If Forrest Griffin retired right now....

Jonnydingo

He will have a spot in the Hall simply because he was the winner of the first TUF season and was half of the most significant fight in UFC history, briniging more new fans to this sport than anyone else, except, unforunately, for Brock and his WWE followers.His skill doesn't warrant a place but he definitely has a place based on that alone.

He will have a spot in the Hall simply because he was the winner of the first TUF season and was half of the most significant fight in UFC history' date=' briniging more new fans to this sport than anyone else, except, unforunately, for Brock and his WWE followers.His skill doesn't warrant a place but he definitely has a place based on that alone.[/quote']

This is also why I think he would make it, having the gold at one point doesn't hurt the HOF resume either.

He will have a spot in the Hall simply because he was the winner of the first TUF season and was half of the most significant fight in UFC history' date=' briniging more new fans to this sport than anyone else, except, unforunately, for Brock and his WWE [b']haters[/b].His skill doesn't warrant a place but he definitely has a place based on that alone.
Everyone I know in real life who watches WWE hates Brock. So I fixed this.

Yes as this is the UFC and not MMA Hall of Fame its all about what he's done for the UFC, and certainly from a business standpoint arguably no one has done as much as Forrest Griffen. Add to that as mention 1st TUF winner Lightheavyweight title winner then he's a shoe in, and re skill he's never been the msot skillfull fighter but he has as big a heart as anyone.

He will have a spot in the Hall simply because he was the winner of the first TUF season and was half of the most significant fight in UFC history' date=' briniging more new fans to this sport than anyone else, except, unforunately, for Brock and his WWE followers.His skill doesn't warrant a place but he definitely has a place based on that alone.[/quote']

+1

Yes as this is the UFC and not MMA Hall of Fame its all about what he's done for the UFC' date=' and certainly from a business standpoint arguably no one has done as much as Forrest Griffen. Add to that as mention 1st TUF winner Lightheavyweight title winner then he's a shoe in, and re skill he's never been the msot skillfull fighter but he has as big a heart as anyone.[/quote']

Yep Yep, I agree with you 100%. Plus he beat Tito, you forgot that one.

Think you're dead on dude!

So does that mean Bonner gets in as well?

Yes I agree Griffin was involved in probably the most pivotal fight in UFC and MMA in North America. Do I think that punches a ticket to the HoF. No.

If the UFC wants its HoF to mean anything it HAS to be based on the fighter's overall career. Multiple titles or a dominate stretch of title defenses ala Silva. Forrest has only 2 significant wins to date. Rampage for the title and Rua after getting beat pillar to post until catching him in a sub. He needs to deliver much more than that IMO to be considered for the hall.

There are 4 fighters currently competing that to me warrant HoF consideration. Anderson Silva, GSP, Penn and Matt Hughes.

They also need to add a coaches/trainer category to the HoF.

Absolutely. He took part in the most important fight in UFC history to date, won the first Ultimate Fighter, and made it all the way up to LHW Champion. The UFC probably wouldn't be where it is at now if it weren't for Forrest Griffin.

Keep in mind, that the Hall of Fame is not just for having the best record possible. It is for outstanding competitors, and contributors to the sport. Forrest Griffin, without a doubt, contributed a lot to the UFC, with the TUF Finale. He is still considered by many casual fans the face of the UFC, as showcased by gracing the cover of the latest UFC game (in the US)

Rampage and Nog both deserve a spot more than Mark Coleman

Its the HoF. You can't discount the early days when Coleman was the ****. Guy reeled off 6 straight UFC wins. Won UFC10 and 11 back during the tourney style events then beat Dan Severn for the firsr ever UFC HW title belt.

With Griffin, Rampage etc you are talking about more modern day UFC fighters fighting in defined weight classes.

Hendo and Wandi deserve MMA HoF entry if there ever is one, but neither have been dominant in the UFC.

If Forrest retired today I dont think he should be in the HOF simply because he's never established a reign of dominance in his division. If you look at everyone who is currenty in the HOF, every fighter has held a title and defended it. Dont get me wrong Forrest is one of my fav fighters, and is never in a boring fight, but he is not on a HOF level yet.

