Transition...

TrueGrit

We have seen kimbo transition from street to the UFC..He isnt complete but he is workin on it...herschel walker is makin his debut, brock and bobby from pro wrestlin, james toney is tryin to get in, some ex pro NFL players were workin through TUF..It got me thinkin which Sports athlete could make the best transition with the skills from there sport to MMA and could they make it in the UFC?

We have seen kimbo transition from street to the UFC..He isnt complete but he is workin on it...herschel walker is makin his debut' date=' brock and bobby from pro wrestlin, james toney is tryin to get in, some ex pro NFL players were workin through TUF..It got me thinkin which Sports athlete could make the best transition with the skills from there sport to MMA and could they make it in the UFC?[/quote']

Well, in if you are a great athlete in the heavyweight weight class, chances are, if you're american, you're going to end up playing football, or basketball, or baseball, or maby Hockey. If you can't get into one of those things, then maby you'll consider transitioning over to MMA. So really, most high teir professional athletes have a good chance at making a transition to MMA simply because most of the competition in MMA is below the level of their athleticism. The same is not true for the lower weight classes. If you weigh 170 pounds walk around, there's no way in hell you can make it onto any NFL team or Hockey team unless you are just obscenely fast and agile, so for a guy like that, their athletic outlet tends to be a combat sport.

So basically, if you're in a sport like football, you can probably make some waves in MMA, although maby not dominate, depends... but if you're in a sport like tennis or swimming, or water polo or something, don't bother trying, the guys likely to be in your weight class are equal athletes to you already.

In terms of guys in other combat sports, I think, by enlarge they have a pretty good chance in MMA, simply because whatever sport they are in is probably more established and has a longer legacy of elite level fighters. 10 years from now though, I think most MMA fighters will probably beat equivalent ranked boxers in boxing matches, let alone MMA fights. MMA is going to get more and more profitable, and I think a huge amount of the athlete traffic will move in that direction.

Well' date=' in if you are a great athlete in the heavyweight weight class, chances are, if you're american, you're going to end up playing football, or basketball, or baseball, or maby Hockey. If you can't get into one of those things, then maby you'll consider transitioning over to MMA. So really, most high teir professional athletes have a good chance at making a transition to MMA simply because most of the competition in MMA is below the level of their athleticism. The same is not true for the lower weight classes. If you weigh 170 pounds walk around, there's no way in hell you can make it onto any NFL team or Hockey team unless you are just obscenely fast and agile, so for a guy like that, their athletic outlet tends to be a combat sport.

So basically, if you're in a sport like football, you can probably make some waves in MMA, although maby not dominate, depends... but if you're in a sport like tennis or swimming, or water polo or something, don't bother trying, the guys likely to be in your weight class are equal athletes to you already.

In terms of guys in other combat sports, I think, by enlarge they have a pretty good chance in MMA, simply because whatever sport they are in is probably more established and has a longer legacy of elite level fighters. 10 years from now though, I think most MMA fighters will probably beat equivalent ranked boxers in boxing matches, let alone MMA fights. MMA is going to get more and more profitable, and I think a huge amount of the athlete traffic will move in that direction.[/quote']

could you imagine bill romanowski fightin?

It all depends on the individual. There are too many intangibles when fighting to just say "football." Big baby looks like he'd be unstoppable, but he has a glass jaw.

That being said, football and rugby require the most explosive strength, which is very important in MMA.

Well' date=' in if you are a great athlete in the heavyweight weight class, chances are, if you're american, you're going to end up playing football, or basketball, or baseball, or maby Hockey. If you can't get into one of those things, then maby you'll consider transitioning over to MMA. So really, most high teir professional athletes have a good chance at making a transition to MMA simply because most of the competition in MMA is below the level of their athleticism. .[/quote']

Where to begin...first of all, not every athletic guy wants to play football or baseball or basketball. Some people love martial arts from a young age, and have only the desire to train in that area. So, to say that people get into MMA because they can't 'get into one of those things', is completely rediculous. GSP is as athletic as ANY football player & way more so than any baseball player, but MMA is his chosen field. Secondly, to say that any high tier athlete would have a good chance at transitioning to MMA is unbelievably ignorant! Being able to tackle or hit a ball, or throw a ball through a hoop has NOTHING to do with being able to fight. I have known plenty of 160lb guys who could kick the sh** out of a 250lb football player, because they know how to fight, whereas the football player knows how to play football. Now, that's not to say that all football players can't fight, becuse certainly there are some who can; but just because you're strong & athletic, it does NOT equal fighting prowess. With the right training, any pro athlete can switch to MMA, but to be successful at it, he's going to need several years of fight training & the the mindset of a fighter. A lot of people just don't have that.

rugby, first of all rugby players have already proved good boxers (anthony mundine) guys like mundine and garth wood didnt have the big gap in fitness like we saw with nfl players on TUF. rugby league and union is a constant go go go go go go go where as NFL is stop stop stop very slow moving game. look at dave taylor, some people think this kid could dominate if he changes to MMA. google dave taylor he plays for the brisbane broncos friken huge and runs 100 metre in under 12 seconds and has a bench press of around 190 or so kgs.

this is david taylor.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200903/r354465_1628584.jpg

he is 20 years old, 21 this year i think.

like i said runs the 100 metres in under 12 seconds and a ripped 250 pounds, rugby league player, IF he had instruction he could do well in MMA...

You have to go with hockey. I mean they let you drop the gloves and fight in the middle of the game. It is definately the most fast paced of all the sports listed, I do not think cardio would be an issue. And I know the fights dont last long, but they fight on skates on the ice. That has to be tough.

Check out these nhl knockouts (yes I am biased towards the flyers lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR-KTIgsrJ4

You have to go with hockey. I mean they let you drop the gloves and fight in the middle of the game. It is definately the most fast paced of all the sports listed' date=' I do not think cardio would be an issue. And I know the fights dont last long, but they fight on skates on the ice. That has to be tough.

Check out these nhl knockouts (yes I am biased towards the flyers lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR-KTIgsrJ4[/quote']

good videos..Hockey Players would be good at dirty boxing i bet..lol

I've got to go with rugby players. They are used to taking hits with no pads, have great cardio and are used to pushing other people around with their weight. In places where rugby is popular, the best athletes that are too big for soccer play rugby so it gets my vote. I also think that hockey players could transition well. They are hard nosed athletes with good cardio that like to fight.

rugby' date=' first of all rugby players have already proved good boxers (anthony mundine) guys like mundine and garth wood didnt have the big gap in fitness like we saw with nfl players on TUF. rugby league and union is a constant go go go go go go go where as NFL is stop stop stop very slow moving game. look at dave taylor, some people think this kid could dominate if he changes to MMA. google dave taylor he plays for the brisbane broncos friken huge and runs 100 metre in under 12 seconds and has a bench press of around 190 or so kgs.

this is david taylor.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200903/r354465_1628584.jpg

he is 20 years old, 21 this year i think.

like i said runs the 100 metres in under 12 seconds and a ripped 250 pounds, rugby league player, IF he had instruction he could do well in MMA...[/quote']

mariusz pudzianowski(numerous world strongest man) is also a keen amateur rugby union player, and made his debut in mma a couple of months ago. he won via his opponent tapping due to strikes.

Archived