Daley: I'll never fight my mate Dan

BKCS

PAUL "Semtex" Daley has ruled out any chance of fighting fellow Nottingham star Dan Hardy in the UFC.

Hardy tackles welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre for the title in late March and Daley is on course to challenge the winner.

"It's not going to happen. Never," said Daley.

"Dan and I train together and have been best mates for eight years. No way do I want to fight him. And Dan feels the same way.

"I will fight anyone the UFC put in front of me ? but not Dan. What would be the point?"

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/sport/Daley-ll-fight-mate-Dan/article-1703010-detail/article.html

Yeah, Dan's said this a few times. I guess this is just confirmation. They always seem like close friends, so I never thought we'd see a Chuck and Tito situation arising.

I guess you could say its a shame, but I think the two of them have too much respect for each others striking to make a good fight anyway.

I know this has been said before but as far as i'm concerned if he doesn't want to fight than time for another career. Who cares if he's your friend. If you both can't respect that you are WORKING (i.e. performing a task and receiving pay to do as such) for the UFC and refuse to do your job than i'm sure there are others that will be glad to take your place.

I know this has been said before but as far as i'm concerned if he doesn't want to fight than time for another career. Who cares if he's your friend. If you both can't respect that you are WORKING (i.e. performing a task and receiving pay to do as such) for the UFC and refuse to do your job than i'm sure there are others that will be glad to take your place.

So Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida should quit and find different careers too? What about Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch? Shogun Rua and Wanderlei Silva? Or any other fighters who've said that they don't want to fight their friends.

I understand the sentiment but I wonder if fighter that say stuff like this realize how much it could limit their careers. Silva doesn't need to fight Machida. He already holds the MW belt there is no burning need to have the LHW one. Daley is an up and comer. Why limit yourself.

So Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida should quit and find different careers too? What about Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch? Shogun Rua and Wanderlei Silva? Or any other fighters who've said that they don't want to fight their friends.

No, what they SHOULD do is understand that in competition you compete against your friends sometimes and if you're friends don't remain your friends after competition chances are they weren't good friends anyway;)

I thought management in the UFC more or less declared that they weren't going to stand for this "I'm not going to fight such and such" any longer???

No' date=' what they SHOULD do is understand that in competition you compete against your friends sometimes and if you're friends don't remain your friends after competition chances are they weren't good friends anyway;)

I thought management in the UFC more or less declared that they weren't going to stand for this "I'm not going to fight such and such" any longer???[/quote']

Your judgement is effected in fights against your friends, you won't have the same killer instinct against a friend.

Just to be able to fight you have to be able to get yourself in a certain mindset that you are going out to cause physical harm to another human being, which to many people who have never been in a fight past junior high school should be easy, but it is not. The fight game, as Tim Sylvia once put it so eloquently, is 90% half mental.

This isn't Magic and Bird playing hoops, best friends off court but trying to kill each other on it. or Favre/Sapp, or Russel/Chamberlain.

I could never fight a friend, or partner, with the intent to harm him, no matter what you were paying me. And that intent is very important to a successful and entertaining fight.

I understand the sentiment but I wonder if fighter that say stuff like this realize how much it could limit their careers. Silva doesn't need to fight Machida. He already holds the MW belt there is no burning need to have the LHW one. Daley is an up and comer. Why limit yourself.

EXACTLY, who is Daley anyway and why is he acting like he should be dictating the terms of his fights? If Hardy beats GSP (which isn't going to happen most likely) what should Daley do just accept not fighting the champ? So the UFC should just give Daley fights in which he wins but keep him away from Hardey the champion (once again if he beat GSP and defended his title multiple times). That's grounds for being excused from the division as far as I'm concerned.

I understand the points you all bring up but I think in this instance i'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you.

People don't die in the UFC this is not War. You have the same potential to get hurt against "your friend" as you do your other competition.

EXACTLY' date=' who is Daley anyway and why is he acting like he should be dictating the terms of his fights? If Hardy beats GSP (which isn't going to happen most likely) what should Daley do just accept not fighting the champ? So the UFC should just give Daley fights in which he wins but keep him away from Hardey the champion (once again if he beat GSP and defended his title multiple times). That's grounds for being excused from the division as far as I'm concerned.[/quote']

Why you *****ing about this when Anderson Silva could easily go up to LHW and take the belt from Machida but isn't.

