What is an "all American"?

rne

Not being a US resident I have a question that I hope some of the US people can answer.

The commentators regularly refer to some fighters as ?all American?. As they never get described as part American part Chinese, it seems this has nothing to do with nationality, so could someone explain to me what this does refer to please?

Thanks.

Actually it is for basically every extra curricular type of activities at the collegiate/Amatuer level. Hell we even have "All American" chess, badminton, and debaters!

It is best decribed as an "All Star" team at the collegiate level. For most sports the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletics Association) committee for that sport will pick the top performers in each position, weight class, or particular discipline. I am not sure what the particular requirements are for wrasslers but as many "All Americans" as we hear about in MMA it can't be all that difficult.

This is why you have Lesnar with 3 AA selections, and 1 national championship, or Koschek with 4 AA selections but I believe 0 national championships. Being an all American does not necessarily translate into being a National Champion. Honestly being an All American doesn't necessarily mean you are that good, but your school has good lobbyists and you have a big rep in the sport.

We also do this thing in High school called "Who's Who Among American High School Students", which is the academic equivalent of a collegiate All American in athletics, except the parents pay to put the children on the list. They both hold about the same amount of water for me.

Actually it is for basically every extra curricular type of activities at the collegiate/Amatuer level. Hell we even have "All American" chess' date=' badminton, and debaters!

It is best decribed as an "All Star" team at the collegiate level. For most sports the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletics Association) committee for that sport will pick the top performers in each position, weight class, or particular discipline. [b']I am not sure what the particular requirements are for wrasslers but as many "All Americans" as we hear about in MMA it can't be all that difficult.

This is why you have Lesnar with 3 AA selections, and 1 national championship, or Koschek with 4 AA selections but I believe 0 national championships.[/b] Being an all American does not necessarily translate into being a National Champion. Honestly being an All American doesn't necessarily mean you are that good, but your school has good lobbyists and you have a big rep in the sport.

We also do this thing in High school called "Who's Who Among American High School Students", which is the academic equivalent of a collegiate All American in athletics, except the parents pay to put the children on the list. They both hold about the same amount of water for me.

You have no clue You have to earn it to be an All-American, no one votes for wrestling All-Americans. Top 8 in the country in each weight in the National Championships. You know nothing about college wrestling. You just sound ignorant. lol Your statement holds no water with anyone.

You have no clue You have to earn it to be an All-American' date=' no one votes for wrestling All-Americans. Top 8 in the country in each weight in the National Championships. [b']You know nothing about college wrestling[/b]. You just sound ignorant. lol Your statement holds no water with anyone.

As I made pretty clear in my post! Wow just jump at the oppurtunity to flame and insult, does it make you feel special? And since you are such an expert or whatever, how about some factual evidence? How did you reach this conclusion? Just curious if this is something you really know or if it is something you heard or read previously.

I do know that there are selection committees for basketball and football All Americans, and it is supposed to be based on merits on the field but it gets politicized quite often and the accolades are not always deserved.

As I made pretty clear in my post! Wow just jump at the oppurtunity to flame and insult' date=' does it make you feel special? And since you are such an expert or whatever, how about some factual evidence? How did you reach this conclusion? Just curious if this is something you really know or if it is something you heard or read previously.

I do know that there are selection committees for basketball and football All Americans, and it is supposed to be based on merits on the field but it gets politicized quite often and the accolades are not always deserved.[/quote']

I stated this above,,,and it is factual...I was an all american

As I made pretty clear in my post! Wow just jump at the oppurtunity to flame and insult' date=' does it make you feel special? And since you are such an expert or whatever, how about some factual evidence? How did you reach this conclusion? Just curious if this is something you really know or if it is something you heard or read previously.

I do know that there are selection committees for basketball and football All Americans, and it is supposed to be based on merits on the field but it gets politicized quite often and the accolades are not always deserved.[/quote']

When you come out with such a strong opinion about something and only state false information, you sound like an idiot. I wrestled at the NCAA DIV I level. Its something I know and is a fact. You know nothing about it so stop commenting on the subject.

