What Justifies a title shot

mtagt56

Its strange old world is the ufc and recently its getting more and more strange.

Here is my thinking its all around Title Shots and how they are earned or how a fighter ends up with a shot at the title.

I was sat up late one night watching UFC Fight night think was Monday. Joe comes out with a comment after Couture v coleman trailer "So Randy the winner of this fight will get a title shot"? No disrespect here but seriously does coleman or randy actually deserve to be next in line for a title really and against machida ? I think there is plenty a head of them plenty. I love Randy but dont think he is up there in the stakes as potential number 1 contender just yet.

Now lets look at future event MIR V Dos Santos for the interim heavyweight title wtf really Mir has been great recently absolutley great in his last fight he showed his skill against an apponent that lost his last fight so I wudnt have said that was the right fight to put him back into contention.

Oh then there is Hardy v GSP that again I dont think Hardy is the number one contender mainly because I didnt think swick was the one to beat to get him on that ladder.

Another final thought the middleweight title is not defended anywhere near as much as it should. I would personally think every event should have a title shot on it.

For me is Cain and then im pushed to find an apponent im unsure if its dos santos.

Whats everybodys thoughts? If you think im totally wrong I can except it as everybody has an opinion of what they think would be right etc....

it all dpeends on who Dana thinks can bring in the most money more often then not

and at time he protects the champs he back

Yushin Okami earned 3 title shots at Silva and was never granted one because they didn't think he would pull in the money and had the style that could beat anderson, same with Marquart in a rematch

Its strange old world is the ufc and recently its getting more and more strange.

Here is my thinking its all around Title Shots and how they are earned or how a fighter ends up with a shot at the title.

I was sat up late one night watching UFC Fight night think was Monday. Joe comes out with a comment after Couture v coleman trailer "So Randy the winner of this fight will get a title shot"? No disrespect here but seriously does coleman or randy actually deserve to be next in line for a title really and against machida ? I think there is plenty a head of them plenty. I love Randy but dont think he is up there in the stakes as potential number 1 contender just yet.

Now lets look at future event MIR V Dos Santos for the interim heavyweight title wtf really Mir has been great recently absolutley great in his last fight he showed his skill against an apponent that lost his last fight so I wudnt have said that was the right fight to put him back into contention.

Oh then there is Hardy v GSP that again I dont think Hardy is the number one contender mainly because I didnt think swick was the one to beat to get him on that ladder.

Another final thought the middleweight title is not defended anywhere near as much as it should. I would personally think every event should have a title shot on it.

For me is Cain and then im pushed to find an apponent im unsure if its dos santos.

Whats everybodys thoughts? If you think im totally wrong I can except it as everybody has an opinion of what they think would be right etc....

Actually its Mir vs Carwin

Alright well Frank Mir is fighting Shane Carwin for the interim HW title, mostly because JDS, Cain, and Big Nog already had scheduled bouts so it does make sense. Not to mention Frank Mir is easily a top 5 HW and therefore should always be in consideration for a title shot until he falls down the ladder.

As for the UFC 109 headliner, I highly doubt it's going to determine who gets the next title shot because neither one of these guys are even top 5 LHWs right now. Sometimes Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg don't know exactly what they're talking about, this may be one of those cases.

I would say that Mir is acctually fighting Carwin for the Interim belt, and Joe said the winner of Couture v Coleman could possibly be in line for a title shot. Not get one.

Its all about hype in the UFC. Examples are as follows: Vitor gets Anderson after one fight back at 195... Marquardt earned it. Carwin gets a shot (possibly) at the Interim title... Nogueira earned it. Edgar gets a shot at BJ... Maynard beat him. Dan Hardy gets a shot... Fitch earned it.

Its all about marketability, what hype biased fans want, and who has and hasnt already had a shot.

Hardy gets the shot because everyone ranked above him has already been beat by GSP. Same thing with Edgar at LW and Beflort at MW.

The HW division is kinda screwy right now with the Champ being down for so long.

LHW the next title fight will be the Machida vs Shogun rematch. No way Randy or Coleman jumps that line.

