GSP doesn't want to fight friends @ MW!

2pac

Just wondering why people on this forum agree with GSP not wanting to fight friends at MW but when Anderson Silva says he will not fight friends such as Machida, everybody gets angry and say that AS is picking who he fights, I don't get it. If GSP is planning to move up in the future but doesn't want to fight friends in MW then where are the people that were hatin on AS for basically making the same comment about fighting friends that GSP did?

Just wondering why people on this forum agree with GSP not wanting to fight friends at MW but when Anderson Silva says he will not fight friends such as Machida' date=' everybody gets angry and say that AS is picking who he fights, I don't get it. If GSP is planning to move up in the future but doesn't want to fight friends in MW then where are the people that were hatin on AS for basically making the same comment about fighting friends that GSP did?[/quote']

i dont wanna see anybody fighting training partners, they know each others games too well to make it worth while

The average user on this forum could tell you most UFC fightrers games so imo thats kinda irrelevant. If you refuse a fight you should be cut regardless if its your best pal, brother, mother etc.

Its the fight business and so many ppl are friends its inevitable that somewhere along the line your gonna fight a friend, get over it or quit is my opinion. Not that the fighters give a **** about my opinion but whatever..

The average user on this forum could tell you most UFC fightrers games so imo thats kinda irrelevant. If you refuse a fight you should be cut regardless if its your best pal' date=' brother, mother etc.

Its the fight business and so many ppl are friends its inevitable that somewhere along the line your gonna fight a friend, get over it or quit is my opinion. Not that the fighters give a **** about my opinion but whatever..[/quote']

trying to get ready for the same person that is in your camp would be bad, esp in close nit camps like jacksons, if nate the great is champ when gsp goes up and he doesnt wanna fight for the belt then he shouldnt have to

The average user on this forum could tell you most UFC fightrers games so imo thats kinda irrelevant. If you refuse a fight you should be cut regardless if its your best pal' date=' brother, mother etc.

Its the fight business and so many ppl are friends its inevitable that somewhere along the line your gonna fight a friend, get over it or quit is my opinion. Not that the fighters give a **** about my opinion but whatever..[/quote']

this... i hate when guys say they wont fight each other because they are friends what a bunch of bull if they are that good of friends then fighting each other for 50,000+...... hell i know i would fight my buddies for that much money especially if i fought for a living

Just part of th double standard people have for their favorite fighters in comparison with other fighters.

Nog, Couture, Mir all beat Tim Sylvia and Sylvia is said to be worthless anyway so those wins mean nothing...

Fedor beats Sylvia and he is said to be a top 10 HW that would beat everyone in the UFC...

Serra hits GSP with a punch that landed behind his ear and it is "lucky", or "a fluke" and proves nothing..

Lesnar hits Couture with the exact same punch in the exact same place, after being schooled by Randy all fight long, and he is hailed as the best thing in MMA since the RNC and he gets praised for beating Couture.

Randy uses Greco to hold Vera against the fence, completely control the entire fight other than one breif moment when Vera rocked him and he is called boring, lay n pray, washed up....

GSP, Rashad, and a few others use their wrestling to hold their opponent down, and control the opponent on the ground , and get a point victory and they are said to be dominant, doing what they have to do to win, and the W is the important part....

Rampage, in a fight with Wandi that is very motionally charged and intense, continues to throw in the moment after Wandi is downed and people go nuts about how brutal and unsportsmanlike Rampage is...

Hendo drops a bomb on an obviously unconscious Bisping out of pure malice and "just to shut him up", breaking every unwritten rule in competitve martial arts, and he is lauded as a hero and Bisping got what he deserves......

Kimbo comes in from a shady background and people go off about he is undeserving, overhyped and placated to...

Brock comes in from a shady background, is handd a title shot after 3 fights, is hyped and placated by the UFC, and people go on about his greatness and actually think he has a legit shot at Fedor and is most deserving to fight him to represent the UFC.

It just makes no sense to me, but of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, no matter how much their fanhood skews their perspective.

Just part of th double standard people have for their favorite fighters in comparison with other fighters.

Nog' date=' Couture, Mir all beat Tim Sylvia and Sylvia is said to be worthless anyway so those wins mean nothing...

