Matt Serra

K22UFC

He is one of the biggest names in the UFC Welterweight division but I was looking at his record and I saw that his career has pretty much just ran off of his win over GSP. His next biggest win was against Chris Lytle and that was by split decision. His four other UFC wins are over Menjivar, Curran, Dullanty and Edwards. These are all quite poor level fighters and they all have very little names in MMA. He has lost to Hughes, GSP, Parisyan, Thomas, Penn and Carter. I think that he is very over-rated.

He is very undersized and should be fighting @ LW. But a very skilled fighter who needs to lay of the pasta and go down a weight class.

Ya, I agree with that. He would be a good Lightweight and at 5"6 it shouldnt be that hard to make the drop. He is too small at Welterweight.

hes not overrated, id say hes generally considered to be a non factor in the WW division. like you guys are saying he should be at 155, but i doubt he would do much there either. great jiu jitsu guy but very short, which is a disadvantage in the JJ game, and he has no real striking ability to speak of

Tell that to GSP. lol

lol i knew someone would say that. anyone can catch anyone with a punch, you dont have to have good hands to swing punches at someone. we all saw what happened in the rematch, anyone remember GSP giving him like 6 left hands in a row right in the face before taking him down? serra cant box man hes lost when its standing. even though he did beat hughes on the feet, which isnt saying much cause hughes stand up is horrible too

lol i knew someone would say that. anyone can catch anyone with a punch' date=' you dont have to have good hands to swing punches at someone. we all saw what happened in the rematch, anyone remember GSP giving him like 6 left hands in a row right in the face before taking him down? serra cant box man hes lost when its standing. even though he did beat hughes on the feet, which isnt saying much cause hughes stand up is horrible too[/quote']

I had to do it. lol

He is one of the biggest names in the UFC Welterweight division but I was looking at his record and I saw that his career has pretty much just ran off of his win over GSP. His next biggest win was against Chris Lytle and that was by split decision. His four other UFC wins are over Menjivar' date=' Curran, Dullanty and Edwards. These are all quite poor level fighters and they all have very little names in MMA. He has lost to Hughes, GSP, Parisyan, Thomas, Penn and Carter. I think that he is very over-rated.[/quote']

He'll beat twinkle toes though.

He is one of the biggest names in the UFC Welterweight division but I was looking at his record and I saw that his career has pretty much just ran off of his win over GSP. His next biggest win was against Chris Lytle and that was by split decision. His four other UFC wins are over Menjivar' date=' Curran, Dullanty and Edwards. These are all quite poor level fighters and they all have very little names in MMA. He has lost to Hughes, GSP, Parisyan, Thomas, Penn and Carter. I think that he is very over-rated.[/quote']

He should fight at LW and see how he does.

No' date=' I think you are wrong.[/quote']

No, YOU'RE wrong, obviously, b/c Hughes won that fight based on what he did in the 2nd and 3rd round. The only times that Serra looked good in that fight is when he got out of an "almost" rear naked choke and when he took Hughes down in the 3rd. Thats it. The only reason he won the 1st round is b/c he accidentally headbutted Hughes, which caused him to be in la la land for a bit. Hughes did to Serra what Couture did to Vera. He went back and did what he did best to win a fight. He took Serra down at will and convincingly. It might not have been the most entertaining fight to watch, just like the Couture and Vera fight, but yes, he did win it and most everyone believes that he won it as well. But most importantly, the judges thought he won it ;)

No' date=' YOU'RE wrong, obviously, b/c Hughes won that fight based on what he did in the 2nd and 3rd round. The only times that Serra looked good in that fight is when he got out of an "almost" rear naked choke and when he took Hughes down in the 3rd. Thats it. The only reason he won the 1st round is b/c he accidentally headbutted Hughes, which caused him to be in la la land for a bit. Hughes did to Serra what Couture did to Vera. He went back and did what he did best to win a fight. He took Serra down at will and convincingly. It might not have been the most entertaining fight to watch, just like the Couture and Vera fight, but yes, he did win it and most everyone believes that he won it as well. But most importantly, the judges thought he won it ;)[/quote']

Laying on some one is not beating them... its hoping to not lose... Hughes is afraid of Serra thats why he pulled the LnP crap

Matt Serra is the perfect example of a one hit wonder. If not for that lucky punch on GSP he would probably have been out of the UFC by now. hes only fought 3 times in the last 4 years.

and still, I want him to beat the crap out of strikeforce bound Trigg.

Laying on some one is not beating them... its hoping to not lose... Hughes is afraid of Serra thats why he pulled the LnP crap

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to win. Now I didn't say he whipped Serras **** did I? I'm just saying he won the fight. Like I said before, it wasn't an entertaining fight, but Hughes did win IMO. You're probably the same kind of person that says Vera beat Couture b/c all Couture did was hold him up against the cage. All I have to say to Serra and Vera is tough. Serra especially b/c what else did he think Hughes was gonna do?? Serra talked soooo much smack leading up to that fight and he did nothing that was impressive. He has his own Jiu Jitsu academy for crying outloud and he never once came close to pulling something off. I mean, if he's the jiu jitsu ace that he proclaims to be then don't let someone take you down whenever they want to and just lay on top of you. Do something about it and he didn't. He just laid there and let Hughes punch his side.

Now if it were a closer contested fight in the sense that everytime Hughes took him down Serra would squirm around and get back up or be threatening from the ground, then my opinion about the decision would be different. But that didn't happen.

Archived