Dos Santos vs. Gonzaga...upset in the making???

CarlLane

Naaaaah.

a lot of people don't realize this but re-watch the Carwin fight Gonzaga was winning until his chin came into play, if he can land another head kick like he did with Cro-Cop...watch out world!

...............i don't necessarily think he can though :P

Why would it be an upset if Gonzaga wins? JDS is still the younger guy, still needs to beat a top 5 contender like Gonzaga. I think it would be an upset if JDS wins. Tats just me.

I pick Gonzaga to win by UD, and kill the phenom hype. Cain Valasquez is the phenom in the HW division. Thats just me.

Why would it be an upset if Gonzaga wins? JDS is still the younger guy' date=' still needs to beat a top 5 contender like Gonzaga. I think it would be an upset if JDS wins. Tats just me.

I pick Gonzaga to win by UD, and kill the phenom hype. Cain Valasquez is the phenom in the HW division. Thats just me.[/quote']

there is no way Gonzaga is a top 5 contender, top 10 yes, not top 5

Agreed' date=' Gonzaga is not top five.[/quote']

The only reason I say top 5 is because Carwin gets a title shot after beating him, and has won 3 outta 5 since his title shot against Couture. There isnt any real ranking structure in the UFC. They go off hype, wich is unfortunate. Example: Vitor gets a title shot against Silva.

Hype and odds in the picture? JDS is the favorite. I still think Gonzaga wins this fight in a war.

The only reason I say top 5 is because Carwin gets a title shot after beating him' date=' and has won 3 outta 5 since his title shot against Couture. There isnt any real ranking structure in the UFC. They go off hype, wich is unfortunate. Example: Vitor gets a title shot against Silva.

Hype and odds in the picture? JDS is the favorite. I still think Gonzaga wins this fight in a war.[/quote']

JDShas very good striking skills superior to gonzaga plus we know gonzaga can be dropped so ihave JDS

Think this is a very intriguing match-up because they are both well-rounded, but JDS has a clear stand-up advantage, and trains with Nog so he has to have ground skills and I think he'll win. However, I wouldnt be too suprised if Gonzaga wins because hes shown hes dangerous standing up , and has great BJJ.

The only reason I say top 5 is because Carwin gets a title shot after beating him' date=' and has won 3 outta 5 since his title shot against Couture. There isnt any real ranking structure in the UFC. They go off hype, wich is unfortunate. Example: Vitor gets a title shot against Silva.

Hype and odds in the picture? JDS is the favorite. I still think Gonzaga wins this fight in a war.[/quote']

I hope i see a war, heavyweights are just used to finishing fights quick

Remember Carwin was originally supposed to fight Velasquez first, Gonzaga didn't lead him straight to the title. I have Gonzaga sitting around seventh in the top ten heavyweights. I'd say it would go Lesnar, Mir, Nogueira, Dos Santos, Velasquez, Carwin and then Gonzaga.

Remember Carwin was originally supposed to fight Velasquez first' date=' Gonzaga didn't lead him straight to the title. I have Gonzaga sitting around seventh in the top ten heavyweights. I'd say it would go Lesnar, Mir, Nogueira, Dos Santos, Velasquez, Carwin and then Gonzaga.[/quote']

I know, then they changed thier minds and gave the shot to Carwin and Rothwell to Cain. BS. Its all about hype in the UFC. I hate that. I get it, but hate it.

Maybe Im too old school, but there really needs to be a ranking structure in the UFC. So guys that arent ready (Ken flo when he fought Sherk) dont get undeserved shots. Lesnar, Nogueira, Mir, Carwin, Gonzaga, Valasquez, JDS, and the rest.

I think JDS will run through him, this guy is on fire and its pretty sad he isnt getting enough attention. Cro Cop was the only one to take him out of the first round I believe and he is a seasoned vet. I feel like JDS has what it takes to make a run for the title in a couple more fights, as for gonzaga he may fall down the path of a gatekeeper which I believe JDS has proven himself with his wins to be fighting other top contenders. Although I didnt see his last fight, we have yet to see how goods JDS ground games is.