I would say that Mir is acctually fighting Carwin for the Interim belt' date=' and Joe said the winner of Couture v Coleman could possibly be in line for a title shot. Not get one.

Its all about hype in the UFC. Examples are as follows: Vitor gets Anderson after one fight back at 195... Marquardt earned it. [b']Carwin gets a shot (possibly) at the Interim title... Nogueira earned it[/b]. Edgar gets a shot at BJ... Maynard beat him. Dan Hardy gets a shot... Fitch earned it.

Its all about marketability, what hype biased fans want, and who has and hasnt already had a shot.

I don't see how Big Nog is more deserving of a shot than Shane Carwin.

Carwin is 3-0 in the UFC, his longest fight lasting about a minute and a half.

Big Nog is on a single fight winning streak which only consists of a decision win over Randy Couture, before that he got T(KO)ed by Frank Mir.

Hardy gets the shot because everyone ranked above him has already been beat by GSP. Same thing with Edgar at LW and Beflort at MW.

The HW division is kinda screwy right now with the Champ being down for so long.

LHW the next title fight will be the Machida vs Shogun rematch. No way Randy or Coleman jumps that line.

Like I said, whoever hasnt been beaten already, along with hype and marketability.

I don't see how Big Nog is more deserving of a shot than Shane Carwin.

Carwin is 3-0 in the UFC' date=' his longest fight lasting about a minute and a half.

Big Nog is on a single fight winning streak which only consists of a decision win over Randy Couture, before that he got T(KO)ed by Frank Mir.[/quote']

Again, hype and marketability. I truly think that Nogueira is the #1 dude. Carwin #3. Im ok with all the pictures right now, minus the MW with Belfort.

it all dpeends on who Dana thinks can bring in the most money more often then not

Yushin Okami earned 3 title shots at Silva and was never granted one because they didn't think he would pull in the money and had the style that could beat anderson' date=' same with Marquart in a rematch[/quote']

I'm not so sure.

Being a 'decision fighter', usually means you have to wait longer for your title shots. It does make business sense, because as you said, Yushin wouldn't bring in nearly as much money as a fight against Hendo.

Regardless, losing to Rich Franklin killed any momentum that Okami had, and the fact that he just got TOOLED by Sonnen, proves that Okami was never championship material anyways.

FWIW, Okami cannot, WILL NOT, beat Anderson Silva.

Same goes for Nate Marquardt.

What justifies a title shot is how many tickets/pay-per-views you will sell. Lesner shouldn't have had near enough fights. Silva one against Leben and got one. BJ didn't fight for like 2 years and got one. GSP got KO'd by Serra, really didn't have to go about proving himself against anyone and got an immediate rematch IN CANADA. Only Machida fought throught the ranks to get his belt.

I understand though and i'm not bitter or anything, business is business. I think even the fighters understand this. But this should perfeclty answer your question.

What justifies a title shot is how many tickets/pay-per-views you will sell. Lesner shouldn't have had near enough fights. Silva one against Leben and got one. BJ didn't fight for like 2 years and got one. GSP got KO'd by Serra' date=' really didn't have to go about proving himself against anyone and got an immediate rematch IN CANADA. [b']Only Machida fought throught the ranks to get his belt[/b].

I understand though and i'm not bitter or anything, business is business. I think even the fighters understand this. But this should perfeclty answer your question.

What are you talking about?

GSP had to work his way to a title shot against Matt Hughes.. TWICE!

Secondly, he didn't get an immediate rematch against Serra. He beat Koscheck and Hughes again before he got his title shot against Serra.

Yushin Okami earned 3 title shots at Silva and was never granted one because they didn't think he would pull in the money and had the style that could beat anderson' date=' same with Marquart in a rematch[/quote']

+1

What are you talking about?

GSP had to work his way to a title shot against Matt Hughes.. TWICE!

Secondly' date=' he didn't get an immediate rematch against Serra. He beat Koscheck and Hughes again before he got his title shot against Serra.[/quote']

true, prob shouldn't have put him in this category. i'm just not a fan of the way they made Serra, the champ at the time, defend his title against GSP in front of his crowd. Kinda messed up. But yes, he did have to win some fights to get back there...

