Why do referees interfere when a fighter is getting up?

Coltrane

Sometimes while watching MMA fight's, I have noticed that sometimes when a fighter lets a fighter up from the ground, the referee steps in between the two fighters and puts his palm to the fighter on his feel as the fighter on the ground stands up. Other times, the referee does nothing while the fighter stands up. Can anyone tell clarify why referee's do that? I would imagine that a fighter is vulnerable while getting to his feet and a perfect time for an opponent to strike.

Thank you for your posts.

I've been wondering this too, could someone please explain. Do they have to step between anytime a fighter gets up? I know they have to step if they(the ref) tell the fighter to get up because he wants to just wait there(Silva vs Leithes). But do they have to step in the middle if 1 fighter is waiting and the other is clearly going to get up? Because I have seen fight where they do and fights where they don't.

I thought you'd have talked about a more intelligent subject "Why do referee stop fights when the fighter is trying to survive by standing up?"

There are often fights involved which fighter aren't intelligently defending themselves but are still 100% conscious and trying to survive from the beating but the referee still steps in.. Meanwhile fighters that are defending themselves intelligently trying to properly get of the beating by standing up or moving out of the way, the referee stills steps in.

There are fights that become bloody and messy and the referee doesn't step in to save the poor guy from having brain damage. While the guy that got rocked a little and trying to recover is stopped by the referee..

Herb gave a perfect example on how not to stop in while a fighting is desperately trying to survive the beating. However he gave a wrong example on the JDS fight..

Referee stoppages will never make sense whatsoever unless the fighter ends up like bisping!

I thought you'd have talked about a more intelligent subject "Why do referee stop fights when the fighter is trying to survive by standing up?"

There are often fights involved which fighter aren't intelligently defending themselves but are still 100% conscious and trying to survive from the beating but the referee still steps in.. Meanwhile fighters that are covering themselves trying to properly get of the beating by standing up or moving out of the way' date=' the referee stills steps in.

There are fights that become bloody and messy and the referee doesn't step in to save the poor guy from having brain damage. While the guy that got rocked a little and trying to recover is stopped by the referee..

Herb gave a perfect example on how not to stop in while a fighting is desperately trying to survive the beating. However he gave a wrong example on the JDS fight[/quote']

Your question is easily answered. It's because "Not defending yourself in an intelligent manner." has never been defined. Whenever a ref thinks he's right, well he is. Most MMA fans will say Rothwell vs Cain was stopped early, Stevie said otherwise. Both are right, because the definition used to stop fights is so vague.

Your question is easily answered. It's because "Not defending yourself in an intelligent manner." has never been defined. Whenever a ref thinks he's right' date=' well he is. Most MMA fans will say Rothwell vs Cain was stopped early, Stevie said otherwise. Both are right, because the definition used to stop fights is so vague.[/quote']

Yep this is right, each have their own opinion as to when a fighter is finished and most of the time they are just saving them from a bit of a beating even if most people think the stoppage was early.

Yep this is right' date=' each have their own opinion as to when a fighter is finished and most of the time they are just saving them from a bit of a beating even if most people think the stoppage was early.[/quote']

What I am saying is that since the definition used for stopping a fight is so vague, it's all about what people's opinion are. A fight may be stopped early to you and just fine to others.

But can someone answer the original question because I am getting curious now? :P

the referee steps in between the two fighters and puts his palm to the fighter on his feel as the fighter on the ground stands up.

But can someone answer the original question because I am getting curious now?

The problem is, I don't understand the question. What's "on his feel"?

I think when another fighter steps back and lets the other fighter up he is telling the ref he is not going to go to the ground, so instead of waiting for a No action, stand them up, the ref steps in between them and lets the downed fighter to stand up like he would if there was a no action on the ground.

Is it a rule the ref has to step in between I do not know, but they always do from what I can remember.