I know' date=' then they changed thier minds and gave the shot to Carwin and Rothwell to Cain. BS. Its all about hype in the UFC. I hate that. I get it, but hate it.

Maybe Im too old school, but there really needs to be a ranking structure in the UFC. So guys that arent ready (Ken flo when he fought Sherk) dont get undeserved shots. Lesnar, Nogueira, Mir, Carwin, Gonzaga, Valasquez, JDS, and the rest.[/quote']

I agree, title fights are too based on marketability over actual accomplishments, which I don't like (just look at the Maynard/Edgar situation). I'd like to see an official ranking system as well, made with complete objectivity and stop giving away premature title shots like you said.

Remember Carwin was originally supposed to fight Velasquez first' date=' Gonzaga didn't lead him straight to the title. I have Gonzaga sitting around seventh in the top ten heavyweights. I'd say it would go Lesnar, Mir, Nogueira, Dos Santos, Velasquez, Carwin and then Gonzaga.[/quote']

Santos is in the bottom barely clinging to the top 10 if anything... you cannot be top5 when the only possible top 10 you have fight is Wendum... JDS is hype nothing more... anyone can KO cans and has bens

what makes it a stunning upset? gonzaga earned a shot at the title at one point. it won't be an upset when gonzaga wins. i like and respect JDS, especially for his honor and respect about Nog, but Gonzaga is a beast and tries to break you in half with every strike

I think Gonzaga will beat Dos Santos and I also believe that he would (puts on flame retardant suit) beat Lesnar as well.

the only reason i agree with any of this is the leg kicks...to the head and mid section as well as legs of Lesnar you gotta chop him down. The only problem with that is, as soon as you throw a kick that sets you up for the takedown. Brock "The G&P King" Lesnar rules the mat.

a lot of people don't realize this but re-watch the Carwin fight Gonzaga was winning until his chin came into play' date=' if he can land another head kick like he did with Cro-Cop...watch out world!

...............i don't necessarily think he can though :P[/quote']

I really hope your kidding. Gonzaga had a very lucky night with that head kick, fighting a fighter whose best years were behind him. You mentioned that Gonzaga lost the Carwin fight due to his chin, Have you seen Dos Santos's striking?

Dos Santos by murder.

Now i'll be the first to say that I think that Dos Santos is the UFC's future champion. I don't care if I get buried for it. He's that good in my opinion. He's never truly been in trouble, and always sticks to his game plan in the ring. He knows how to cut off the corner, and use his reach. He's probably the best boxer in the UFC. I don't know too much about his ground game, other then that he is trained by Nogueira, for several years, which means that he must have good submission defense.

In this fight I see him knocking out Gonzaga. I think he has even more punching power then Carwin. He throttled Cro Cop, and made Yvel hunt for excuses. I do think that Gonzaga has a better ground game, but he's gonna have alot of trouble getting Dos Santos down to begin with, let alone keeping him there.

I'll call the fight being stopped in the 2nd round, and by KO. Even then Dos Santos will just remain a silent contender in the Heavyweight division as he isn't a brash individuals, or stand out by having "Brown Pride" tattooed on his chest.

I really hope your kidding. Gonzaga had a very lucky night with that head kick' date=' fighting a fighter whose best years were behind him. You mentioned that Gonzaga lost the Carwin fight due to his chin, Have you seen Dos Santos's striking?

Dos Santos by murder.[/quote']

yeah, you're not paying attention...I to think Dos Santos will win and big, but what is to say Gonzaga can't get another lucky head kick, actually Gonzaga dominated that fight against an aged Cro-Cop...also he WAS winning the Carwin fight until Carwin caught him on his button...I've watched everything in the UFC son so don't come asking me what i've seen!

Archived