What's with all the hype surrounding Jon Jones?

Mirko4life

Because he has shown the skills and abilities to do just that. Call his opponents cans if you like but he did what he was supposed to do as the better fighter, kicked the cans, and usually quite convincingly. I think his skill, style, and athleticism is going to take him very far. He is still young, still very humble, and very well spoken and intelligent so he not only has the physical tools to be a star but he is a promotional dream so far. He has big things in his future, but then Brandon Vera could change all that real quickly.

Because he has shown the skills and abilities to do just that. Call his opponents cans if you like but he did what he was supposed to do as the better fighter' date=' kicked the cans, and usually quite convincingly. I think his skill, style, and athleticism is going to take him very far. He is still young, still very humble, and very well spoken and intelligent so he not only has the physical tools to be a star but he is a promotional dream so far. He has big things in his future, but then Brandon Vera could change all that real quickly.[/quote']

i think the hype is all because he is exciting he has the tools to be great but only time will tell

Look for a fight coming in the near future with some top competition to prove or disprove the hype. He's way above average but fighting top competition can take away all of the hype real quick! I look forward to seeing him face some of the top of the division!

Yeah..I think that Jones is just getting better and better. He looked his best in his toughest test with Hamill. NO ONE has done that to Hamill. Jones shut him down HARD.

So...is there hype? Yeah. But...he deserves it for what he's shown. And I expect him to beat Vera.

Also...look at the guys frame. It's PERFECT for 205. Lanky...LONGEST REACH IN THE UFC! But the guy has phenominal core strength. If you can look at this guy and NOT think "what if" I don't think you've been paying attention.

Cheers

-DR

you cant stop Bones. he has the longest reach in the UFC and uses it very well. im willing to bet you that he will be the favored to win against anyone at 205. his next fight vs Vera will be a mosterious victory. dont clich with this fool or you will be in a world of hurt and dont try and strike with him because your only going to get beat to the punch. SO WHAT DO YOU DO?

Let's not get too crazy about Matt Hamill. Hamill isn't exactly anything special. The guy hasn't beaten anyone of note. His biggest fight was against Franklin where he got tko'd. And really, at 33 years old I don't see him progressing much more. I can see him as a Gatekeeper for the UFC.

the hype is based on Bones' Striking as it is as unorthodox as you can get when it comes to striking, and not to mention his enormous reach advantage on almost the entire division.

with what he did to Bonnar and Hammill, who aren't push overs by any means, was very impressive.

the hype is the idea of this guy faceing a real contender, such as Vera. If he pulls off the W against Vera, he will be getting a bigger named fighter by the end of the year gaurenteed.

Let's not get too crazy about Matt Hamill. Hamill isn't exactly anything special. The guy hasn't beaten anyone of note. His biggest fight was against Franklin where he got tko'd. And really' date=' at 33 years old I don't see him progressing much more. I can see him as a Gatekeeper for the UFC.[/quote']

hes tough as nails. im not saying he will be champ or even top 5 for that matter but he is a tough and underated opponent

the hype is based on Bones' Striking as it is as unorthodox as you can get when it comes to striking' date=' and not to mention his enormous reach advantage on almost the entire division.

with what he did to Bonnar and Hammill, who aren't push overs by any means, was very impressive.

the hype is the idea of this guy faceing a real contender, such as Vera. If he pulls off the W against Vera, he will be getting a bigger named fighter by the end of the year gaurenteed.[/quote']

this^^^^^

People like exciting fighters who put on exciting fights' date=' Jon Jones is just that.

And you could hardly consider Matt Hamill a "can", but Jon Jones put a serious beating on that poor boy.[/quote']

honeslty hes like a young Chuck Liddel... he throws stuff from odd angles that people do not expect

I love what i read... He throws from odd Angles and people don't exspect it? Then why does he rarely land those crazy punches?

And Hamill looked like he was landing more until he was taking down. Jones kept over throwing his punches. Jones hasnt dona anything yet. And with his lose to Vera he'll be just another LHW fighter. He has NOT ONE dominating performance yet. HE has 2 decision victories 1 sub. victory, and 1 lose in the UFC. How Dominant he is ?!?!

I love what i read... He throws from odd Angles and people don't exspect it? Then why does he rarely land those crazy punches?

And Hamill looked like he was landing more until he was taking down. Jones kept over throwing his punches. Jones hasnt dona anything yet. And with his lose to Vera he'll be just another LHW fighter. He has NOT ONE dominating performance yet. HE has 2 decision victories 1 sub. victory' date=' and 1 lose in the UFC. How Dominant he is ?!?![/quote']

Just because you win by decision doesnt mean you arent dominant, look at GSP vs Fitch or GSP vs Alves. And Jones has all this hype because he is a good fighter now and he is only 22 years old and he is only going to get better in the next few years, i dont know if he will hold the title but he will be a contender

Just because you win by decision doesnt mean you arent dominate' date=' look at GSP vs Fitch or GSP vs Alves. And Jones has all this hype because he is a good fighter now and he is only 22 years old and he is only going to get better in the next few years, i dont know if he will hold the title but he will be a contender[/quote']

Fitch and Alves could have gone another 2 rounds, they both still had full tanks (although Fitch wouldnt have had a face left) I dont care about age, everybody said the same about Karo back in the day (because of his age). I'll take a look at his next two fight to see if he's really progressed that much.

