Finally I'm in the forum. MACHIDA vs SHOGUN & other fights..

goldnuts

Hi all,

Sorry to beat a dead horse but wanted to get my opinion heard. So I gave up on the forum sending me my password (doesn't work) and got a clique one. That works of course :P

Ok so Machida vs Shogun. I have watched this fight so many times I am sick of every word the commentators say

Rd 1 clearly Machida

Rd 2 just Machida

Rd 3 just Machida

Rd 4 clearly Shogun

Rd 5 clearly Shogun

It doesn't matter how much Lyoto got hurt. Points are points. Shogun made the mistake of taking his time TOO much. He could have pinched round 2 easily and it was his belt.

Lyoto was fairly well prepared for Shogun but saw some nasty attacks. However if you watch the whole fight especially the 3rd round, watch every exchange and count "light" or "heavy" blow landed, and see whos in front as the clock ticks away. Take notes of other things like takedowns, who is pressing forward and when, and Machida simply wins the round. He was in front with 30 seconds to go, AND put in that big flurry of punches and kicks. He clearly won that exchange. If I'm wrong and he was behind, that flurry won him the match.

He stuffed every takedown which was also convincing.

Now onto MIR. I was so impressed with his conditioning, he's rising right to the top of my heavyweight sheet

Mir

Carwin

Velasquez

Lesnar

Dos Santos

Duffee

I can't really separate the top 3, even Dos Santos could be up there or Duffee. Lesnar will be finished after he meets Mir again. Mir has all the class, Brock just has size and wrestling. I think even Velasquez has to go on top of Brock. I think he will slowly build up some weight too as he approaches a title shot. His wrestling is incredible, the whole reason he doesn't get big power on a lot of punches is because he WILL NOT GIVE up that dominant positioning. VERY SMART. Very fast to reposition as the opponent tries things. This guy is my favourite fighter. I want to see him v Mir after the rest get submitted TKO's or decisioned.

Shane Carwin.. deadly power, can wrestle.. he was my #1 but we will have to see what he does vs the killer new Mir. I don't think he can handle it. Frank Mir studies fighters very well, which could be his strongest point (ok and those submissions)

Can't believe noone mentions Todd Duffee at all ! he hardly even hit that guy and dropped him hard. He moves extremely well, is dedicated, damn fit clearly can go a few rounds.. and hits bloody hard and fast. I was most impressed

Hell of a lot of depth in there. Way to go UFC keep it up !

Will be watching Cain vs Nog soon live on ONE HD here in Australia. Props to Dana and ONE for sorting this ! :D you know we'll pay next time ! and the time after that..

Ahh well, poll it please. Who's the best ? who do you think will make 2010 his year ?

I loved Mir's comment about meeting Brock again

"Get healthy so that I can redeem myself and face you. I will hurt you and that will be the last of it."

Frank Mir will chokeslam KO Brock and Forrest Griffin will also drop to Middleweight and get his revenge on Anderson Silva.

Haha but in all honesty, Frank Mir is a lot bigger now so he will be a lot slower and Brock will have an even easier time putting him on his back and murdering him.

Haha but in all honesty' date=' Frank Mir is a lot bigger now so he will be a lot slower and Brock will have an even easier time putting him on his back and murdering him.[/quote']

i haven't seen enough of mir to agree with this. of course his size is going to affect his speed, but certainly he must know that and is training to fix it. he didn't seem too slow in the kongo fight, but then again he didn't do much either.

Sorry, I think big Nog has had his time. I put him 5-7th. These intense "new" fighters to the divison like Velasquez, the new Mir, Carwin, Dos Santos, Duffee..

What a lineup for Brock to try to beat with just (some) size, wrestling, and big **** fists. Sorry, he's gone soon. As I said, I believe Mir has too much talent standing up, and once they clinch. 3rd time will be the charm, finish him decisively

VERY tough to put anyone of the 7 mentioned on top. But I know Nog won't be winning the belt. The rest I all give their chance, they all bring some top skills. We've seen one matchup out of the lot, twice, and thats IT. We need to see Mir v Carwin, Velasquez v Nog, and then Duffee vs someone decent. Then we will have a much clearer view of the situation..

My gut says Velasquez will go all the way unbeaten. My head says Mir or Carwin, with Dos Santos the smokey. Very impressed with how he made Yvel look POOR.

How about Dos Santos vs Duffee ? the only 2 left.. I wouldn't know which way to go on that one. Dos Santos would have to be the bookies favourite but I would go with Duffee and his striking technique & footwork. Also he is conditioned as anyone you'll see. Have seen bugger all of him though ! 7 seconds lol. Dos Santos seems great in both of those areas as well of course. I think its a date.

Cain is overhyped. He's undefeated but against who? Kongo? Like that really matters. His explosiveness and good wrestling might be tough for Nog, but how many times has that been said? I'm not syaing this is an easy fight for Big Nog, but it certianly isn't anything new. If Cain can beat Big Nog then I give him credit and he should deff have a title shot.

Good point' date=' big Nog or Brock are the only 2 valid options in my opinion..[/quote']

Interesting. Meet you back here in 6 months :) I certainly don't discount Brock, but I do Nog. Little Nog was damn impressive btw.