Rampage and Nog both deserve a spot more than Mark Coleman

Coleman is the "inventor" of thr ground and pound, the first UFC HW champion, and the first to show the poptential of wrestling as a neutralizer for BJJ and striking. This would be a very different game had he not done his thing back in the day. He made one of the biggest contributions and had a huge influence not only on the direction of the UFC but all MMA in general. Of course he is a Hall of Famer.

Big Nog is definitely a HOF'er, but I honstly don't see Rampage in that light. He has had a great career, with a list of awesome fights, but his overall record doesn't warrant it on its own, and I can't think of any great contribution he has made to the sport, other than bringing a little theatricallity to PRIDE when they needed it.

And yeah Stephan Bonnar's name will be there too, on the same plaque as Forrest, in speaking of the TV show, and the event that propelled the UFC into the mainstream. Even though Forrest won the fight on the books, it took both of them to make it into the war and game changing moment it was.

Tito deserves more of a spot than Mark Coleman

Wow, really? Without Coleman and his success Tito would have never made it out of Huntington Beach!

Tito

Hughes

Rashad

Sherk...

I could go on and on, they all owe a debt of thanks to Coleman for clearing the path for wrestlers

Wow' date=' really? Without Coleman and his success Tito would have never made it out of Huntington Beach!

Tito

Hughes

Rashad

Sherk...

I could go on and on, they all owe a debt of thanks to Coleman for clearing the path for wrestlers[/quote']

oh im not denying that. Coleman is the father of GnP and paved the way for everyone after, i just think Tito had a much bigger career and brought a lot of attention to the sport. In the UFC that is.

oh im not denying that. Coleman is the father of GnP and paved the way for everyone after' date=' i just think Tito had a much bigger career and brought a lot of attention to the sport. In the UFC that is.[/quote']

I can concede that Tito made a bigger contribution to the marketability of the sport, but as far as impact on the actual sport, hands down Coleman did more.

Fact is Coleman is already there, deservingly, and Tito will be too when it is his time.

And so will Forrest, even if it is just his name mentioned as the first TUF winner or the Bonnar fight, both huge moments in the history of the UFC.

I can concede that Tito made a bigger contribution to the marketability of the sport' date=' but as far as impact on the actual sport, hands down Coleman did more.

Fact is Coleman is already there, deservingly, and Tito will be too when it is his time.

And so will Forrest, even if it is just his name mentioned as the first TUF winner or the Bonnar fight, both huge moments in the history of the UFC.[/quote']

mmm fair enough lol im sold

I'm bored. So if Griffin retired right now do you think he should get inducted into the hall of fame? Debate away : )

Should - no (imo)

Would - yes

Mask was inducted and isn't even a fighter, so the way the hall of fame is assembled seems to me to be a mixture of:

achievement IN the UFC

or

achievement FOR the UFC

What Forrest has done for the UFC in terms of publicity and revenue far outweighs his achievements in the octagon, so he would likely be inducted in to the HOF.

Ugh hes a horrible fighter though. He just happened to be in the right spot at the right time and put on a good show when it counted vs another horrible fighter.

Explain how he's horrible. Losing to Anderson Silva? Who doesn't do that???

The guy has beaten some of THE BEST MMA fighters of all time, he became a champion, and he has incredible heart, and he holds best fight of all time under his belt. Why wouldn't he be a hall of famer?

Yeah this would be the main reason for him being inducted.

But Griffin has still done some great things besides his one fight with Stephan Bonnar. I mean he beat Rampage in a 5 round war to win the LHW belt, in my opinion the most difficult belt to obtain, even harder to keep. Not to mention this guy pours his heart and soul into every fight, you gotta admire that.

Explain how he's horrible. Losing to Anderson Silva? Who doesn't do that???

The guy has beaten some of THE BEST MMA fighters of all time' date=' he became a champion, and he has incredible heart, and he holds best fight of all time under his belt. Why wouldn't he be a hall of famer?[/quote']

This guy didn't just lose to Anderson. Anderson has put away the best (Hendo, Rich). Forrest wasn't finished by Anderson like other opponents Forrest was broken. He waved Anderson off and gave up the fight. While it may have been a smart move it shows a lack of heart when things get bad.

Forrest may have become champ but he failed to defend his belt even once. By that standard alone there are many more legit champs that deserve Hall of Fame status before Forrest. (Matt Hughes and Tito Ortiz based on wins alone as I hate them both >< )

Ill be extremely surprised if he ever becomes a champ again.

