Paul Daley on Potential Koscheck Fight: 'That Fraggle Is Going to Get Rocked'

BKCS

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/01/14/paul-daley-on-potential-koscheck-fight-that-fraggle-is-going-t/

Paul Daley subtly let the cat out of the bag about who his next opponent will be, as he recently posted on his Facebook page that he was, "... Ready to kick one Fraggle haired customers a**." Daley (23-8-2), the hard-hitting British fighter who is now 2-0 inside the Octagon, didn't name names, but most assumed he was referring to Josh Koscheck (14-4)

MMA Fighting spoke to the confident Daley about the status of his fight against Koscheck, why he wants to fight him so badly, and the continued criticism of his ground game. The full interview is below.

Ariel Helwani: I'm assuming you were referring to Josh Koscheck when you wrote that comment about your next opponent on Facebook, right?

Paul Daley: Yeah, it's Koscheck. I've said I want Koscheck. I'm so serious about this -- I want Koscheck. Koscheck isn't asking for me; I'm waiting for him. He had an injury -- this is his first time back in the gym this week. I could have taken a different fight, but I'm waiting for him. I feel like I have something to prove not only to the UFC but to all the chumps on the Internet that talk sh*t and say, 'Daley's got no ground game; Daley's got no takedown defense.' Whatever. I want to see what their excuse is going to be after I knock Koscheck out.

First, it's, 'Daley can't fight jiu-jitsu fighters; he's going to get subbed by Hazelett.' Hazelet gets knocked out. [Prior to that,] 'Kampmann's too much of an all-arounder; Daley's going to lose by whatever Kampmann wants.' Kampmann gets knocked out. I've always been proving doubters wrong away from the UFC, and now it's time to shut a few more mouths up.

Any updates on the status of the fight?

No updates. We're juggling around a few dates at the moment. There's a few possibilities: I've heard quite a few things about April being a possible date in Abu Dhabi, [also] about possibly doing the first UK Fight Night here over in my hometown in Nottingham. I've heard May in Canada ... You know, I've heard a lot, but it's going to happen in the next few months if Fraggle Rock signs.

Do you have a preference?

I don't mind, man.

You don't care?

Nope. That Fraggle is definitely going to get rocked.

I feel compelled to ask your feelings on his hair.

Dude's a fraggle and he should really do something about that. Seriously. I know a good barber over here in Nottingham, if he wants me to sort him up.

Why do you want to fight Koscheck so badly?

Because he's been a contender and he's worked his way back to being a contender again. I think it's just a fight that shows that I'm ready to be talked about for a championship title fight. I've fought the all-arounder Kampmann, I've fought the jiu-jitsu guy in Hazelett, I'm fighting the high-level wrestler in Koscheck. I think the only thing that's left is to fight a high-level striker like Thiago Alves and then a title shot.

So if you get passed Koscheck, Alves would be next on your checklist, right?

Or anybody else who is deemed to be a top striker in the division. I know Fitch has been out in Thailand doing his bit out there, even though he's got his wrestling background. But I think Alves is the only striker within title contention that makes sense. You've got your Chris Lytles, your Marcus Davis, your Amir Sadollahs -- all great strikers -- but none of them are really being talked about as a possible future opponent for GSP.

Koscheck has said some things in the past about your friend and training partner, Dan Hardy. Is that one of the reasons why you want to fight him?

Not really. I think Koscheck is just playing up to a character that he's built and he's just going with it. People didn't like him to start off, so he was like, 'What the heck, I might as well ride with that. I'm going to continue to play the bad guy.' It's doing him good. I think he's a cool guy. I was in the changing room with him before the Kampmann fight, and he didn't say too much. I saw him backstage before the Hazelett fight. I said hello, he said hello. You know, I respect him and I respect what he's tried to do in order to promote himself, but his time's up.

What did you think of his performance against Anthony Johnson at UFC 106?