You're pretty bad at scoring fights.

So are the judges then. 2 out of 3 scored it exactly the same as me, 10-9, 10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 9-10.

BTW how many times have you watched the fight closely ? more than once I hope. If not, don't even bother. I remember watching the fight live and thinking, Machida has lost but its close. But on the tape round 3 is the only one that matters, so do yourself a favour..

Oh and I scored off the replays, so spare a thought for the judges ! bloody tough job. Would be interested to know what monitors and viewing angles they have. Surely it can't just be a ringside spot obscured by everything. Maybe just maybe they know better than you ;)

Cain is overhyped. He's undefeated but against who? Kongo? Like that really matters. His explosiveness and good wrestling might be tough for Nog' date=' but how many times has that been said? I'm not syaing this is an easy fight for Big Nog, but it certianly isn't anything new. If Cain can beat Big Nog then I give him credit and he should deff have a title shot.[/quote']

I believe his attention to detail and positioning will give him the edge. Just has to train for dodging those submission attempts and the big left hand

Oh yeah, MIR beat ONLY Kongo remember :P just to put things into perspective. The poor guy couldn't move. Just like Rothwell. In the end you have to give the fight to the controller of the fight, even if they do not do significant damage. He had control, and eventually if there were no time limits, he would most surely win. See the point ?

We still need more info to make an educated opinion. Such as how they judge, and what angles they have available. Do they have slowmo's ? Do they have time to check them during rounds and after the match and consult their notes ? how much time ?? ;)

One thing's for sure. Both are worthy champions.

Rematch will be a knockout for one of them ?

shogun won 3 rounds against machida or 4 not sure.

And velasquez will lose to nogueira.

Brock will lose to interim champion.

Jds will win his next opponent and face nogueira for championship match.

Either one will win the hw championship.

thanks for that update on the future miss cleo..........guess now we all just save our money and not watch the ppvs because now we all know the outcome of every fight.........

no sh*t lol everyone knows the judges suck at what they do

iVE BEEN TO MANY MMA EVENTS AND HONESTLY, ITS OFTER DIFFICULT TO GET A GOOD VIEW OF WHATS GOING ON.. FOR THIS REASON ALONE, THE JUDGED MUST BE OFFERED A WAY TO SEE THE FIGHT IN THE SAME WAY WE THE VIEWERS ARE ABLE TO SEE IT.........BUT EVEN THEN, WE WILL NEVER ALL AGREE ON WHO WINS EVERY FIGHT

Interesting. Meet you back here in 6 months :) I certainly don't discount Brock' date=' but I do Nog. Little Nog was damn impressive btw.

So are the judges then. 2 out of 3 scored it exactly the same as me, 10-9, 10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 9-10.

BTW how many times have you watched the fight closely ? more than once I hope. If not, don't even bother. I remember watching the fight live and thinking, Machida has lost but its close. But on the tape round 3 is the only one that matters, so do yourself a favour..

Oh and I scored off the replays, so spare a thought for the judges ! bloody tough job. Would be interested to know what monitors and viewing angles they have. Surely it can't just be a ringside spot obscured by everything. Maybe just maybe they know better than you ;)[/quote']

Actually, the judges are not offered monitors to view the fights when their actual view becomes obstructed..........This is something i hope changes in the future...

K well that is bloody stupid. The DVD they sell us has about 8 angles including top down

I'd like to see Machida vs Shogun from every angle at once. Maybe if they saw that they would have given him the 3rd round ! who knows its in the books now.

UFC is best. But we definitely need the equivalent of a 3rd umpire. Those judges should have every angle available to make an informed decision.

Feeling disappointed now :(

K well that is bloody stupid. The DVD they sell us has about 8 angles including top down

I'd like to see Machida vs Shogun from every angle at once. Maybe if they saw that they would have given him the 3rd round ! who knows its in the books now.

UFC is best. But we definitely need the equivalent of a 3rd umpire. Those judges should have every angle available to make an informed decision.

Feeling disappointed now :(

No one is arguing saying that Machida didn't win the 3rd round... hell its the ONLY round that he without a doubt won.

Oh and to the person on the last page who said that JDS and Nog will fight soon, you're an idiot.

You put Duffee on the poll but not big nog? That's a fail right there. Out of the choices here I'll go with Dos Santos, but really I would put big nog. I hope he beats Cain, Mir beats Carwin and if Brock is still pooping in a bag threw a tube they have a rematch.

iVE BEEN TO MANY MMA EVENTS AND HONESTLY' date=' ITS OFTER DIFFICULT TO GET A GOOD VIEW OF WHATS GOING ON.. FOR THIS REASON ALONE, THE JUDGED MUST BE OFFERED A WAY TO SEE THE FIGHT IN THE SAME WAY WE THE VIEWERS ARE ABLE TO SEE IT.........BUT EVEN THEN, WE WILL NEVER ALL AGREE ON WHO WINS EVERY FIGHT[/quote']

they were using an overhead camera system similiar to what the NFL uses over the field.

when the Undisputed game was released the first event after the relase featured a camera taping from above the octagon not just ringside, never saw it after that.

if there were to be an Above 360' degree camera maybe they could view more angles and such.

• 1 month later...

Archived