how many pride fighters can say they made a successful transition to the ufc?

Uwillsubmit

anderson silva? yes or would you class him more as a cage rage fighter then pride? he only had 5 fights in pride going 3-2

wandy NO

Mirko NO

Page - yes became ufc champion

hendo NO failed in 2 title attempts and i dont count ufc 17

heath herring? NO

sokoju? NO

Shogun? it remains to be seen but with wins over coleman and liddel and a controversial loss to machida the rematch will determine if he is a success or failure

then there are a bunch of mid level fighters like aurillio,chonan so what does this really say about pride?

yeah but they werent old when they came over wandy was in his late 20s hendo was early 30s same with mirko' date=' so dont use that excuse buddy[/quote']

I dont think age really matters so much, just look how many fights those guys have, u cant keep it up 4 ever.

all im hearing is excuses' date=' but facts are facts ol'chum[/quote']

Well what about the relevant ufc fighters at the time Pride was still around:

Liddel

Ortiz

Natural

Matt Hughes

Tim Silyvia

Andrei Arlosiki

These fighters are not so relevant now, in fact most people make fun of them.

Want another fact? When Chuck(The most dominant UFC LHW they had at the time) went to Pride' date=' he lost to a guy who wasn't considered the best LHW there. lolwut[/quote']

Not just that. I just watched Pride 2005 and Vitor Belfort war representing UFC and he lost in the first round against Alistair in the elimination rounds.

anderson silva? yes or would you class him more as a cage rage fighter then pride? he only had 5 fights in pride going 3-2

wandy NO

Mirko NO

Page - yes became ufc champion

hendo NO failed in 2 title attempts and i dont count ufc 17

heath herring? NO

sokoju? NO

Shogun? it remains to be seen but with wins over coleman and liddel and a controversial loss to machida the rematch will determine if he is a success or failure

then there are a bunch of mid level fighters like aurillio' date='chonan so what does this really say about pride?[/quote']

I will just fix this for you.

Anderson is a Pride fighter, he has been advertised as such so he is. By your logic very few guys are UFC fighters beacuse most of them transitioned from somewhere else to the UFC.

Hendo was very succesufull as he had won three straight fights and he only lost to former Pride fighters(Anderson and Rampage) in the UFC.

Shogun had a rough transitioning but he came into his own and he should be a champion anyways so that tells it all.

Rampage very sucesuffull

Big Nog - former champ

Lil Nog - looking good

Wandy doesnt look so good but he is still dangerous for anyone

Mirko didnt do well

Werdum - also was pretty solid

Sokoju was never that good, he had two fluke wins in pride and thats all

Herring was a gatekeeper in Pride and he still is in the UFC

If you look it like this, Pride fighters did extremly good. They didnt just destroy everyvone in the first round but it would be foolish to expect this but most of them are contenders and few of them are or were champions.

I like how you don't count anything that is contrary to your argument.

You conveniently left the Nogueira brothers off your list.

Henderson has had succes. God forbid he not beat the 2 best in the world in each weight division. Both of which were in Pride anyway. Kinda ****s your whole point up. Chuck couldn't even beat a top 5 fighter in Pride in the 2003 GP.

Lest we forget Sakuraba winning a UFC tournament. Or Randleman and Coleman winning UFC titles and never having held one in Pride. Or let's not forget Anderson going 3-2 in Pride and dominating the UFC.

There are many different facts that discredit each argument. The fact is, most of these guys have been through too many wars. Period.

I like how you don't count anything that is contrary to your argument.

You conveniently left the Nogueira brothers off your list.

Henderson has had succes. God forbid he not beat the 2 best in the world in each weight division. Both of which were in Pride anyway. Kinda ****s your whole point up. Chuck couldn't even beat a top 5 fighter in Pride in the 2003 GP.

Lest we forget Sakuraba winning a UFC tournament. Or Randleman and Coleman winning UFC titles and never having held one in Pride. Or let's not forget Anderson going 3-2 in Pride and dominating the UFC.

There are many different facts that discredit each argument. The fact is' date=' most of these guys have been through too many wars. Period.[/quote']

so you agree with me then that not many pride fighters (and im talking about since the ufc brought pride) have made a successful transition?

big nog is 2-1 lil nog is 1-0 hardly dominating

hendersons big win was over a TUF winner and imo franklin did beat hendo

there are more failures then success stories

so you agree with me then that not many pride fighters (and im talking about since the ufc brought pride) have made a successful transition?

What you're telling me is that Henderson is not successful in the UFC because he is 0-2 against fighters from Pride and 3-0 against UFC fighters. Which leads to success stories for 2 others from Pride.

I didn't say Big Nog was dominating. But he isn't unsuccessful. He is a former UFC champion (interim or not).

Lil Nog destroyed a previously unbeaten UFC fighter.

Randleman and Coleman both win titles in the UFC. Never in Pride.

Chuck get's beaten into submission by a guy who wasn't even the champ in Pride.

Andy goes 3-2 in Pride and 10-0 in the UFC.

There are plenty of sides to both argument and it'll be a never ending loop of debates. But UFC fighters didn't fair well in Pride, either. People like Nog and Wandy have been in wars. If you can't at least attest to that you have no business arguing this.

