GSP to Middleweight // Who do you want him to fight ?!

Cagefighter9

GSP has announced this week that he was on his way to middleweight division in a near future. He also announced that he won't fight his friends or training partner in Nate Marquart, Patrick Cote and Denis Kang ( anyway who care about Denis Kang )

Who would you like to see him fight in his first apperance in the middleweight division before having a superfight with The spider.?!

GSP has announced this week that he was on his way to middleweight division in a near future. He also announced that he won't fight his friends or training partner in Nate Marquart' date=' Patrick Cote and Denis Kang ( anyway who care about Denis Kang )

Who would you like to see him fight in his first apperance in the middleweight division before having a superfight with The spider.?![/quote']

They let Kang go. I say Demian Maia or Chael Sonnen

If Penn can enter the welterweight and get a title shot, then GSP should be able to do the same at Lightweight.

I think he should stay in welterweight. Skill can only take you so far, but when you get in the octagon with a larger human being, its just a matter of time before you run into one who will beat your **** back to your weight class.

He is a dominant welterweight, but you are dreaming if you think he will be a dominant lightweight. Silva would kill GSP

If Penn can enter the welterweight and get a title shot' date=' then GSP should be able to do the same at Lightweight.

I think he should stay in welterweight. Skill can only take you so far, but when you get in the octagon with a larger human being, its just a matter of time before you run into one who will beat your **** back to your weight class.

He is a dominant welterweight, but you are dreaming if you think he will be a dominant lightweight. Silva would kill GSP[/quote']

You appear to have your weight classes mixed up.

If Penn can enter the welterweight and get a title shot' date=' then GSP should be able to do the same at Lightweight.

He is a dominant welterweight, but you are dreaming if you think he will be a dominant lightweight. Silva would kill GSP[/quote']

You read too much without actually knowing anything. How tall is Rashad Evans and he fights @ LHW. How tall is Wandy and he was the most dominant MW of all time. GSP has reach advantage on both these fighters and is more well rounded. When he fights @ MW he will weigh about 205-210 which would be an average size MW and a 20-25 lb cut and have more talent than every one except A Silva, and even that's debatable.

You read too much without actually knowing anything. How tall is Rashad Evans and he fights @ LHW. How tall is Wandy and he was the most dominant MW of all time. GSP has reach advantage on both these fighters and is more well rounded. When he fights @ MW he will weigh about 205-210 which would be an average size MW and a 20-25 lb cut and have more talent than every one except Silva' date=' and even that's debatable.[/quote']

I honestly don't think that he would get up to 210 on fight night.

I think it's more likely that he will fight between 195-200. Cutting 25lbs is a little excessive, and being that he likes to grapple, I don't think he'd want his cardio to take a hit from having to cut too much weight.

I could be wrong, though. :P

BTW.. I would consider a 210lb MW to be amongst the biggest in the division. No way that he would only be 'average' sized, as I doubt that even Anderson weighs any more than that on fight night.

I suppose you mean Middleweight... But yes, GSP is not going to prevail for very long.

I honestly don't think that he would get up to 210 on fight night.

I think it's more likely that he will fight between 195-200. Cutting 25lbs is a little excessive' date=' and being that he likes to grapple, I don't think he'd want his cardio to take a hit from having to cut too much weight.

I could be wrong, though. :P

BTW.. I would consider a 210lb MW to be amongst the biggest in the division. No way that he would only be 'average' sized, as I doubt that even Anderson weighs any more than that on fight night.[/quote']

He just quoted he would want to be 205 at least and considering he's walking around at about 195 now, this is not too far off.

(EDIT) Anderson Silva is currently walking around @ 225 with a MW title defense coming up.

He just quoted he would want to be 205 at least and considering he's walking around at about 195 now' date=' this is not too far off.

(EDIT) Anderson Silva is currently walking around @ 225 with a MW title defense coming up.[/quote']

Keep in mind that walk-around weight is NOT the weight that most fighters fight at.

Georges fights at his walk-around weight, because he always like to stay in shape. Anderson, on the other hand, likes his Big Macs when he's not fighting :P

Keep in mind that walk-around weight is NOT the weight that most fighters fight at.

Georges fights at his walk-around weight' date=' because he always like to stay in shape. Anderson, on the other hand, likes his Big Macs when he's not fighting :P[/quote']

Walking around weight is the ideal weight a fighter want's to weigh at fight time,

Walking around weight is the ideal weight a fighter want's to weigh at fight time' date='[/quote']

Absolutely not.

