Diego sanchez contemplating return to 170?

The_Power

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10512&zoneid=13

Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez has heavy things weighing on his mind.

Heavy in the sense of what weight class he will next compete in. The New Mexico native on Sunday night left a somewhat cryptic message via his Facebook page stating "going back up to 170."

When contacted by MMAWeekly.com, Jeff Clark, Sanchez's manager, indicated that there has been no official decision made at this time about what weight class he will compete in next.

Before dropping to 155 pounds for his last three fights, Sanchez had a very successful career at welterweight, earning a mark of 7-2 overall with his only losses coming at the hands of top five fighters Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck.

Following a win over Luigi Fioravanti in June 2008, Sanchez officially made the move to the lightweight division where he picked up wins over Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida. The former Greg Jackson disciple suffered his first loss at 155 pounds last month when he was stopped by current lightweight champion B.J. Penn in a title bout at UFC 107.

While no decision has been made, it's no secret that Sanchez was definitely a big lightweight fighter, thus making weight became a tougher prospect just based on size alone.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more on this story as it develops.

No, no, no...BIG NO!!! Dana, don't let Diego move to the WWD until he fights Kenny Florian. This is the fight fans wanna see. We wanna see Kenny avenging his loss. That's why Diego wants to move, he wants to save himself the embarrassment of getting his lights knocked out or submitted by kenny. I guess the nightmare now has a nightmare of his own. The only way I'd allow Diego to move to WW is if he gets to fight Thiago Alves first. I guess that would compensate not seeing him fight Florian. Alright suckers! Peace out! MFs = My Friends! LOL

By the way, it's funny how Diego's "YESSS" got him nowhere. He didn't even crack the top 10 lightweights on the MMAWeekly.com website. It sucks. I think he's arrogance got him screwed up -- I hope BJ's beating humble Diego a little bit or else, he'll be living he's own "YESS CICI DREAMY LIFE" of being an "uncrowned champion." Wake up Diego!

id definitly like to see alves ve sanchez

I am a Bj Penn fan and still i was feeling sry for sanchez.I mean his face was a mess.

I don't think Diego 'yes' Sanchez could beat Alves in his firs 170 fight.After one or two fights yes yes i want to see this but i'm afraid Diego will have to win by ground and pound not because i see in Alves a skilled striker but he is a puncher at 170,Diego is not so powerful and Alves don't have Bj's defense on the takedowns.

And i hope Diego will improve after the beating Bj give him and improve his striking instead of falling into a depression because i start to like this guy...only if he stop to be to overconfident and stop the yes thing.I think is enough with the ' yes yes' stuff and shut up and win.

Not sure that it's the best move for him. There are still match-ups at LW that can be made. If he goes back to WW I think he'd be stuck exactly where he was last time. Just below the the 1337 WWs (Kos, Fitch, GSP and Alves). They are too strong and powerful for him.

Perhaps a decent alternative could be to jump between the two?

Not sure that it's the best move for him. There are still match-ups at LW that can be made. If he goes back to WW I think he'd be stuck exactly where he was last time. Just below the the 1337 WWs (Kos' date=' Fitch, GSP and Alves). They are too strong and powerful for him.

Perhaps a decent alternative could be to jump between the two?[/quote']

gsp yea, but he hasnt fought alves yet and u would be very wrong to think that he could own diego. lets not forget diegos list of wins, its impressive. as for kos hes already lost to diego and his win against diego wasnt very impressive, for either fighter. fitch eeked out a split decision not destroyed him. diegos biggest problem along with a lot of fighters right now is that there great and in there prime, unfortunately for them it comes at a time when the lw, ww, and mw divisions are under complete control by there respective champions.

gsp yea' date=' but he hasnt fought alves yet and u would be very wrong to think that he could own diego. lets not forget diegos list of wins, its impressive. as for kos hes already lost to diego and his win against diego wasnt very impressive, for either fighter. fitch eeked out a split decision not destroyed him. diegos biggest problem along with a lot of fighters right now is that there great and in there prime, unfortunately for them it comes at a time when the lw, ww, and mw divisions are under complete control by there respective champions.[/quote']

If Kos couldn't take Alves down, I can't see Diego pulling it off either. Alves striking is also better than Diego's too. Also note that the Kos-Diego fights were a while ago. Kos has improved a lot since then. Diego has as well, but Kos I think will still beat him in the end by wrestler's control. Fitch will also just dominate him on the ground like last time. He's a pretty big WW. And yes, they are all in their prime (except Alves). I really don't think the move up would change anything really. He won't beat either of the champs and I think will have more problems with the contenders at WW than at LW.

that would be a good move' date=' hes too skinny at 155[/quote']

I agree. His fight with Guida was explosive but all that cutting has to take a toll on your body. I disagree with Rogan and I don't think he has a 155 frame.

170 is where he should be but I respect him at 155.

i would hate to see him go back up before he fights florian,thats a rematch that needs to happen at a more natural weight for them and a fight i think lots of people would love to see.if he wins that he will be #2 lw in the world, somthing i believe he wont be able to accomplish at ww. eventually that will lead to another shot at bj and another huge payday. i mean if hes gonna get beat by gsp or bj, why not take the sure thing stay at lw knowing you only have to get past florian and probably 2 more guys below him to get another shot at bj and another giant payday. ( oh and btw i think he gets beat by florian so imo he's kinda in no mans land)

No' date=' no, no...BIG NO!!! Dana, don't let Diego move to the WWD until he fights Kenny Florian. This is the fight fans wanna see. We wanna see Kenny avenging his loss. That's why Diego wants to move, he wants to save himself the embarrassment of getting his lights knocked out or submitted by kenny. I guess the nightmare now has a nightmare of his own. The only way I'd allow Diego to move to WW is if he gets to fight Thiago Alves first. I guess that would compensate not seeing him fight Florian. Alright suckers! Peace out! MFs = My Friends! LOL[/quote']

I'm with him. He needs to fight Florian, especially after all the trash talk he has pointed at Florian. I think he'll go back up to WW, but it will be a bad decision for him at this point, as his body will need atleast 6 mos. to put back on the weight naturally. Honestly, his body looked horribly malnourished at LW. His arms looked like twigs, and his face looked like skeletor. This is a dude that walks around at 190lbs. when he is not dieting like a nut, and drinking his own piss. He was dieting to 174lbs., and then making the cut.

Time will tell, but yeah, he did do better as a welterweight. BJ exposed alot of holes in his game though.

• 2 weeks later...

If the ****-beating that BJ gave him is making him want to move back up - then the beating that GSP will give him might make him quit.

Diego is a very talented fighter but he got pretty weird. He might as well have been an amateur in the ring with BJ. BJ beat his **** silly. The one thing I can say is that Diego didn't get knocked out. Penn definately let him know that he's not invincible like he thought he was.

Archived