I didn't think the finger went to the eye, but I thought Koscheck fought a great fight. He switched it up when he wasn't having much success doing what he was doing. He was unpredictable, and I think worked out for him.

So you think he faked the eye injury?

Yeah, of course he faked it. The finger didn't go nowhere near the eye.

Why do you think he would do that?

I don't know. I don't know him as a guy. But for me, I've fought with broken limbs, dislocated joints, you know, blood gushing out of my head. I think he was looking for an easy night, an easy pay day. Maybe he didn't train too hard for the fight.

Back to the your most recent fight, was there anything you did or didn't do against Hazelett that you weren't happy with?

No, I think I did everything pretty much according to plan. I was patient; I waited for the right opportunity to strike, and when I struck, it was devastating. If you ask my coaches in the UK and Holland, that was my exact game plan.

Some of said that you didn't deserve the UFC 108 Knockout of the Night award because you missed weight, and as I'm sure you know, Dana White said that Anthony Johnson didn't win the award at UFC 104 because he missed weight. How do you respond to that?

It's not the fact that I missed weight. It's the fact that the doctor didn't allow me to make the weight. I would have made the weight; the doctor just didn't allow me to do it. So I think that's the difference between me and Anthony Johnson.

Are people starting to recognize you more in Nottingham now that you're doing so well in the UFC?

Yeah and no. The hard core MMA fans, they've always been supportive of me. Just now my friends and family get to see more of me on TV, so yeah, it's nice.

A lot of people believe things will turn out a little differently for you when you face a top wrestler. Are you just sitting back and laughing at all of this criticism while you continue to do will in the UFC?

Yeah, I'm just chilling. I haven't got much to say, you know. I've got a few good people who are going to be in camp with me for this fight and I think I got better wrestlers than Koscheck's working with me and I think that my takedown defense is not as bad as people think. So it's not a matter of me doing an intensive three weeks of trying to get better takedown defense because I have decent takedown defense already. It's just a matter or working with better fighters and wrestlers who are going to build my game up. You know, I have great guys with me now: I have Kenny Johnson, BJ Penn's coach. I have "King Mo," whose coming over to Holland with me to work out with me. Guys like Gunnar Nelson are going to be in camp, you know, a Renzo Gracie black belt and an ADCC fighter. As well as the regular guys at Rough House and Melvin Manhoef and the guys over at Mike's Gym. So I have better training than Koscheck with better guys. Koscheck is just another head for me to take off. It's nothing. Really, it's nothing. That's the way I look at it. People always mock my confidence, but I have a funny way of proving people wrong..

I think Daley is being very smart here because the more he says he will KO Koscheck the more Koscheck will want to stand and bang to prove a point which would only end in a sore head for him! I give Daley this all day long and cant wait to see it!!!

If you boo me the left hook will come!!

Its funny how he just called alot of posters on here out haha

the people who said he has no takedown defence he has a great sprawl and his TD defence is rather good too

you just need to watch fights of his back check youtube and youl see about his TD defence

and the guys that thought hazelett would sub him also haha its quite obvious hes been looking on here

but i will say he has had problems with more establisked wrestlers for example jake sheilds mind you he did stuff alot of take downs from him too

im going for daley by KO

as i think Kos will try to stand

If Kos trys to stand with Daley he's going to go the way of Hazlett. I am really looking forward to this fight. If he can't handle Koschecks wrestling there is no way he can handle GSP's. If he can, then ya if he gets a win over Kos and Thiago he may very well be really for a bout with GSP.

I was very impressed with Daley in his win over Hazelett. If he gets by Koscheck it would be a huge win for him and you could even argue him getting a title shot directly after that if he wins in devastating fashion just because it would be a new challenger to GSP's title.

The welterweight division so pretty stacked now though in terms of challengers. Fitch, Alves and Koscheck are all people who are arguably one win away from a rematch against GSP. If Daley knocks out Koscheck I could easily see him getting a title shot assuming GSP beats Hardy simply because of the time table and the whole fresh opponent mentality the UFC has been favoring lately.

