UFC on Versus: Vera/Jones

TheHorror

This is by far the best free card to date. Names like Vera, Jones, JDS, Gonzaga, Rumble, Kongo, Buentello. Can't wait. Here are my predictions

Vera v. Jones

via UD

I like Vera more, and I actually hope he wins, but I just see Jones utilizing that monster reach and his outstanding wrestling to squeeze out a UD. Hopefully Vera can get him in a thai plum or something and get the fight to his advantage, but Jones' reach is the most overwhelming part about him, and he does a good job at using it to stay on the outside and dictate where the fight goes.

Dos Santos v. Gonzaga

via TKO or KO

Finishing 4/5 of his last fights in the first round, JDS has proved to truly be the phenom he has been hyped up to be. Manhandling Cro Cop in a fashion that finished in a fashion that reminds me of Leddell/Horn 2, he's definately in line for a title shot this year. Gonzaga, with an even more devastating win over Cro Cop will be his toughest fight yet.Dos Santos is much quicker, and much more powerful on the feet, and while we have yet to see his ground game, training under the Nogs you can expect that it is on level if not above Gonzaga's. Two similar fighters, but Dos Santos is better in all aspects. This fight will likely set up a fight with either Velasquez(if Nog beats him) or the loser of Mir/Carwin to finally determine if he'll get a title shot in 2010.

Kongo v. Buentello

via TKO or KO

Someone is going down in this fight, end of story. It was tough to pick one, but Buentello seems to be quicker and more well rounded than Kongo. Everyone who saw UFC 108 saw the power that Buantello posseses when he embaressed Struve with a huge counter right hand in reply to Struve's flying knee attempt. Anybody who's seen Kongo knows that he's not exactly pillow-fisted either. The quicker fighter will take this one and in big fashion, and if it goes to the ground, it really just depends whos on top. Very close, but I see Buentello winning this one, and putting Kongo's carreer in desperation mode.

Johnson v. Howard

via TKO or KO

John Howard is no joke, but Rumble is going to look to take his head off after his loss to Koscheck. This is a huge oppurtunity for Howard to make a name for himself and become a contender, but Rumble is looking in the same direction, and with KO power like that, he's just not someone you want to within firing range of. Rumble has shown that his submission defense is less than stellar, so that seems to be the best approach for Howard, but something tells me he can't take Johnson down. Johnson's superior size and strength will prevail here, and Howard will likely have to find another way to get to the top.

Ludwig v. Fisher

via SUB

Both men have fought the best. Both men are coming off big losses, and are looking to redeem themselves. Ludwig unofficially holds the record for fastest UFC KO, and his power has been well determined. Fisher is like a machine. He never stops, and he hold quite a bit of power himself. If it stays standing I may think differently, but I have a feeling Fisher will look for a TD to avoid Bang's power and that's where the advantage kicks in for Fisher. If you don't remember, Fisher submitted Thiago Alves with a beautiful triangle. That says something about his JJ. Bang on the other hand, doesn't have the best ground game. I feel like Spencer will be able to hang with Ludwig on the feet, and if he feels like he's in trouble get him down and submit.

I don't know much about Elliot Marshall, so I decided not to predict the Marshall/Matyushenko fight.

What are your predictions?

Good post. I agree with most of it although I think Congo will take this one. I know Paul is a big favorite among members here but I would like to see Congo bounce back with a big KO.

The Ludwig and Fisher fight I could see going either way tough for me to call.

I'm also excited about the undercard. James Irvin vs. Sakara should be fireworks. Irvin by KO.

Good post. I agree with most of it although I think Congo will take this one. I know Paul is a big favorite among members here but I would like to see Congo bounce back with a big KO.

The Ludwig and Fisher fight I could see going either way tough for me to call.

I'm also excited about the undercard. James Irvin vs. Sakara should be fireworks. Irvin by KO.

+1

This is by far the best free card to date. Names like Vera' date=' Jones, JDS, Gonzaga, Rumble, Kongo, Buentello. Can't wait. Here are my predictions

Vera v. [b']Jones[/b]

via UD

I like Vera more, and I actually hope he wins, but I just see Jones utilizing that monster reach and his outstanding wrestling to squeeze out a UD. Hopefully Vera can get him in a thai plum or something and get the fight to his advantage, but Jones' reach is the most overwhelming part about him, and he does a good job at using it to stay on the outside and dictate where the fight goes.

