Hendo, Sanchez, Jones win ESPN/MMA Live awards

freedom

http://fightmarks.com/story.php?title=hendo-sanchez-jones-win-espnmma-live-awards

Dan Henderson?s knockout win over Michael Bisping was voted KO of the Year in the World Mixed Martial Arts Awards recently and the performance earned him another plaudit last night when ESPN show MMA Live handed out its gongs for 2009.

As with the World MMA Awards, the ESPN/MMA Live award was voted for by fans and Henderson was the clear winner in the shortlist of five. The fight took place at UFC 100 and was the climax to a season as rival coaches on TUF 9.

I still don't see that KO as that big of a deal. Hendo has been a world class fighter for longer than the sport has even existed as an organized sport in the UK. Bisping was an obviously subpar opponent to Henderson.

In fact the KO was more attributable to Bisping's mistake than to anything Hendo did spectacularly.

People put stock in it because it was flashy and some "fans" got a bit of a thrill when Hendo dropped the unnecessary forearm on the unconscious man "for good measure" (which to me violates everything that competitive athletics is supposed to represent), but to me at least, in the big picture, it was insignificant.

Silva over Forrest, Marquadt/Maia, were both more significant and those two along with Duffe/Hague were more spectacular.

Hendo won that on fan sentiment over other issues rather than the merit of the KO.

i guess the ufc loses out because dan henderson signed a three month 3 fight contract with strikeforce' date=' hopefully he gets his title shot in the ufc again[/quote']

Yeah they lost out on a guy that will never hold UFC gold again but got hyped up for KOing a second rate big mouth.

I still don't see that KO as that big of a deal. Hendo has been a world class fighter for longer than the sport has even existed as an organized sport in the UK. Bisping was an obviously subpar opponent to Henderson.

In fact the KO was more attributable to Bisping's mistake than to anything Hendo did spectacularly.

People put stock in it because it was flashy and some "fans" got a bit of a thrill when Hendo dropped the unnecessary forearm on the unconscious man "for good measure" (which to me violates everything that competitive athletics is supposed to represent)' date=' but to me at least, in the big picture, it was insignificant.

Silva over Forrest, Marquadt/Maia, were both more significant and those two along with Duffe/Hague were more spectacular.

Hendo won that on fan sentiment over other issues rather than the merit of the KO.[/quote']

I liked it

People put stock in it because it was flashy and some "fans" got a bit of a thrill when Hendo dropped the unnecessary forearm on the unconscious man "for good measure" (which to me violates everything that competitive athletics is supposed to represent)' date=' but to me at least, in the big picture, it was insignificant.

Hendo won that on fan sentiment over other issues rather than the merit of the KO.[/quote']

How was Duffee/Hague or Marquardt/Maia significant?

How was Duffee/Hague or Marquardt/Maia significant?

Maia/Marquadt was more significant since it had direct repurcussions on the MW division rankings. Some will argue that so did Bisping/Hendo but all it did was remove a guy who shouldn't have been there to begin with.

And I said Duffee/Hague was more spectacular, not more significant.

IMO of course....

Now your saying to me , after all the "crap talk" that bisping did, that were you in Hendo's shoes, you wouldnt have been that aggressive and given a little extra, cmon he put up with 6 weeks of crap from this guy, "your too old, your a loser, etc etc" it went on and on, and I think Dan just let it pent up and he let loose , like any normal human woulda done.

I almost agree with you on the Marquardt/Maia KO. It was pretty spectacular. Mid air KO. Kinda reminded me of the Fedor/Arlovski KO.

Now your saying to me ' date=' after all the "crap talk" that bisping did, that were you in Hendo's shoes, you wouldnt have been that aggressive and given a little extra, cmon he put up with 6 weeks of crap from this guy, "your too old, your a loser, etc etc" it went on and on, and I think Dan just let it pent up and he let loose , like any normal human woulda done.[/quote']

And in doing so made himself look like an unprofessional thug. You see all the time, supposedly "lesser" and less experienced fighters are able to recognize their opponent is unconscious and stop from delivering more unnecessary punisment. As a veteran of several years he should have been better than that. A one punch KO, then standing over the vanquished and declaring his mastery would have been a much more effective statement. Instead he chose to lower himself to the level of vengeful thug, pouncing on an unconscious and defenseless man just to satisfy some sick sense of "payback". Which is a violation of everything martial arts is supposeed to represent, along with completely unprofessional. That thug mentality is exactly the misperception those who love this sport have been battling for years concerning MMA fighters.

Archived