Gracie, MMA and the UFC.

Carica1406052318

A few days ago, there was a thread bad mouthing Rickson Gracie on this forum. I understand not everybody has followed Vale Tudo or MMA since the beginning but we cannot disrespect the past.

Rickson is now probably over 50 years old and of course would not be able to compete in the UFC nowadays, but when he was on his prime and Vale Tudo was just a baby he was the Best fighter in the world.

I think all MMA and UFC fans should know that MMA was created thanks to Rickson and to all Gracies.

The Gracies went out on a quest to prove that BJJ was the best martial arts out there, and during this process MMA was born.

The UFC was founded by a Gracie and bought out by the Fertita brothers and Dana. It is true that the UFC was really small and was pretty much broken but still it exists thanks to the Gracie family.

It is really exciting to have a Gracie back in the UFC. It is to bad that Roles is not fighting in the main card at UFC 109. I really hope they show the fight on PPV.

Gracie Jiujitsu was created because of Vale Tudo, not the other way round. Vale Tudo has been held in Brazil since the early parts of the 20th century. Gracie Jiu jitsu was created in order to give smaller men a way to compete in Vale Tudo.

And contrary to some beliefs, the Gracies did not invent BJJ, they perfected their own style and techniques and created Gracie jiujitsu, but jiujitsu itself was already prominent in Brazil before.

Gracie Jiujitsu was created because of Vale Tudo' date=' not the other way round. Vale Tudo has been held in Brazil since the early parts of the 20th century. Gracie Jiu jitsu was created in order to give smaller men a way to compete in Vale Tudo.

And contrary to some beliefs, the Gracies did not invent BJJ, they perfected their own style and techniques and created Gracie jiujitsu, but jiujitsu itself was already prominent in Brazil before.[/quote']

< - Truth - >

Really. Come on guys. What was MMA before the UFC? A few small shows in Brazil and Japan? What was MMA before the Gracies?

No actually they were huge events in both Japan and Brazil, second in Brazil only to world cup soccer.

Fighting has always been huge in Japan. Fighters from many disciplines are treated like rock stars over there. Why do you think that during PRIDE's heyday all the best fighters in the world went there to fight? Because the events were a nationwide phenomenon and that was where the money was.

Look I have nothing but respect for the Gracie family. Gracie jiujitsu is singularly one of the most effective fighting systems on the planet and it was the Gracie family that brought the first UFC to the states. But to say that MMA wouldn't exist without them or the UFC is just factually incorrect seeing as it did exist before even Gracie jiujitsu existed. They helped popularize and make it mainstream in the US. but MMA existed and even flourished long before them or the UFC, and would have continued to exist and flourish outside of the US without them.

Gracies are very overrated and so is BJJ no offense' date=' I respect them but they are not gods and MMA would of existed without them.[/quote']

i have to disagree on that,gracies showed both ufc and pride the potential of JJ.i'm pretty sure that you've watched royce fight in the first 3 ufc events.he submitted bigger guys,shamrock,severn and kimo.this family showed that there fighting style can be effective no matter what weight or height advantage your opponent got.

So' date=' you are telling me that in the 80 or 90s Vale Tudo was huge in Brazil, second only to the world cup. I tell you that maybe 10% of the population knew what Valeu Tudo was in Brazil in the early 90s.

Vale Tudo got huge in Brazil after Royce fought in the UFC and Rickson fougth in Japan.[/quote']

And you get this info from where? Every account I have ever read, along with the videos I saw in the early 90's, before the UFC existed, say otherwise.

Gracies are very overrated and so is BJJ no offense' date=' I respect them but they are not gods and MMA would of existed without them.[/quote']

BJJ is overrated?

Did you REALLY just say that on an MMA forum? You are aware that without any BJJ knowledge, it is extremely rare to go far in MMA? BJJ is practically a necessity in MMA.

bjj is overrated? your a joke. 4 champions in the ufc are bjj blackbelts and rely on bjj to prevent subs, transitioning, and atempting subs. if you don't know how to do any of those moves, your mma career would be f'ed

Gracie Jiujitsu was created because of Vale Tudo' date=' not the other way round. Vale Tudo has been held in Brazil since the early parts of the 20th century. Gracie Jiu jitsu was created in order to give smaller men a way to compete in Vale Tudo.