First, it's Mir vs. Carwin. Second, Hardy vs. Swick was a #1 contender bout therfore if Swick won he would have got the shot too. Third, Cain is overrated and would get smashed by Lesnar, Mir, JDS, Carwin, etc.

What justifies a title shot is how many tickets/pay-per-views you will sell. Lesner shouldn't have had near enough fights. Silva one against Leben and got one. BJ didn't fight for like 2 years and got one. GSP got KO'd by Serra' date=' really didn't have to go about proving himself against anyone and got an immediate rematch IN CANADA. Only Machida fought throught the ranks to get his belt.

I understand though and i'm not bitter or anything, business is business. I think even the fighters understand this. But this should perfeclty answer your question.[/quote']

Actually the reason they put Silva for the title is because no one else was in line and Silva landed 100% of his strikes against Leben, literally. I agree that Brock didn't deserve the title shot. BJ Penn beat Jens Pulver to get his. GSP beat Koscheck and Hughes to get his.

I don't always agree with who's getting the shot but I think it's been pretty fair thus far. I think it's a combination of business, record, competition fought, and honest ability to threaten the champ. The Hardy title shot is a bit of a mystery to me but all others in recent action haven't been a shock atleast not to me. Sure I may have picked differently a few times but the time's I would have it wasn't like "oh my god what are they thinking". Oh well just my opinion.

You should have to beat the top 3 in the division to get it. Not how Bj Penn begged Dana for the shot with GSP' date=' THAT HE SO DID NOT DESERVE!

Title shot needs to be earned by hard work, Not a big mouth.[/quote']

Sadly, title shots will never be earned. its always gonna be about the benjamins cuz its a business.

one a side note, you have to admit the people who maybe didn't earn a title shot by going through contenders (BJ at LW, Silva at MW, and Lesnar at HW) haven't done to badly, so maybe they didn't earn it with victories, but it's obvious they earned it by talent.

First' date=' it's Mir vs. Carwin. Second, Hardy vs. Swick was a #1 contender bout therfore if Swick won he would have got the shot too. Third, Cain is overrated and would get smashed by Lesnar, Mir, JDS, Carwin, etc.[/quote']

Guys apologiese over my error. Orginaly on here ti was MIR V Santos but I wasnt vigelant enough to double check before I wrote anything and subsequently changed or so i think (maybe i dreamed it)

I think mentioned i didnt think swick was deserving.

I defo think ti comes down to hype, sell ability. But is contradicts all the garbage dana spouts out of his mouth, like giving the fights the fans want to see.

I would suggest it would be an idea ot have kind of fan vote maybe if it was possible 4 fighters in kind of vote of who the fans wanna see fight. At least until the ranking system is sorted out effectively

Guys apologiese over my error. Orginaly on here ti was MIR V Santos but I wasnt vigelant enough to double check before I wrote anything and subsequently changed or so i think (maybe i dreamed it)

I think mentioned i didnt think swick was deserving.

I defo think ti comes down to hype' date=' sell ability. But is contradicts all the garbage dana spouts out of his mouth, like giving the fights the fans want to see.

I would suggest it would be an idea ot have kind of fan vote maybe if it was possible 4 fighters in kind of vote of who the fans wanna see fight. At least until the ranking system is sorted out effectively[/quote']

but at the same time, "the fights fans wanna see" = "hype/sell ability"

Sadly' date=' title shots will never be earned. its always gonna be about the benjamins cuz its a business.

one a side note, you have to admit the people who maybe didn't earn a title shot by going through contenders (BJ at LW, Silva at MW, and Lesnar at HW) haven't done to badly, so maybe they didn't earn it with victories, but it's obvious they earned it by talent.[/quote']

Bingo, finally someone who understands the system. If someone looks dominating before they get the title and then destroy the champ there would be no good title fights left and people would get bored, IE-BJ vs Edgar, GSP vs Hardy.

Like I said' date=' whoever hasnt been beaten already, along with hype and marketability.[/quote']

On the money.

If you get asked for the title shot, you take. Am I the best.... No. Should I do it.... Yes.

GSP... Your fighting Hardy... LOL, for sure. Money in the bank.

Ect, ect, ect.

Archived