Why does the UFC not see the need to promote Marquardt more?

Alpha_Omega

I just watched the preview for 109 on UFC.com and I'm wondering why they are not promoting Marquardt more. I was expecting half Main event and half co-main as usual and no preview for Marquardt Vs Sonnen.

I don't understand why Nate Marquardt is not promoted more. He's one of the best fighters in the world at MW and he is the type of fighter everyone wants to see. An exciting finisher. Disappointed that this guy is being left in the dark. Sure they promoted Marquardt Vs Maia, but this is another big fight for the division and it's the co-main event.

I just watched the preview for 109 on UFC.com and I'm wondering why they are not promoting Marquardt more. I was expecting half Main event and half co-main as usual and no preview for Marquardt Vs Sonnen.

I don't understand why Nate Marquardt is not promoted more. He's one of the best fighters in the world at MW and he is the type of fighter everyone wants to see. An exciting finisher. Disappointed that this guy is being left in the dark. Sure they promoted Marquardt Vs Maia' date=' but this is another big fight for the division and it's the co-main event.[/quote']

Agreed, this is something I've been thinking about a lot lately.

I rank Marquardt as the #2 MW in the world right now and I think that when Silva retires or makes a permanent move to the LHW division, which should be before the year is up, that MW belt will be around Marquardt's waist before ya know it.

Honestly they try to promote guys that are getting title shots soon or working their way up. Marqaurdt is about as good as he will get and unless Silva moves up then he isn't title materail. Just my opinion do with it what you will.

lol Marquardt not in the title hunt? Anderson Silva himself said Marquardt will be the next dominant MW champion. It's a shame if you really think a 30 year old guy is as good as he will get.

I think they marketed him when he went against A. Silva, and he got absolutely dominated on. Honestly, as much as they hype his KO power, he really doesn't seem that much better then he use to. I suppose if he beat Henderson or Rich Franklin i'd look up and take notice.

Right now all I see his a big guy, crying, and pointing a finger at Vitor Belfort, asking why he got a title shot, when just a year and a half ago he was given one and beaten down like a clown. I think Belfort is alot faster then he is. I mean, you can't compare Belfort with Gouevia, and he definitely isn't as one dimensional as Demian Maia.

Honestly they try to promote guys that are getting title shots soon or working their way up. Marqaurdt is about as good as he will get and unless Silva moves up then he isn't title materail. Just my opinion do with it what you will.

how can you say that marquardt isnt title material at 185?? if anything he should be fighting silva not belfort. you must of ate a bad batch of acid or something

I think they marketed him when he went against A. Silva' date=' and he got absolutely dominated on. Honestly, as much as they hype his KO power, he really hasn't found that much better then he use to. I suppose if he beat Henderson or Rich Franklin i'd look up and take notice.

Right now all I see his a big guy, crying, and pointing a finger at Vitor Belfort, asking why he got a title shot, when just a year and a half ago he was given one and beaten down like a clown. I think Belfort is alot faster then he is. I mean, you can't compare Belfort with Gouevia, and he definitely isn't as one dimensional as Demian Maia.[/quote']

I agree with you on alot of that but i certainly think that Belfort should of had done more to prove his worthiness of a title shot than beat "on the verge of retirement" franklin

Nate is going to be the next MW champion' date=' but I'm trying to think of how to promote him. [b']He's not flashy[/b], he doesn't talk trash and is very unassuming. Kinda dull personality wise. Maybe he needs a new schtick? I think he will promote himself once he has that belt around his waist.

I would say a flying knee/right head kick/spinning backfist/right hook combo is pretty close to flashy.

Couture himself is respectful and dull (to the masses anyway)

Yeah that would qualify as some flash' date=' lol. Dunno man. Who are we trying to promote him to? The casual fan and why?[/quote']

Promote him to everybody. Not a lot of casual fans know who he is. I don't see why. The guy is exciting and a great representative of the sport. With more promotion for him comes more fans, more money and another title fight. All of which he deserves.

Promote him to everybody. Not a lot of casual fans know who he is. I don't see why. The guy is exciting and a great representative of the sport. With more promotion for him comes more fans' date=' more money and another title fight. All of which he deserves.[/quote']

Amen to that brother.

I see it two ways here. If a fighter like Daley for instance, promoted himself by crazyass quotes the UFC has no choice, because of the public interest, to promote him. If a fighter chooses to stay relatively quiet by not making any waves, why bother promoting him therefore not having to pay him more $$$ because of the lack of public interest. If the guy is quiet but talented, he will get his shot and has already had one, but they will pay him less until they need to. Maybe the only way to get promotion is to push the issue yourself or wait till you have a title shot and make the best of it.

Nate "The Great" deserves any promotion. I believe he can beat most competitors in the MW division. The only reason he isn't getting the limelight is because Anderson Silva floored him. When you can't beat the champion, you aren't much of a draw (to the public anyways) unless you have done some amazing stuff or are the last hope to take down the best.

I'm sure they're still trying to make Belfort look like he's 3x of what Anderson is as well but they can't exactly throw this trick infront of everyone when you explain why you are promoting Marquardt.

lol Marquardt not in the title hunt? Anderson Silva himself said Marquardt will be the next dominant MW champion. It's a shame if you really think a 30 year old guy is as good as he will get.

I agree Nate's the real deal and it's a shame silva was playing around at LHW cuz he could already be champ

Agreed' date=' this is something I've been thinking about a lot lately.

I rank Marquardt as the #2 MW in the world right now and I think that when Silva retires or makes a permanent move to the LHW division, which should be before the year is up, that MW belt will be around Marquardt's waist before ya know it.[/quote']

no way hes 2nd ranked middle weight...r u on crack ? lol..hes a good fighter but damien mia stand up sucks....and watch mma not just mma related 2 the ufc..then u wont be saying hes 2nd ranked middle weight

Archived