On a side note: does anyone think Daley has a better shot against GSP than Hardy? I do.

I'm sure the haters will pick him apart for this but I like Daley more and more every time he does an interview. He has a fighters attitude for sure. And everything he said is pretty much true. I don't really understand the fascination with Koschek people have. He is a tool and basically loses every third fight or so. Other than GSP Kos hasn't faced any stiffer competition Than Daley, And Daley is almost twice as experienced. You don't go 30something fights with 23 wins while having "no ground game" or "no takedown defense". Too many people see 2 Daley fights in the UFC and since he showcased only striking they assume that is all he's got.

I also didn't realize that he has some truly top notch guys to train with. Definitely a big advantage. You don't think that he has picked up some things working with a 40 lb heavier King MO that he could use against any wrestler his size?

Instead of letting nationalistic and irrational hate cloud your judgement, He is the real deal and I believe will have the largest impact of any Brit in the UFC.

I'd love to see Daley knock Koscheck out, but I think Koscheck's wrestling is going to give Daley problems.

On the other hand, Koscheck's ego is big enough to get him to stand with Daley which would probably end up with Koscheck face down on the mat and Daley moving onto a title shot.

Kosheck will win this fight.

Johnson had a huge following before he stepped into the ring with him' date=' who is he now? Same deal with happen with Daley.[/quote']

Johnson is a total rookie in comparison to Daley, and any admiration for him is based on perceived potential. Daley is at that point in his career where he is just meeting his potential. Even if he loses to a lay n pray decision, which in reality is Kos only chance, I will still prefer him as a fighter both stylistically and personality wise.

If he can KO Koscheck then I think he'll gain a decent fanbase from it. I also think he's playing a very clever game here. The more he says "I'm gonna knock Koscheck out", the more Kos is gonna wanna stand with him, and the more likely it is that we'll see Koscheck knocked out.

I've liked Daley since the Cage Warriors days because of his fighting style. I think his personality has sometimes been questionable, but no worse than most of the other big strikers in the UFC. Definitely looking forward to this fight.

lol i think we are about to see the daley train come off the tracks. despite daley trying to convince you and himself that he's ok on the ground, know this. he's lost 7 of his 8 losses because of the ground. im not impressed with his win over kampmann.he tried to strike with a much better striker, its an obvious outcome. the hazlett win was even less impressive. haz is terrible in the standup department. if i had known he was gonna stand with daley, i woulda bet everything i owned on this fight. if hazlett had done the right thing and taken him down, he woulda subed him within a minute. it wasnt like daley defended against sub attempts, so i dont know why he's crediting himself with beating a great bjj guy in that context.

kos on the other hand, doesnt have these weaknesses. if kos chooses, he will easily take daley down and win the fight. but i dont think he will. i think kos will stand and bang with him. and seeing as how kos just outstruck a guy whos a better version of daley, i think he has a very good chance of doing the same to daley.

I dont think anyone is saying he flat out sucks on the ground or anything like that, hes strong and hes got the basics down sure. Ive went back and watched anything I could find, its just Kos is a whole other level than anything hes faced grappling wise, Shields is good but Kos wrestling is top tier with just a small handful of guys that are sharper in the world as far as mma applicable wrestling. That being said Kos has really fallen in love with throwin hands and that seems like a bad idea, not that hes not got hands but he doesnt need to gamble too much with this guy. I think he will smarten up on this one.

If he can KO Koscheck then I think he'll gain a decent fanbase from it. I also think he's playing a very clever game here. The more he says "I'm gonna knock Koscheck out"' date=' the more Kos is gonna wanna stand with him, and the more likely it is that we'll see Koscheck knocked out.

