How will Frankie Edgar approach BJ Penn.

ForrestGriffinFan101

Stay on the outside and counter punch much like Sean sherk fight but that wont last BJ will catch him maybe

but Frankie is very good at keeping to the gameplan

so frankie might have a chance if he is able to hold BJ off

he might not but hell im pulling for Frankie

Frankie needs to aim for that big head!!

Secret to beating BJ

1. Leg kicks...and a few heand kicks

2. Attack style....Like fedor.....dont let BJ pick you apart.

3. Still would be cardio...but you have to do something to wear him out besides those poor take down attempts by Florian and Diego.

4.Say something about his big head during the fight......LOL,,,,,

I think the best way for Edgar to stop this fight is as soon as the bell rings he should tap out. Save himself an epic @$$ whoopin. I like Frankie Edgar but I dont think he is anywhere near BJ's level. If anyone knows who Diamond Dave the "Ninjin" is, i think he is the one to beat BJ.

You really think Edgar can outbox Penn?

Well... Stranger things HAVE happened..

No, I don't think so. but he'd outbox him before he'd take him down, avoid subs, and GNP him, that's for sure. I see 5 rounds of boxing, penn getting the decision but edgar holds his own.

I think he has to focus on leg kicks like someone else said earlier (I can't recall seeing Edgar do a lot of Muay Thai in his fights tho). If their effective, it may be possible to attempt an easier takedown in the later rounds if he lasts that long. Unless you're significanly bigger or stronger than Penn, which Edgar is neither, the takedown attempts appear to be a waste of time so something has to be done to take away his leg strength and balance prior. But if I'm a judge and Edgar hasnt done anything significant by the championship rounds all three rounds will be given to B.J. which means he MUST either submit or knockout Penn to win the fight in the 4th or 5th.

SYNOPSIS...Edgar has little to no chance of winning this fight.

Edgar has no chance against Bj. I'm sorry but Bj is in another dimension on terms of overall skill and experience for that matter. Don't get me wrong, Edgar is good but not in Bj's league. The only way I would see Edgar winning this fight is with a prayer and a miracle. Bj looked pretty damn impressive in his fight against Diego.

Sadly for the entertainment value of the LW division, I can't see any way that a man can beat BJ without a serious physical advantage (i.e. BJ fighting at welterweight...)

Let's see the usual routes to victory...

1. Outstriking an inferior striker...

BJ is probably the best striker in the division. Fail.

2. Outwrestling an inferior wrestler and grinding out a UD/TKO

When BJ is on form (and at 155lbs he IS on form) it's near impossible to take him down given his awesome reactions and balance. Furthermore, even if you should take him down you end up in his guard, which is NOT a survivable place to be because....

3. Taking down and subbing an inferior BJJ guy/someone with pooer sub defence

BJ is arguably one of the best BJJ guys in UFC, nearly on a level with Maia and the Nogs. You will not sub him, HE will sub you.

4. Keep the pace high to wear down his cardio, looking for an opening later in the fight...

The current model BJ Penn has out-cardioed Kenny Florian and Diego Sanchez, and the less-lean previous model made Joe Stevenson and Sean Sherk look like children. I just can't see anyone getting close enough for long enough to wear him down...

I like Edgar but I don't see him taking the belt. Nothing against Edgar but with the current list of fighters in the LW division I don't see anyone even coming close to challenging him any time soon.

I would like to see Miguel Torres transtion into LW and come to the UFC. I think he is the best chance to dethroning the champ.

Stay on the outside and counter punch much like Sean sherk fight but that wont last BJ will catch him maybe

but Frankie is very good at keeping to the gameplan

so frankie might have a chance if he is able to hold BJ off

he might not but hell im pulling for Frankie

pretty much, hopefully bj gets beaten, shake up light weight

pretty much' date=' hopefully bj gets beaten, shake up light weight[/quote']

It would be good although i don't wish it on BJ.

but Diego would drop back to 155 instantly.

by shaken up you mean Anyone can get the title from Edgar..and we get to watch BJ destroy a few more people before getting his title shot again and winning it back.

Regardless of what he does I don't envy him this decision. I think his only option is to gain the equivalent strength of say...20 additional pounds. Grow a good 3 inches. Gain about 5 inches of reach. Become about 25% faster. Get about twice as good at boxing, submission defense and wrestling. Reach an agreement with gravity so that on the day of the fight it will only effect the space he occupies by say 50%.

