Nate marquardt says hardy doesn't deserve gsp

The_Power

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10515&zoneid=2

It's no secret that there were some critics that questioned the placement of Dan Hardy as the No. 1 contender for Georges St-Pierre's welterweight title coming up at UFC 111 in March. One person who agrees with that assessment is St-Pierre's longtime training partner Nate Marquardt, who commented on the upcoming fight recently.

Speaking with MMAWeekly Radio before his own match-up against Chael Sonnen, Marquardt didn't hold back when speaking about the brash British fighter.

"Some of the fans, hearing them talk and stuff, some of the fans are very passionate about Dan Hardy," he said. "Georges is just on another level. I honestly don't even think he deserves to be fighting Georges, but anyone, especially Dan Hardy, definitely has knockout power and Georges has to take that seriously."

The skill set that St-Pierre possesses is undeniable, and Marquardt believes that the gap in talent between GSP and Hardy is vast.

"He's so well rounded, and Dan Hardy's definitely not," the middleweight contender commented about St-Pierre and Hardy. "I think Georges could beat him in just a stand-up war, but when you throw everything else in there, Dan's in some serious trouble."

Marquardt understands the point of having new people fight St-Pierre, who has been nothing short of dominant, but he's quick to pay a compliment to other top contenders in the division gunning for a rematch.

"I think guys like Koscheck, Fitch, or even Alves, those guys gave him a very tough fight, even though he dominated the whole fight, those guys are very tough," Marquardt stated. "Any one of those guys could give him a great rematch."

Regardless of who else might get a shot, Hardy is currently in line, but Marquardt has full confidence in his friend and training partner.

"I think it should be an easy fight for Georges."

Not sure it's Nate's place to say who is selected for a title shot, even if it is probably true.

Should he be sacked like Natasha and Logan were for their disparaging remarks?!

Though he makes a good point about rematches, we've seen it all before and I doubt any previous contenders have anything new to trouble GSP with. Let Dan have his day IMO.

Nate Marquardt is right...but we can't have the same guys fighting each other over and over again. I'm not opposed at all to the occasional wildcard up and comer getting a shot.

I agree with you. I Wasn't really intrested in seeing St.Pierre vs Fitch 2. Koscheck lost to GSP before but neither were champion at the time. If Kos can win his next fight or 2 then i say give him a shot.

I just want to have the pleasure of seeing Hardy quit like BJ did. Anybody GSP has ever faced in the UFC could beat Hardy. Alves, Hughes, Fitch, Koscheck, Penn, Parysian, Miller, maybe even Serra and Trigg could beat Hardy. His stand up is hugely overrated and his ground game is ****

I just want to have the pleasure of seeing Hardy quit like BJ did. Anybody GSP has ever faced in the UFC could beat Hardy. Alves' date=' Hughes, Fitch, Koscheck, Penn, Parysian, Miller, maybe even Serra and Trigg could beat Hardy. His stand up is hugely overrated and his ground game is ****[/quote']

Moron!

Moron!

He punches hard. There's not much more to him. He's a purple belt in JJ. Decent, but not excellent. He could've (T)KOd Swick like 3 times in that fight, but instead he wanted to clinch and let him recover. I have no doubts that he could hang with some of the top guys, he just has a LOT of holes in his game that need to be filled in order to be successful at the top. I exaggerated in saying all those guys could beat him, but Kos, Alves Fitch, and a majority of the top competition could most likely beat him. He's overrated, plain and simple.

Not sure it's Nate's place to say who is selected for a title shot' date=' even if it is probably true.

Should he be sacked like Natasha and Logan were for their disparaging remarks?!

Though he makes a good point about rematches, we've seen it all before and I doubt any previous contenders have anything new to trouble GSP with. Let Dan have his day IMO.[/quote']

What did Natasha and Logan say? I havent heard anything about this and I would be interested to hear.

Nate is obviously a fan of rematches because he desperately wants one himself.

What did Natasha and Logan say? I havent heard anything about this and I would be interested to hear.

it was about Kos's "eye poke" drama when facing Anthony Johnson, something about what they said about the situation got'em canned or some bs.

I think Nate stated his opinion in a respectful way but there are a lot of people trashing Hardy pretty badly needlessly.

Lots think that Hardy doesn't deserve a shot but in reality he beat Mike Swick who was 100 percent in line for the next title shot so it's not that far-fetched when there are no real rankings. If he really doesn't deserve the shot than he will get humiliated against GSP and will probably never get another title shot against him in his life (especially with the growing trend of fans not wanting to see a champ defend against the same person twice anymore).

IMO that beat down is exactly what is going to happen but I'm not going to bash Hardy for taking the great opportunity (even though on a personal level I can't stand him).

They were talking about the Kos/Rumble fight on some internet clip and offered their opinions (that kos was cheating with the eyepoke) and the UFc let them go.

