters like that will forever be fan favorites.

Is a cultural thing but I still think its disrespectful. Its not just MMA. I've seen it at boxing matches too before MMA blew up in popoularity. I went some Olympic prelims at the Garden years back, and I just couldn't believe how bad the boo-ing was. Now I see it at MMA events and it baffles me still. I hate that these hard working fighters are not shown any appreciation. If they do silly stuff like not engage at all I myself get annoyed, but it has to be rather extreme and still I won't boo. Not much you can do, just hope as the sport grows that people will be more educated about what is really going on in the cage.

10 seconds of inactivity and the boo birds come out. God forbid it be a grappling match or a BJJ game of chess.

Well, the UFC is a business, and they want as much money as humanly possible, anyone disagree? No? Good. If you haven't noticed, a lot of what the UFC promotes is huge KO's, stand up wars, and a LOT of action. So, as their promos and commercials air on TV and such, and a casual fan sees this, they want to witness this. If they don't see it, of course they will boo, they came for the KO's. That's arguably the reason Kimbo was brought in. That's arguably the reason Chuck Liddell is still around. So in a way, it's the UFC's own fault for promoting something they can't guarantee.

The UFC turned MMA into a business. If you instead have these fights take place in a local MMA gym where it is pure sport and competition, no business, the turnout is only gonna be the dedicated MMA fans, and you will see no booing.

What the hell is with everyone caring about the fighters' health? They CHOSE to get into a cage and fight someone. How do you win a fight? By hurting the other guy more than he hurts you. This is primarily why people boo' date=' because one, usually both, of the fighters are too scared to try and end the fight. Look at BJ Penn for example. He knew he won the first 4 rounds of the Sanchez fight, and he still went for the kill in the fifth. Fighters like that will forever be fan favorites.[/quote']

I Agree with you. Fighters fight to hurt each other, thats their job, thats what they train for, thats what their paid for. People BOO because they pay to see a fight, I didnt like the dias - guida, dias- maynard, and alot of the kimbo - alexander fights because i found them boring. If you whent to pay to watch a fight and fighters are just holding each other like guida did to diaz, or watch them walk around in circles like alexander and kimbo im sure most of you would be pretty annoyed too. When you go to a fight you get pumped up and into the fight, yeah most people say stuff and booing is annoying when its not apropriate but i just cant see someone sitting there with their legs crossed not saying anothing, and when someone gets KO'd do you want people to start clapping?? All this is part of the show or fight or whatever you want to call it.

I'd say that in 9 out of 10 cases the booing from the fans is just idiotic because they simply have no clue what's actually going on, but in some cases there is definitely a good reason to boo. The prime example that people will probably use for a long time is the Kimbo Slice vs Houston Alexander match.

Anyway I'm sure that any die hard mma fan is never going to boo fighters when they're at a match because they understand most aspects of the game, but at the same time I'm sure there are a lot of people who attend UFC events who are just casual fans or even just people who are simply lucky to get tickets. These are the people who are there purely to be entertained with some knockouts.

Archived