Why was Joe Calzaghe never given the respect that we deserved in America?

LegoPig

I mean the guy was 40-0 and had beaten the best in his weight division, yet many people say he was over rated. He beat Roy Jones Jnr, Bernard Hopkins, Peter Manfredo, Mikkel Kessler and absolutely destroyed Jeff Lacy. Yet people say he has not fought anybody.

Joe in my eyes, and in many other people's eyes went down as one of the greatest of all time, an I honestly believe if he was one of the greatest P4P fighter that ever lived.

Well he beat Eubank when he was champion to take the title' date=' so there is one of them :)[/quote']

Granted, but when they fought, Eubank was past his prime - Eubank/Benn 1 and 2, plus the Watson fights - they were prime fights.

Plus Benn/McClellan of course, one of the top 5 fights....

I mean the guy was 40-0 and had beaten the best in his weight division' date=' yet many people say he was over rated. He beat Roy Jones Jnr, Bernard Hopkins, Peter Manfredo, Mikkel Kessler and absolutely destroyed Jeff Lacy. Yet people say he has not fought anybody.

Joe in my eyes, and in many other people's eyes went down as one of the greatest of all time, an I honestly believe if he was one of the greatest P4P fighter that ever lived.[/quote']

He never fought the best when they were the best.

He has the Flyod Mayweather air about him of a guy who was a little to picky choosy.

He may have been the best but we'll never know.

Also you have to keep in mind that he fought in and around a weight class that had some hall of famers in it during his time.

Barkely, Toney, Jones, BHop.

Don;t get me wrong, I love Clazaghe as a fighter. He had it all.

Like I said, there is just that sort of air about his career that he was over managed and that he was kept away from the dangerous fighters.

Mayweather has the same thing.

I have no problem puting Calzaghe up there with the best of them.

But the question is why he is not ghiven the respect in America and the answer is that many American fight fans believe he did not fight the best out there.

Perdsonally I agree with you. He fought who they put in fromt of him and thats all you can ask of the fighter.

I don;t remeber him making any demands for Roy Jones to take special drug tests in order to sink a fight.

Noe doubt Joe is among the best, but while his management kept him fighting in Europe most of his career to pad his record the BEST were fighting each other over here.

No way was he faster than Roy Jones junior, or tougher and more tactical than B-Hop, while they were in the prime of their careers. I remember when Calzhage first started making a name for himself and that little troll Larry Merchant asked B-Hop about it and he said he'd fight him any time, but that didn't happen til several years later.

Kessler is proving during this ongoing Super 6 tourney that he is a good fighter, but not among the best.

I put Calzhage 3rd among all time European fighters, behind 1a Lennox and 1b Vlad

Archived