Lesnar's wreslting

Mirko4life

Now I am not going to say I know all about wrestling as a sport and what not, because the truth is I don't. I can see good/great wrestling in MMA when I see it but that's about it.

The question I ask is why are a lot of people saying Brock has the best wrestling in MMA because he is a division 1 NCAA champion, when Randy and Hendo both are Olympic wrestlers. It makes no sense to me. If you're an NCAA champion, great for you. But to me, the Olympics represent the best in their domain, as far as single sports go anyway(Team sports are a whole different topic since it's not the accomplishment of a single athlete).

So can someone please explain this to me?

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now I am not going to say I know all about wrestling as a sport and what not' date=' because the truth is I don't. I can see good/great wrestling in MMA when I see it but that's about it.

The question I ask is why are a lot of people saying Brock has the best wrestling in MMA because he is a division 1 NCAA champion, when Randy and Hendo both are Olympic wrestlers. It makes no sense to me. If you're an NCAA champion, great for you. But to me, the Olympics represent the best in their domain, as far as single sports go anyway(Team sports are a whole different topic since it's not the accomplishment of a single athlete).

So can someone please explain this to me?[/quote']

I havn't heard anyone say he has the best wrestling in MMA, they say GSP does. They just say he is a good wrestler with a decorated background.

I have a feeling SCO will make an appearance on this subject. :D

I haven't seen him in a while lol. Maybe he got tired of getting schooled after each of his non-sense posts. But IF(that's a big if) he said something which make sense(not "dudez he took down every fighter he fought in his 5 fights"), I would gladly have a normal conversation with him.

GSP is far and away the best MMA wrestler, however as far as wrestling accolades go Brost is one of the best ever... hes had something like a 105-4 record in college wrestling... but that doesn't mean anything when someone like GSP didn't wrestle till he started MMA and now hes the best in the world at it

combined with his size id say he has the best wrestling as no one has stopped a take down from him yet

I want to know what makes him a better technical wrestler. The fact that he took down people who were much smaller than him or had no real wrestling background doesn't interest me. Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post.

combined with his size id say he has the best wrestling as no one has stopped a take down from him yet

Randy Coture did... Mir did not try to because he wanted to be on the ground

GSP gets over 80% of his take downs and hes been doing MMA longer then Brock will ever do MMA

GSP is far and away the best MMA wrestler' date=' however as far as wrestling accolades go Brost is one of the best ever... hes had something like a 105-4 record in college wrestling... but that doesn't mean anything when someone like GSP didn't wrestle till he started MMA and now hes the best in the world at it[/quote']

This is what I am talking about. How is being 105-4 in college better than being an Olympic wrestler?

GSP is far and away the best MMA wrestler' date=' however as far as wrestling accolades go Brost is one of the best ever... hes had something like a 105-4 record in college wrestling... but that doesn't mean anything when someone like GSP didn't wrestle till he started MMA and now hes the best in the world at it[/quote']

Brock is a VERY good wrestler. 106-5 in college

GSP p4p is far and away the best though. This really isn't even a debate really. Hizoka is 100% right

Ok best wrestler in MMA I doubt it. But best in UFC heavyweight (to be fair I say UFC incase there is someone im forgetting or don't know about).

If you know about Brock's NCAA days, he has much better takedown defense than takedowns. Since he has taken down everyone he has fought so far, most with ease (a bit of trouble with Randy but give him a break) it leads me to believe he could definitely stop a takedown from any UFC HW (both skill and size involved).

Ok best wrestler in MMA I doubt it. But best in UFC heavyweight (to be fair I say UFC incase there is someone im forgetting or don't know about).