I've liked Daley since the Cage Warriors days because of his fighting style. I think his personality has sometimes been questionable, but no worse than most of the other big strikers in the UFC. Definitely looking forward to this fight.[/quote']

+1

I think Hardy is trying to do the same thing with GSP bc he realizes that stand up might be the only part he might beat GSP in, but he is sadly mistaken.

As for this fight i see either at (T)KO for Daley in round 1 or a Sub or GnP for KOS in round 2-3

i'm not trying to say daley doesn't have good stand up but it sounds like he's trying to claim that by beating hazelett it proves he has good ground game, i'm not syaing he doesn't have a good ground game either but he's saying like, i beat a jiu jitsu guy, i beat an good all rounder, now i wanna beat a good wrestles so i can prove that part of my game too, and like, so what if he ko'ed hazelett, doesn't really prove much since he obviously had a lot better stand up then hazelett from the start and the fight never had a chance to go to the ground, and yeah if he fights kos he definitely has a chance of winning, especially if kos tries to stand with him, and if daley ko's kos straight away before kos has a chance to do any wrestling it doesn't prove daley has good wrestling, so i think before he gets a title shot he should at least be tested in another area besides stand up, unless he destroys the division, cause if he just gets thrown in with gsp, that dude will take him down and kill him.

i dont know who i hate more' date=' koscheck or daley. but ive been wanting to see kos get KOed for a while now so im hoping daley finishes him. i dont think either deserves a title shot yet, regardless of who wins this fight, until the winner fights either fitch or alves[/quote']

i wouldn't mind seeing thiago alves put a beating on him again.

Daley only needs to hit him with one left and it's over. Kos will want to prove that he can beat Daley at his own game and will try and stand with him' date=' get knocked out and spend the next few weeks complaining about the stoppage a la Paulo Thiago.[/quote']

likely an accurate prediction.

I'm sure the haters will pick him apart for this but I like Daley more and more every time he does an interview. He has a fighters attitude for sure. And everything he said is pretty much true. I don't really understand the fascination with Koschek people have. He is a tool and basically loses every third fight or so. Other than GSP Kos hasn't faced any stiffer competition Than Daley' date=' And Daley is almost twice as experienced. You don't go 30something fights with 23 wins while having "no ground game" or "no takedown defense". Too many people see 2 Daley fights in the UFC and since he showcased only striking they assume that is all he's got.

I also didn't realize that he has some truly top notch guys to train with. Definitely a big advantage. You don't think that he has picked up some things working with a 40 lb heavier King MO that he could use against any wrestler his size?

Instead of letting nationalistic and irrational hate cloud your judgement, He is the real deal and I believe will have the largest impact of any Brit in the UFC.[/quote']

Koscheck will still be the best wrestler that Daley has faced this far. Koscheck is a 4 time all-american in college with a record of 42-0 in 2001. Koscheck has also knocked Hazelett out, maybe not in such devastating fashion, but it was a good head kick. And he has also fought GSP, Thiago Alves <-- The two best guys in the division, and he is also sparring with Jon Fitch, Mike swick on a everyday basis.

Koscheck has been wrestling for 25 years, do you think Daley could close that gap by going on ONE training camp?

Koscheck will still be the best wrestler that Daley has faced this far. Koscheck is a 4 time all-american in college with a record of 42-0 in 2001. Koscheck has also knocked Hazelett out' date=' maybe not in such devastating fashion, but it was a good head kick. And he has also fought GSP, Thiago Alves <-- The two best guys in the division, and he is also sparring with Jon Fitch, Mike swick on a everyday basis.

Koscheck has been wrestling for 25 years, do you think Daley could close that gap by going on ONE training camp?[/quote']

dustin did almost ko koscheck at the beginning of the match, though. that was a very good fight.

Koscheck will still be the best wrestler that Daley has faced this far. Koscheck is a 4 time all-american in college with a record of 42-0 in 2001. Koscheck has also knocked Hazelett out' date=' maybe not in such devastating fashion, but it was a good head kick. And he has also fought GSP, Thiago Alves <-- The two best guys in the division, and he is also sparring with Jon Fitch, Mike swick on a everyday basis.