There's athread or two around on here, if you seek you will find.

it was about Kos's "eye poke" drama when facing Anthony Johnson' date=' something about what they said about the situation got'em canned or some bs.[/quote']

Someone should have sat these girls down on day one and let them know that they're nothing but meat hired to fill a pair of booty shorts...nobody cares about their idiotic opinions and nobody wants to hear their half-wit analysis of anything to do with MMA...just carry the goddamn sign, blow a few kisses at the camera and keep your mouths shut. Seriously, how dumb do you have to be to blow a gig like that?

i too agree with this. although i do hope gsp is not underestimateing Hardy

I think he learned from the Serra fight, hence why he has looked better in each fight since. Compound that with the fact that Hardy's talking ****, GSP does not like trash talkers, see BJ for example. I don't think he could even say his own name after that 4 round trashing.

Hardy does not deserve to be in the same octagon as GSP when comparing talent but he deserves his shot due to the fact the UFC underestimated him and in no way thought it possible for him to beat Swick. Why not offer Hardy a title shot if he beat Swick, like it's gonna happen right? Oops. What's done is done and it will be nice to see a new face in there against GSP.

He said Hardy will be dominated basically. Marquardt got dominated by Anderson Silva and he's talking about other people being dominated? I hope Hardy ko's GSP. Whether that happens or not Hardy deserves a shot. He's earned it just like everyone else. Let em fight!

No noob he hasen't earned it like everyone else, cant you read? Jeezus Christ! But go ahead and put some cash on Hardy, why not, I still buy lottery tickets even though I'm not gonna come close to winning in this lifetime.

No noob he hasen't earned it like everyone else' date=' cant you read? Jeezus Christ! But go ahead and put some cash on Hardy, why not, I still buy lottery tickets even though I'm not gonna come close to winning in this lifetime.[/quote']

If beating Akihiro Gono, Rory Markham, Marcus Davis, and #1 contender at the time Mike Swick isn't earning it? I dont know what is?

If beating Akihiro Gono' date=' Rory Markham, Marcus Davis, and #1 contender at the time Mike Swick isn't earning it? I dont know what is?[/quote']

Swick wasn't the number one contender, he was supposed to fight Kampmann for that right but got injured. Hardy was a fill in and beating 4 nobodies in the UFC does not make you a title contender. Swick is one of the most over rated fighters ever. Take a look at the records of the last 3 fighters GSP has fought before they faced GSP. This is what's considered worthy as a title contender.

Swick wasn't the number one contender' date=' he was supposed to fight Kampmann for that right but got injured. Hardy was a fill in and beating 4 nobodies in the UFC does not make you a title contender. Swick is one of the most over rated fighters ever. Take a look at the records of the last 3 fighters GSP has fought before they faced GSP. This is what's considered worthy as a title contender.[/quote']

You know how many guys in the UFC in the welterweight division who have had the success that Thiago Alves, BJ Penn and Jon Fitch have had? Besides Matt Hughes, nobody. And the ufc isnt going to keep putting GSP against these 3 over & over again. It'll get boring. They're looking for new contenders and winning 4 fights in a row against good opponents is worthy of a shot. Fitch, Alves, Koscheck are the 3 contenders that everyone brings up of a title shot. Alves hasnt fought since his GSP match, Koscheck is next in line IMO, & Fitch has won his last 3 fights by decision. Hardy is next in line of new face contenders then i believe Kos will be next.

You know how many guys in the UFC in the welterweight division who have had the success that Thiago Alves' date=' BJ Penn and Jon Fitch have had? Besides Matt Hughes, nobody. And the ufc isnt going to keep putting GSP against these 3 over & over again. It'll get boring. They're looking for new contenders and winning 4 fights in a row against good opponents is worthy of a shot. Fitch, Alves, Koscheck are the 3 contenders that everyone brings up of a title shot. Alves hasnt fought since his GSP match, Koscheck is next in line IMO, & Fitch has won his last 3 fights by decision. Hardy is next in line of new face contenders then i believe Kos will be next.[/quote']

You have your answer. Hardy should have beaten one of the next level fighters like Fitch, Kos or Alves to earn the right to be beaten half to death by GSP. He did not earn his right to face GSP like everyone else did, that's a fact. It was given to him because of the lack of competition for GSP at WW. So when people use the term earned it's a poor choice of words. Winning 4 fights in the UFC earns you another fight, winning 4 fights against the top contenders earns you the right to face the undisputed champion.

You have your answer. Hardy should have beaten one of the next level fighters like Fitch' date=' Kos or Alves to earn the right to be beaten half to death by GSP. He did not earn his right to face GSP like everyone else did, that's a fact. It was given to him because of the lack of competition for GSP at WW. So when people use the term earned it's a poor choice of words. Winning 4 fights in the UFC earns you another fight, winning 4 fights against the top contenders earns you the right to face the undisputed champion.[/quote']

Either way the WW division is stacked to no tomorrow and whoever GSP faces it'll be good.

First and foremost, I hope GSP gtfo. I can't stand that greased up Canadian. That being said, there is no way Hardy deserves this fight. I understand Dana wants to get MMA popular in the UK but there is no justification for giving this guy a title shot. I would rather see a rematch with Fitch, Alves, Kos or even BJ before seeing him fight this guy. I would also like to see a bunch of these rematches then him moving to WW to fight some guys like Akiyama, Belcher, and Maia.. people he will just lay on for rounds at a time.

Archived