There are often fights involved which fighter aren't intelligently defending themselves but are still 100% conscious and trying to survive from the beating but the referee still steps in.. Meanwhile fighters that are defending themselves intelligently trying to properly get of the beating by standing up or moving out of the way' date=' the referee stills steps in.

Herb gave a perfect example on how not to stop in while a fighting is desperately trying to survive the beating. However he gave a wrong example on the JDS fight..

Referee stoppages will never make sense whatsoever unless the fighter ends up like bisping![/quote']

Amir Sadollah is a perfect example of this. Against Hendricks when he was on the ground. He let his guard down so that he could use his hands to help him get up and the ref stops the fight.

I'm a big Amir fan so I was gutted about that stoppage.

I think when another fighter steps back and lets the other fighter up he is telling the ref he is not going to go to the ground' date=' so instead of waiting for a No action, stand them up, the ref steps in between them and lets the downed fighter to stand up like he would if there was a no action on the ground.

Is it a rule the ref has to step in between I do not know, but they always do from what I can remember.[/quote']

This is correct. It is either because there is no action, or that the standing fighter indicated for the other to stand up.

• 7 months later...
If the fighter is standing and motions for the fighter on the ground to stand' date=' the ref will step in and make sure the standing fighter doesn't[b'] sucker punch[/b] the other guy. If my memory is correct this is the only way the ref makes sure the fighter gets up, unimpeded

Thats not a sucker punch, if the other fighter doesn't stand up properly and gets knocked out then its their fault they got hit.

If the fighter is standing and motions for the fighter on the ground to stand' date=' the ref will step in and make sure the standing fighter doesn't sucker punch the other guy. If my memory is correct this is the only way the ref makes sure the fighter gets up, unimpeded[/quote']

Exactly, When a fighter is wanting the the grounded fighter to get up the Ref will step in to make teh fighter get up as well as prevent the standing fighter to stike while the fighter is in a vulnerable position.

When the ref doesnt step in it is during the period of time where a standing fighter hasnt committed to the stand up game and the grounded fighter is taking a risk by trying to get up.

Thats not a sucker punch' date=' if the other fighter doesn't stand up properly and gets knocked out then its their fault they got hit.[/quote']

If the standing man motions for the grounded man to get up, hitting him while he did it would definitely be a sucker punch.

Thing is if there is a stall in action, and the standing fighter is obviously not going to ground, if the ref doesn't step between, the fight will end up like Silva/Leites. At that point the ref. is restarting the action in a neutral position, which is standing.

But if the grounded fighter is trying to get up within the flow of the action in the fight, then he is fair game.

If the standing man motions for the grounded man to get up' date=' hitting him while he did it would definitely be a sucker punch.

Thing is if there is a stall in action, and the standing fighter is obviously not going to ground, if the ref doesn't step between, the fight will end up like Silva/Leites. At that point the ref. is restarting the action in a neutral position, which is standing.

But if the grounded fighter is trying to get up within the flow of the action in the fight, then he is fair game.[/quote']

Nope, You don't know if your opponent is going to rush you when you stand up or not. So if the fighter on the ground doesn't stand up right and gets hit its his fault.

Thats not a sucker punch' date=' if the other fighter doesn't stand up properly and gets knocked out then its their fault they got hit.[/quote']

Saying your letting someone up and the punching them is a perfect example of a sucker punch. The point is the fighter doesnt want the guy Leitesing all over the ring so he can use superior stand up skills. The only thing worse would be hitting someone that isnt even fighting or while they are trying to touch gloves.

Nope' date=' You don't know if your opponent is going to rush you when you stand up or not. So if the fighter on the ground doesn't stand up right and gets hit its his fault.[/quote']

...wrong if you wave somone up you indicating you will let them up, the ref steps in so the standing fighter has to honour this.

example fighter A is in Fighter B`s guard ,Fighter A stands up takes 3 steps back drops his hands and indicates for fighter B to stand up, Fighter B starts to stand up and Fighter A rushes in and punches him.

The deception makes it a sucker punch and that is the exact reason the ref stands there to avoid this.

Archived