He's beaten a bunch of cans and people are saying he will be the next champion. Puh-leaze.

I like Matt Hamill, but Jones showed Matt how to use his hammer on his face. No one has come close to dominating Hamill like Jones did. It's just way to obvious that Jones will turn alot of fighters into bones.

He's beaten a bunch of cans and people are saying he will be the next champion. Puh-leaze.

not trying to sound like AK or anything but ive been excited for Jones future before he stepped in the octagon.. and aftr the Gusmao fight i told my friends he was gonna be one of the top 205's for sure... after Bonnar.. seriously at 22 years old someone shouldnt be able to demolish a UFC vet in his second fight..i told every1 hed be a champ in the future.. and after this hammill fight i can safeley say when this man reaches his peack at around the age of 30.. he will be unstoppable

Huh, he's beaten a bunch of cans. What are you using??? Stephan Bonnar isn't a can. Dude has beaten Keith Jardine, and put on many a good fights with Bonnar. Oh, and Jon Jones was beating down Matt Hamil, whom absolutely destroyed Bisping (Though he lost the decision). True, Jon Jones was disqualified for an illegal elbow, but the ref erred IMHO, as he should have stopped the fight.

He's an unorthodox fighter, has knockout power, is explosive, and has excellent takedowns.

He's the one that can/will beat, Anderson Silva. No matchmaker would give him that chance though, as the UFC probably wants Anderson to always remain an icon for the best pound for pound fighter in the world. A match with someone as unorthodox as Jon Jones would throw off anyone's game plan, plus Jon Jones has an 80" reach. He's gonna hit you from across the ring.

he should gain weight and fight at HW' date=' his legs are like toothpicks.. Vera is gona crush him with leg kicks

u cant even talk about a Jones - Silva fight, he hasnt done **** yet.. silva would own him[/quote']

If I was allowed to bet against you, I would. I don't even think Vera will make it to the 3rd round. Be prepared to eat your words when the fight happens. I plan on remembering you, and finding this thread to rub it in your face when Vera loses :D

If I was allowed to bet against you' date=' I would. I don't even think Vera will make it to the 3rd round. Be prepared to eat your words when the fight happens. I plan on remembering you, and finding this thread to rub it in your face when Vera loses :D[/quote']

hahaha dont try to dodge me after jones gets ktfo

you cant stop Bones. he has the longest reach in the UFC and uses it very well. im willing to bet you that he will be the favored to win against anyone at 205. his next fight vs Vera will be a mosterious victory. dont clich with this fool or you will be in a world of hurt and dont try and strike with him because your only going to get beat to the punch. SO WHAT DO YOU DO?

I really don't see him beating Vera they both come from Greco backrounds Vera's is better in my opinion but i think his muay thai will be so much sharper than anything jones has to offer

Look at all the LHW contenders. Can you really put him up with the top 5 in the group? There is a lot of talent in LHW that he hasn't yet challenged: Evans, Rampage, Shogun, etc.... LHW is the most interesting weight group out of all UFC cause its not a one man show shop. So we shall see what the future has for jones.

Bones' greco-roman wrestling is incredible. He threw Bonnar around at will and even suplexed him like he was playing with his little brother. He destroyed Matt Hamill with his wrestling and ground control, and Hamill was a deaf Olympic-level wrestler. He is young, athletic, explosive and has the knuckle dragging arms of a gorilla. Brandon Vera has been less than spectacular over his past three fights. If Randy can control him with his wrestling, Jones will absolutely dominate him. Vera is going to get his walking papers after Jones walks through him.

LOL. People saying Jones don't have the wrestling, or skills to be a great haven't been watching him. He absolutely dominated Hammil and Bonnar. Who was the last person to just dominate Bonnar? No one has Dominated Bonnar like that, No one has dominated Hammill like that. So far John Jones has made everyone he fought look like jokes.

Bonnars only losses are to people who HAVE HELD UFC gold. And NONE of them made Bonnar look as bad as John Jones did.

Hammills only real loss is to Rich Franklin WHO HELD UFC GOLD! Bisping didn't beat Hamill even though his record sayd he did. He was ripped off so I don't count that one. And NO ONE handled Matt Hamill like John Jones did.

Say what you want. Be an idiot if you want. John Jones is making waves in the division, and I'm sure there are some top 5 ranked fighters looking nervously in thier rear view wondering when their card is getting pulled to fight the kid. He's going to be a real threat in the division.

Mark my words. In fact, I'll sig it for you.

Archived