reality check! the best fighters in each division arent the champions

Uwillsubmit

yup im gonna exclude bj penn because he clearly is at LW and anderson at MW

but WW LHW and HW divisions have champions who arent the best allround fighters in those divisions.

the 2 best allround MMA fighters @ LHW are anderson silva and shogun not machida

the best allround MMA fighter @ HW is frank mir

the best all round MMA fighter @ WW is thiago alves

its a fact that the current WW and HW champions are one trick ponies and the LHW champ has only a plan A and if plan A doesnt work he doesnt know what to do.

you know its true dont let your stanning of your favorite fighter cloud your judgement

and for the record the fighters i named arent my favorite fighters so you cant say im biased in my opinion on this

if only there was a way to prove that alves was better than GSP....wait..there was five rounds that proved that he wasnt. and a one trick pony? i think not. he has some nice technical striking. of course he uses his wrestling alot but why not?

he barely uses his stand up since serra checked his @ss, like i said one trick pony not the best all round fighter in the division

its not madness' date=' its fact and judging by your sig id say your opinion isnt the greatest otherwise you wouldnt have that sig[/quote']

It's COMPLETE madness!

Saying that Alves is more of a complete MMA fighter than GSP, is proof of your trolling.

Secondly, I got my sig because Rashad didn't KO Silva.

It was a pretty rough bet to make, but I thought he'd pull it off. At least he still got the W.

It's COMPLETE madness!

Saying that Alves is more of a complete MMA fighter than GSP' date=' is proof of your trolling.

Secondly, I got my sig because Rashad didn't KO Silva.

It was a pretty rough bet to make, but I thought he'd pull it off. At least he still got the W.[/quote']

so you thought rashad would KO silva? lol.

and im not trolling these are my views on the current divisions, god forbid we have some diversity

so you thought rashad would KO silva? lol.

and im not trolling these are my views on the current divisions' date=' god forbid we have some diversity[/quote']

KO/TKO.. didn't really matter.

There's a difference of opinion, and then there is fact.

FACT: GSP is the most well-rounded fighter in the WW division, and maybe even all of MMA.

Furthermore, Anderson Silva is a MW fighter, and should not be included in LHW discussions until he moves up permanently, or holds the title.

KO/TKO.. didn't really matter.

There's a difference of opinion' date=' and then there is fact.

FACT: GSP is the most well-rounded fighter in the WW division, and maybe even all of MMA.

Furthermore, Anderson Silva is a MW fighter, and should not be included in LHW discussions until he moves up permanently, or holds the title.[/quote']

his last fight was @ LHW so ill class him in the last division he fought and even so shogun is there aswell to prove my point

his last fight was @ LHW so ill class him in the last division he fought and even so shogun is there aswell to prove my point

How does it prove your point?

Out of 5 weight-classes in the UFC, 3 of them are ruled by the best and most well-rounded fighter BY FAR in their division (LW, WW, MW).

At 205, I still think Lyoto outclasses Shogun in every aspect of MMA. If the next fight goes to the ground, Lyoto will be able to hold his own. Regardless, they're the two best in that division, and one of them will be champion.

That only leaves HW, where OBVIOUSLY Brock isn't the most well-rounded.

So hmm... 1 out of 5? Yeah, that really proves your point.

I'm done with this thread now.

Goodbye.

he barely uses his stand up since serra checked his @ss' date=' like i said one trick pony not the best all round fighter in the division[/quote']

Did you see GSP vs Fitch, GSP smashed him on the feet, he hit him so hard you see vaseline fly off of Fitch's head, yeah he is definitely a one trick pony

How does it prove your point?

Out of 5 weight-classes in the UFC' date=' 3 of them are ruled by the best and most well-rounded fighter BY FAR in their division (LW, WW, MW).

At 205, I still think Lyoto outclasses Shogun in every aspect of MMA. If the next fight goes to the ground, Lyoto will be able to hold his own. Regardless, they're the two best in that division, and one of them will be champion.

That only leaves HW, where OBVIOUSLY Brock isn't the most well-rounded.

So hmm... 1 out of 5? Yeah, that really proves your point.

I'm done with this thread now.

Goodbye.[/quote']

i respectively disagree with your opinion on machida, infact i dont see anywhere machida outclasses shogun

I think you can lay claim to Lyoto and Brock not being the best in the division yet, but I would disagree with you re GSP.