No' date=' what they SHOULD do is understand that in competition you compete against your friends sometimes and if you're friends don't remain your friends after competition chances are they weren't good friends anyway;)

I thought management in the UFC more or less declared that they weren't going to stand for this "I'm not going to fight such and such" any longer???[/quote']

It seems silly considering that fighters are going to train with other fighters so inevitably your training partner could very easily become your next opponent. Fans and fighters having been trying to show people that MMA is a sport and not a streetfight. This kind of attitude contradicts that message and hurts the sport IMO.

EXACTLY' date=' who is Daley anyway and why is he acting like he should be dictating the terms of his fights? If Hardy beats GSP (which isn't going to happen most likely) what should Daley do just accept not fighting the champ? So the UFC should just give Daley fights in which he wins but keep him away from Hardey the champion (once again if he beat GSP and defended his title multiple times). That's grounds for being excused from the division as far as I'm concerned.

I understand the points you all bring up but I think in this instance i'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you.

People don't die in the UFC this is not War. You have the same potential to get hurt against "your friend" as you do your other competition.[/quote']

Yup. Say by some stretch of the imagination Hardy wins and goes on to defend a couple times. With that comment Daley relegates himself to a long time as gate keeper or having to move up to MW. Maybe I'm just an ****** but personally I don't like anyone enough to do that were I in his position.

Why you *****ing about this when Anderson Silva could easily go up to LHW and take the belt from Machida but isn't.

This is exactly why I don't like this "i won't fight friends b.s.". Because people will use that as an excuse for things like why Silva isn't the LHW champ. Silva isn't the LHW champ because he's only fought two (maybe 3 I can't remember) in the division and those two do not project you toward a title shot in the LHW division.

in certain situations it shouldnt happen, if they did fight it wouldn't hold any truth for any matter, UK fighters should be seperated to give them their own limelight in the sport at the moment, pit them against other nationalities the UK needs its superstars to keep growing.

people are upset about Silva not fighting Machida and vice versa because it would actually answer something MMA fans are dieing to know.

personally I have wanted to see GSP vs Marquardt for years now! I think friends fighting would make a damn exciting and very technical battle, battle of the minds so to speak when you fight a close friend.

unless a match-up between two friends has benefits for both and one won't take a dive in rankings, we won't see such match-ups happening.

if someone paid me, id LOVE to fight my friends, it would be great bonding, thats just me.

in certain situations it shouldnt happen' date=' if they did fight it wouldn't hold any truth for any matter, UK fighters should be seperated to give them their own limelight in the sport at the moment, pit them against other nationalities the UK needs its superstars to keep growing.

people are upset about Silva not fighting Machida and vice versa because it would actually answer something MMA fans are dieing to know.

personally I have wanted to see GSP vs Marquardt for years now! I think friends fighting would make a damn exciting and very technical battle, battle of the minds so to speak when you fight a close friend.

unless a match-up between two friends has benefits for both and one won't take a dive in rankings, we won't see such match-ups happening.

[b']

if someone paid me, id LOVE to fight my friends, it would be great bonding, thats just me[/b].

not to be an ****** or anything but that sounds just a little bit gay! lmao, just saying....

If there training together' date=' fighting out of the same camp, on the same fight team it seems to me this could cause a problem in their respective training camp.[/quote']

People with the best training camps and training partners are going to be the best fighters. That is why we see this happening more and more these days with Black House, Greg Jackson, American Top Team, AKA etc.

If friends don't want to fight then fine, but Anderson SIlva should not fight at 205 unitl machida loses the belt. Otherwise he is potentially taking out contenders for Machida.

At WW you have three guys Swick, Koschek, and Fitch not fighting each other. None of them are beating GSP, but same thing they are just holding back the division.

People with the best training camps and training partners are going to be the best fighters. That is why we see this happening more and more these days with Black House' date=' Greg Jackson, American Top Team, AKA etc.

If friends don't want to fight then fine, but Anderson SIlva should not fight at 205 unitl machida loses the belt. Otherwise he is potentially taking out contenders for Machida.