And THEN he may have a decent shot of losing gracefully. *chuckle*

No but really...he's got a hell of a mountain to climb and I just don't see him reaching the top. The long and short of it is...that Penn has exhausted all viable contenders at LW at this point and if he hadn't already jumped back up to 170 in recent history he'd be on his way there right now. Either way...I see him fighting only one more fight at LW after this before going back up to 170 and challenging top contenders.

Cheers

-DR

Regardless of what he does I don't envy him this decision. I think his only option is to gain the equivalent strength of say...20 additional pounds. Grow a good 3 inches. Gain about 5 inches of reach. Become about 25% faster. Get about twice as good at boxing' date=' submission defense and wrestling. Reach an agreement with gravity so that on the day of the fight it will only effect the space he occupies by say 50%. [/b']

And THEN he may have a decent shot of losing gracefully. *chuckle*

No but really...he's got a hell of a mountain to climb and I just don't see him reaching the top. The long and short of it is...that Penn has exhausted all viable contenders at LW at this point and if he hadn't already jumped back up to 170 in recent history he'd be on his way there right now. Either way...I see him fighting only one more fight at LW after this before going back up to 170 and challenging top contenders.

Cheers

-DR

Thats all ?

It would be good although i don't wish it on BJ.

but Diego would drop back to 155 instantly.

by shaken up you mean Anyone can get the title from Edgar..and we get to watch BJ destroy a few more people before getting his title shot again and winning it back.

HAHA

pretty much

just get bj to go to 170 and take on diego again, chase him about

BJ is nothing at 170' date=' he sucks. He will just get his **** kicked.[/quote']

Hmmm...I gotta disagree. If someone like say Koscheck is considered viable...at 170. And Diego did well at 170. I'd say Penn is at the LEAST decent. To say he sucks is just uneducated. Have you seen his fights against Hughes?

The reality of the situation is..at 170 Penn is pretty easily top 10.

Cheers

-DR

same way he approaches every fight...solid boxing good conditioning good pace. the only way to beat bj penn is to take the fight to him...every time he wins its because he forces opponents to fight his fight. frankie just has to accept the fact that bj is the better striker...and with that said...frankies approach should be to keep a high pace against bj and hope his boxing skills can be at a great level that night. these are my 2 favorite 155lbers in the ufc. I'm a philly guy so i hope Frankie can take this win. He has trained with Eddie Alvarez ( from Philadelphia, across the river from Frankie) and Eddie is currently the number 3 ranked 155lber in the world. Eddie has great boxing and great wrestling...a very similar style to Frankie....hopefully they can get together and come up with a strong game plan against Penn.

Yeh...people that hold the title at 170 deffo suck lol

Bj beat an over the hill overrated Hughes when the WW division was weak to win. Not impressive.

The WW division is stacked now with big powerful fighters! Thats the difference. Bj would not beat any of the top 5 WW's. GSP is out of the question, the new GSP is way bigger and better. Bj will get killed way worse than last time.

I think that Edgars chances are far greater then Diego's, so dont judge this fight by what BJ did to Sanchez. This match up will showcase the two best boxers in the LW division and it will be MUCH more competitive on the feet then say BJ v Diego, KFlo, Sherk, Daddy. What I think Edgar brings to the table is incredible head movement in his stand up, an educated boxing mind frame so he knows proper combos and defence as well as capable wrestling and impressive speed. I think that if Frankie is going to get finished in this fight it will be on the ground, not standing up. All that being said, i can see Edgar being competitive and surviving 5 rounds (and not look like Diego), but i dont see him even getting close to a victory. BJ at 155 is an incredible fighter and is fantastic to watch, he won't lose again in his career if he decides to stay at LW.... but Frankie is the man and will stick in it and suprise the **** out you..

Well Frankies boned either way' date=' [b']standing its deigo all over again[/b], and he couldnt take it to the ground if he wanted to, that being said if it did go to the ground bj would just submit him, sorry frankie

Diego got beat on becuase he doesnt protect his face when he is throwing a strike.. and thats boxing 101 in any gym in world. Throw a left straight jab and keep your right hand up to protect your face, right elbow down to protect your ribs, chin down, and shrug your shoulders for added protection. Diego did'nt do that and got his face turned into meatloaf.. As i said earlier Frankie is probably the 2nd best boxer in the division and will definatly be more impressive then Diego....

..... and this is coming from BJ's biggest fan

Archived