What do you guys think of Pro Wrestlers switching to MMA?

Aaron91

Guys like Bobby Lashley and Brock Lesnar both coming from a WWE backround' date=' and back In the day guys like Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock,Is there a link between Pro Wrestling and mma? And Is it a good thing for the sport?[/quote']

They are both irrelevant to each other. WWE looks for big guys to throw money at so they can be thrown in with guys who actually know what their doing, and they carry the match, until the big guy does one to three big moves and wins. Lashley and Lesnar just happen to be two big guys who wrestled and wanted money, WWE was glad to throw it at them. Plus, who didn't watch wrestling when they were younger and always wanted to go in the ring at least once in their life?

Oh I'm sure all MMA fans are thrilled about professional wrestlers transitioning to MMA. It can only do wonderful things for the sports credibility and legitimacy to be linked with the highly respected athletic competition of pro wrestling. Furthermore I think we can all say, with a high degree of certainty, that the influx of intelligent, discerning aficionados of professional wrestling who will be drawn to MMA will be an outstanding addition to our fan base. It will surely elevate the status and respect MMA receives from the main stream sports media!

My question is this, why stop at aligning with pro wrestling? There must be some way to integrate MMA with other equally awesome spectacles like truck & tractor pulls, Toughman tournaments and competitive eating, to name just a few.

Yep, I just cant express how excited serious MMA fan are about welcoming more pro wrestlers into our sport.

Brock Lesnar was an NCAA champion and Lashley would have probably competed in the Olympics before he injured his knee. So no, their is absolutely no connection between MMA and fake soap opera wrestling other than the fact that its a good way for freakishly muscular guys to pay the bills.

Severn and Shamrock were fighters before they were "pro wrestlers". Shamrock left MMA for a while because it was illegal in a lot of states and some cable companies wouldnt sell pay per views. I'm sure the WWF payed a hell of a lot more then too.

Brock Lesnar was an NCAA champion and Lashley would have probably competed in the Olympics before he injured his knee. So no' date=' their is absolutely no connection between MMA and fake soap opera wrestling other than the fact that its a good way for freakishly muscular guys to pay the bills.

Severn and Shamrock were fighters before they were "pro wrestlers". Shamrock left MMA for a while because it was illegal in a lot of states and some cable companies wouldnt sell pay per views. I'm sure the WWF payed a hell of a lot more then too.[/quote']

If I remember right, Shamrock got $3M/year to play in the WWE. He was one of the first REAL fighters to ever do it. He was a massive draw for them at the time. More people watched him there than watch Brock here.

Guys like Bobby Lashley and Brock Lesnar both coming from a WWE backround' date=' and back In the day guys like Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock,Is there a link between Pro Wrestling and mma? And Is it a good thing for the sport?[/quote']

Why not, Dan Severn came from pro wrestling, along with Don Frye, Mark Coleman, Josh Barnett, Kevin Randleman, Ken Shamrock. All who were in UFC's beginnings all were from Pro Wrestling. Even Randy Couture's 1st MMA fight was aginst Troy Halme, Ludwig Borga in WWF.

They are both irrelevant to each other. WWE looks for big guys to throw money at so they can be thrown in with guys who actually know what their doing' date=' and they carry the match, until the big guy does one to three big moves and wins. Lashley and Lesnar just happen to be two big guys who wrestled and wanted money, WWE was glad to throw it at them. Plus, who didn't watch wrestling when they were younger and always wanted to go in the ring at least once in their life?[/quote']

They are not irrelevant to each other. MMA is much like Pro wrestling, only the striking is real. Pro Wrestling uses training methods just like MMA fighters, only they compete in a fictious world inside the ring where MMA isnt. Pro Wrestlers compete against one another on a weekly basis, sometimes daily basis with even greater injuries than any MMA fighter has sustained.

Brock Lesnar was an NCAA champion and Lashley would have probably competed in the Olympics before he injured his knee. So no' date=' their is absolutely no connection between MMA and fake soap opera wrestling other than the fact that its a good way for freakishly muscular guys to pay the bills.