Koscheck has been wrestling for 25 years, [b']do you think Daley could close that gap by going on ONE training camp[/b]?

He doesn't have to. Stuff one takedown and drop bombs and Kos' "great wrestling" means nothing.

Look at Chuck lidell. He wrestled some in high school before he found Ken-po and kickboxing. Not Div. 1 All American, no state, national championship, no real wrestling pedigree to speak of. But all he ever needed was defense anyway. Couture, Babalu, Randelmann, plenty of guys he fought were light years ahead of him in wrestling. But, as gets said here soo many times by wrestling-philes, this is MIXED martial arts. Not a wrestling match. Daley has the skill and power to stuff one takedown and drop Koscheck like a bad habit. Kimbo could be taught to sprawl. Kongo could be taught to sprawl, the sprawl is the first taught and most widely used technique in wrestling. Nothing about it makes it so difficult to learn. If you have a guy who is a natural fighter and he works with a decent wrestler for a few weeks, a sprawl is easy to learn.

And I have seen a few of his pre UFC fights. Sure he has lost on the ground, but just as many times he has escaped the ground, got back to his feet, and won by KO.

I do in all honestly come from the position of thinking Kos is a big dooshy-boy, His hair, fighting style, and personality makes me think he is the love child of Hughes and some sheep in Iowa. Plus I think he is the top of the second tier in the WW division, and his performances have shown that. But eliminate nationalistic and personal feelings from both sides and to say Koscheck wins in a walk is a little silly. He has a good chance to score a TD or two, a slight chance for a GnP victory, though I don't think it is much of a chance, and a slightly bigger chance for a decision. But in my eyes, based solely on the skills both have shown in their past fights, I think a Daley KO victory is most likely.

I think Daley will win if he goes against Kos. Kos has good takedowns, but Daley is alot bigger then he is, or probably even bigger the Alves is, which is saying alot.

I'd LOVE to see him versus Alves. IMHO, that would be the fight of the year.

Daley, you made me a fan if you are reading this.

Oh, and Daley, if Nate Diaz moves to Welterweight, please knock him out for all of us. :D

Yeah, because making fun of Koscheck's hair really makes Daley a better man or fighter. I didn't know that UFC was having a hair contest or a hair war. If they are my vote is being cast for Diego Sanchez before he cut his hair of course. Wasn't Daley the fighter who had to apologize because of his behavior at one of his last fights?

Yeah' date=' because making fun of Koscheck's hair really makes Daley a better man or fighter. I didn't know that UFC was having a hair contest or a hair war. If they are my vote is being cast for Diego Sanchez before he cut his hair of course. Wasn't Daley the fighter who had to apologize because of his behavior at one of his last fights?[/quote']

Daley did apologise for his actions after the Hazelett fight. Now think about every fighter with a similar style of post fight celebration (Tito Ortiz, Kendall Grove, BJ Penn, Thiago Silva, Brock Lesnar at 100) and realise that at least Daley did apologise.

Daley did apologise for his actions after the Hazelett fight. Now think about every fighter with a similar style of post fight celebration (Tito Ortiz' date=' Kendall Grove, BJ Penn, Thiago Silva, Brock Lesnar at 100) and realise that at least Daley did apologise.[/quote']

Oh, I'm not saying anything about his apologizing or not, I couldn't remember if it was him or someone else. And you're right a lot of fighters don't apologize. I just don't know what the big deal is about Koscheck's hair. Seems silly to me, that's all.

Oh' date=' I'm not saying anything about his apologizing or not, I couldn't remember if it was him or someone else. And you're right a lot of fighters don't apologize. I just don't know what the big deal is about Koscheck's hair. Seems silly to me, that's all.[/quote']

I can exclusively reveal, but don't tell anyone, us Brits aren't very good at trash talk in general.

Archived