BJ Penn vs. Shinya Aoki

boxer55

No Lightweight will be able to beat BJ especially now that hes got his **** together and training his **** off.

he was pretty much unbeatable when he wasnt really training

Aoki would not be able to take BJ down or outstrike him either

Aokis only chance would be a flying sub and even that might be impossible as im assuming BJs submission defence is amazing

I dont see BJ losing his title not now two years from now i think he might retire champion .

He is the greatest lightweight champion ever

I dont usually go by records but it does seem that Aokis wins seem to be mostly against less experianced fighters and his losses are to experianced fighters

If anyone is to beat BJ i would say a wrestler with great stand up but i dont see that from any current lightweights as BJs boxing is years ahead of any other lightweight at the moment

but i would say there is a very good chance that BJ will retire the champion

but who knows this is mma and anything can happen but if i had to put money on it id say BJ UFCs lightweight Champ till he retires and cements his name as the greatest lightweight fighter ever!!!!

BJ most likely to win, but BJ has never faced a LW with Aoki's judo skills which is why i would think he wouldn't have to much of a problem taking him down, with Judo Aoki can spin off the cage using BJ's own weight to throw him to the ground.(problem with this again is BJ's overall size as you mentioned). Now when it hits the mat, i believe it can go either way due to the fact that BJ will be eager to prove his BJJ skills too everyone against someone like Aoki who demostrates his BJJ skills in every fight and Aoki is vicious with his sub attempts not even caring about whether or not he breaks arms etc. My friend and myself came to the conclusion that crazy things happen in MMA, so Aoki could win, but your more likely to bet on BJ because Aoki is very much the underdog in this fight.

What i posted in a previous thread. about Aoki vs BJ

You know Penn would train nothing but takedown defense and submission defense leading up to the fight. Unless Aoki develops a GSP-esque double leg, I can't see him getting it to the ground unless Penn wants to take it to the ground. A flying submission could be possible but again I don't think he'd catch someone with Penn's ground skills out there. I wouldn't count Aoki out completely, I would be stupid to do so, but I can't see him winning that fight.

Penn's defense is so exceptional I think that he will certainly stuggle to do so' date=' and you know it's the only thing Penn will be expecting from him.[/quote']

This is true. As much as I love Aoki, he isn't well rounded enough to take Penn. His only chance is on the ground, and getting it there is no small feat against BJ. Would love to see this happen, but I imagine it will be a couple of years before being a possibility.

You know Penn would train nothing but takedown defense and submission defense leading up to the fight. Unless Aoki develops a GSP-esque double leg' date=' I can't see him getting it to the ground unless Penn wants to take it to the ground. A flying submission could be possible but again I don't think he'd catch someone with Penn's ground skills out there. I wouldn't count Aoki out completely, I would be stupid to do so, but I can't see him winning that fight.[/quote']

-_- Judo, why does everyone assume you have to use a GSP Double Leg for BJ...it's worked for so many of his opponents...oh wait...it hasn't.

I was just making the point you need elite takedown skills against Penn' date=' using GSP to illustrate this.[/quote']

Thing is everyone has has tried it on BJ since then hasn't been able to take him down so does this mean if he rematches GSP he will be able to avoid the takedown?

Archived