Best of Pride?

SamuraiHart

Well, here is a new thread for all of you begging for a new read, one away from the typical "Best knockout" "Lesnar vs Fedor" and other old news thread.

So I DVR'd the first showing of The Best of Pride Fighting Championship Friday, and finally got time to sit down and watch it. To my surprise, I was pretty upset with it. I am a huge Pride fan dating back to Pride 4, so I am expecting to watch the "absolute" greatest fights, Pride has provided us. Wrong.

Every one of the five fights, starred a UFC fighter. Shogun Rua, Chuck Liddell, Wandy Silva, Quinton Jackson, and Anderson Silva. They did have Gomi vs. Bennett fight, but, rumor has it Gomi has signed to the UFC now. That is the main reason why I was upset, I was waiting to see some real Pride fighters in there from the classic, but instead, I witnessed fighters that are now promoted in the UFC. I don't want to see them in Pride fights, not that I don't like them, but it takes a little bit out of it for me to those guys fight again. Like I haven't already seen them in events, ultimate series, and unleashed. I want to see Fedor, Saku, Igor, Frye, Aoki, Misaki, Arona, and others.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy watching the UFC fighters fight in Pride because they do have some great fights in there, like Hendo and Cro Cop. I'm going to watch the next episode, see if it improves hopefully. Let us see if they have the balls to show Chonan vs Anderson :]

What is your opinion?

Well why would the UFC want to promote fighters that aren't in the UFC?

It isn't so much a promotion in my eyes. I would show the other fighters who are not in the UFC because 3/4's of the population that watch the show should already know who they are or don't find motivation to find out. It is for the sake of history in my book.

It is going to be very tough to have a best of PRIDE show without it being full of current UFC fighters. With the glaringly obvious exception of one, all of the best PRIDE fighters are now in the UFC.

When you say PRIDE, fans think...

Wanderlei, Noguiera, Shogun, Gomi, Rampage, etc...

So other than the big guy, and now Hendo (good riddance in my book) all the best fights in PRIDE's history will feature at least one UFC guy.

Dana has stated that it will NOT be just the Pride fighters that are in UFC. That being said I wouldnt have expected the first show to be unlike it was. There have been a lot of new fans since Pride has been bought out, many of whom know nothing about Pride. So it makes since that the first show consisted of faces that would be more familiar to new fans. I take Dana at his word on this and fully expect to see fighters that are not in UFC as the show progresses.

Archived