Fedor beats Sylvia and he is said to be a top 10 HW that would beat everyone in the UFC...

Serra hits GSP with a punch that landed behind his ear and it is "lucky", or "a fluke" and proves nothing..

Lesnar hits Couture with the exact same punch in the exact same place, after being schooled by Randy all fight long, and he is hailed as the best thing in MMA since the RNC and he gets praised for beating Couture.

Randy uses Greco to hold Vera against the fence, completely control the entire fight other than one breif moment when Vera rocked him and he is called boring, lay n pray, washed up....

GSP, Rashad, and a few others use their wrestling to hold their opponent down, and control the opponent on the ground , and get a point victory and they are said to be dominant, doing what they have to do to win, and the W is the important part....

Rampage, in a fight with Wandi that is very motionally charged and intense, continues to throw in the moment after Wandi is downed and people go nuts about how brutal and unsportsmanlike Rampage is...

Hendo drops a bomb on an obviously unconscious Bisping out of pure malice and "just to shut him up", breaking every unwritten rule in competitve martial arts, and he is lauded as a hero and Bisping got what he deserves......

Kimbo comes in from a shady background and people go off about he is undeserving, overhyped and placated to...

Brock comes in from a shady background, is handd a title shot after 3 fights, is hyped and placated by the UFC, and people go on about his greatness and actually think he has a legit shot at Fedor and is most deserving to fight him to represent the UFC.

It just makes no sense to me, but of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, no matter how much their fanhood skews their perspective.[/quote']

Although your post has nothing to do with moving up a weightclass and shouldn't have been posted here, I agree with everything you said.

trying to get ready for the same person that is in your camp would be bad' date=' esp in close nit camps like jacksons, if nate the great is champ when gsp goes up and he doesnt wanna fight for the belt then he shouldnt have to[/quote']

I totally understand where your coming from, however they fight to be the best and to compete aganst the best so i believe they should fight whoever is put infront of them.

this... i hate when guys say they wont fight each other because they are friends what a bunch of bull if they are that good of friends then fighting each other for 50' date='000+...... hell i know i would fight my buddies for that much money especially if i fought for a living[/quote']

At the minute i would fight my mother for 50k :)

Did you see Silva vs Leites ? Silva didn't want to fight him' date=' imagine Silva vs Machida.[/quote']

Off topic and the funniest thing ive heard in a bit. Leites was the one that kept falling down in fear of getting hit, he was a coward, silva came for a mma match not a jitsu match and everyones not always gonna see the perfect opening some ppl are gonna have one boring fight get over it, if Leites wants it on the ground thats cool but do somethin to make it happen takedown/pull guard etc. dont flop down and prey he comes. thats why hes off the radar now. Not everyone is gonna be a Silva fan and thats cool but take that garbage elsewhere

onto the topic I can understand not bein able to hit friends, I'd like to think since were doin what we love that we can throw down and then go chill together afterwards and talk bout how we gave it our all but u gotta see there point, that being said if you wont do it then u gotta face the consequences on not takin the opportunity, costing u title shots etc. will be a down side of that, if they give GSP anderson immediately which will probably happen which also isnt fair then it wont matter.

Although your post has nothing to do with moving up a weightclass and shouldn't have been posted here' date=' I agree with everything you said.[/quote']

It is a direct reply to the original question of this thread..

Why is it OK for GSP to say he won't fight friends at MW but not OK for Silva to say the same thing?

That was the original question, and that is my opinion on the answer.

Nog' date=' Couture, Mir all beat Tim Sylvia and Sylvia is said to be worthless anyway so those wins mean nothing...

It just makes no sense to me, but of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, no matter how much their fanhood skews their perspective.[/quote']

I get what your trying to say but you made some claims that just group fighters together. First of all GSP Couture and Rashad are all very different fighters. Granted all three have great wrestling but in my book they arent event comparable. Secondly by posting this your doing the same thing your complaining about. Your showing you think it's ok for Rampage to hit a downed opponent but not for Hendo? You contradict your self to such a high degree I've lost respect for you.

Why is it OK for GSP to say he won't fight friends at MW but not OK for Silva to say the same thing?

