Diego Sanchez confirms move back to welterweight

freedom

http://www.fightmarks.com/story.php?title=sanchez-confirms-move-back-to-welterweight

Diego Sanchez has confirmed that he is returning to the welterweight division after failing to wrest the UFC lightweight title from BJ Penn at the end of 2009. Sanchez was soundly beaten over the course of five rounds and there seems little reason to believe a rematch would go differently.

Today he posted on his Facebook account to say that he was ?moving to 170? but then removed that post shortly afterwards. But hours later, he sent this message out via his Twitter account:

?YES IM GOING BACK TO WELTERWEIGHT IM LOVING MY NEW DIET.I WANT KOS OR FITCH BUT ANY TOP GUY WILL DO JUST WANT TO GIVE U FANS THE BEST FIGHT.?

I would've liked to see him fight Kenny Florian' date=' maybe it might still happen someday.[/quote']

would of been good to see but i doubt it would end differently.

diegos first fight will be against someone like paulo thiago, swick or condit

then he will most likely line up against alves,fitch,huges or serra

then most likely a shot at gsp if he wins 2-3 of those fights

Hahaha' date=' BJ scared him away from the division. Where did the rematch that he was talking about after he got the fight of the year award go?[/quote']

he has bigger hopes then another whoopin of clay doormat guida, the only fighter in that division that could seriously give him a challenge other then penn was florian, there are much better fights @WW for him

I agree...

really a guy whos 23-3 and has only lost to world ranked fighters one was to the best LW ever another was too the second best WW in MMA in fitch (which i believe he was robbed in that fight) and another was to top 5 ranked koscheck

meanwhile pretty much running through every other fighter he has fought. there must be ALOT of over rated fighters in the ufc and mma then

really a guy whos 23-3 and has only lost to world ranked fighters one was to the best LW ever another was too the second best WW in MMA in fitch (which i believe he was robbed in that fight) and another was to top 5 ranked koscheck

meanwhile pretty much running through every other fighter he has fought. there must be ALOT of over rated fighters in the ufc and mma then

I disagree. I just watched the fight a few days ago, there was no doubt in my mind that Fitch won that fight. Diego did throw up alot of subs from the bottom, but none that nearly ended the fight. On top of that Fitch scored more takedowns, defended more takedowns and speant less time on his back than Diego did. Sanchez was not robbed in any way.

You're joking right? GSP would maul Diego.

noi just think their styles are better suited, if it stays in the feet then gsp poses no where near the threat penn did, and if it goes to the ground diego has the best scramble and some of the best jits in the game, diego is one fighter i beleive gsp wont keep down.

and sanchez almost subbed fitch twice from his back, i just believe that gsp style matches up better for diego then penn did.

not saying he will win but he stands a better chance against gsp then he did against bj

I disagree. I just watched the fight a few days ago' date=' there was no doubt in my mind that Fitch won that fight. Diego did throw up alot of subs from the bottom, but none that nearly ended the fight. On top of that Fitch scored more takedowns, defended more takedowns and speant less time on his back than Diego did. Sanchez was not robbed in any way.[/quote']

round one diego won easily round 2 fitch won easily round 3 diego almost subbed fitch twice while fitch just layed ontop doing nothing because he was afraid of getting caught in a sub

i had it 29-28 for sanchez

noi just think their styles are better suited' date=' if it stays in the feet then gsp poses no where near the threat penn did, and if it goes to the ground diego has the best scramble and some of the best jits in the game, diego is one fighter i beleive gsp wont keep down.

and sanchez almost subbed fitch twice from his back, i just believe that gsp style matches up better for diego then penn did.

not saying he will win but he stands a better chance against gsp then he did against bj[/quote']

I can't help but completely disagree. I think GSP would definitely be able to hold him down. I highly doubt that Diego's grappling is anywhere near George's.

Fitch handled Diego's subs and his scrambles, and then proceeded to be obliterated by GSP. Now I know this is just another case of MMA math, but let's be realistic here. George ouclasses anyone in his division.

I can't help but completely disagree. I think GSP would definitely be able to hold him down. I highly doubt that Diego's grappling is anywhere near George's.

Fitch handled Diego's subs and his scrambles' date=' and then proceeded to be obliterated by GSP. Now I know this is just another case of MMA math, but let's be realistic here. George ouclasses anyone in his division.[/quote']

true but my point is he stands a better chance against gsp then he did against penn because of styles. diegoes a good fighter a great fighter actually and @27 he will be just coming into his prime, i can see him and GSP facing off in 18 months to 2 years

round one diego won easily round 2 fitch won easily round 3 diego almost subbed fitch twice while fitch just layed ontop doing nothing because he was afraid of getting caught in a sub

LMFAO!!!

Maybe go watch the fight again man, If diego doesn't get points for pressing against the cage like he did against BJ, then he didn't get them against Fitch either. The first three minutes of the first round Diego spent pressing against the cage and trying for a takedown, only to be tossed on his back and punched in the face. Fitch won both of the first two rounds, the third you could argue due to sub attempts.

Fitch handled Diego's subs and his scrambles' date=' and then proceeded to be obliterated by GSP. Now I know this is just another case of MMA math, but let's be realistic here. George ouclasses anyone in his division.[/quote']

true but my point is he stands a better chance against gsp then he did against penn because of styles. diegoes a good fighter a great fighter actually and @27 he will be just coming into his prime, i can see him and GSP facing off in 18 months to 2 years

Go watch the fight again man, Diego got stuffed when he went for the takedown, and then got put on his back. No way he won the first round. Third you could argue due to sub attempts, but the first two went to Fitch hands down.

I would've liked to see him fight Kenny Florian' date=' maybe it might still happen someday.[/quote']

would of been good to see but i doubt it would end differently.

If I had to bet money on this fight I would bet on Sanchez - you are right I dont think it would end differently. Though I do think Kenny is a different fighter now than he was the first time they fought. Their first fight I didnt think Kenny had any chance, atleast this time Kenny might be able to hold his own. But this wont happen now so no use talking abt it.

Diego would have the cardio to hang with GSP but I think strength wise especially after dropping a weight class and then trying to move back up has to go to GSP. GSP was already the strongest guy in the division and he's putting on more muscle as we speak. Diego may have been partially successful against Fitch off his back but if Fitch can take him down GSP will take him down at will.

Diego has heart though and anything can happen in a fight.

besides penn there really wasnt any serious threat to him at LW' date=' plus there are a few good match ups for him at WW now and maybe if he doesnt get robbed again like he did with fitch he would get that title shot at GSP[/quote']

I think he stands a better chance against Penn rather than GSP, and we all know how that went

Holy crap people. GSP doesnt fight for a few months and many of you go brain dead. In what universe would Sanchez fare better against GSP then he did against BJ? Style wise he owns Sanchez in every way. If GSP decided to keep it standing Diego would get destroyed. GSP is a better striker (not boxer) than BJ is and would pick Sanchez apart. Sanchez lost to guys GSP ran right through....Stop this foolishness now!

YES!' date=' YES!, YES!, YES!, YES!, YES!, now we get to see him lose to Fitch, Koscheck, Alves, Daley, and GSP.[/quote']

exactly, diego isnt very good. Hes your keith jardine of the lighter weight classes. Hes always around, UFC execs like the guy, always give him chances. But hes just not that great of an athlete in the long run. His boxing is mediocre, his wrestling is mediocre, his cardio is good i guess, ill just go ahead and say his BJJ is sub par, but thats hard to tell. He cant crack top 5 in LW or WW imo. How he got a title shot was based on his name.

Archived