Convincing a Boxing Guy?

CaptainSuperman

So today at work, I was talking with my friend about MMA and boxing. He is Puerto Rican and boxes himself, and said he had no respect for MMA, saying that boxing is about honor, and that when two great boxers are fighting, it's like a true art form. I was trying to convince him that MMA is a great sport, and told him about fighters like Liddell, Couture, A. Silva, BJ, GSP, Fedor, Rampage, ect. He said the only fighter he liked was Griffin, and the bes fight he ever saw was Griffin vs Rampage. Simply, he said he didn't like the ground game pretty much. He said something along the lines of 'a guy falls by himself and starts kicking around and crying'.

So I was thinking of fights to tell him to watch to see what MMA is about. I was thinking of fights that I think he, the boxer, would like. I was thinking of guys like Swick and Marcus Davis, but realized I'm just showing him boxing/striking guys, but in MMA. I just think that someone like him is too ignorant to really see the art in MMA, or rather wrestling and BJJ and other grappling.

Anyway, I'm just ranting on about something that kinda bugged me today, how people can only think of a fight as a standing fight. But anyway, what fights would you try to show this guy to show him what MMA is about, and convince him it's a great sport?

I was thinking of fights with GSP, BJ, A. Silva, Fedor, but realized most of them are one sided,and that would probably not be best. I think these are great for people who want to see finishes, and for people who already appreciate the sport. I got around to it, and thought the best MMA showcase fights, to me, are in the lighter divisions. That, or in Pride. :P. Most of the guys I thought I should really have him watch were Wandy, Big Nog, Lytle, the Sell/Smith fight, Faber, Cro Crop,ect.

Anyway, your thoughts?

On a serious note though...I was originally a boxing fan (on TV only) and did wrestling myself and that is the part that got me into MMA not the striking side of things, the average boxer is still miles ahead of the average MMA fighter in striking ability. So I think to make the conversion you have to MMA you have to like more than just boxing as a sport because the boxing in MMA is poor in comparison. Maybe get him into K-1 first, since that is kind of more appealing to a boxing fan then eventually into the grappling side of things later on.

Fedor's fights against Randleman, Choi and Arlovski are good ones.

Maybe some classic Big Nog stuff.

If you can find a few Cro Cop head kick KO's, show him those. Then, show him getting Gonzaga'd! :P

A few Demian Maia fights. He's got CRAZY submissions, and there's no way you can be bored with his ground game. The one against Sonnen is really good.

Anderson VS Forrest is a good one to show, as it shows just how good Silva's striking is. If he's a boxer, he'll appreciate it.

Lyoto VS Rashad, Scott Smith VS Pete Sell, Rashad VS Chuck, Lesnar VS Mir 1 and 2...

I could go on forever. lol

So today at work' date=' I was talking with my friend about MMA and boxing. He is Puerto Rican and boxes himself, and said he had no respect for MMA, saying that boxing is about honor, and that when two great boxers are fighting, it's like a true art form. I was trying to convince him that MMA is a great sport, and told him about fighters like Liddell, Couture, A. Silva, BJ, GSP, Fedor, Rampage, ect. He said the only fighter he liked was Griffin, and the bes fight he ever saw was Griffin vs Rampage. Simply, he said he didn't like the ground game pretty much. He said something along the lines of 'a guy falls by himself and starts kicking around and crying'.

So I was thinking of fights to tell him to watch to see what MMA is about. I was thinking of fights that I think he, the boxer, would like. I was thinking of guys like Swick and Marcus Davis, but realized I'm just showing him boxing/striking guys, but in MMA. I just think that someone like him is too ignorant to really see the art in MMA, or rather wrestling and BJJ and other grappling.

Anyway, I'm just ranting on about something that kinda bugged me today, how people can only think of a fight as a standing fight. But anyway, what fights would you try to show this guy to show him what MMA is about, and convince him it's a great sport?

I was thinking of fights with GSP, BJ, A. Silva, Fedor, but realized most of them are one sided,and that would probably not be best. I think these are great for people who want to see finishes, and for people who already appreciate the sport. I got around to it, and thought the best MMA showcase fights, to me, are in the lighter divisions. That, or in Pride. :P. Most of the guys I thought I should really have him watch were Wandy, Big Nog, Lytle, the Sell/Smith fight, Faber, Cro Crop,ect.

Anyway, your thoughts?[/quote']

I have a boxer friend, there's no convincing some people. Stuck in their boxing ways.

Yes, kinda my point exactly. I was just wondering about peoples personal opinions about the fights people would consider. I mean, I think you have to appreciate BJJ and the work and transitions to enjoy Damian Maia. I don't know, just kinda wanted to tell people about this, not really a point to all of this. Whatever though. I think a lot of the WEC fights would be great to show too, I don't think they get the praise they deserve.