Yeah, what's up with that? Both fighters are two of the best P4P fighters in the world, but AS says he won't fight Machida and it's a big deal. GSP says he won't fight friends at MW if/when he moved up, and it's ok? What's up with that?

Well I like GSP, but having slagged off Silva then I have to say I am a little dissapointed with GSP, who I always thought was a true pro. Fighters from the same camp have and will continue to fight each other - Milletich used to ask the junior member to train elsewhere in the build up to the fight, as with Riggs vs Hughes but was welcomed back afterwards. My only hope is the people GSP does not want to fight are not the people he would be matched up best with, or real pick em fights like Silva vs Machida. Fighting is a lonely sport, you are on your own and teams only exist to train fighters. No one should be allowed to choose their own fights if the match up is one that is important for the heirachy of the division.

I like the respect both guys show for their friends. I'll admit at first I was dissapointed when Silva said he would never fight Machida. But I've come around. These guys are in it for more than just a pay check. Friends mean more to them than money. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I get what your trying to say but you made some claims that just group fighters together. First of all GSP Couture and Rashad are all very different fighters. Granted all three have great wrestling but in my book they arent event comparable. Secondly by posting this your doing the same thing your complaining about. Your showing you think it's ok for Rampage to hit a downed opponent but not for Hendo? You contradict your self to such a high degree I've lost respect for you.

Where do I contradict myself?

Sure they are all very different fighters, (and btw I think Couture is far beyond Rashad, and GSP is catching up) but still the double standard applies . I see no difference between Randy's Greco/octagon control for a points win and anyone else's wrestling/octagon control for a points win-BORING! But Randy is lambasted in the public eye while the others are praised.

And just compare the situations with Rampage and Hendo. Rampage is known to be a very emotional type fighter and in the fight I mentioned his own momentum and urgency to finish the fight carried him past the KO and a few more strikes happened. This is common in MMA and I have no problem with it, it happens.

But Hendo admitted to the fact that he knew Bisping was out, but dropped the bomb anyway just to satify his personal dislike and for good measure.

Having some fight experience myself, this is ten times as offensive to me. Being the respected and experienced professional he is, he is supposed to be better than that. Yet he is praised for it, and Rampage is blasted. Hendo put himself in this by stating pretty plainly that he knew the extra elbow was unnecessary and Bisping was out but he did it anyway "just to shut him up a little more".

Where do I contradict myself?

Sure they are all very different fighters' date=' (and btw I think Couture is far beyond Rashad, and GSP is catching up) but still the double standard applies . I see no difference between Randy's Greco/octagon control for a points win and anyone else's wrestling/octagon control for a points win-BORING! But Randy is lambasted in the public eye while the others are praised.

And just compare the situations with Rampage and Hendo. Rampage is known to be a very emotional type fighter and in the fight I mentioned his own momentum and urgency to finish the fight carried him past the KO and a few more strikes happened. This is common in MMA and I have no problem with it, it happens.

But Hendo admitted to the fact that he knew Bisping was out, but dropped the bomb anyway just to satify his personal dislike and for good measure.

Having some fight experience myself, this is ten times as offensive to me. Being the respected and experienced professional he is, he is supposed to be better than that. Yet he is praised for it, and Rampage is blasted. Hendo put himself in this by stating pretty plainly that he knew the extra elbow was unnecessary and Bisping was out but he did it anyway "just to shut him up a little more".[/quote']

Thanks for clearing it up, It just came across differently the first time I read it. Anyways I think that there are a few differences. I don't think GSP has ever gone into a fight with the idea of eeking out a points victory using his wrestling. I'm a big fan so I might be a little biased but he is extremely active on the ground and just because he couldn't finish it doesn't mean he was going for a points victory. I personally find his ground work very exciting. He's always landing strikes or passing guard.

The last fight with Couture didn't look like he had any hopes of finishing it. That may have been because Vera is that skilled and nullified any offense that Couture could muster from the Clinch. So to me it looked like the definition of LNP. Not to bash on Couture I think he is an incredible fighter. But because his offense wasn't working and decided to stick with it he took some slack. Rashad was kind of in the same boat. I dislike Rashad for various reasons but regaurdless I feel that he did nothing with his takedowns besides succeed at wasting time. He did however wear down Thiago so props for that but I don't think that should be enough to get the nod from the judges. Rashad and Randy did not dominate their opponents to the degree that GSP did. Again maybe bias showing through but it seems plain as day to me.

