Paul Daley vs. BJ Penn, any thoughts

boxer55

Dana White has said that he wants the new BJ Penn to face GSP. but before thst can happen he wants BJ to face a top ranked welterweight which leads to believe that a future match-up between BJ penn vs. Paul Daley is very likely.

if this is to happen who do you think will get the victory?

Dana White has said that he wants the new BJ Penn to face GSP. but before thst can happen he wants BJ to face a top ranked welterweight which leads to believe that a future match-up between BJ penn vs. Paul Daley is very likely.

Since when is Daley a top ranked WW? There are plenty of actual TOP WW who would make more sence as a test before GSP. How about anyone with a wrestling game.

Boosh!

BJ would have a hard time with Daley but he would come out on top IMO. BJ's boxing is probably the best in mma today and now the newly refocused BJ would give Daley fits. BJ is super ellusive. He got hit like six times between ken flo and diego and Daley doesnt have the speed that those guys have. BJ would take Daley to the scorecards and win a decision or possibly submit him.

I strongly believe and I'm sure B.J. will take it. He has really improved a lot since losing to GSP -- Daley is ok, but we haven't seen him fighting a real contender -- no offense to swick or kampman, but they are not "top guys" and have not won in an impressive way at 170. Plus, Joe Rogan may have jinxed Daley by saying "Paul Daley is for real." He said the same thing about Houston Alexander and after he said that Houston hasn't been able to win not even against a "backyard brawler" like Kimbo. Kimbo whooped Alexander's cici's ****!

Nope, Bj would kill him.

Bj should have to fight Thiago Alves before he gets another beat down from GSP.

Bj will not get by Alves anyway.

Where did you hear Dana say that he wants Bj to fight GSP again anyway? Source.?

I'd rather see BJ fight some top WW's like Fitch, Alves or Koscheck or at least bring some new LW's in like Aoki/Hanson/Alvarez to challenge him.

To have BJ fight Daley is just stupid. Daley hasn't earned the right to fight one of the best MMArtists of all time.

Yeah, put BJ against Daley and when he crushes Daley it will give BJ another false sense of security to face GSP. Pfft! When did White say he would like to see the "new" BJ Penn face GSP? If he did he's not too bright, or dislikes BJ a lot. Another GSP/BJ Penn fight would result in an even more devastating loss for Penn then the last one as GSP is ALWAYS new and improved.

I strongly believe and I'm sure B.J. will take it. He has really improved a lot since losing to GSP -- Daley is ok' date=' but we haven't seen him fighting a real contender -- no offense to swick or kampman, but they are not "top guys" and have not won in an impressive way at 170. Plus, Joe Rogan may have jinxed Daley by saying "Paul Daley is for real." He said the same thing about Houston Alexander and after he said that Houston hasn't been able to win not even against a "backyard brawler" like Kimbo. Kimbo whooped Alexander's cici's ****![/quote']

B.J. has definately improved greatly since his fight with GSP.. HOWEVER,.....When it comes to an opponent over powering him, he struggles

B.J. has definately improved greatly since his fight with GSP.. HOWEVER' date='.....When it comes to an opponent over powering him, he struggles[/quote']

He has "improved greatly" at LW. Bringing this "improvement" (assuming your referring to his cardio) to the WW division is an entirely different thing.

basically the only real true tests for bj at WW is Fitch or Alves their the only 2 WW's who went 5rds w/ GSP which bj couldnt even do but i guess if it came down to one id have to go with Alves cus of the huge striking gap displayed between fitch and gsp. Alves would be much closer to GSP's level of striking

B.J. has definately improved greatly since his fight with GSP.. HOWEVER' date='.....When it comes to an opponent over powering him, he struggles[/quote']

Yeah, but this usually is due to a wrestling background. Daley's ground game isn't anywhere near the level of GSP or Hughes. Daley's only chance of winning would be to keep the fight standing, and even then I think BJ's too fast for him and will out strike him for a decision. But that's just how I see it.

BJ would smoke Daley.

BJ would have a hard time with Daley but he would come out on top IMO. BJ's boxing is probably the best in mma today and now the newly refocused BJ would give Daley fits. BJ is super ellusive. He got hit like six times between ken flo and diego and Daley doesnt have the speed that those guys have. BJ would take Daley to the scorecards and win a decision or possibly submit him.

Huh, Daley is ten times the striker of Diego or Kenflo. That's his bread and butter. He's also a heckuva lot bigger then either of those guys. He probably weighs a good 190 during the fight time, if not more.

