Dana White rethinking May 1st date to avoid Mayweather fight

UFCGOD1

UFC President, Dana White is considering moving the promotions next trip to the Bell Center in Montreal, Quebec, Canada on May 1st to avoid the return to the boxing ring of one Floyd “Money” Mayweather.

Dana revealed the news earlier today to The Canadian Press after rumors began circulating that Mayweather could face Shane Mosley the same night I Las Vegas.

This has been backed up by a recent Twitter post from UFC light heavyweight champion, Lyoto Machida who is set to compete that night who says:

“My next fight against Shogun is scheduled for May 1st, but there is a possibility to change. If it does I'll let you know through here.”

The event is also set to play host to the return to action of former UFC light heavyweight champion, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson against his arch rival and fellow “Ultimate Fighter” season ten coach, Rashad Evans.

this is BS!! with a card that has shogun/machida 2 and rampage vs evans the UFC could destroy boxing and floyes " **** hole " mayweather

Nothing the UFC put on would top Money/Mosley in PPV dollars.....best not to compete with it. Smart move by Dana' date=' if this becomes a reality.[/quote']

But there will come a time when no matter what kind of card boxing puts on, they still won't be able to top a UFC event.. You can bet Dana White will bring war to their front door step when that day comes too. Dana won't forget this.. This is bad business by these Boxing promoters, and there will be long lasting repercussions because of this. But who knows, maybe they're trying to cash out now..

It is a wise decision from Dana. Even if th UFC's great card beats Mosley vs Floyd (which it won't) then a lot of people would still have chosen the boxing over UFC, and it would take a chunk out of their PPV sales. So why would you risk losing 2 million PPV sales in favour of 1.5 million (for example) over some petty competitive battle with boxing, which Dana is not interested in anyway?

Even if UFC beat the Floyd fight it would still lose as would the boxing, but petty feuds is their thing and Dana is not stupid enough to get caught up in it.

DW is an admitted big boxing fan. He might have a problem with a few of the figures in the sport - Mayweather and some promoters - but he doesn't wanna kill the sport. It's a different demographic. Boxing is making the mistake of trying to go up against UFC because it needs all the buys and interest it can get. If it quit putting on events the same dates as the UFC I might actually watch some of their shows.

He doesn't look at it like he's killing it though. He believes the 2 sports cater to different demographics. Boxing has their fans, and MMA has their own. He doesn't think the 2 really hurt eachother's PPV numbers.

Nothing the UFC put on would top Money/Mosley in PPV dollars.....best not to compete with it. Smart move by Dana' date=' if this becomes a reality.[/quote']

Brock vs Mir III as the main event, then Anderson vs Silva as the supporting main event would topple this boxing card.

It would be dubbed as UFC 11X Return of the Champions.

this is BS!! with a card that has shogun/machida 2 and rampage vs evans the UFC could destroy boxing and floyes " **** hole " mayweather

Do you seriously believe that? lol!

A card featuring Lensar Vs Fedor would get destoryed by a boxing bout with Mayweather featuring.

MMA as a whole still has along way to go to be able to challenge Boxing in the buyrates

If they're going to reschedule, I'm sure they'd like to do it for the week before.

I would think that they'd like to have people spend their money on a UFC product BEFORE the boxing PPV comes on.

If somebody spends $70 or whatever a Mayweather fight costs, they may not want to drop $50 the next week on the UFC.

Archived