This guy didn't just lose to Anderson. Anderson has put away the best (Hendo' date=' Rich). Forrest wasn't finished by Anderson like other opponents Forrest was broken. He waved Anderson off and gave up the fight. While it may have been a smart move it shows a lack of heart when things get bad.

[b']Forrest may have become champ but he failed to defend his belt even once[/b]. By that standard alone there are many more legit champs that deserve Hall of Fame status before Forrest. (Matt Hughes and Tito Ortiz based on wins alone as I hate them both >< )

Ill be extremely surprised if he ever becomes a champ again.

That's because Rashad is a beast. I think Tito will be overlooked, and Matt Hughes will surely be a HOF.

I can understand why people dislike Forrest, but why does anybody dislike Hughes? I think he is pure sport. He had bad blood with Serra, but Serra is a butt.

i'd say yes, because of all the fans he brought to the ufc with that first fight against bonnar. the ufc owes him. and with notable wins over guys like Rampage jackson (to win the title) i think he definitly deserves a spot in the HOF, especially from coming off the show and having the sucess he has had

i'd say yes' date=' because of all the fans he brought to the ufc with that first fight against bonnar. the ufc owes him. and with notable wins over guys like Rampage jackson (to win the title) i think he definitly deserves a spot in the HOF, especially from coming off the show and having the sucess he has had[/quote']

If that's the case then we will never be able to consider it a true Hall of Fame like NFL,NBA and the like. It will just be a UFC's nod to those that helped get them where it is one way or another. Not based on the actual skill/dominance/achievements of the fighters.

Which is fine, but don't keep advertising fights like they are Couture vs Coleman with the whole(queue deep announcer voice) "Two UFC HoFamers in the Octagon for the first time!!" BS.

If that's the case then we will never be able to consider it a true Hall of Fame like NFL' date='NBA and the like. It will just be a UFC's nod to those that helped get them where it is one way or another. Not based on the actual skill/dominance/achievements of the fighters.

Which is fine, but don't keep advertising fights like they are Couture vs Coleman with the whole(queue deep announcer voice) "Two UFC HoFamers in the Octagon for the first time!!" BS.[/quote']

In the "true" halls of fame of every one of the four majors in America there are announcers, mascots, ball boys, trainers, agents, and many other people who never once laced up a pair of shoes or skates, or won any championships, or showed any skill/dominance/achievments of any athlete, but are there due to their contributions to the advancement of the sport. Under this criteria Forrest is as much a Hall of Famer as Couture, Lidell, Hughes, or any other fighter in the game today.

In the other sports there are seperate "wings" for those inducted due to their contributions rather than their records in the sport. Is the UFC Hall set up similarly? If so this is where he belongs, but not in the same wing as the great fighters.

In the "true" halls of fame of every one of the four majors in America there are announcers' date=' mascots, ball boys, trainers, agents, and many other people who never once laced up a pair of shoes or skates, or won any championships, or showed any skill/dominance/achievments of any athlete, but are there due to their contributions to the advancement of the sport. Under this criteria Forrest is as much a Hall of Famer as Couture, Lidell, Hughes, or any other fighter in the game today.

In the other sports there are seperate "wings" for those inducted due to their contributions rather than their records in the sport. Is the UFC Hall set up similarly? If so this is where he belongs, but not in the same wing as the great fighters.[/quote']

RIght now its not. it's just a hall of fame. I agree if they say did a builders category and others for people not inducted due to pure performance in the cage there is a spot for both him. But right now as a fighter on his fighting merits he wouldn't get my vote.

ok i didnt read to much about this thread but i know that he deff shouold be inducted into the hof. i mean DUH! ppl.......he practically started the ufc along with bonnar. cmon. yea u might say hes lost alot..yea he has' date=' but....... he has had the title. and [b']he practically started the ufc[/b].

And with that statement, be prepared for a major flaming, and deservingly.

Forrest was still an ankle biter at the start of the UFC! The first TUF, which he won, and the final fight, brought alot of new fans and excitement to the sport, but that was about 10 or so years after Royce, Shamrock, Pat Smith, and the rest of that wacky bunch started the UFC.

Unless Forrest is a secret love child of Helio Gracie and was whispering in his ear in 1992 to put on a NHB tournament to showcase BJJ, he had f-all to do with "starting the UFC".

Archived