UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva bombs with only 270,000 Pay-Per-View buys

UFCGOD1

The injury hit UFC 108 card headlined by former light heavyweight champion, Rashad Evans and Brazilian heavy hitter, Thiago Silva bombed as far as Pay-Per-Views were concerned, getting an estimated 255,000-270,000 buys in total.

Dave Meltzer revealed the shocking news yesterday via his blog, meaning the show did considerably worse than UFC 106 in November which sold a total of 375,000 buys.

The promotions next show will be headlined by the clash of legends between Randy Couture and Mark Coleman. Fans have already expressed a lack of interest in seeing that fight meaning the numbers are unlikely to be much higher for this one.

On paper, 108 was less than average. It was a great card in reality. But the thing that counts is what's on paper, because this is what will decide if fans buy the card or not. UFC will make up for it with the upcoming events after 109. Even if all these cards end up sucking, they will still make money because fans will have bought them(Because they're so great on paper).

I seriously hope 109 turns out like 108, average card on paper but great in reality.

that happends quite alot, people think a cards gonna be **** then it isnt. If are card is full of fighters who arnt so well liked its there chance to step up and put on a good show. Every card now is a good card, even the fight nites are really good at the moment. the next one looks as good as a ppv card IMO. Good time to be a MMA fan anit it lol

UFC 110' date=' 111, 112 and 113 will pull in massive amounts.[/quote']

Ya, the four best cards since UFC 100. 111 + 112 both have 2 title matches + stacked cards including Matt Hughes. 113 is the best card of the year. Shogun v Machida, Rampage v Rashad and also Kimbo Slice and other great fights. 110 has Wandy, Cro Cop and Big Nog. These are very exciting times in the UFC.

I think the problem is a lack of exposure for the up and coming fighters. The average fan will only recognize the big names. The UFC needs to spend more time getting these hyped fighters more air time. Before the events they should show a compilation of the lesser named fighters fights as well. Kind of like a highlight reel for each fighter. The countdown show is only for the maincard so keep that but have another show that lets people know what the fighters were all about. Like Josh Neer. I didn't know much about him when he made his debut but Rogan said he had almost 100 amateur fights with one loss. Made me think "damn this guy is probably one tough SOB" Anyways you can't expect the average fan to buy a card with relatively unknown fighters.

When I was first getting into MMA I only purchased the cards with one or two championship bouts. I only wanted to spend my money to watch the best fighters out there showcase their skills. Now i've become a huge fan and know that your in the UFC for a reason and every card produces fireworks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. These so called "fans" that choose not to buy a card because it doesn't look interesting. Because they have never heard of most of the fighters. In my book they are Alleged Fans, Fair Weather Fans, Poser Fans. Doesn't matter who is fighting, the hours coming up to a fight I still get all giggly and excited like a little kid on Christmas morning and I'm 28 years old.

People really did miss out on a great card, but as someone pointed out, January 2nd is a time where everyone is kind of winding down from Christmas and New Years so one of the last things these casual mma fans are going to want to do is dish out $50 for a card that looked bad on paper.

Personally I'm just one of those people who will watch every singly live UFC event that I possibly can, so whether or not a PPV card is stacked with star power, I'm still going to buy it.

It really turned out to be a great night of fights. It just didn't have that big name power to attract the casual fans. I also think that having a fight on January 2nd was a bad idea. I know plenty of people who totally forgot that there was even a fight that day. They hadn't really checked the January schedule yet.

People really did miss out on a great card' date=' but as someone pointed out, January 2nd is a time where everyone is kind of winding down from Christmas and New Years so one of the last things these casual mma fans are going to want to do is dish out $50 for a card that looked bad on paper.

Personally I'm just one of those people who will watch every singly live UFC event that I possibly can, so whether or not a PPV card is stacked with star power, I'm still going to buy it.[/quote']

This!!

On paper' date=' 108 was less than average. It was a great card in reality. But the thing that counts is what's on paper, because this is what will decide if fans buy the card or not. UFC will make up for it with the upcoming events after 109. Even if all these cards end up sucking, they will still make money because fans will have bought them(Because they're so great on paper).

I seriously hope 109 turns out like 108, average card on paper but great in reality.[/quote']

this

Archived