Jackie Chan does not like MMA

freedom

http://fightmarks.com/story.php?title=jackie-chan-does-not-like-mma

"I don't like to see 'ultimate fighting,'" Chan said. "As a martial artist, I find it too violent putting them in a cage. At the end, it's not fighting anymore. That's not the martial arts. Martial arts is about respect. When somebody is knocked down, stop. I really respect Sugar Ray Leonard. Come on, [when a guy is down,] stop. Don't fight. That's not the spirit. When you're down, I'll grab you up. Are you OK? Should we continue? That's the martial arts spirit. That's what I want."

Well, he is a traditional martial artist and I really don't have much of a problem with his comments. Although, I do think he is a bit misled with the amount of violence. But really, Mixed Martial Arts isn't for everyone and especially for those that want to practice the traditional arts.

And really, MMA, is about fighting and not about practicing martial arts in the traditional sense. In martial Arts, it tends to be controlled fighting with a lot of theory behind it. In MMA, you use what works for you. You don't rely on a style or go into a stance. You use what will win you the fight.

Jackie is a bit misinformed with the brutality of MMA. Yes, it looks brutal on tv and can end with someone getting pummeled. However, it has been proven that in the long term that it is much safer to have the fight stopped then to let a fighter get up continuous just to get his head knocked over and over again. Of course, we won't see what the real effects of MMA are on a body until we see fighters retire after doing it their whole life. But really, the amount of punishment boxers take makes mma look like nothing.

Jackie Chan is class act and I respect his opinion. Obviously I disagree with his assessment but he is entitled to not enjoy MMA. Coming from a wrestling background I think it is preposterous to think that once a fighter hits the ground the fight should be over. That's where most fights end up inevitably.

Respect his view and opinion.

Jackie Chan is class act and I respect his opinion. Obviously I disagree with his assessment but he is entitled to not enjoy MMA. Coming from a wrestling background I think it is preposterous to think that once a fighter hits the ground the fight should be over. That's where most fights end up inevitably.

You guys are spot on.

Soulglow, do you remember a bit of our discussion about Kung Fu? I had said many true martial artists especially Kung Fu artists will not participate in MMA because of their art's philosophy. Jackie Chan isn't the greatest English speaking guy, but I can read between the lines and understand him completely.

I respect his view & his opinion but let's be honest. Chan's opinion of MMA is about as significant as a fart in a tornado.

Where he comes from and the philosophy he has grown up with is all against MMA. In his defense, Jackie would say, "If I fight someone, I will allow the person the opportunity to surrender before I do any more harm." It is sort of like the Samurai code of honor......except you dont surrender your life and be decapitated.

Where he comes from and the philosophy he has grown up with is all against MMA. In his defense' date=' Jackie would say, "If I fight someone, I will allow the person the opportunity to surrender before I do any more harm." It is sort of like the Samurai code of honor......except you dont surrender your life and be decapitated.[/quote']

the samurai code of honor is bs perpetrated by western writers. Samurai were warriors who would take any advantage they got. Their aim was to survive and on the battle field they did anything to survive. The

Jackie Chan, with all his TMA training, also trained in traditional Chinese opera. His view on MMA means nothing. He is an actor, a performer, a stuntman...

the samurai code of honor is bs perpetrated by western writers. Samurai were warriors who would take any advantage they got. Their aim was to survive and on the battle field they did anything to survive. The

In warfare' date=' yes, but in peace time there were challenges made and the loser, by the code of honor, relinquishes his life to the victor.

Jackie Chan, with all his TMA training, also trained in traditional Chinese opera. His view on MMA means nothing. He is an actor, a performer, a stuntman...[/quote']

I respect his opinion because I know where he is coming from. Will that change the course of MMA, of course not.

Where he comes from and the philosophy he has grown up with is all against MMA. In his defense' date=' Jackie would say, "If I fight someone, I will allow the person the opportunity to surrender before I do any more harm." It is sort of like the Samurai code of honor......except you dont surrender your life and be decapitated.[/quote']

Funny thing is that you can do much less damage and have much more control of an opponent/attacker with takedown technique and ground fighting/submissions (Demian Maia style)

Plus ref's stop the fight on the ground if/when the figher can't defend himself rather than waiting for him to surrender or get KO'ed on the ground.

That will do much less harm than 1 full power roundhouse kick or uppercut to the head. Unfortunately he's got it backwards.

Archived