Ben Henderson vs Donald Cerronewould be a great fight to show your friend because it has a little bit of everything in it. Stand up' date=' GnP, Submission attempts, etc[/quote']

Definitely. I'll come straight out and say it, I haven't been watching MMA since the beginning, and I won't try to convince anyone I know everything about it. But if he doesn't see the heart of these fighters watching this fight... you won't convince him, maybe if you get someone to put him in one of those submission positions and tell him to try and get out of it, he will appreciate it a little more. I agree with the previous statement, some will never admit to liking it, even if they do just a little inside. Too much pride. It's like trying to convince a Kobe hater how good he is. (I know he is freaking good, but you'll never hear me say I like him) ;) I'm from the old school, MJ greatest of all time. An era where they played real defence. I'm sure you find someone older then me, they might bring up other names. But again, I've been watching MMA for about two years now, and I haven't really seen a fight I haven't enjoyed, and from the fights I've seen on youtube, I enjoy those aswell. Actually there is one fight I remember not enjoying, Diaz vs Guida. Maybe I have to re-watch that one. Cause I really enjoy the ground game, but for some reason, I remember really not liking that one. Have a good one guys!

Personally I like Boxing better thatn MMA. I've been watching boxing since i was a boy and only been into MMA for about 2 years so im relatively new also. But you should show him the bonner vs griffin, and the sanches vs diaz or the machida vs sokaju (however u spell it) and the penn vs stevenson. Both Machida and Penn beat their oponent standing up, then GNP, then submitted them.

I think boxing has gone down because of the gambling. My favorite boxer was Ricardo "el finito" Lopez".

Definitely. I'll come straight out and say it' date=' I haven't been watching MMA since the beginning, and I won't try to convince anyone I know everything about it. But if he doesn't see the heart of these fighters watching this fight... you won't convince him, maybe if you get someone to put him in one of those submission positions and tell him to try and get out of it, he will appreciate it a little more. I agree with the previous statement, some will never admit to liking it, even if they do just a little inside. Too much pride. It's like trying to convince a Kobe hater how good he is. (I know he is freaking good, but you'll never hear me say I like him) ;) I'm from the old school, MJ greatest of all time. An era where they played real defence. I'm sure you find someone older then me, they might bring up other names. But again, I've been watching MMA for about two years now, and I haven't really seen a fight I haven't enjoyed, and from the fights I've seen on youtube, I enjoy those aswell. Actually there is one fight I remember not enjoying, Diaz vs Guida. Maybe I have to re-watch that one. Cause I really enjoy the ground game, but for some reason, I remember really not liking that one. Have a good one guys![/quote']

I totally agree with you on not enjoying the Diaz vs Guida, i thought it was very boring.

I have a boxer friend' date=' there's no convincing some people. Stuck in their boxing ways.[/quote']

this!! It's like they just don't want to think there are any other combat sports. Boxing is honorable and a science but, everything else takes no skill and mma = bar fights....etc...

If your friend is anything like the boxing fans I have met, there is nothing you can say.

And where do people get the idea that boxing is honorable anyways?? Interviews with Floyd Mayweather suggest otherwise and boxing in general seems to have a reputation for corruption.

I don't get it.

this!! It's like they just don't want to think there are any other combat sports. Boxing is honorable and a science but' date=' everything else takes no skill and mma = bar fights....etc...

If your friend is anything like the boxing fans I have met, there is nothing you can say.

And where do people get the idea that boxing is honorable anyways?? Interviews with Floyd Mayweather suggest otherwise and boxing in general seems to have a reputation for corruption.

I don't get it.[/quote']

Same goes for MMA fans. However I must admit boxing fans complain a lot less and get along with each other better.

Same goes for MMA fans. However I must admit boxing fans complain a lot less and get along with each other better.

Howso? I have never heard an mma fan say boxing takes no skill. As far as complaining goes, I think fans of anything whine a lot. From video games to pop music, it's the fans that complain.

Well he says he respects that I like it, and respects Forrest Griffin cause he will stand and fight with anyone. I said something along the lines that MMA is sorta like a street fight, and he said 'exactly, wheres the honor in that, you can get kicked and stuff'. I don't understand where any honor comes from for either sport. Wheres the honor in saying you're better than than someone, while limiting yourself to only punches, and with giant padded gloves? Hasn't there been more deaths in boxing than MMA? Where's the honor in killing a guy?

Really, there both just competition, sports. No such honor in either, except for among your piers, if you can say your better than them at what you're doing. Yeah, boxing may seem more technical at what it's doing, but that's only cause it limits what you can do, and have to be very skillful. With MMA, you can just surpass someones skill easily if they aren't as skilled as you in certain areas.

