Why you must always tap from a kimura...

Charlie_Fast_Crack

I have recently been training BJJ with a world class practitioner in the UK called Les Allen. He was the first guy from the UK to compete in Pancrase.

Anyway, although I am a black belt in Wado Ryu Karate I am a beginner at Ju Jitsu.

The story goes, i arrived early for training where some of the higher grades were sparring. i was asked to join in if i wanted so thought i may as well. Whilst sparring with les, he put a wicked arm bar on my right arm from guard. I obviously tapped. However i did think 'damn that hurt' good job i tapped when i did.

then it was his turn to pass my guard. he ended up isolating my left arm. i struggled for a bit, then BANG!! an unbelievably loud popping sound. i looked up at him and he had an un-nerving look on his face.

i looked to my left and my arm had been completely snapped at the humerus. it was lifeless just on the mat. the pain was excruciating as you may see from the photo (if uploaded correctly)

i guess the lesson is, when u feel u have no more control over your arm/leg whatever, you sure as hell better tap. it can happen so quickly. now i cant train for a few months which im gutted about.

Anyone any advice? or any other mma/karate/ju jitsu/wrestling etc injury stories?

(also i apologise for the grammar. typing with one hand is hard ha)

I have recently been training BJJ with a world class practitioner in the UK called Les Allen. He was the first guy from the UK to compete in Pancrase.

Anyway' date=' although I am a black belt in Wado Ryu Karate I am a beginner at Ju Jitsu.

The story goes, i arrived early for training where some of the higher grades were sparring. i was asked to join in if i wanted so thought i may as well. Whilst sparring with les, he put a wicked arm bar on my right arm from guard. I obviously tapped. However i did think 'damn that hurt' good job i tapped when i did.

then it was his turn to pass my guard. he ended up isolating my left arm. i struggled for a bit, then BANG!! an unbelievably loud popping sound. i looked up at him and he had an un-nerving look on his face.

i looked to my left and my arm had been completely snapped at the humerus. it was lifeless just on the mat. the pain was excruciating as you may see from the photo (if uploaded correctly)

i guess the lesson is, when u feel u have no more control over your arm/leg whatever, you sure as hell better tap. it can happen so quickly. now i cant train for a few months which im gutted about.

Anyone any advice? or any other mma/karate/ju jitsu/wrestling etc injury stories?

(also i apologise for the grammar. typing with one hand is hard ha)[/quote']

I broke my big toe once if that counts.

once i dislocated my right elbow and had the bone popping all the way out of the side of my arm.

not literally popped out of my skin, but it was obviously sticking out of the side of my arm when it shouldnt be. 5 minutes later im on the way to the hospital screaming like a little girl! the morphine made up for it however.

once i dislocated my right elbow and had the bone popping all the way out of the side of my arm.

not literally popped out of my skin' date=' but it was obviously sticking out of the side of my arm when it shouldnt be. 5 minutes later im on the way to the hospital screaming like a little girl! the morphine made up for it however.[/quote']

i thought my elbow was dilocated at first but when i saw the x-ray i knew it was worse. didnt help when all doctors and nurses were stood around making huffing and puffing noises.

morphine does help but gas and air is amazing!!

Anyway' date=' although I am a black belt in Wado Ryu Karate I am a beginner at Ju Jitsu.

Been in Kenpo Karate since 5 y/o (currently 22) Injuries: broken nose x4, 6x broken fingers, 3x broken toes, 1x dislocated right shoulder, 2x ACL/MCL tears in my right knee which needs surgery after all these years, 2x cracked ribs, and dislocated right ankle. no ****.

honestly your trainer should have gone a little "easy" so to speak. here in Canada JIU JITSU (sorry you kept mispelling it and ive been in BJJ since age 10) is drilled at a 30-70% pace with all technique no power, no need to tear off a new members arm, now you can't even train I hope he feels like a **** seriously bro. Out of all those injuries only a few were from my trainer's and that was training for tournaments so of course the pace is higher and faster then 70%.

when I was white belt in BJJ I broke two toes trying to push my partners away with both feet from on my back, he was starting to step over to pass and when i started to push on the chest my toes got caught in the GI and just broke with ease.

My arm has been dislocated so I know your pain bro, make sure you get to physio and keep your shoulders level or else you'll heal with your hips higher on one side then the other, happend to me :(

Wow, if this is true I'm really surprised that a world class BJJ practitioner would snap a sparring partners arm. Jujitsu is about control and using your technical prowess to dictate where and how the match takes place and ends. Being in control isn't only limited to skillfully applying submissions, it's also about having the ability to overcome your opponent without causing serious injuring or harm him/her.

Les Allen should be ashamed of himself.

did you see the sports science episode with fedor they were trying to figure out who choke was more powerful a python or fedor. fedor surpised everyone with having over 500 lbs of pressure the measurments were of the charts. the python had only 40 lbs of pressure, they said fedor can break someone neck just from his choke hold.

did you see the sports science episode with fedor they were trying to figure out who choke was more powerful a python or fedor. fedor surpised everyone with having over 500 lbs of pressure the measurments were of the charts. the python had only 40 lbs of pressure' date=' they said fedor can break someone neck just from his choke hold.[/quote']

man!! That is some serious strength!!! Fedor is the man

Who doesn't like milk??

Me...ugh..not the biggest fan. I'll drink it but it doesnt taste that good. Chocolate Milk is good though...but white milk..blah. It could have something to do that I worked in a dairy dept at a supermarket for 4 years or maybe that im somewhat lactosse intolerant. But not a big milk fan.