If you know about Brock's NCAA days' date=' he has much better takedown defense than takedowns. Since he has taken down everyone he has fought so far, most with ease (a bit of trouble with Randy but give him a break) it leads me to believe he could definitely stop a takedown from any UFC HW (both skill and size involved).[/quote']the finny thing is no-one is going to try and take him down... hes got less then 0 stand up game... why would anyone want to take him down when they could hit him in that huge **** coconut of his...

you can also tell hes very very afraid of the stand up game... i bet hes got a weak chin

the finny thing is no-one is going to try and take him down... hes got less then 0 stand up game... why would anyone want to take him down when they could hit him in that huge **** coconut of his...

you can also tell hes very very afraid of the stand up game... i bet hes got a weak chin

Are you kidding?!?!? He's been hit in the head with steel chairs and didn't go down. :)

Koschek is the most deocrated wrestler with 3 national titles......GSP is a great wrestler ..but he uses his strikes to set up the take downs...in a pure wresltling match Koscheck would win.

Couture and Hendo ...doing Grecko Roman wrestling ...I think is better suited for MMA...more effective...less likelu to catch knees on the way in and less tiring and can use the fence better.

Im not sure Brock is a better wrestler then Carwin.......thats up for Debate.

Sorry i don't even read the posts because my opinion simple:The roids Brock have used or use before he get sick have come back to hit him.I feel bad for his health but when even doctors r not sure about roids eff and guys hwo live like monks exept they r using roids get sick i am pretty sure this is or will be his problem.It's a game of dice if u ask me.You take the roids on your own risk.I see a doc on NG with Bodybuilder dying @40 yo with liver and other disease with not reason.Saying that Brock have not take roids is pureley ignorance.Ex: i have a friend hwo was benchpressing 100lbs one week and the next 2 weeks he was benchpressing 300+ easy.Good diet can't do this.And here apologinzing 4 my bad spelling i rest my case

Sorry i don't even read the posts because my opinion simple:The roids Brock have used or use before he get sick have come back to hit him.I feel bad for his health but when even doctors r not sure about roids eff and guys hwo live like monks exept they r using roids get sick i am pretty sure this is or will be his problem.It's a game of dice if u ask me.You take the roids on your own risk.I see a doc on NG with Bodybuilder dying @40 yo with liver and other disease with not reason.Saying that Brock have not take roids is pureley ignorance.Ex: i have a friend hwo was benchpressing 100lbs one week and the next 2 weeks he was benchpressing 300+ easy.Good diet can't do this.And here apologinzing 4 my bad spelling i rest my case

He doesn't take roids and claiming that he does without evidence can result in a ban, I won't report you though since you are new and probably didn't realize this.

He doesn't take roids and claiming that he does without evidence can result in a ban' date=' I won't report you though since you are new and probably didn't realize this.[/quote']

I am sry if you feel that way, it's just my opinion.What is the point of those threads then?

Maybe I read it wrong' date=' it could very well be that since I am drunk most of the time I am on these forums lol.[/quote']I can tell by how bad your posts are.

The problem is that people like you don't really know anything about amateur wrestling, so you assume 'omg teh olympics is teh best!', not taking into consideration that guys like Couture are GRECO wrestlers.

A little bit of an instructional lesson for the ignorant.

1. One of the fundamental aspects of wrestling in MMA centers around takedowns.

2. There are no takedowns in Greco wrestling, but there are in collegiate wrestling. Therefore Collegiate style wrestling translates to much more effective MMA wrestling,and the best collegiate wrestlers (ie; Brock) have a huge advantage being so well versed with TD's.

3. Brock was the number one ranked HW wrestler in North America at one point. He could have easily made the olympic team, but went after the millions that the WWE threw at him instead.

4. Being the biggest and strongest guy and incredibly fast for his size, Brock may not be the best wrestler technically in MMA, but he would dominate any other wrestler in the sport.

Man....I figured him for a technical wrestler like Bret or Mr Perfect lol

Who????? Mr Perfect,you mean the K-1 Mr Perfect,Ernesto Hoost ?? it's a joke right? Ok he is not fighting anymore but he Don't have this nick for nothing.Any Ufc guy(Anderson Included dreams to have striking coach like him)Just look at his K1 fights.He broke the forearms of Jerome le Banner for god sakes and he was ending his career.

oh and sry but can i ask who is this Sco u r talking so much,a fighter i don't know or see in the ufc or maybe other organization?