There's a BIG difference between walk-around weight and fight-ready weight.

225 might work for Anderson as a LHW, but it will NOT work at MW. No way in hell he cuts 40lbs.

Walk-around is just that.. the weight at which they walk around on a daily basis.

Once they start training for a fight, they get into fight shape and will drop any extra (read: fat) weight that they have gained while letting themselves go.

What's funny about the whole "GSP to WW" idea is that the only reason this idea came up was because people wanted to see him fight Anderson Silva. No one is interested in him waiting around until Silva retires/moves up just so he can come in and clean out the fighters that are left in Silva's wake. GSP vs Belcher, GSP vs Akiyama, GSP vs Maia.. I mean are you guys serious? There would be nothing different from those fights, he will lay on those guys the same he lays on the welterweights he fights now. I guess you're just GSP fan boys who want to see him run through some sub par competition so you can make the claim he is the p4p best.

Where did you see this announcement that St. Pierre made? I can't find anything that says he was on his way up to middleweight.

He didn't make that announcement. He said he is gaining weight and would eventually have to move up to MW because it would be too difficult to move back down considering the weight gain he is having is due to muscle mass. When this time comes he also said he would want to weight 200 lbs at least, then went on to mention all his friends he wouldn't fight @ MW

What's funny about the whole "GSP to WW" idea is that the only reason this idea came up was because people wanted to see him fight Anderson Silva. No one is interested in him waiting around until Silva retires/moves up just so he can come in and clean out the fighters that are left in Silva's wake. GSP vs Belcher' date=' GSP vs Akiyama, GSP vs Maia.. I mean are you guys serious? There would be nothing different from those fights, he will lay on those guys the same he lays on the welterweights he fights now. I guess you're just GSP fan boys who want to see him run through some sub par competition so you can make the claim he is the p4p best.[/quote']

6869-JonFitch_0133.jpg

Yeah, GSP just 'lays' on his opponents. :rolleyes:

Walking around weight is the ideal weight a fighter want's to weigh at fight time' date='[/quote']

Isn't a fighters' walking around weight generally heavier that their fight time weight. I always thought walking around weight was how much a fighter weighs when he's not in the middle of a training camp, so he would be carrying a couple extra pounds because he's not in training. Then once the he hits his stride in training camp and sheds those lbs., that becomes his ideal fighting weight. I don't know though, I could be wrong.

What's funny about the whole "GSP to WW" idea is that the only reason this idea came up was because people wanted to see him fight Anderson Silva. No one is interested in him waiting around until Silva retires/moves up just so he can come in and clean out the fighters that are left in Silva's wake. GSP vs Belcher' date=' GSP vs Akiyama, GSP vs Maia.. I mean are you guys serious? There would be nothing different from those fights, he will lay on those guys the same he lays on the welterweights he fights now. I guess you're just GSP fan boys who want to see him run through some sub par competition so you can make the claim he is the p4p best.[/quote']

just to let u know i cant stand GSP lol. and i said Maia cuz id like to see someone make GSP tapout.

Isn't a fighters' walking around weight generally heavier that their fight time weight. I always thought walking around weight was how much a fighter weighs when he's not in the middle of a training camp' date=' so he would be carrying a couple extra pounds because he's not in training. Then once the he hits his stride in training camp and sheds those lbs., that becomes his ideal fighting weight. I don't know though, I could be wrong.[/quote']

You are correct.

This applies to most fighters. GSP, however, is ALWAYS in fight shape.

Absolutely not.

There's a BIG difference between walk-around weight and fight-ready weight.

225 might work for Anderson as a LHW' date=' but it will NOT work at MW. No way in hell he cuts 40lbs.

Walk-around is just that.. the weight at which they walk around on a daily basis.

Once they start training for a fight, they get into fight shape and will drop any extra (read: fat) weight that they have gained while letting themselves go.[/quote']

What fighter just walks around eatin McD's and BBQ these days. In general a fighter is always in shape and when they "enter camp" it's to train for a specific opponent for an upcomming fight not to lose weight. There is a reason why people mention walking around weight and it's not just from curiosity. I respectfully disagree with you on this one. BTW Tiago Alves was reported to weigh 210-215 for his UFC 100 fight with GSP. A 40-45 lb cut at WW. Silva may not weight 225 when he defends @ MW since he is not commited yet but 30 lb cut is not out of the question as was the case with his fight with Forrest.