Howso? I have never heard an mma fan say boxing takes no skill. As far as complaining goes' date=' I think fans of anything whine a lot. From video games to pop music, it's the fans that complain.[/quote']

I've never heard anyone say that it takes no skill, but I have heard a lot of MMA fans throw out a whole lot of ignorant stuff about boxing before, though I would say there's a roughly equal amount of complaining going on; stupid MMA fans talk about how boxing only has one aspect and how it's so much more boring than MMA is(I'd like to see anyone that would pick watching GSP vs Thiago Alves over watching Gatti vs Ward), and then stupid boxing fans who talk about how MMA is just brutal human ****fighting and not a true test of skill.

The truth is some people just don't have a real level of interest in one or the other, it doesn't quite appeal to them. Whenever I hear one or the other going on I'm always a little confused because I'm personally a big fan of both mixed martial arts and boxing, but I understand some people have a hard time getting into one or the other and just don't develop much of an informed opinion on it(rarely have I met someone who clearly knows what they're talking about AND is trashing one of the two sports). I think it's very difficult to make a fan out of someone who's already decided for whatever reason that they don't respect the sport and don't really want to give it a try.

As for fights that show what MMA is all about, my personal favorites that show off a whole lot were Minotauro Nogueira vs Heath Herring(the first time over in Pride) and Forrest Griffin vs Rampage Jackson.

Well he says he respects that I like it' date=' and respects Forrest Griffin cause he will stand and fight with anyone. I said something along the lines that MMA is sorta like a street fight, and he said 'exactly, wheres the honor in that, you can get kicked and stuff'. I don't understand where any honor comes from for either sport. Wheres the honor in saying you're better than than someone, while limiting yourself to only punches, and with giant padded gloves? Hasn't there been more deaths in boxing than MMA? Where's the honor in killing a guy?

Really, there both just competition, sports. No such honor in either, except for among your piers, if you can say your better than them at what you're doing. Yeah, boxing may seem more technical at what it's doing, but that's only cause it limits what you can do, and have to be very skillful. With MMA, you can just surpass someones skill easily if they aren't as skilled as you in certain areas.[/quote']There is lots of honor in boxing, someone like Floyd Mayweather Jr would get away with what he does if he was in MMA. In boxing people want to constantly fight the best at many different weight classes to create their own legacy and if they don't they get an extremely bad reputation.

Dieing can happen in anything to do with life so thats irrelevant, not like there are deaths everyday...

You can also control the fight in boxing with different styles, reach, size, speed, power etc. In MMA if you corner someone into the ropes and explode on them to a point where they can't fight back they can simply just hold onto you or take you down. In boxing when that happens, you either have to beat your opponent out of that position or hit the floor. If you like Anderson Silva then there is absolutely no reason you should hate boxing, plenty of guys do it way better over there.

Both sports are entirely different other than the fact that they are both labeled as combat sports. No one is forced to like any sport just like no one is forced to support any fighter, it all comes down to personal taste.

Yes' date=' kinda my point exactly. I was just wondering about peoples personal opinions about the fights people would consider. I mean, [b']I think you have to appreciate BJJ and the work and transitions to enjoy Damian Maia[/b]. I don't know, just kinda wanted to tell people about this, not really a point to all of this. Whatever though. I think a lot of the WEC fights would be great to show too, I don't think they get the praise they deserve.

When I mentioned Maia, I was thinking more along the lines of how quickly he can sub someone.

What he did to Sonnen was a work of ART! Even a boxing fan would have to appreciate that finish.

I work with people that think the UFC is all scripted like pro wrestling is. They always talk about it as "the supposed real fights...". I just have to walk away from them. I have invited a few to come train with me anytime they want and see what it really is, but they seem to be comfortable in their ignorant little worlds.

I work with people that think the UFC is all scripted like pro wrestling is. They always talk about it as "the supposed real fights...". I just have to walk away from them. I have invited a few to come train with me anytime they want and see what it really is' date=' but they seem to be comfortable in their ignorant little worlds.[/quote']

Just give them one.. solid.. leg kick!

Muwahahahahaha!!

I work with people that think the UFC is all scripted like pro wrestling is. They always talk about it as "the supposed real fights...". I just have to walk away from them. I have invited a few to come train with me anytime they want and see what it really is' date=' but they seem to be comfortable in their ignorant little worlds.[/quote']

Ask the retards if olympics is real and tell me what they say, I want to laugh at them =)

Im a former boxer myself and the one that really got me into MMA was the Marco Ruas vs Varlens fight. Ive seen live Muay Thai fights in Thailand before so I have respect for MT but Ruas also had grappling and BJJ although he didnt use it that much, he used enough to show me, who was non-knowledgeable of grappling at that time, enough to get a feel of the importance of grappling.

Archived