And contrary to some beliefs, the Gracies did not invent BJJ, they perfected their own style and techniques and created Gracie jiujitsu, but jiujitsu itself was already prominent in Brazil before.[/quote']

The first Vale tudo which translates too everything is allowed was started by the Gracies. Carlos Gracie learned japanese Jiujitsu from Maeda a Japanese Jiujitsu champion. Carlos taught his younger brothers japanese jiujitsu, Helio(Royce's father)whom was the youngest out of the five and was the one that added the leverage and other techniques to the art. The Gracie/Brazilian Jiujitsu is the same thing, The reason Helios lineage calls it Gracie Jiujitsu is because they focus more on the self defense aspect of the art and don't believe that because your tapping people out in tournaments that your deserving of a black belt. Gracie Jiujitsu started in 1915 way before Royce, Rickson, Renzo, Royler....... When they were born their were already black belts non Gracies that recieved their belts from Carlos, and Helio. So those Brazilians also opened up schools elsewhere and called it Brazilian Jiujitsu.

MMA would've existed without them? yeah right!!! Anybody that doesn't train BJJ in UFC today would get destroyed within seconds. The Gracies showed the world what real fighting looks like. BJJ is the most affective martial art Royce proved it. How boring would todays fights be if Royce would've never carried the cross

A few days ago' date=' there was a thread bad mouthing Rickson Gracie on this forum. I understand not everybody has followed Vale Tudo or MMA since the beginning but we cannot disrespect the past.

Rickson is now probably over 50 years old and of course would not be able to compete in the UFC nowadays, but when he was on his prime and Vale Tudo was just a baby he was the Best fighter in the world.

I think all MMA and UFC fans should know that MMA was created thanks to Rickson and to all Gracies.

The Gracies went out on a quest to prove that BJJ was the best martial arts out there, and during this process MMA was born.

The UFC was founded by a Gracie and bought out by the Fertita brothers and Dana. It is true that the UFC was really small and was pretty much broken but still it exists thanks to the Gracie family.

It is really exciting to have a Gracie back in the UFC. It is to bad that Roles is not fighting in the main card at UFC 109. I really hope they show the fight on PPV.[/quote']

he had 6 real fights... even his father laughed at him and called him a crock saying he had over 400 fights and never lost... Rickson is one of the best technical BJJ guys out there but hes also a laughing stock when he comes to talking about "his fights"

BJJ is an excelent addition to any MMA style, its no more important than your striking or your wrestling, with out any of these things your gonna loose. I think its funny how BJJ is the best in the world however they didnt invent any strikes they didnt invent any kicks, they just use other stand up styles to get in close, and then wrestle a little and use the BJJ, thats like several things that they didnt invent and would be useless without. Ask maia about it.

ANd i would like to add that ALL BJJ MMA fighters that won, and used a GI should have there win removed, they cheated, Royce used his gi to beat a whole bunch of uneducated people. Hes a bad dude for sure, but it wasnt fair and i cant help but notice without his gi he would have lost half his fights , probaly. Now no gi BJJ is awesome, but it still uses other styles strikes and takedowns and wrestling. If you think nobody would be any good in the UFC without jits training then i add that without some wrestling and striking your also not going to go very far in the UFC/MMA world.

That wasnt MMA. That was Pankration.

the term MMA did not exist until 2 year AFTER the UFC started...

go look up Pancration and see what it entailed... if striking grappling chicks and submissions all combined into one is not what is going on in MMA right now i do not know what it... Pancration was basically a fight between 2 guys the only major rule was no killing...

Just because it was called by a differnt name does not mean is not not what we call MMA today... in 1993 when Pancrase (the fighting promotion) came out it was not called MMA it was refered to as NHB that does not mean it was not MMA as we know it today

Archived