When you come out with such a strong opinion about something and only state false information' date=' you sound like an idiot. I wrestled at the NCAA DIV I level. Its something I know and is a fact. You know nothing about it so stop commenting on the subject.[/quote']

Christ dude give it a rest! I made it pretty damm clear that I wasn't sure what the exact requirements for wrassling All Americans didn't I? The guy asked what "All American" meant and I relayed what little I knew of the matter. "All American" does not only apply to wrestling after all.

And I am pretty sure I can, and will continue to, comment on anything I want!

I stated this above' date=',,and it is factual...I was an all american[/quote']

Well good, at least that process makes more sense than the football/basketball selection process.

But one question, does this come from your final ranking in one national tournament or is it an accumulation of scores from several? Just curious to the process now.

Not being a US resident I have a question that I hope some of the US people can answer.

The commentators regularly refer to some fighters as ?all American?. As they never get described as part American part Chinese' date=' it seems this has nothing to do with nationality, so could someone explain to me what this does refer to please?

Thanks.[/quote']

it means your one of the best players in your college sport basically.

You have no clue You have to earn it to be an All-American' date=' no one votes for wrestling All-Americans. Top 8 in the country in each weight in the National Championships. You know nothing about college wrestling. You just sound ignorant. lol Your statement holds no water with anyone.[/quote']

lol Im canadian and was about to lay the law down cause he made NO sense.

to be honoured as "All Americn Wrestler" at the minimum they have be drawn from the U.S, and compete on the amateur level, they also have to keep a qualifying GPA, from close friends in the states this is what I've learned is the basis to being All American whether competing in NCAA, NCWA, NJCAA, NAIA, or any national competition or any combination thereof.

You have no clue You have to earn it to be an All-American' date=' no one votes for wrestling All-Americans. Top 8 in the country in each weight in the National Championships. You know nothing about college wrestling. You just sound ignorant. lol Your statement holds no water with anyone.[/quote']

Would it have killed you to just say , "no i think your mistaken, this is how its recieved" .. no no cant do that, Ya have to try and belittle him or attempt to, guess you've never been wrong in your 15 yrs of life (laughs) , try and have a little etiquette when deeming someone that they've made a mistake, because in all honesty, his post was good even if it was off, it is yours that sounds ignorant.

When you come out with such a strong opinion about something and only state false information' date=' you sound like an idiot. I wrestled at the NCAA DIV I level. Its something I know and is a fact. You know nothing about it so stop commenting on the subject.[/quote']

Does this mean your an "all American" at posting replies? lmao

to be honoured as "All Americn Wrestler" at the minimum they have be drawn from the U.S' date=' and compete on the amateur level, they also have to keep a qualifying GPA, from close friends in the states this is what I've learned is the basis to being All American whether competing in NCAA, NCWA, NJCAA, NAIA, or any national competition or any combination thereof.[/quote']

the gpa thing you may be thinking academic all-american but the ncaa rules do dictate that all student athletes must have a 2.0 gpa in order to be elgible to play sports.

Well good' date=' at least that process makes more sense than the football/basketball selection process.

But one question, does this come from your final ranking in one national tournament or is it an accumulation of scores from several? Just curious to the process now.[/quote']

There is a national tournament at the end of the season. You must qualify for it my placing in your conference tournament and then you need to place in the top 8 to be deemed all american.

the gpa thing you may be thinking academic all-american but the ncaa rules do dictate that all student athletes must have a 2.0 gpa in order to be elgible to play sports.

so NCAA requires that standard GPA?

Im Canadian so are system works way different. A few buds moved to the states for college so I've got some knowledge.

thanks for the clarity :D

Christ dude give it a rest! I made it pretty damm clear that I wasn't sure what the exact requirements for wrassling All Americans didn't I? The guy asked what "All American" meant and I relayed what little I knew of the matter. "All American" does not only apply to wrestling after all.

And I am pretty sure I can' date=' and will continue to, comment on anything I want![/quote']

Next time research before you spout off like you know something.

Archived