He isn't a one trick pony, but is utilising the greatest of his many strengths to retain his title. This is what Machida has done in his career, until someone (Shogun) came up with a gameplan that was able to take Machida out of his. Until someone can stop GSP taking them down, then why not use such an effective tactic?

the contentious matter of shogun vs machida will be settled soon so hopefully who ever wins will be convincing enough to end discussion.

as or frank mir, the kongo fight was promising but not long enough to see the true improvements in his overall game.

if he chooses to bang with carwin and is successful then he is for sure the most well rounded in ufc hw

he barely uses his stand up since serra checked his @ss' date=' like i said one trick pony not the best all round fighter in the division[/quote']

soooo if u knew doing one thing would cause you to lose you would still do it?????? if u had no arms would u still try to box cmon now. i will give u machida his time is running out but not GSP or BROCK. the truth is gsp and brock do the same thing in every fight. they set up the take down with good hands. sooo if these other fighters were so good y wouldnt they know that??? and if they did well i don;t see them doing anything to stop it. cmon now

soooo if u knew doing one thing would cause you to lose you would still do it?????? if u had no arms would u still try to box cmon now. i will give u machida his time is running out but not GSP or BROCK. the truth is gsp and brock do the same thing in every fight. they set up the take down with good hands. sooo if these other fighters were so good y wouldnt they know that??? and if they did well i don;t see them doing anything to stop it. cmon now

and i think that the minute gsp figured his wrestling wasnt working he would start a complete striking game. or if he got put on his back he would work the sub right away.

brock is the only one im not sure about. if u had someone his size with takedown defense (i mean excellent takedown defense) then his hands might work for him but if he was put on his back hes screwed

ur right brock doesnt have good hands that head kick he threw knocked down heath and randy. really cmon now. im not saying he's a boxer but he has good hands and alot of power behind it.

I agree he has a good right hand which makes the take down easyer as they are more worried about getting KO'd.

As for GSP he can do it all Alves cant!

How can you say Shogun is the best all around LHW when he was outclassed by Forrest and then didn't even convincingly beat Machida?

And how can anyone say Machida isn't entertaining? I've never seen anyone master technique the way he has. But... opinions are opinions.

but WW LHW and HW divisions have champions who arent the best allround fighters in those divisions.

the 2 best allround MMA fighters @ LHW are anderson silva and shogun not machida

its a fact that the current WW and HW champions are one trick ponies and the LHW champ has only a plan A and if plan A doesnt work he doesnt know what to do.

you know its true dont let your stanning of your favorite fighter cloud your judgement

and for the record the fighters i named arent my favorite fighters so you cant say im biased in my opinion on this

agree on your opinion except for GSP and WW. probably at HW,i would go for big nog,he'll win if he gets a rematch with mir and an upcomer JDS.

:DLMFAO!!!:D

I'll agree on the assessment of everything but WW.

George is so far from a one trick pony it's unbelievable. Out of 19 career wins he has finished 8 fights by TKO and 5 by submission. 21 fights and he's gone to a decision 6 times. Lets not forget that his striking also got the better of Alves, he used it effectively to set up and score the takedown.

GSP is by far one of the best fighters on the planet.

I guess you missed where GSP dropped Thiago Alves twice with strikes, dominated Fitch, dropped Hughes with a head kick in fight 2 and with strikes in fight 3. Ya his stand up sucks.

So by your logic we should give Frank Mir and Thiago Alves title shots! Oh wait...

It's true that the champions may not all be the most well rounded fighters, but they don't need to be if they can dictate the fight and keep it where they want it to be.

You say that Brock and GSP are one-trick ponies, but we've seen before that Anderson Silva struggles to fight off of his back, and prefers to keep fights standing. Surely that makes him no more well rounded than Brock or GSP?

GSP is the most well rounded fighter p4p with anderson probably. Its common sense like when he fought alves he used striking a little bit mixed with takedowns, thats because of the striking of alves. If someone is better then you at you at one thing you use another to neutralize it.

Its actually common sense. People use what cancels out what opponent has.

If you had a fist, id have a knife

If you had a knife id have a gun

if u had a gun, id have a shotgun

if you have a shotgun id have a machine, ak, or any other rapid fire gun.

If you had rapid fire guns, id have missles.

Hopefully some people who think GSP is one trick pony understand that relatively easy example. If not i pray for you.

I'm going to disagree that the WW, LHW, and HW champions are one trick ponys.

But if we pretend that the champions have their titles because they are one trick ponys, than that doesn't really make your no.1 fighters look very good, does it? The beautiful thing about MMA and other sports is that you have to use your brain as well as your brawn. The sport is like a chess game, if you make a move, than your opponent gets to make a move in reaction to it. There is no one move that beats all as there is always a counter and opposite move to make in reaction.

So if they truly were one trick pony's, than your well-rounded no.1 fighters don't seem quite so great if they can't figure out how to counter one single tactic. Afterall, if a person punches, you can block, if a person kicks, you can catch it, if a person tries to take you down, you can sprawl. Are you saying that your no.1 fighters can't figure out how to counter a single move?

So, in conclusion, I will say that even if the champions at WW, LHW, and HW are not the best at every aspect of the sport of MMA, their skills are dynamic and are obviously better utilitzed than those no.1 fighters to whom they have beaten.

Thanks.

The only thing GSP really has against him is a suspect chin. Not a bad one, because we've only seen him finished by a heavy handed fighter.

And the only danger Alves was is in the standup, that's why he took him down. You can't make a legacy when you're clipped by a lucky shot. Also, Alves is a huge WW with great takedown defense that obviously worked his **** off training in that area, and look where that got him. Dropped twice by strikes and almost finished once, and completely dominated on the ground, albeit without that much damage.

I wanna see GSP take on Jake Shields and just use his standup lulz. That'd shut everyone up.

Archived