Dos Santos v. Gonzaga

via TKO or KO

Finishing 4/5 of his last fights in the first round, JDS has proved to truly be the phenom he has been hyped up to be. Manhandling Cro Cop in a fashion that finished in a fashion that reminds me of Leddell/Horn 2, he's definately in line for a title shot this year. Gonzaga, with an even more devastating win over Cro Cop will be his toughest fight yet.Dos Santos is much quicker, and much more powerful on the feet, and while we have yet to see his ground game, training under the Nogs you can expect that it is on level if not above Gonzaga's. Two similar fighters, but Dos Santos is better in all aspects. This fight will likely set up a fight with either Velasquez(if Nog beats him) or the loser of Mir/Carwin to finally determine if he'll get a title shot in 2010.

Kongo v. Buentello

via TKO or KO

Someone is going down in this fight, end of story. It was tough to pick one, but Buentello seems to be quicker and more well rounded than Kongo. Everyone who saw UFC 108 saw the power that Buantello posseses when he embaressed Struve with a huge counter right hand in reply to Struve's flying knee attempt. Anybody who's seen Kongo knows that he's not exactly pillow-fisted either. The quicker fighter will take this one and in big fashion, and if it goes to the ground, it really just depends whos on top. Very close, but I see Buentello winning this one, and putting Kongo's carreer in desperation mode.

Johnson v. Howard

via TKO or KO

John Howard is no joke, but Rumble is going to look to take his head off after his loss to Koscheck. This is a huge oppurtunity for Howard to make a name for himself and become a contender, but Rumble is looking in the same direction, and with KO power like that, he's just not someone you want to within firing range of. Rumble has shown that his submission defense is less than stellar, so that seems to be the best approach for Howard, but something tells me he can't take Johnson down. Johnson's superior size and strength will prevail here, and Howard will likely have to find another way to get to the top.

Ludwig v. Fisher

via SUB

Both men have fought the best. Both men are coming off big losses, and are looking to redeem themselves. Ludwig unofficially holds the record for fastest UFC KO, and his power has been well determined. Fisher is like a machine. He never stops, and he hold quite a bit of power himself. If it stays standing I may think differently, but I have a feeling Fisher will look for a TD to avoid Bang's power and that's where the advantage kicks in for Fisher. If you don't remember, Fisher submitted Thiago Alves with a beautiful triangle. That says something about his JJ. Bang on the other hand, doesn't have the best ground game. I feel like Spencer will be able to hang with Ludwig on the feet, and if he feels like he's in trouble get him down and submit.

I don't know much about Elliot Marshall, so I decided not to predict the Marshall/Matyushenko fight.

I mainly agree besept for Buentello knocking at Kongo. Kongo is a far better striker. TKO win for Kongo is my prediction.

Vera vs Jones, this is going to be a great fight both fighters have a tremendous striking, this fight is going to be anything but boring. I dont like Jon Jones but I respect his abilities in the cage, either fighter can win this fight in the blink of and eye. I dont care how, but I hope Vera pulls off the victory.

Thats what everyone said when he fought Mir too' date=' look how that turned out.[/quote']

Ya but this is a different fight and just because Mir beat Kongo doesnt mean Buentello will. Buentello has a chance with his big right hand but I think Kongo will take him apart with kicks and puches.

Ya but this is a different fight and just because Mir beat Kongo doesnt mean Buentello will. Buentello has a chance with his big right hand but I think Kongo will take him apart with kicks and puches.

Right, but Kongo's striking is overrated, and thats all he really has. This was a really close fight to call. Either one could get KOd at any time. If I were Paul I'd play it safe by taking him down and GnP my way to a TKO. If Kongo worked on his wrestling and ground game he'd be one dangerous dude, but for now I just don't see that. I like them both, so as long as one of them wins I'm happy.

This is by far the best free card to date. Names like Vera' date=' Jones, JDS, Gonzaga, Rumble, Kongo, Buentello. Can't wait. Here are my predictions

Vera v. [b']Jones[/b]

via UD

Dos Santos v. Gonzaga

via TKO or KO

Kongo v. Buentello

via TKO or KO

Johnson v. Howard

via TKO or KO

Ludwig v. Fisher

via SUB

Jones by takedown and Nasty GnP destruction

Dos Santos by nasty KO

Buentello - TKO

Howard - TKO

Fischer by submission

I agree with most of your predictions.

Archived