What fighter just walks around eatin McD's and BBQ these days. In general a fighter is always in shape and when they "enter camp" it's to train for a specific opponent for an upcomming fight not to lose weight. There is a reason why people mention walking around weight and it's not just from curiosity. I respectfully disagree with you on this one. BTW Tiago Alves was reported to weigh 210-215 for his UFC 100 fight with GSP. A 40-45 lb cut at WW. Silva may not weight 225 when he defends @ MW since he is not commited yet but 30 lb cut is not out of the question as was the case with his fight with Forrest.

It's unlikely that Thiago weighed anywhere over 200lbs for his fight with Georges. I would put him at 195, tops.

FYI, a LOT of fighters gain weight when they're not training for a fight. They don't have to diet and watch what they eat. Once they start serious training and dieting, the weight starts to come off.

If Anderson starts a training camp at 230lbs, it's likely that he'll lose between 20-25lbs before he attempts to cut weight. In the week or so leading up to the fight, he will alter his diet even further. He will cut out ALL unnecessary fats and carbs. Fish, chicken and salad are regular meals in the week leading up to a fight. By the day of the weigh-ins, he's likely down to about 200lbs, if not less. Then he'll shed the rest of the weight before getting on the scale and rehydrating. This is common knowledge.

I'm not flaming you, as I think you're one of the more respectable posters on these forums, but I just feel the need to clarify the situation.

nice move for GSP!!! hes gona wipe out the middleweight division' date=' with the exception of his homies.. this also means that he could one day fight A. Silva, which would be HUGE[/quote']

A Silva is boored too. Machida will loose his belt. A Silva will move up and so will GSP. They wont meet.

It's unlikely that Thiago weighed anywhere over 200lbs for his fight with Georges. I would put him at 195' date=' tops.

FYI, a LOT of fighters gain weight when they're not training for a fight. They don't have to diet and watch what they eat. Once they start serious training and dieting, the weight starts to come off.

If Anderson starts a training camp at 230lbs, it's likely that he'll lose between 20-25lbs before he attempts to cut weight. In the week or so leading up to the fight, he will alter his diet even further. He will cut out ALL unnecessary fats and carbs. Fish, chicken and salad are regular meals in the week leading up to a fight. By the day of the weigh-ins, he's likely down to about 200lbs, if not less. Then he'll shed the rest of the weight before getting on the scale and rehydrating. This is common knowledge.

I'm not flaming you, as I think you're one of the more respectable posters on these forums, but I just feel the need to clarify the situation.[/quote']

Appreciate that man. Alves weight was reported by GSP's camp and by GSP himself during the Q&A for UFC 105. I can only go by what a reputable sourse relays not what I assume is correct. So if I'm reading your explaination correctly your saying Silva would weigh approximately 200 lbs for a MW fight? Please clarify why there is any reference to walking around weight when this has absolutely nothing to do with the weight a fighter will weigh on fight night and have no effect on the outcome. Thanks. :)

Appreciate that man. Alves weight was reported by GSP's camp and by GSP himself during the Q&A for UFC 105. I can only go by what a reputable sourse relays not what I assume is correct. So if I'm reading your explaination correctly your saying Silva would weigh approximately 200 lbs for a MW fight? Please clarify why there is any reference to walking around weight when this has absolutely nothing to do with the weight a fighter will weigh on fight night and have no effect on the outcome. Thanks. :)

Well I never read anything about Alves' weight, so that's just what I was assuming. If it's been reported as otherwise, then I guess I'm wrong.

A lot of people like to talk about 'walk-around' weight, as they like to use that as an example of a fighter being 'bigger' than the other. In reality, walk-around weight doesn't have much of an impact on fight night. It may mean that their body is able to bulk up quicker after the weight cut (I'm just assuming, as I'm not a dietitian), but I'm not really too sure.

If I had to guess, I would assume that Anderson weighs anywhere from 200-210 on the night of the fight. He's a pretty big guy, and I'm sure that his body holds a fair amount of water.

By comparison, GSP isn't as big of a guy. I'm sure that if he bulked up enough, he could likely weigh the same as Anderson, but he may have a worse time with the cut. If he has too hard of a weight-cut, it may affect his cardio and his performance would suffer.

As it is, he cuts about 15lbs to fight at WW. I guess that if he added more weight, it's likely he could safely cut 20lbs, giving him the ability to fight at 205 on the night of the fight.