The Hendo shot was cheap I'm not disagreeing with you I would put it up there with the babalu choke and Trigg going in for the kill after an obvious groin strike on Hughes.

Fans have bias's and many people don't like Bisping and enjoyed what they saw (wrong or not) everybody loves wandy and may have taken the Rampage scenario too far.

Anyways you didn't contradict yourself as much as I thought.

Just wondering why people on this forum agree with GSP not wanting to fight friends at MW but when Anderson Silva says he will not fight friends such as Machida' date=' everybody gets angry and say that AS is picking who he fights, I don't get it. If GSP is planning to move up in the future but doesn't want to fight friends in MW then where are the people that were hatin on AS for basically making the same comment about fighting friends that GSP did?[/quote']

It's an excuse... He knows that Nate the Great would eat his lunch.

Yeah' date=' what's up with that? Both fighters are two of the best P4P fighters in the world, but AS says he won't fight Machida and it's a big deal. GSP says he won't fight friends at MW if/when he moved up, and it's ok? What's up with that?[/quote']

Im so tired of this Silva would own Machida. There are alot more 205ers that anderson needs to fight think about it.Im on Shoguns side anyways once they fight again no more Silva Machida talk Cause shogun will win for the second time. And who gives a dam about GSP he dominates guys he is bigger than then is to scared to move up. He doesnt even belong in the same ring as Nate the great or Anderson.Thats why he will never move up HES A CHUMP, I hate brits but i want Dan Hardy to beat the **** out of GSP

Im so tired of this Silva would own Machida. There are alot more 205ers that anderson needs to fight think about it.Im on Shoguns side anyways once they fight again no more Silva Machida talk Cause shogun will win for the second time. And who gives a dam about GSP he dominates guys he is bigger than then is to scared to move up. He doesnt even belong in the same ring as Nate the great or Anderson.Thats why he will never move up HES A CHUMP' date=' I hate brits but i want Dan Hardy to beat the **** out of GSP[/quote']

For every intelligent post theres a hundred like this.

Im so tired of this Silva would own Machida. There are alot more 205ers that anderson needs to fight think about it.Im on Shoguns side anyways once they fight again no more Silva Machida talk Cause shogun will win for the second time. And who gives a dam about GSP he dominates guys he is bigger than then is to scared to move up. He doesnt even belong in the same ring as Nate the great or Anderson.Thats why he will never move up HES A CHUMP' date=' I hate brits but i want Dan Hardy to beat the **** out of GSP[/quote']

Freaking Dana white needs to give him an IMMEDIATE TITLE SHOT in the LHW as soon as he slays Vitor so he can allow this man to make history before he retires.

In my opinion, this should be Anderson's next 4 fights:

Vitor Belfort (Which is happening) at MW.

Machida/Shogun winner for the LHW title.

Nate Marquardt at MW.

GSP at MW.

Then he can retire being truly the best P4P fighter this sport has ever seen, and he would have to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

if you knew anything you'd know that the heaviest gsp has been before cutting weight is 185 when other than penn and serra the rest of them have all been around 200, go learn some stuff before spouting it.

Freaking Dana white needs to give him an IMMEDIATE TITLE SHOT in the LHW as soon as he slays Vitor so he can allow this man to make history before he retires.

In my opinion' date=' this should be Anderson's next 4 fights:

Vitor Belfort (Which is happening) at MW.

Machida/Shogun winner for the LHW title.

Nate Marquardt at MW.

GSP at MW.

Then he can retire being truly the best P4P fighter this sport has ever seen, and he would have to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.[/quote']

+1

though id rather see the fight at a catchweight

Silva WILL destroy GSP... And that fight WILL happen at some point. GSP is going up to MW' date=' this screams title shot to me.

Silva by (T)KO in the 1st round, easy.[/quote']

Of course GSP has MW title aspirations if he is even considering the move. Your opinion that Silva will knock him out is very common but we will see. (If the fight does ever happen) I personally don't think it will.

I believe GSP has the strength and athleticism that Silva has not encountered yet. Especially if GSP can be close to the same weight on fight day. I don't think it will be as easy for Silva as many think.

