A new topic worth talking about

Harris170

With MMA exploding into a global phenomenon and Boxing steadily fading away into the darkness. I think it is more than logical that MMA should replace Boxing in the 2012 Olympics. It would without a doubt resurge the popularity of the Olympics and further catapult the MMA fanbase beyond all expectations. So I honestly believe that all fans, fighters and executives should really put the squeeze on to make this become a reality.

THOUGHTS???

yea i thought about that after i posted the thread but you catch my drift and i def dont think boxing is overcoming mma

Well it could go either way right now, but there were some big fights in boxing in the 2nd half of 09 followed by tonnes of injuries causing bad cards in UFC...but now that is fixed up and some awesome cards are on the way we will see....pac vs mayweather is off and no other exciting fights coming up but we will see.

Yeah I don't think boxing is coming back. Their entire SPORTS megafight came close to happening and then Mayweather had to cause problems. So there's been more mainstream talk about boxing regarding that superfight...but even that is dying down now since it's off.

Whereas in MMA. There are a good number of superfights that could be made.

Cheers

-DR

Replace? Definitely not' date=' boxing has been around longer and is starting to overcome MMA again.

But yes MMA should be added...but it can't just override something that has been around forever.[/quote']

another post to your ignorance

Boxing was not around much before "MMA" when it came to the ancient olympics

Boxing was there as early as 688 BC

Pancration (the oldest forum of martial art which combined striking with grappling) 648 BC, when you are talking that far back 40 years is nothing

Pancrace did not come back in the modern olympics like boxing it was broken down into single diciplines, it was also the ONLY game not reinstated for the modern olympics

and just an FYI the first olympic winner at boxing was a women and there was no mens games and womens they partcipated together... the only exception was Spartians were not allowed to enter the Pancration games because they were too skilled at combat and it was thought they would accidentlly kill people

It'd be weird to have wrestling' date=' judo, boxing, taekwondo - all seperate sports - at the Olympics and then also Mixed Martial Arts which encompass all of those.[/quote']

good point but the others besides boxing aren't really showcased like boxing and besides would you rather see the arts seperately or just have tkd and judo swapped for mma

With MMA exploding into a global phenomenon and Boxing steadily fading away into the darkness. I think it is more than logical that MMA should replace Boxing in the 2012 Olympics. It would without a doubt resurge the popularity of the Olympics and further catapult the MMA fanbase beyond all expectations. So I honestly believe that all fans' date=' fighters and executives should really put the squeeze on to make this become a reality.

THOUGHTS???[/quote']

im not trying 2 b a **** but boxers have a skill different than mma its really unfair 2 compair. i can garuntee u that any pro boxer can KO any MMArtist and any MMArtist can find a way 2 beat them but yeah i would b so stoked 2 c MMA in the olypics we can see ur golden boys like GSP&BJ get tested unlike the other champs Anderson Silva has proved he's 2 good.How many opponents does he have 2 destroy b4 u realize he cnt b beaten?

Replace? Definitely not' date=' boxing has been around longer and is starting to overcome MMA again.

But yes MMA should be added...but it can't just override something that has been around forever.[/quote']

+1 thanx i really dislike 2 hear people hate on boxing because the best MMArtist wants 2 pro box u would b a fool 2 question Anderson Silva's skill no one can beat him not Belfort,Mardquart,or the beloved Hendo fans his biggest threat right now is Mousasi.Would love 2 c that fight

The Olympic Games are a major international event of summer and winter sports, in which thousands of athletes compete in a wide variety of events. The Games are currently held every two years, with Summer and Winter Olympic Games alternating. Originally, the ancient Olympic Games were held in Olympia, Greece, from the 8th century BC to the 5th century AD.

Below is a picture of the Olympic rings

Olympic_Rings.png

another post to your ignorance

Boxing was not around much before "MMA" when it came to the ancient olympics

Boxing was there as early as 688 BC

Pancration (the oldest forum of martial art which combined striking with grappling) 648 BC' date=' when you are talking that far back 40 years is nothing

Pancrace did not come back in the modern olympics like boxing it was broken down into single diciplines, it was also the ONLY game not reinstated for the modern olympics

and just an FYI the first olympic winner at boxing was a women and there was no mens games and womens they partcipated together... the only exception was Spartians were not allowed to enter the Pancration games because they were too skilled at combat and it was thought they would accidentlly kill people[/quote'] +1 very nice but what ur typical dip **** mma fan doesnt know that catch wrestling was the 1st form of mma along with Vale Tudo

+1 very nice but what ur typical dip **** mma fan doesnt know that catch wrestling was the 1st form of mma along with Vale Tudo

umm no pancration beats them by a few thousand years... it was about the first documented combat sports that used striking (both hand and feet) long with submissions and chokes... it was modern day MMA and the only rule at the start was no killing, thus no Spartans allowed

With MMA exploding into a global phenomenon and Boxing steadily fading away into the darkness. I think it is more than logical that MMA should replace Boxing in the 2012 Olympics. It would without a doubt resurge the popularity of the Olympics and further catapult the MMA fanbase beyond all expectations. So I honestly believe that all fans' date=' fighters and executives should really put the squeeze on to make this become a reality.

THOUGHTS???[/quote']

I had to vote boxing just because i am a boxer and am hoping to try and maybe compete in the Olympics, but I would absolutely LOVE to see MMA become an Olympic sport, definitely deserves to be and it definitely would introduce hundreds of thousands of new fans, and with the Olympics being in Rio Di Janero in 2016 I think if it doesnt happen for these Olympics it will for those.

BTW boxing is not dead, and Mayweather wasnt the one to start problems for the superfight as someone else on here said, Pacquiao shouldnt be roiding up!

Sure MMA in the Olympics would be great but it's unrealistic that it will ever happen. It violates the very basic principle of the Olympics. Olympic competition determines the best athlete in the world in a particular discipline, with very specific, internationally recognized rules, regulations, and guidelines. MMA by definition is a mix of several disciplines, and there is no internationally recognized set or rules, regulations, or guidelines. As a sport, it just dosen't fit in Olympic competition. It is more reallistic to push for BJJ and Muay Thai being added than MMA.

As much as we all love MMA, in reality it will never replace boxing on the world stage. As well as being one of the oldest, boxing is one of the few sports that transcends all barriers worldwide. As jumbled and messed up as pro boxing is, the international amature competition is one of the few remaining bastions of pure amatuer athletic competition in the world. And Pro boxers are the most widely recognized athletes on the planet as well, You can go to Peruvian villages, African oases, Asian rice paddies, and Australian billabongs and there is a good chance you will find boxing fans who recognize guys like Pacquiao, Mayweather, and Klitschko. And none of them will know Brock, GSP, or A. Silva even exist.

Pankration, the world's first MMA type sport, was in the first Olympics because it was taught as a single discipline, and still is all around the Mediteranean. It uses open palm strikes, takedowns and submissions. Kicks are a part of the discipline but rarely used because of the TD factor. There is still a few pankration tournaments held yearly, the largest being held in Turkey, and these were the forerunners of the "King of Pancrasse" events since pankration itself is considered an amatuer only sport and is held mainly for regional and schools bragging rights.

Damn the older I get the longer my posts get.

Archived