I can tell by how bad your posts are.

The problem is that people like you don't really know anything about amateur wrestling' date=' so you assume 'omg teh olympics is teh best!', not taking into consideration that guys like Couture are GRECO wrestlers.

A little bit of an instructional lesson for the ignorant.

1. One of the fundamental aspects of wrestling in MMA centers around takedowns.

2. [u']There are no takedowns in Greco wrestling,[/u] but there are in collegiate wrestling. Therefore Collegiate style wrestling translates to much more effective MMA wrestling,and the best collegiate wrestlers (ie; Brock) have a huge advantage being so well versed with TD's.

3. Brock was the number one ranked HW wrestler in North America at one point. He could have easily made the olympic team, but went after the millions that the WWE threw at him instead.

4. Being the biggest and strongest guy and incredibly fast for his size, Brock may not be the best wrestler technically in MMA, but he would dominate any other wrestler in the sport.

Actually there are Takedowns in Greco-Roman Wrestling , There are just no leg attacks Fact for the ignorant .... Olympic Wrestlers are World Caliber .... thus Brocks wrestler pedigree not as good ... Although a NCAA D1 Champ is still pretty dam good

Actually there are Takedowns in Greco-Roman Wrestling ' date=' There are just no leg attacks Fact for the ignorant .... Olympic Wrestlers are World Caliber .... thus Brocks wrestler pedigree not as good ... Although a NCAA D1 Champ is still pretty dam good[/quote']You can't shoot for a TD in Greco. Shooting is the most important aspect of wrestling in MMA.

You can't shoot for a TD in Greco. Shooting is the most important aspect of wrestling in MMA.

Clinch takedowns, if done correctly, are just as good. Greco Roman wrestlers are more suited for MMA, because boxing can often lead to a clinch. Look at what Couture was doing to the 300 pound Lesnar just in the clinch.

Did you also see how easily Couture managed to get up after the takedown? And how easily he managed to avoid the other attempts Lesnar made?

I can assure you if the same Couture who fought Gonzaga appeared that night against Lesnar, he would still be the champion

Hmm. It's an interesting question, because Brock never pursued amateur wrestling AFTER college, so it's hard to draw a direct comparison between his POSSIBLE Olympic credentials, (i.e, had he not signed for WWE and stayed an amateur athlete) and Hendo's genuine Olympic credentials, but lack of a NCAA championship...

Also, GSP is generally hailed as one of the best wrestlers in MMA and he is neither an olympian (yet...) or a college wrestler, given his original base was in Karate.

With reference to MMA, the question of 'who is the best wrestler' depends on what you do with it - while the likes of Couture tends to wear his opponents down against the fence, Brock takes folk down and gets to the GNP - which is better?

Like most 'x is better than y' questions it's very much in the eye of the beholder...

Clinch takedowns' date=' if done correctly, are just as good[/u']. Greco Roman wrestlers are more suited for MMA, because boxing can often lead to a clinch. Look at what Couture was doing to the 300 pound Lesnar just in the clinch.

Did you also see how easily Couture managed to get up after the takedown? And how easily he managed to avoid the other attempts Lesnar made?

I can assure you if the same Couture who fought Gonzaga appeared that night against Lesnar, he would still be the champion

but clinch takedowns + shot TD's are even better. Brock has the best of both worlds.

I disagree with you as well, shooting gives a fighter the ability to completely avoid striking and take their opponents down at will from any position in the octagon.

Also, if you want to talk about clinch TD's Randy scored none on Brock and Brock scored two on Randy in their fight.

The best way for fighters to get a takedown is to shoot while there opponent is throwing strikes. This is what GSP does. Lesnar is a great wrestler. Even though he is massive you have to give him credit for being able to take his opponents down at will. If one of his opponents can make it to the late rounds they might have a chance because Lesnar wont be able to get the takedowns as easy if hes tired. Lesnar is very tough to beat.

Archived