As I've been debating this with you, I've thought a little more about it, which is why there may be some discrepancies between my posts.

Sorry for any confusion.

Glad you posted that picture of Fitch, like it was going to do anything to sway my opinion. The only thing I take away from that photo, is the fact that Fitch is a fkin fighter. Beat his **** as much as you want, and he still came forward. Thats why he looks the way he does, because he kept coming forward. GSP couldn't lay on him the full 5 rounds, or I'm sure he would have like he did to Alves or BJ. Hell if you want me to post a pic of Gray Maynard after that Nate Diaz fight I can do that too, and it won't prove a damn thing. And yes, he lays on people. Sorry I don't see those knees to Serra's body as 'vicious ground and pound'

just to let u know i cant stand GSP lol. and i said Maia cuz id like to see someone make GSP tapout.

Sorry man, I meant no offense either way. But since you said it, hell ya I hope someone taps his **** out. For some reason I can never get enough of the Matt Serra and Matt Hughes fights where they whoop his ****. Especially Serra... I chuckle everytime I see him tap out.

Glad you posted that picture of Fitch' date=' like it was going to do anything to sway my opinion. The only thing I take away from that photo, is the fact that Fitch is a fkin fighter. Beat his **** as much as you want, and he still came forward. Thats why he looks the way he does, because he kept coming forward. GSP couldn't lay on him the full 5 rounds, or I'm sure he would have like he did to Alves or BJ. Hell if you want me to post a pic of Gray Maynard after that Nate Diaz fight I can do that too, and it won't prove a damn thing. And yes, he lays on people. [b']Sorry I don't see those knees to Serra's body as 'vicious ground and pound'[/b]

I guess you've never been kneed in the ribs before.

Would you like me to demonstrate?

Well I never read anything about Alves' weight' date=' so that's just what I was assuming. If it's been reported as otherwise, then I guess I'm wrong.

A lot of people like to talk about 'walk-around' weight, as they like to use that as an example of a fighter being 'bigger' than the other. In reality, walk-around weight doesn't have much of an impact on fight night. It may mean that their body is able to bulk up quicker after the weight cut (I'm just assuming, as I'm not a dietitian), but I'm not really too sure.

If I had to guess, I would assume that Anderson weighs anywhere from 200-210 on the night of the fight. He's a pretty big guy, and I'm sure that his body holds a fair amount of water.

By comparison, GSP isn't as big of a guy. I'm sure that if he bulked up enough, he could likely weigh the same as Anderson, but he may have a worse time with the cut. If he has too hard of a weight-cut, it may affect his cardio and his performance would suffer.

As it is, he cuts about 15lbs to fight at WW. I guess that if he added more weight, it's likely he could safely cut 20lbs, giving him the ability to fight at 205 on the night of the fight.

As I've been debating this with you, I've thought a little more about it, which is why there may be some discrepancies between my posts.

Sorry for any confusion.[/quote']

No worries, lol. GSP added 8 lbs of muscle so we're looking at a 20-25 lb weight cut for the Hardy fight which I'm sure he has already tested and passed knowing how thorough his camp is.

No worries' date=' lol. GSP added 8 lbs of muscle so we're looking at a 20-25 lb weight cut for the Hardy fight which I'm sure he has already tested and passed knowing how thorough his camp is.[/quote']

Yeah. I've been thinking about that, too.

He's gonna be a freakin' MONSTER for this fight!!

Sorry man' date=' I meant no offense either way. But since you said it, hell ya I hope someone taps his **** out. For some reason I can never get enough of the Matt Serra and Matt Hughes fights where they whoop his ****. Especially Serra... I chuckle everytime I see him tap out.[/quote']

Serra's one of my favorites. My personal favorite KO next to Hendo of Bisping. I doubt it'll happen but I would love to see Hardy knock em out.

YOu must be a B***J** PENN fan boy eh? B***J** got beat no need to hate the man who beat him

GSP vs Sonnen or belfort would be sweet

Belcher

Belcher is slow, and boring. I just watched the replay of him versus Akiyama, in which I listened to the people in the bar, whom thought Belcher won. Belcher got beat down by Akiyama, who was alot smaller then he is, and he complained afterwards too. Heck, he got beat up by Ed Herman, but won the decision.

I'd want to see GSP versus someone that has excellent striking and takedown defense. I'd have to say Yushin Okami. That would be a good tuneup fight.

Archived