GSP talks about possible middleweight move:Video link

The_Power

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/01/17/georges-st-pierre-mulls-permanent-move-to-middleweight/

There has been a lot of speculation recently about UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre and a possible move up to the 185-pound class. While he has for the most part stayed away from discussing to move up, GSP took some time to talk about what it would take if he did indeed decide to vacate his welterweight title and test himself against bigger competition.

If I move up, I have to do it with my diet. I can?t do it in one month. I?m a natural guy, I would want to do it properly,? GSP told MMAFighting.com.

?I'm already much bigger than I was when I fought Alves,? St. Pierre said. ?I'm 8 pounds bigger than I was when I fought Alves. I used to walk around at 185, now I walk around at 193. If I do it, I need to get even bigger, I need to get past 200. If I do it too, there's one thing, if I go up to fight at the185 division I cannot go back down. It's easier to go up than going back down.?

Aside from the challenge of properly gaining weight and getting himself ready to take on the middleweight elite, GSP noted that there are other obstacles in the way.

?I have a lot of friends that fight at 185,? St. Pierre said. ?I will never fight a friend. I have Nathan Marquardt, Patrick Cote, David Loisseau, Denis Kang... I have a bunch of guys that I train with that fight in that division, and I will never fight a friend. Hockey is a game, mixed martial arts is a sport, but it is not a game.

You say, ?I'm going to play hockey, I'm going to play football,' but you do not say, 'I'm going to play fighting.? Because, let's say I'm in mount position - I always say that for an example - if I'm in mount position, and it's time to land that big elbow that will leave a scar on the forehead of my friend and give him cerebral damage, if he's my friend I will never do that. I have already fought some guys that are acquaintances, but never a real friend, and my training partners, for me, they are friends.?

I know there are a few people on this forum that think friends should fight friends but i think GSP has a point. An acquaintance is one thing but scaring or giving a friend a black eye or cutting him that he may require stitches. And seeing him often after that knowing you did that damage. I don't think i will feel good about that.

I do believe that eventually he will have to go to middleweight.

Watch the video' date=' forward to 1:53 ... listen...[/quote']

oh okay i guess i wasnt listening at that. but that's just his accent. I'm from Montreal but I'm not french canadian. It's just the way some french people talk depending on how good there english pronounciation is. Usualy words that start with H, the H is left out. and with some words there is a extra letter added as in this case.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/01/17/georges-st-pierre-mulls-permanent-move-to-middleweight/

I know there are a few people on this forum that think friends should fight friends but i think GSP has a point. An acquaintance is one thing but scaring or giving a friend a black eye or cutting him that he may require stitches. And seeing him often after that knowing you did that damage. I don't think i will feel good about that.

I do believe that eventually he will have to go to middleweight.

Long time reader and first time poster. I agree 100% with this post. I do think that GSP would do well in the middleweight class, but I wouldn't want him to go straight at the title. I would have really liked him to fight henderson, as i think stylistically they would match up pretty well. I think when he DOES move up to middleweight i think he will fight a few of the gatekeepers such as Bisping or Okami. I think he'll beat up on Hardy badly then one or two more fights at WW before moving up.

Is it strange that I wouldnt have a problem fighting my friends. I understand why GSP wouldn't want to but I am quite different.

Would you have a problem smashing your mothers face in? If so, then I think you might have a problem and if you dont look at your friends with the same uneasy feelings about becomming their new plastic surgeon, you dont have a real friend, and that's a shame.

I would like to atleast see GSP put away 2 or 3 more contenders at WW' date=' he needs to cement his legacy as best WW the UFC has had.[/quote']

Agreed.

He will loose a couple of fights if he moves up. His skill will get him through though but he will lack in the strength department. Those guys are much bigger and cut down as GSP has always done. Now he is putting on lbs to get in there. He sounds like he knows what he wants to do and how to do it in the best way.

GO GSP. Destroy Semtex then walk away. Show him that your to good and are moving on & up. It will annoy him to know that he is too far away from your level yet.

Yes GSP, go ahead and wait until you weigh 200 pounds. By that time, Anderson Silva should have cleaned everyone in the division out and will probably move up to LHW or retire. That way you won't have to fight anyone significant and can cement your legacy as the best pound for pound fighter. Awesome plan. Oh and if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not the biggest fan of that greased up Canadian.

Yes GSP' date=' go ahead and wait until you weigh 200 pounds. By that time, Anderson Silva should have cleaned everyone in the division out and will probably move up to LHW or retire. That way you won't have to fight anyone significant and can cement your legacy as the best pound for pound fighter. Awesome plan. Oh and if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not the biggest fan of that greased up Canadian.[/quote']

Dude what is your beef with GSP? My guess is that you have a huge nude poster of BJ Penn hanging up in your room and you cried yourself to sleep after St. Pierre smashed his face in and made him quit. It's ok man, just let it go, it's not your fault. Penn just prefers to run underwater while holding a rock rather than train for his fights. It's not your fault man, it's not your fault.

Yes GSP' date=' go ahead and wait until you weigh 200 pounds. By that time, Anderson Silva should have cleaned everyone in the division out and will probably move up to LHW or retire. That way you won't have to fight anyone significant and can cement your legacy as the best pound for pound fighter. Awesome plan. Oh and if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not the biggest fan of that greased up Canadian.[/quote']

I like how u finish ur thread , u prove me u a racist and a hater .

GSP is the greater ww in ufc history ever , u can choice to ignore that because of a corner man mistake .

OOO yeah next time before u go on a forum remove bj ball from ur mouth .

• 2 weeks later...
Yes GSP' date=' go ahead and wait until you weigh 200 pounds. By that time, Anderson Silva should have cleaned everyone in the division out and will probably move up to LHW or retire. That way you won't have to fight anyone significant and can cement your legacy as the best pound for pound fighter. Awesome plan. Oh and if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not the biggest fan of that greased up Canadian.[/quote']wow dude i have been to so many different threads today and everytime i saw your name you bash gsp...if he is going to move up he is going to do it when he is ready and healthy he is the champion...he cant afford to injure his body just because he wants to test himself...if he has to defend his title why would he even bother trying to gain that much weight to move up? he knows he has to defend his belt so it would make no sense for him to subject his body to that kind of punishment. When gsp does move up im sure that it will be on his own time because when your the champion there is only one type of speed your speed.

Dude what is your beef with GSP? My guess is that you have a huge nude poster of BJ Penn hanging up in your room and you cried yourself to sleep after St. Pierre smashed his face in and made him quit. It's ok man' date=' just let it go, it's not your fault. Penn just prefers to run underwater while holding a rock rather than train for his fights. It's not your fault man, it's not your fault.[/quote']

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Fantastic, I'm so sick of these GSP haters/BJ fanboys.

I think GSP will move up. I think he should wait until he sets a new record for title defenses first, and that's what I think he has in mind. I don't think he's waiting for A. Silva to move up or retire because if GSP gains enough weight and gets big enough, he has a realistic chance at beating A. Silva.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Fantastic' date=' I'm so sick of these GSP haters/BJ fanboys.

I think GSP will move up. I think he should wait until he sets a new record for title defenses first, and that's what I think he has in mind. I don't think he's waiting for A. Silva to move up or retire because if GSP gains enough weight and gets big enough, he has a realistic chance at beating A. Silva.[/quote']

I agree. What I like is his willingness to give anybody a shot at the title. Anderson would never agree to a fight against a guy like Hardy.

I wonder what Hughes or BJ or Alves thinks about being insignificant?

Archived