At WW you have three guys Swick, Koschek, and Fitch not fighting each other. None of them are beating GSP, but same thing they are just holding back the division.[/quote']

I see your point and really dont know why Silva is taking fights at 205 if he's not interested in the belt so no it doesnt make sense.

EXACTLY' date=' who is Daley anyway and why is he acting like he should be dictating the terms of his fights? If Hardy beats GSP (which isn't going to happen most likely) what should Daley do just accept not fighting the champ? So the UFC should just give Daley fights in which he wins but keep him away from Hardey the champion (once again if he beat GSP and defended his title multiple times). That's grounds for being excused from the division as far as I'm concerned.

People don't die in the UFC this is not War. You have the same potential to get hurt against "your friend" as you do your other competition.[/quote']

I agree completely. This is thier JOB. You may not like everything about your job, but if you don't do it, then you get fired. Why should it be any different for fighters? If Daley winds up the number 1 contender, then who the hell fights for the title...the number 3 or 3 contender? That makes no sense. If he refuses to fight, then he should get dropped to about number 10 in the rankings and have to fight his way back up.

I'm quite fine with guys who are good friends / constant training partners NOT fighting each other. The Team Rough House boys are super-tight, and that solidarity is setting them in good stead as they each start to climb the ranks in the UFC.

Rashad has said he woukldn't fight Jardine as it would destroy their training relationship (not to mention their friendship) as you cannot give the same support in training to a guy who you fear in the back of your mind, might be an opponent one day.

You COULD say it's unprofessional to refuse a fight on the basis on 'team-mateness' but I reckon the nature of the training for the sport, and the potential vendettas etc. which can result (i.e- Thiago Silva vs. Jacksons' and the current AKA vs. Rough House) make such concerns second rate.

Also, as Chuck & Tito showed, training partners fall out, and then you have the possibility of a very heated match...

some of you guys need to understand what it is to be training partners.

These guys shared pain, sweat and blood together for several years.

If you think these fighters need to shut up and just fight their friends anyways because it's their JOB, you probably never seriously trained any combat art. OR even sadder, you probably don't have a real friend.

if you would go to the gym and bang with the same guys for a few months you would understand the bonds that it creates with your training partners. these guys you can trust them and count on them. heck, you let them grab your arm and twist it really hard but you trust them, you know they won't break it.

anybody that trains seriously will agree with me.

These guys shared pain' date=' sweat and blood together for several years.

If you think these fighters need to shut up and just fight their friends anyways because it's their JOB, you probably never seriously trained any combat art. OR even sadder, you probably don't have a real friend.

if you would go to the gym and bang with the same guys for a few months you would understand the bonds that it creates with your training partners. these guys you can trust them and count on them. heck, you let them grab your arm and twist it really hard but you trust them, you know they won't break it.

anybody that trains seriously will agree with me.[/quote']

+1

Poppa Machida has stated he thinks Silva and Machida need to fight to see who is the best. It's not a fight they particularly look forward to but he understands the game.

DW might have a big mouth but I have zero doubt that Lorenzo will give these fighters an ultimatum if a fight needs to happen between two "friends" and they refuse because he doesn't say things in the media that he doesn't mean 100%.

There's not a fighter on the roster with the power to dictate what will and will not happen in this company. These friends better start changing weight classes or something.

Cindy

I understand your point of view but what these fighters need to understand is that when you sign with the UFC, you are subject to fight whomever shares your weight class and if that's going to be an issue then THAT'S the time to make a professional choice.

Maybe they need to change camps or weight classes if they don't want to fight their "friends," or simply NOT sign on the dotted line.

It's a slippery slope but Zuffa owns the resort, not the athletes. This is a professional sport and they need to act like it.

But I do see your point=)

Cindy

Pfffft. Man up nancy. Put your emotions to the side, that's your first problem. There's no room for this kind of picking and choosing - on any level. Quit trying to rationalize it with deep emotions, and man the f up.

i really hope that zuffa implements putting something into thier contracts when they sign. the number of people refusing to fight other guys is getting out of hand. guys that have only had 2 ufc fights are now trying to dictate what they will do. its rediculous.this is a sport, not an angry street fight. if simply competing against a "friend" will destroy the friendship, that says alot about how great of friends you were in the first place.

Archived