Severn and Shamrock were fighters before they were "pro wrestlers". Shamrock left MMA for a while because it was illegal in a lot of states and some cable companies wouldnt sell pay per views. I'm sure the WWF payed a hell of a lot more then too.[/quote']

Proves just how old you really are.......

Ken Shamrock was a pro wrestler in 1990 under the South Atlantic Wrestling Promotion as Wayne Shamrock, then Vince Torelli, and also called himself Mr. Wrestling. It wasnt until UWF turned into a Japanese Promotion where Masaatsu Kunaki & Minoru Suzuki came from and created a Hybrid style of Wrestling called Pancrase. There they brought over guys like Guy Metzger, Ken Shamrock, and Bas Rutten.

At one time Ken Shamrock was known as the best Submission artist in Shoot/Catch Wrestling later on called Pancrase and MMA.......thats until Royce Gracie came in 1993.

Oh I'm sure all MMA fans are thrilled about professional wrestlers transitioning to MMA. It can only do wonderful things for the sports credibility and legitimacy to be linked with the highly respected athletic competition of pro wrestling. Furthermore I think we can all say' date=' with a high degree of certainty, that the influx of intelligent, discerning aficionados of professional wrestling who will be drawn to MMA will be an outstanding addition to our fan base. It will surely elevate the status and respect MMA receives from the main stream sports media!

My question is this, why stop at aligning with pro wrestling? There must be some way to integrate MMA with other equally awesome spectacles like truck & tractor pulls, Toughman tournaments and competitive eating, to name just a few.

Yep, I just cant express how excited serious MMA fan are about welcoming more pro wrestlers into our sport.[/quote']

yeah i agree with this. do we really want a Forum full of SCO's?

Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn didnt come to MMA from pro wrestling' date=' they both went to pro wrestling from MMA then went back to MMA.[/quote']

Fail!!!

Shamrock was in Pro Wrestling from 1990 to 1992, then to a MMA Promotion called King of Pancrase, then in 1993 he came to UFC 1.

Dan Severn was in UWF as well, thats Universal Wrestling Federation that pre-dates MMA. Severn was Wrestling in the Pro circuits for some odd years before coming to MMA in UFC 4, his MMA debut.

Check your history before posting.....it makes you look like you dont know ****.

All it shows is WWE, WWF, WCW or what ever they call them selves now does not supply the REAL desire of an athlete. Wrestlers rehearse & rehearse.

In the UFC, you train, train & train. Strength, cardio, whatever style or combo of styles you use, study the next opponent ect.

UFC - As real as it gets!!!!!

WWE - As fake as it gets!!!!

Sure! When I was 12 or so there were plenty of guys in WWF and other pro Wrassling that I thought,

" If that guy could ever learn to fight for real...", but then puberty hit and I had my own first real fight and that woke me up pretty quickly.

There are a few, and I mean very few, pro wrasslers with amatuer wrestling backgrounds, that if they could go back to college and put in the years of training in all disciplines, could make a decent MMA fighter. I am waiting for the first "current" wrassling star to sign with Strikeforce and make alot of noise for them..oh wait, Bobby Lashley! Wait til he gets a legit opponent and we will talk...

Wrestlers have tradionally been some of the most dominant fighters. Their work ethic and athletic ability is usually higher than others, and the learning curve that they must go over is much less. That being said, if you're talking about WWE type wrestlers, barely 10% of them have a real wrestling background. MMA doesn't need these types of people.

Oh I'm sure all MMA fans are thrilled about professional wrestlers transitioning to MMA. It can only do wonderful things for the sports credibility and legitimacy to be linked with the highly respected athletic competition of pro wrestling. Furthermore I think we can all say' date=' with a high degree of certainty, that the influx of intelligent, discerning aficionados of professional wrestling who will be drawn to MMA will be an outstanding addition to our fan base. It will surely elevate the status and respect MMA receives from the main stream sports media!

Yep, I just cant express how excited serious MMA fan are about welcoming more pro wrestlers into our sport.[/quote']

LOL. Nicely put. I must say i especially love all the new fans who think its a good idea to introduce weapons into the UFC fights. Coz like, you can totally get smashed in the head with a sledgehammer and just get up and keep fighting you know.