Of course GSP has MW title aspirations if he is even considering the move. Your opinion that Silva will knock him out is very common but we will see. (If the fight does ever happen) I personally don't think it will.

I believe GSP has the strength and athleticism that Silva has not encountered yet. Especially if GSP can be close to the same weight on fight day. I don't think it will be as easy for Silva as many think.

this....

i think silva will prob get a tko or ko in the late rounds, gsps shower he can hammer away guys with even great chins and with him getting faster and more powerfull it might be getting closer than we think

He survived A Hendo take down GSP doent stand a chance.

He survived A Hendo take down GSP doent stand a chance.

Man it's like you prove my point without me even needing to. This is the third or fourth ignorant post by you alone in this single thread. First of all Hendo is an excellent wrestler but his wrestling style is different than GSP's. Hendo is a greco-roman wrestler and one of the best at it. Greco primarily uses takedowns from the clinch. GSP is a great mma wrestler. He doesn't have a background in wrestling so his training was strickly for mma.

His wrestling is based on shooting which he sets up perfectly with his strikes or the opponents strikes. He transitions perfectly from one to the other. I think his takedown skills are better suited for MMA IMO. GSP is a genetically gifted athlete. He was the strongest kid in his highschool at 13-14. If he can put on good weight I think he has a legitimate shot.

Man it's like you prove my point without me even needing to. This is the third or fourth ignorant post by you alone in this single thread. First of all Hendo is an excellent wrestler but his wrestling style is different than GSP's. Hendo is a greco-roman wrestler and one of the best at it. Greco primarily uses takedowns from the clinch. GSP is a great mma wrestler. He doesn't have a background in wrestling so his training was strickly for mma.

His wrestling is based on shooting which he sets up perfectly with his strikes of the opponents strikes. He transitions perfectly from one to the other. I think his takedown skills are better suited for MMA IMO. GSP is a genetically gifted athlete. He was the strongest kid in his highschool at 13-14. If he can put on good weight I think he has a legitimate shot.

What i meant by that is that hendo had him on the ground if you think GSP is gonna throw a two piece and go for a single leg he will be dominated it will be a striking clinic.

I think it's funny how people say straight out one guy is going to smash another based on their biases. All i'm saying is GSP has a shot and giving the reasons why. I don't think people give him the respect he has earned.

I also think that Vitor has a good chance against Silva. Everyone is looking past this guy and I think it's a mistake.

I dont understand you GSP has the better mma wrestling look at Hendos and Randys careers i would say Greco is much better suited for mma.

I think Greco may be better suited for most athletes. But when you can explode into a single or double the way GSP does it's a different story. I havent seen anybody in any of the fights I have seen mix striking and wrestling as well as GSP. I don't think many people are capable of doing what GSP does. He's fought accomplished wrestlers and just dominated them at their own sport.

Hendo may be the better pure wrestler but it's not the same in the ring. Striking ads an entirely new dimension to the take downs. GSP's athletic ability allows him to avoid damage with his takedowns. For Greco wrestlers they need to get in close and muscle their opponent against the fence. This can be bad especially against a guy like Anderson Silva. Just saying i think GSP's wrestling is better suiting to face Silva. But we have only one way of knowing.

I think Greco may be better suited for most athletes. But when you can explode into a single or double the way GSP does it's a different story. I havent seen anybody in any of the fights I have seen mix striking and wrestling as well as GSP. I don't think many people are capable of doing what GSP does. He's fought accomplished wrestlers and just dominated them at their own sport.

Hendo may be the better pure wrestler but it's not the same in the ring. Striking ads an entirely new dimension to the take downs. GSP's athletic ability allows him to avoid damage with his takedowns. For Greco wrestlers they need to get in close and muscle their opponent against the fence. This can be bad especially against a guy like Anderson Silva. Just saying i think GSP's wrestling is better suiting to face Silva. But we have only one way of knowing.

this...

your posts are annoying:rolleyes:

Thats a good point but the wrestlers hes dominated are much smaller than him he would have alot of trouble against a bigger wrestler. I do think greco is a much better way to go against Anderson though get him against the cage muscle him around get him out of his comfort zone. If you throw hands with him to open up takedowns you may get caught yourself.

Archived