That said though, it would be a good fight, but I think that BJ would eventually get him to the ground, and BJ is literally the top of the food chain in BJJ. Standing up wise, I think Daley could/would knock him out. BJ's no dummy, once he got hit with a clean shot (Which would most likely just buckle him, as he has a ridiculous chin), he'd shoot in for the takedown.

Good idea' date=' let's put the guy who is known for having a questionable ground game against one of the best jiu-jitsu practioners in MMA. His boxing is more technical and quick than Daley's and his chin is cast from iron. Penn would most likely win in pretty much every area.[/quote']

Agreed. bj would outclass him

Huh' date=' Daley is ten times the striker of Diego or Kenflo. That's his bread and butter. He's also a heckuva lot bigger then either of those guys. He probably weighs a good 190 during the fight time, if not more.

That said though, it would be a good fight, but I think that BJ would eventually get him to the ground, and BJ is literally the top of the food chain in BJJ. Standing up wise, I think Daley could/would knock him out. BJ's no dummy, once he got hit with a clean shot (Which would most likely just buckle him, as he has a ridiculous chin), he'd shoot in for the takedown.[/quote']

Have heard of BJ Penn? BJ has probably the best boxing in MMA, with power. No one makes people look like hamburger like BJ does. I believe it would be Penn who would have the attention of Daley once BJ connected a few times. Daley would get smoked standing. This wouldn't even need to go to the ground, unless BJ wanted it there for an easy sub.

Good idea' date=' let's put the guy who is known for having a questionable ground game against one of the best jiu-jitsu practioners in MMA. His boxing is more technical and quick than Daley's and his chin is cast from iron. Penn would most likely win in pretty much every area.[/quote']

"His chin is cast from Iron", LMFAO, great description man. You make BJ seem like a mythological god or something. I would like to see a BJ vs Alvez, Fitch or even Rumble would be sick. He definitely has to go through a top contender before GSP vs PENN 3.

Have heard of BJ Penn? BJ has probably the best boxing in MMA' date=' with power. No one makes people look like hamburger like BJ does. I believe it would be Penn who would have the attention of Daley once BJ connected a few times. Daley would get smoked standing. This wouldn't even need to go to the ground, unless BJ wanted it there for an easy sub.[/quote']

Daley is known as the best striker in MMA. Yeah, BJ is ridiculously good, WITH BOXING. Daley is an all around striker, which means that while BJ is covering up his face, he's going to his legs with a kick. Joe Rogan said it, when he stated that Daley was the best striker at 170lbs. There's a reason no one wants to bang with him either. BJ's got good power, but he doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as Daley does (You do know that Daley has effectively knocked Dustin Hazelett from competing for 6 months, strictly due to his KO power). Yeah BJ looked great against Diego and Kenflo. Daley is a whole different type of opponent. He doesn't have a serious ground game, he doesn't have a wrestling takedown, he just has KO power, like Thiago Alves. Oh, and Alves would kick BJ's **** in a striking match too.

I still don't see how you guys can compare Diego/Kenflo's striking with Paul Daley.

Daley is known as the best striker in MMA. Yeah' date=' BJ is ridiculously good, WITH BOXING. Daley is an all around striker, which means that while BJ is covering up his face, he's going to his legs with a kick. Joe Rogan said it, when he stated that Daley was the best striker at 170lbs. There's a reason no one wants to bang with him either. BJ's got good power, but he doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as Daley does (You do know that Daley has effectively knocked Dustin Hazelett from competing for 6 months, strictly due to his KO power). Yeah BJ looked great against Diego and Kenflo. Daley is a whole different type of opponent. He doesn't have a serious ground game, he doesn't have a wrestling takedown, he just has KO power, like Thiago Alves. Oh, and Alves would kick BJ's **** in a striking match too.

I still don't see how you guys can compare Diego/Kenflo's striking with Paul Daley.[/quote']

Sorry chump, but Daley is known for nothing in MMA other than having dynamite in his hands and no ground. You are trying to compare a nobody with the best in the world. Please dont base your MMA knowledge on what Rogan says, you'll end up looking like a tool. Dont quote like you have 1/2 a clue what your talking about because you will be exposed as a fraud here my man. Trust me on this one, BJ has better striking than Daley with enough power to rock him silly and would own him on every level. Bet the farm on that one, your money would be safe.

Archived