All it shows is WWE' date=' WWF, WCW or what ever they call them selves now does not supply the REAL desire of an athlete. Wrestlers rehearse & rehearse.

In the UFC, you train, train & train. Strength, cardio, whatever style or combo of styles you use, study the next opponent ect.

UFC - As real as it gets!!!!!

WWE - As fake as it gets!!!![/quote']

In WWE or Other Pro Wrestling companies Wrestlers/Performers also train for Strength, Cardio, and far beyond what any MMA Athlete go through since they do this almost everday through injury and pain. Thats why a lot of them were/are hooked on Painkillers, and other prescrpition drugs. Wrestling has shown more severe injuries than any MMA fight that has ever been.

Example Chris Benoit's german suplex that broke Sabu's neck, and had to get surgery to repair his neck. Brock Lesnar's WM folly when he tried a shooting star press and landed on his head. Kurt Angle had to carry him that whole match while dealing with a reocurring neck injury himself.

Pro Wrestling=Fake.....yes, the injuries No.

Hell no.

I think Vladimir Kozlov wouldve made a great MMA Heavyweight. Russian & World Sambo Champion like himself wouldve been a force in MMA.

There obvious natural athletes(well some of them) but it does damage the name of martial arts if they come over with no skill. Brock does have wrestling and so does Lashley but Lashleys stand up is appalling and bjj hasnt looked good. But at least he is doing it the right way fighting people at his own or just below his level. Im not a fan of Brock but i respect for taking such tough fights whether his size advantage did have a big factor. But i dont like the idea that they can get a title shot or move up the rankings with ease because there well known from another sport. All fighters should have to earn there right into the higher levels of the sport.

if they have the skills, by all means they should. If they don't, but are willing to work for it, they should get a chance after working their way up.

Regardless, they have to work for it.

You wouldnt put a professional speed skater on a hockey team just because they can skate fast, or a sumo wrestler in football just because they're big.

Ken shamrock??

you retard.. slam**** did mma before he did wrestling... check your facts

It does not bother me in the slightest FAKE WRESTLERS joining MMA because say if somebody in the WWE em like John Cena (Im assuming Cena has a large fan base) quits WWE for MMA that will Bring alot of WWE fans to the sport and will help widen the horizons of MMA a bit

Now im not sure itf your allowed Denim shorts into the octagon but im sure theyd make an exception haha

but in all fairness i see alot of hate towards Brock lesner just because in order to make big money he joined WWE and then later Joined MMA alot of Fake wrestlers do accually have quite good credentials wheteher its in wrestlling or some kind of Striking

So i see nothing wrong with fake wrestlers wanting to join MMA as it would bring alot of fans this way and help increase its credability as a real sport (i know mma is a real sport but it will help it bring MMA out to a bigger audience)

As far as i see it is that WWE fighters leave WWE to have a challenge there is no challenge in fighting due to a script so if wwe fighters wanna come and play with the big boys for the challenge then bring them on!!!!

If they have a history in real wrestling or another fighting art I don't have a problem with it. The only reason I have a problem with Brock is because he is a complete Dbag who has no respect for anything.

Good point, and I agree.

Just to add a little to it...to be honest, I do not care what a fighter did or where a fighter came from before they walk into that cage. All I care about is how they perform in the cage and how they conduct themselves, regarding to the sport, before, during, and after their matches. A little trash talk is good but what Brock did after UFC 100 was disrespectful to all the people that tried and continue trying to get rid of "that" kind of image.

It seems as though the people that come from professional wrestling have done rather well in the sport of MMA. Most, if not all, professional wrestlers have a collegiate wrestling background. So, it's not like they have no idea of how to fight. As long as the fighters treat the sport with respect and show a good deal of talent inside the cage, I don't care if they come from the WWE, TNA, NFL, MLB, NBA, etc etc. The more names the better. If all of you people are so worried about MMA getting out there to the general public then what better way to do that then have these already famous athletes come in and display their fighting skills. So far, so good.

Archived