But ya broken bones suck. I broke my wrist once riding a bike..took a sharp turn and fell on my wrist. The doctors didnt know it was broken and they left it unattended for weeks..I was still in alot of pain and went back and they said it was broken. Luckily it was already healing the right way so I didnt have a cast on for long. Then i broke my right middle finger. It also has never healed right. I cant put it up straight like the other fingers. Ive actually got pretty used to it but one day i might wanna go get that fixed.

ouch,

I was once powerbombed while trying to sink in a triangle choke on a much larger opponent, I made the mistake of grabbing my foot with both hands, instead of hanging onto his ankle with one hand to defend against the p bomb. Anyway, it broke a few ribs, but I did manage to tap the guy out!

btw, broken ribs are the worst

Been in Kenpo Karate since 5 y/o (currently 22) Injuries: broken nose x4' date=' 6x broken fingers, 3x broken toes, 1x dislocated right shoulder, 2x ACL/MCL tears in my right knee which needs surgery after all these years, 2x cracked ribs, and dislocated right ankle. no ****.

honestly your trainer should have gone a little "easy" so to speak. here in Canada JIU JITSU (sorry you kept mispelling it and ive been in BJJ since age 10) is drilled at a 30-70% pace with all technique no power, no need to tear off a new members arm, now you can't even train I hope he feels like a **** seriously bro. Out of all those injuries only a few were from my trainer's and that was training for tournaments so of course the pace is higher and faster then 70%.

when I was white belt in BJJ I broke two toes trying to push my partners away with both feet from on my back, he was starting to step over to pass and when i started to push on the chest my toes got caught in the GI and just broke with ease.

My arm has been dislocated so I know your pain bro, make sure you get to physio and keep your shoulders level or else you'll heal with your hips higher on one side then the other, happend to me :([/quote']

obviously i'm a bit p1ssed off with my trainer but it was a strange experience. he controlled my arm and it all happened so quickly. he said he didnt even put it on properly so no idea whats going on there ha.

my shoulder is hanging though from the weight of the pot. i dont want to prop it up tho to ruin the healing process of the bone. i only did it weds and have another x-ray this week so can see whats going on. hopefully its healing fine and rrequires no surgery.

Breaking an bone completely through is so painful...

once i was lying down on the couch and a threw out my back trying reach for the potato chips.

no but for real once I broke my hand throwing a fit on a door. didn't hurt at all at first but it was swelling up like a tennis ball. it did end up hurting a little but i complained big time and got 50 percocet for it.

You broke your wrist kicking someone? lol You should lay off the alcohol next time man ha ha.
seriously like wtf?

hahahaha, don't make me sound any dumber than I already am....

I was hammered and the guy was standing next to me, and someone told me to do it, and when I'm drunk, everything seems like a good idea...

I'm pretty sure I clipped him right in the shoulder before my left leg went out from under me, then I made the mistake of posting on cement and the rest is history.

I broke 2 fingers falling off my skateboard. Broken pinkey playing baseball. broke both middle fingers playing football. Broke some ribs skateboarding. had a pirce of rebar pushed trough my chin bone, cutt off my left thumb when i was 8-9, broke nose in a fight, broke my right anckle playing football and ste same ankle playing ultamate frisbee. Broke right wrist roller skating, and again ice skating and a 3rd time snow boarding. Broke several bones in both hands in an amature bout. Think thats about all the breaks.

I broke 2 fingers falling off my skateboard. Broken pinkey playing baseball. broke both middle fingers playing football. Broke some ribs skateboarding. had a pirce of rebar pushed trough my chin bone' date=' cutt off my left thumb when i was 8-9, broke nose in a fight, broke my right anckle playing football and ste same ankle playing ultamate frisbee. Broke right wrist roller skating, and again ice skating and a 3rd time snow boarding. Broke several bones in both hands in an amature bout. Think thats about all the breaks.[/quote']

wow thats a lot of breaks!

I broke 2 fingers falling off my skateboard. Broken pinkey playing baseball. broke both middle fingers playing football. Broke some ribs skateboarding. had a pirce of rebar pushed trough my chin bone' date=' cutt off my left thumb when i was 8-9, broke nose in a fight, broke my right anckle playing football and ste same ankle playing ultamate frisbee. Broke right wrist roller skating, and again ice skating and a 3rd time snow boarding. Broke several bones in both hands in an amature bout. Think thats about all the breaks.[/quote']

I only broke my pinky playing basketball. Never got it fixed though, it looks hardcore.

Or it healed nicely and it's barely noticeable. You choose.

I have to say. That was real messed up of him. When we roll in the gym, especially when you're just practicing, you don't try to destroy each other man.

you roll real fluid to practice control, and when you isolate an arm, you lightly go for the sub and let your team mate tap.

The lesson here is that Les Allen is a d bag.

Knowing Les, as he is a friend of the magazine, I know that it wouldn't have been done with malice and would have only been "one of those things". He's not the type of guy to do that. Sometimes these things just happen. Bones can go at the strangest of times.

So, all the talk of him being an ******* and a ********* is uncalled for! He is a spiritual guy and a great grappler.

You from Halifax Charlie?

Knowing Les' date=' as he is a friend of the magazine, I know that it wouldn't have been done with malice and would have only been "one of those things". He's not the type of guy to do that. Sometimes these things just happen. Bones can go at the strangest of times.

So, all the talk of him being an ******* and a ********* is uncalled for! He is a spiritual guy and a great grappler.

You from Halifax Charlie?[/quote']

i have no malice towards him for it. i think it was just 'one of those things' which sucks but there you go. the only reason i used his name was to see if anyone had heard of him or trained with him before.

you guys should stop bad mouthing him. i mean to be fair he is an excellent teacher but maybe should have gone a little easier. i should also have tapped when i lost control of my arm but i was wriggling around and it just happened very very quickly

yeah im from halifax

Archived