Why all the hate on Pride fighters? ****ing spoiled little TUF noobs have no respect for the organization or fighters who paved the way for MMA straight into your television. Grow up. These dudes put their body through hell and back in wars you would never experience even through playing your UFC Undisputed online and this is what they get in return?You get no credit, nor pride, nor honor, nor superiority for your favorite fighters/organization having success. You had nothing to do with it, stop fighting tooth and nail to give yourself some false sense of superiority because of it.

a cage is very very differnt then a ring... you have to train rather differnt... also keep in mind Japanese fans are very very respectful so they are silent during the fights so the fighters can concentrate and easily hear their corners... US fans completely lack that kind of respect

What you're telling me is that Henderson is not successful in the UFC because he is 0-2 against fighters from Pride and 3-0 against UFC fighters. Which leads to success stories for 2 others from Pride.

I didn't say Big Nog was dominating. But he isn't unsuccessful. He is a former UFC champion (interim or not).

There are plenty of sides to both argument and it'll be a never ending loop of debates. But UFC fighters didn't fair well in Pride' date=' either. People like Nog and Wandy have been in wars. If you can't at least attest to that you have no business arguing this.

Why all the hate on Pride fighters? ****ing spoiled little TUF noobs have no respect for the organization or fighters who paved the way for MMA straight into your television. Grow up. These dudes put their body through hell and back in wars you would never experience even through playing your UFC Undisputed online and this is what they get in return?You get no credit, nor pride, nor honor, nor superiority for your favorite fighters/organization having success. You had nothing to do with it, stop fighting tooth and nail to give yourself some false sense of superiority because of it.[/quote']

Thats why ur my pick 4 most respected forum member, keep feeding the knowledge. lol

There are plenty of sides to both argument and it'll be a never ending loop of debates. But UFC fighters didn't fair well in Pride' date=' either. People like Nog and Wandy have been in wars. If you can't at least attest to that you have no business arguing this.

Why all the hate on Pride fighters? ****ing spoiled little TUF noobs have no respect for the organization or fighters who paved the way for MMA straight into your television. Grow up. These dudes put their body through hell and back in wars you would never experience even through playing your UFC Undisputed online and this is what they get in return?You get no credit, nor pride, nor honor, nor superiority for your favorite fighters/organization having success. You had nothing to do with it, stop fighting tooth and nail to give yourself some false sense of superiority because of it.[/quote']

Very well said. +1

a cage is very very differnt then a ring... you have to train rather differnt... also keep in mind Japanese fans are very very respectful so they are silent during the fights so the fighters can concentrate and easily hear their corners... US fans completely lack that kind of respect

The Japanese fans are years ahead of the US fans. They were reacting when a fighter got back to guard while the US fans were booing whenever a fight hit the ground.

actually big nog i 3-1 a 75% succes rate in the octagon beating two former champions and losing one fight where he was ill going into it.

lil nog beat a top contender in his debut and not only beat him but destroyed him. admittidley i cant say he is dominating yet but he is a lot closer to being dominant at this moment in time tha he is to being unsuccesful in the ufc...

btw sorry Alpha_Omega I responded before reading on so didnt see that you had already posted the same thing and then some

this^^

The Japanese fans are years ahead of the US fans. They were reacting when a fighter got back to guard while the US fans were booing whenever a fight hit the ground.

and this^

Don't fall into this trap. Shogun is the real deal. PROVEN. The way he slid in and smashed Chuck before he even saw him move, was awesome. The Machida fight was basically a better performance by Shogun than Machida, but it really only showed in the last 2 rounds where it counts, on the scorecards. Too bad. He still kicked a LOT of **** and raised my respect-o-bar for his skills.

He could have won that fight with a different strategy. And Dana gave him 250,000 bucks. AND they paid the tax on that too. 250k take home pay. I think you could say that counts as "MADE IT" in the UFC, no ? :D

MACHIDA is no ordinary fighter, still unbeaten shows it. Watch his early fights in K-1 and Jungle Fight, have a hearty lol at his sensei belting him after some of the fights because he won too easy :P

MACHIDA is no ordinary fighter' date=' still unbeaten shows it. Watch his early fights in K-1 and Jungle Fight, have a hearty lol at his sensei belting him after some of the fights because he won too easy :P[/quote']

are you talking about Inoki?

The fact remains, and this is due more to financial issues than anything else, back in the day PRIDE had the best fighters period. Most of the UFC roster during PRIDE's best days was made up of guys who couldn't cut it in PRIDE. PRIDE was a much larger promotion, and hence paid much better, so all the world's best fighters were there.

I chalk up the difficult transition for PRIDE guys more to the change in fighting surface, the differences between the ring and octagon, and the rules changes, than I do to any of the fighters being past their prime or anything like that. This is why in general the transition has favored grapplers more than strikers. The octagon is designed to favor grapplers and the ring favors strikers.

A. Silva did well due to his experience in the cage at Cage Rage.

Rampage did well because he has been training in England in a cage for years.

Wandi has had his surgeries, got his breathing/seeing issues fixed, and has had over a year now of training in the octagon, I believe his rebirth at 185 is going to rock the world, and he will tear Bisping's lower jaw off and beat everyone in RoughHouse to death with it!

All the fighters had a rough transition but now that there has been time to train in octagons and make the necessary adjustments the resurgance of PRIDE FC champs is coming!

Archived